[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Manual Safety: Necessity or liability?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 9

File: safety.jpg (125KB, 800x596px) Image search: [Google]
safety.jpg
125KB, 800x596px
I'm trying to pick a CCW and having a hell of a time with it. My biggest issue is manual safety versus DA pull versus trigger safety. I'd really rather not train for a safety or second trigger pull, but I'm not sure just how much safety I'm sacrificing for a simpler manual of arms. I certainly don't want to choke like a bitch with my life on the line squeezing a safe gun, but I also don't want to kneecap myself either.
General safety discussion welcome and encouraged.
>>
>>34385499
Depends on your needs
>I'd really rather not train
wth did i just read?
own all types of guns, not just memes
i own with and without manual safeties
if it's that big a deal, wear a helmet when you cross the street
buy a knife
then you can ask us which is the pointy end
tard
>>
File: Picture-4.jpg (101KB, 487x322px) Image search: [Google]
Picture-4.jpg
101KB, 487x322px
I prefer to carry with a safety and investing a little bit more time into practicing flicking it off on the draw, but that's just me. I like DA/SAs that you can cock and lock above all others - they give you the versatility to carry however you feel is necessary.
Two different kinds of trigger pulls are not an issue with DA/SAs, really. The lion's share of self defense shootings, police-involved and civilian, do not involve the use of iron sights and happen at point blank range, so chances are that it won't even matter, or you'll have the time to cock the hammer.

Don't think that not having a safety means you can train less - there's other -very- important considerations you have to take into account with any kind of safety-less gun, such as pic related.
>>
>>34385499
>I'm trying to ...I'd really rather not...I certainly don't want to..don't want to ...
read between the lines.
>>
On a single action pistol yes. Unless you have a shite heavy trigger.

For double action only or striker fired no.
>>
>>34385499

good idea. anyone whining about them getting in the way doesn't take training seriously enough.
>>
>>34385499
I've never carried a gun with a safety, a good kydex holster and trigger discipline is all you need.

People have DIED because they simply are unable, forget to, or struggle to disengage a safety. This simple fact keeps me from ever carry a gun with a safety.
>>
>>34385499
>This is my safety Sir.
But seriously, on handguns safeties are unnecessary. Same goes for DA pulls. Finger off the trigger until youre ready to shoot.
>>
>>34385620
>People have DIED because they simply are unable, forget to, or struggle to disengage a safety.
#1 NOTHING says you MUST use the safety
#2 it is there for a reason
#3 people have LIVED or prevented a ND because they had a safety
#4 stop being such an insufferable moron
>>
>>34385523
>wth did i just read?
A fragment of a sentence that in its entirety says I don't want to waste my limited training time on anything that is ultimately unnecessary.
>[indecipherable gibberish here]
What? Fucking phoneposters smbaka tbdesu fampai.

>>34385543
>I like DA/SAs that you can cock and lock above all others - they give you the versatility to carry however you feel is necessary.
This is why I'm strongly considering a CZ 75 or HK USP variant of I do decide on a manual safety. Any other good models like that? Preferably with both compact and full size options.
>Don't think that not having a safety means you can train less - there's other -very- important considerations you have to take into account with any kind of safety-less gun, such as pic related.
Well obviously you need a kydex holster, leather is just asking for 'glock leg'. What are some of the other considerations? Online resources are not great, so much JMB Fuddlore and Glock Perfection fanboyism in every post or article.

>>34385567
Y-You too...

>>34385571
>>34385630
There certainly is a large crowd that agrees with this sentiment, with most modern handguns trending towards trigger safety striker fired models.

>>34385620
>>34385631
There's benefits and risks to both, we'd only have one system if it were so clear cut. Accidentally engaging a safety can be as big of a problem as accidentally pulling the trigger, depending on the circumstances of either event.

Allow me to rephrase my line of inquiry: Which system would you recommend to someone who may only see a range once a week?
>>
>>34385499
Your lazy bitch ass will go with a glock and you will eventually nd because of your stupidity, lazyness and conformity.
>>
>>34385864
Glock or Glocklike. There's a reason almost every military and police force is using them, they just work.

>>34385876
Go be an autistic special snowflake hipster somewhere else.
>>
>>34385864
>ultimately unnecessary
do enjoy glock legging yourself
noguns faggot
>>
>>34385876
>stupidity, lazyness
How ironic.

>>34385892
I think a big part of that is also how dirt cheap they are.

>>34385896
I didn't say a manual safety or DA/SA system was ultimately unnecessary though, I was saying I would like to avoid them both IF they were.
>noguns faggot
Nohandguns yes, and basically every long gun has a safety so this has never been an issue for me before.
>>
>>34385543
Are you me, anon?

Personally, I want as many barriers preventing an ND as I can while still maintaining a reasonable draw time. Hell, I'd probably Israeli carry if the draw weren't so fiddly.
Realistically I will probably never need to fire my weapon in anger, so I figure that it just makes more sense to emphasize safety over shaving milliseconds off my draw time.
>but anon, if you're such a pussy then just don't carry
Life is all about tradeoffs and compromises.
>>
>>34385499
A holster is the CCWs safety
>>
File: 1910_5.jpg (82KB, 600x451px) Image search: [Google]
1910_5.jpg
82KB, 600x451px
I would carry a 1911 with only a grip safety

fite me
>>
>>34385864
>Accidentally engaging a safety can be as big of a problem as accidentally pulling the trigger
the amount of autism in this statement is autistic
>>
>>34386396
>try to shoot a charging tyroneasaurus
>nothing happens and you die
>HURR AT LEAST U DIDNT SHOOT UR DRYWALL, AUTISTIC AUTIST
>>
>>34386410
where the fuck are you putting your greasy, fat flippers you call fingers to "accidentally" engage the safety?
you are the dumbest noguns itt
>>
>>34386396
Holsters and moving some can certainly flip safeties. Don't carry something with a safety and then ignore said safety, it can end up in a position you're not expecting. Just swap/remove it or find whatever gun you want sans safety
>>
>>34386446
ah yes, the safety flipping holster
great idea, flipper hands
>>
File: image.jpg (34KB, 402x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34KB, 402x480px
>>34385631
>#1 NOTHING says you MUST use the safety
Some guns rely on the safety being engage to prevent ND's or the hammer falling

