[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Casing Material

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

I saw online the different kinds of casing for ammunition you can buy. Steel casing is cheap, but dosent expand as good as brass.
brass expands good and is reasonably priced.
aluminum im not sure, I heard it is lighter which does add up if your storing in ammo cans, and it is anti corrosive like brass, it also expands the same, if not better than brass so your chamber is properly sealed.

I also saw plastic casing but it sounds kinda retarded.

your thoughts /k/?
>>
Aluminum is fine like brass
>>
I exclusively use brass since that's what most guns are designed for.
>>
Aluminum is typically trash ammo, OP. Brass is best because it expands the best, and it's gentle on the extractors compared to steel.
>>
>>34393502
I know this is gonna sound faggy, but brass is boring. The only reason I dont use steel (which looks badass) is because its shite for your gun. Is there no alternative to brass that is exceptionally, or atleast slightly better?
>>
>>34393689
Yeah, aluminum.
>>
>>34393502
Federal Aluminum is literally loaded identically to Federal Brass. I suspect the same is true of Blazer.
Same powder, same bullets, same primers, same velocity. The only difference is the case.
I've shot a couple thousand rounds of Federal aluminum through my guns now, and I don't have anything bad to say about them, though some people kvetch that aluminum oxide on the surface of the case will sand their chamber. I think that's an unfounded concern.

I hope more manufacturers climb aboard the aluminum case trend - especially if they start nickel plating them.
>>
I run steel case in guns designed for it - AKs and CZ 527s - because it's a fucking quarter the price of anything else and I don't have to handload.
>>
>>34393361
Brass provides the best expansion and is USUALLY (note: not always) the best type of casing for a firearm.
Steel is almost always cheaper unless we're talking collectible ammo.
No, it doesn't expand as nicely so firearms normally experience more fowling with steel case but with modern firearms this should not be a problem.
The other problem is that "they're hard on extractors"
Why this is spouted everywhere I have no idea. I have pretty much only ever fired steel cased ammo from my firearms and they work identically and I've never had to replace an extractor OR an ejector, nor have I noticed excessive wear when swapping from brass to steel casings.

Aluminum is shit.
Worse than both brass and steel.
Normally not cheaper.
Some guns outright refuse to feed it, from what I've heard, but not having anything that they make aluminum cases ammo for, I really can't provide any examples of it being shit and not feeding properly.

And plastic is used in shotgun shells all the time.
>>
>>34393842
i saw a plastic 5.56 box, i dont understand it tho
>>
>>34393870
...something seems off.
Are we talking about the bullet or the casing?
Do you remember the brand?
Can you give me a link to a box, anon?

I mean, I've seen plastic .308 that's meant as ultra low velocity/pressure rounds that won't travel through a wall, but I haven't seen 5.56 done that way.
>>
>>34393884
speaking of plastic 308, there's the German training 308s.
Though they're meant to be used with a special direct blowback bolt in the G3.
>>
I've shot thousands of steel case wolf and tula through AR's (SBR, suppressed), handguns (sometimes suppressed), and other guns without any issue. People regurgitate the same shit they hear without any personal experience and spew stupid shit. When testing versus other 5.56, the wolf 223 is usually faster and groups better. Not to mention the casings disintegrate within a couple years or less innawoods.
>>
File: dsc00401-2-w640h640.jpg (47KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
dsc00401-2-w640h640.jpg
47KB, 640x640px
>>34393884
http://www.handgunsandammunition.com/ammo-discussion/355-imi-plastic-cased-5-56-ammo.html

saw it on a thread a whiles back, havent seen it since but you can still find pics of the casing online.
>>
File: Shell-Shock-NAS3.png (337KB, 1429x714px) Image search: [Google]
Shell-Shock-NAS3.png
337KB, 1429x714px
I'm thinking of buying the dies and "brass" from shellshock. It's a two piece case using different alloys. If the claims are true it's going to be an evolutionary step in casing. I'm interested in it for testing the pressure ratings they are advertising. 65,000 PSI for 9mm think about the possibilities for 10mm! You can also anodize the case heads for identifying specific loads etc... which is worth it alone.

>https://www.shellshocktechnologies.com/
>>
File: 1498312662530.jpg (46KB, 665x574px) Image search: [Google]
1498312662530.jpg
46KB, 665x574px
>>34393842
>I've never had to replace an extractor OR an ejector
By the time you put enough rounds through it to break or wear down an extractor/ejector to failure, you'd probably have already replaced every other damn part on the gun too.
But God forbid you have to replace one of the least expensive parts of your gun 5% sooner.
>>
>>34393928
that looks badass
>>
Nickel plated brass is my favourite to reload.
>THE BLING FACTOR
>Usually the ammunition that was loaded originally with the nickel casing have found to have more consistent dimensions.
>Dat corrosion resistance.
You can't really reload steel or aluminum, but I do run the shit out of both.
I'm honestly wish just pure copper casings were available just for the pure aesthetic.
>>
>>34393969
Wow. I suck at typing.
Sorry guys.
You get my point though.
>>
>>34393973
I think you are a wonderful person and you should follow all of your plans and dreams in life. Have a nice night.
>>
File: american-bullet-inset-2.jpg (192KB, 1333x816px) Image search: [Google]
american-bullet-inset-2.jpg
192KB, 1333x816px
>>34393954
Here's a pic of the anodized cases. Awesome feature alone for being at the range and keeping brass thieves away. It'll be interesting when more data is available from third parties. Right now you have to use their dies and it's only available in 9mm I believe. It's cheaper and lighter than brass to boot.
>>
>>34393361
>Steel casing is cheap, but dosent expand as good as brass.

OK it is not just that brass will expand and seal it is also that it will try and shrink back to original shape so it can be extracted.
>>
>>34394029
Thanks man.
>>
>>34393799
What I don't get is that every time I'm at Wal-Mart the federal brass is cheaper than their aluminum.

I always get brass for indoor ranges and a box or two of tulammo for outdoor because it's substantially cheaper.
>>
>>34396601
Economies of scale I'd imagine.
>>
>>34393928

>magnetic
Good luck ever getting to use it at most ranges
>>
>>34393689
Nickel plated brass is /fa/ as fuck.
>>
File: 1457848411220.jpg (70KB, 1023x575px) Image search: [Google]
1457848411220.jpg
70KB, 1023x575px
>>34393928
>ejects cool to touch
>residual heat isn't sunk into brass but instead stays in chamber until cook off temperature
>>
>>34396601
Was only that way starting a few months ago. IIRC Walmart is doing clearance on brass, before then Federal brass was $2-$5 more expensive per box.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.