[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Knifes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 13

File: Combat Knife.jpg (6KB, 318x159px) Image search: [Google]
Combat Knife.jpg
6KB, 318x159px
Hi /k/, I'm looking for a good survival knife or combat knife for camping,do you know of any good knives that are also not too expensive?
Also Combat knife general!
>>
just any old surplus knife
>>
>>34386058
How much you're willing to expend bro?

If you want something for camping / survival your main focus should be how good it is at working with wood since you will most likely be cutting sticks to make some retarded hut or some campfire.

The fighting parts comes last because you can literally sharpen a stick and use it as a spear if you need against some animal and it will be better than trying to go melee with a fucking knoife.

Also buy a little saw too because saw > axe > knoife.
>>
>>34386087
Well I'd say about 100 to 120$ tops.
Also I mainly want it too cut wood and sticks as you said for making a fire and stuff.
>>
>>34386087
>saw, axe, knife
how is a saw better than an axe? it packs easy, but besides that an axe is more versatile and powerful. if I bring a saw with me camping, it's because I already have an axe.
>>
>combat knife
Don't.

Depends on your budget though. if you got 60 bucks i couldn't recomend the Esee Izula more. If you got some good money to spend though, the Esee 6 is a great mid sized knife to use for most things.

if you're more budget concious, Mora makes some decent bushcraft knives.

If you want something more traditional, any of the Jeff White knives are good. they're all modeled on knives from the frontier days.
>>
actually nevermind if you're going innawoods you should prolly bring both because a saw barely adds anything to your pack
>>
File: 1469649074211.jpg (145KB, 750x884px) Image search: [Google]
1469649074211.jpg
145KB, 750x884px
>>34386058
Buck 119 or any mora

they're proven
>>
https://www.amazon.com/Schrade-SCHF52-Frontier-Fixed-Blade/dp/B011US7KWQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498659711&sr=8-1&keywords=schf52
>>
>>34386144
If you're in a survival situation you can build a full shelter (including retarded shit like a lifted bed, cocking tripod, etc) while wasting less calories, faster and with less chance of hurting yourself than with an axe.
And that's because if you're really in a survival situation you're probably scared shitless with adrenaline everywhere.
Swinging an axe while nervous as fuck and freezing is bad dude.
Sawing shit is easy as fuck even if you're hurt or wasted or freezing even I that am a retard can make a a camp with a little shelter, place to cook and a little chair in 3 to 4h tops. If I had to chop wood and batton shit all day it would take way longer and also way more effort.

With 100 bucks that anon can buy both a nice cheap mora and a cheapo bahco laplander saw for example and that beats any axe or a 200 dollar knife.

>>34386120
Try to get something that's full tang (there's a mora that's full tang, I don't trust the other ones too much if you want to slap that shit).

Stay away from gerber shit.
Since you said 100~120 bucks. You should check link, it's actually a really good quality simple knife with good steel that is awesome for wood work.
This puuko btw is a mora on steroids.
https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/terava-jaakaripuukko-140-stainless-steel/53694
And the remaining cash you buy a nice little folding saw like the bahco I told you, If you got extra money get a silky saw because that shit is like a lightsaber on wood.

You can also ignore the cheap but decent setup with saw / knife and go full retards with a more expensive and bigger knoife check the following and do your research about them.
>SOG Jungle Primitive
>ESEE Junglas
>Kershaw Camp 10
>Survive Knives GSO 10

Also I hate fucking shrade shit but some people say the Schrade SCHF43 is good but it looks like shit and I hate chink shit.

Shit I wrote a lot fucking hell.
>>
>>34386247
I like the simpler stuff and I don't need any of that fancy full blown commando shit, the one in the link looks pretty good
>>
>>34386247
don't get yourself into a shitty situation, axes are still more useful overall. of course axes take more effort, but you get more out of them.
>>
>>34386615
>don't get yourself into a shitty situation
>Why have guns if you can just not be mugged by niggers?
>>
Recommendation of the best outdoorsman I ever knew was to buy a cheap survival knife for the rare situations when you needed a big blade, and have a decent quality pocket knife (he carried an Old Timer) for the millions of things where a knife is really important. He would nearly always backpack with a machete as well, said he used that in Alaska permafrost, Florida swamp, and New Mexico desert more than any other piece of equipment.
>>
>>34386648
>>34386144 (You) #
>that's because if you're really in a survival situation you're probably scared shitless with adrenaline everywhere.
Swinging an axe while nervous as fuck and freezing is bad dude.
yeah, you shouldn't be freezing. the best way to not get robbed is to stay out of dark alleyways in detroit at night, even if you carry a gun. i'm safer in a small rural town in idaho with no gun that with a gun in detroit. sure you can bring a saw cause they're light and easy to pack, but an axe will usually be more useful. I don't pack expecting to get into a life-or-death situation, I still want to be prepared.
>>
>>34386787
wew i suck at formatting
>>
File: glocks.jpg (56KB, 1024x772px) Image search: [Google]
glocks.jpg
56KB, 1024x772px
>>34386058
Cheap but excellent: Mora Companion. stianless steel, easy to sharpen, light, good sheath.

more tacticool. Glock Field knife. Get the unserrated spine version. It's basically a blunt blade blank you can regrind into anything you want. best sheath in the knfe world. solid spring steel blade - will rust though so keep it greased up in the sheath. staple for many cops and military dudes who need to drive home the point how leet they are.
>>
File: 1e27e4cc.jpg (83KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1e27e4cc.jpg
83KB, 960x540px
>>34386822
>>
>>34386858
>>
I was browsing the benchmade 555 mini and some bowie knife just to own a knife. I live in cali, are these knives good for my environment?
>>
>>34386914
yeah. not many environments it wouldn't be good for
>>
File: IMG_20170628_184553.jpg (3MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170628_184553.jpg
3MB, 4128x3096px
I just found this. Is it work anything?
>>
>>34387438

it's a buck 110 knockoff. Considering the real deal is $40 on amazon, no.
>>
>>34386058
survival knife = heavie
combat knife = light

mix it and its fine but not perfect
training with a combat knif since a few months and its easy with light ones.
>>
>>34386822
think they discontinued the 78 the only glock knife in stock is the sawbacks which is a shame cause the flatback was better
>>
File: Knives.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Knives.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
My little collection
>>
>>34386058
>survival knife or combat knife

Pick one

MOD survival knife for survival.

Sykes Fairbairn for fighting. U are then gud.
>>
File: IMG_0333.png (3MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0333.png
3MB, 750x1334px
I pack a Busse Team Gemini but one of those is going to run you $400+
>>
>>34386058
Get a Buck nighthawk

>tough as a brick shithouse
>good profile for cutting
>good profile for deep stabbing
>super comfy grip
>not too expensive
>good warranty
>>
File: Vlad-rifle-baby.jpg (840KB, 1809x2200px) Image search: [Google]
Vlad-rifle-baby.jpg
840KB, 1809x2200px
>>34386058
Buy a Glock 81 field knife.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170628-190905.jpg (575KB, 1234x818px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170628-190905.jpg
575KB, 1234x818px
>>34386058
Ka-bar BK2.
You won't break it.
>>
>>34390263
The bk10 is a much better knife
>>
>>34386247
I have that full tang mora. It's a. Awesome knife, with one exception. No guard.
If you're in an actual survival situation, the last thing you need is your hand sliding forward over the blade.
>>
>>34390310
I'm so fucking tired of the Morakniv fad. They are a DECENT bushcraft and field knife. They are not some space age steel Glock polymer handle scales knife with a built in cocksucking machine.
>>
>>34390306
I like the flat back of the BK2 for my ferro rod.
>>
>>34390310
You over paid for a fad item

It won't perform any better than the basic $10 models
>>
>>34390359
Correct!
>>
>>34390330
They are cheap and get the job done.
OP wanted a simple knife for shit that the mora and some others excel at.

Or do you want to tell OP to go buy some bark river or dark timber custom knives and blow 800 bucks on it? when all he's gonna do is make some feather sticks to light a fucking fire?

Or you think OP will go on a knife fight against a bear?
>>
>>34390330
That's true, but they are a decent knife for the price. And the full tang one is really decent. Just go with the leather sheath,not the tacticool one.
>>
>>34390376
No. What I'm trying to say is Mora is not what people make them out to be. They are not special, they are not good. Neither is Bark River with their money stealing Jew of a CEO nor is Dark Timber.
>>
>>34390359
Correct, except the chance of it breaking in a hard use situation is lower.
>>
>>34390359
You're just paying for the full tang on that mora, it's the same as the cheapo one but won't break as easily if you go full retard.

I prefer that puukko from >>34386247
It's a better mora.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170628-193144.jpg (608KB, 813x1288px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170628-193144.jpg
608KB, 813x1288px
>>34386058
Schrade extreme survival. One piece construction, and has a little room for some extras.
Protip- shitcan the garbage sheath and buy one that works with your setup.
>>
>>34386058
Id check out ontario knife company, they have a lot of classic and some new knives that can do double duty. Esee and fallkniven are both kinda pricey but really respected in the survival world(iirc). The lack of a good cross guard is a slight knock on them though imo.

>>34386120
Frankly id strongly recommend an axe and a smaller knife. A knife will never cut wood like an axe does and many designs that will handle normal stress fine may break over time if you repeatedly try to chop or baton wood with them. A moderately priced hatchet and moderately priced ~4" knife will be much better at handling wood chopping and more delicate tasks while pulling double duty with a 10" full tang .25" thick knife is gonna get old fast.

>>34390020
so, do you think "combat knives" get like an extra +2 base damage or something?
>>
>>34390609
>so, do you think "combat knives" get like an extra +2 base damage or something?

They are tools for a different purpose and designed that way. If you don't know these then you are just another underage summerfag.
>>
>>34390418

What even makes a knife special? It's just a chunk of sharp steel.
For me they're perfect.
>light
>sharp as fuck out of the box
>easy to sharpen
>good steel

What more do you need? A higher pricetag so you can get a tiny dopamine rush every time you see it, because it's so special, and now you are for owning it?

>>34390431
You know, I've never once seen a mora fail because of the tang. I have seen a video where the blade snapped, but that's it.
>>
>>34390655
>actually summerfagging people who obviously aren't new here
wow, its like "kid" fagging all over again.

>tools for different purposes
The fairbairn-sykes knife always has been and always will be a meme tier weapon.

even if you're spec ops 99.99% of what you're going to use a fixed blade for is either typical camp chores or field abuse like batoning shit or prying things. Acts that are sure to destroy the infamously fragile fairbairn-sykes in short order.

When first introduced the fairbairn-sykes was an anachronistic reference to a bygone era when people carried multiple edged implements for various tasks(included in which was fighting until almost 1900 in many places). Even then stiletto type and poinard type knives were mostly carried for their increased penetrative ability against armor than anything. You'll be hard pressed to find many historical references complaining about the stabbing power of utility design knives against unarmored opponents, and even then most of these will be due to a lack of length and not blade geometry.

This isn't to say that the design isn't marginally more efficient at the thrust than many of it's contemporaries, but there's good reason many special forces at the time didn't like it even when it came to sentry removal. This is because in real life severing a mans neck or aorta doesn't kill him quicker with a fairbairn brand fairbairn-sykes commando knife than it does with a KA-BAR or utility knife, and the former is much more likely to break off it's tip or even a significant portion of it's blade while your slamming around that half dead jap, frantically stabbing him repeatedly in the torso/abdomen and fishing around with the blade to cause maximum trauma and hopefully keep him busy. Subduing a large dangerous animal and stabbing it to death is just not a good job for a fragile weapon.
>>
>>34386058

Just get a bk 9, spend like 30 bucks for a kydex sheath.
>>
USMC K-Bar
>>
File: ON8848.jpg (23KB, 800x399px) Image search: [Google]
ON8848.jpg
23KB, 800x399px
this and a hatchet for camping

EK for fighting
>>
Kabar
>>
Check out Condor Knife & Tool. The bushlore is a great knife, and for $120 you could get one and have plenty of money left for an axe. And they're made by Salvadorans, who apparently take pride in their cutlery.
>>
File: large_1271_CRK2060_duo.jpg (93KB, 850x850px) Image search: [Google]
large_1271_CRK2060_duo.jpg
93KB, 850x850px
Just picked up a FTWS. Damn fine looking without being overtly obnoxious looking. Only negative about the knife itself is that the coating is a bit too much. That and the sheath is absolutely garbage. Gonna have to tear it apart to get at the hard plastic inside because of the retarded construction if I can't find an aftermarket sheath that can fit the knife.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.