>#2 it is there for a reason
Not on my gun

>#3 people have LIVED or prevented a ND because they had a safety
If you require a mechanical device to prevent (You) from accidentally discharging said firearm, you have other problems going on. Basic firearm handling includes keeping you booger hook away from the trigger and checking for a gun being loaded

>#4 stop being such an insufferable moron
Why are you so upset? Just remember there's people like me walking by you carrying a glock with one in the chamber faggot
>>
>>34385864
>Which system would you recommend to someone who may only see a range once a week?

Literally anything, if the gun's primary use is being a rage queen, then get the cheapest or the most Gucci one you can afford, feel comfortable and can accurately shoot.
>>
>>34385499
you're overthinking it. you have better odds of getting struck by lightening than of having to shoot someone in defense.
>>
>>34385499

2 things scare me silly

cocked & locked and those glock style "safety" triggers

so my choice was either da/sa or dao, i went with dao ruger lc380 with trigger kit from galloway, forget keeping the safety on, it is too teeny on that pistol

after training with the dao i'm ok with my ability to shoot it fast enough compared to sa which is still faster but i can't have everything

for conceal, that is my #1 advantage & i'm hoping it is enough
>>
>>34385499
not really, i practiced my draw quite a bit with my 1911. Flipping off the safety is simple and fast, i can flip it off before its out of the holster.
>>
>>34386483
>Just remember there's people like me walking by you carrying a glock with one in the chamber faggot
reply like this to a safety mechanism related comment is fine
reply like this to being called a moron is borderline threatening
>>
>>34386580
>borderline threatening

ooh i'm scared

somebody posted something mean on the internet

call your mom !!
>>
>>34385499
Just carry condition 3 and solve all the problems.

Takes literally half a second to pull slide back. Idk about you, but in a defensive situation, if a gun is already pointed on me im not gonna be pulling my gun out immediately, because ill get shot when he sees me reach behind my back. And in situations where there is an active shooter i would already be in cover and then get ready to do something. Or if im ever mugged from behind, or my gun is grabbed, i dont have to worry about a badguy shooting me with my own gun. While hes squeezing the trigger on an empty chamber i can try and beat the shit out of him or run.

My carry gun is mostly for if im in my car and its a car jacking, i see someone getting mugged, or active shooter.

Also i prefer to use DA/SA or SAO guns just because once i load the chamber, i can now shoot more accurate in SA one handed or two, than a DA trigger, and its all about shot placement vs amount of rounds fired. Dont want to be pulling a heavy trigger and rounds going who knows where while in adrenaline mode, and shit hitting bystanders.

But this is just my opinion and use of my carry gun.
>>
>>34386580
>carrying a loaded gun in public is threatening

No guns faggot detected
>>
>>34386483
>>#4 stop being such an insufferable moron
>Why are you so upset? Just remember there's people like me walking by you carrying a glock with one in the chamber faggot
whatcha gonna do with that one in the chamber, you flaming moron? you gonna stop people from calling you a moron, you noguns moron?
>>
A thumb safety is not a 3 credit hour course and if you get a pistol with one you aren't required to use it. Buy what you want and be sure to post pictures when you ND into your ass cheek because you didn't want to do 15 minutes of drawing and dryfiring.
>>
File: image.jpg (86KB, 605x685px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86KB, 605x685px
>>34386802
Stay booty-blasted
>>
>>34386823
>tee hee
you are still a noguns moron
>>
Your best option is a H&K with the LEM trigger. A modified DAO trigger, the length of the pull makes it safe, but it's a very light pull due to a pre-tensioned hammer spring. Only one trigger to learn, a very good one at that, and much safer than any striker fired trigger with an annoying dongle or hinge in the middle.
>>
>>34386560
Why would you be "scared" of SAO and striker?

DAO AND DA/SA triggers suck dick in comparison (except certain revolvers).
>>
Necessity. It's something I always miss on my Glock 30 and love on the other handguns I have.
>>
>>34385499
I personally like to have manual safeties, but more as situational "tool" than primary safety.
>>
>>34385499
>I'd really rather not train for a safety

Then don't.

You will do what you condition yourself to do, right or wrong, so if you aren't willing to train and maintain your conditioning, then go with something you can just pull, point, and press. I'd recommend a revolver, in your case.

DA guns are perfectly safe and appropriate for people that don't get much training, for whatever reason, and a revolver is the easiest to use.

Just remember that the only "safety" that really matters is the one between your ears.
>>
File: image.jpg (267KB, 1270x1022px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
267KB, 1270x1022px
>>34386838
I have plenty of guns, with no safety
>>
>>34387806
nope
>>
>>34387787
>>Just remember that the only "safety" that really matters is the one between your ears.
Words of wisdom, my brother, but don't forget the safety on the end of your arm.
>>
>>34386396
That anon's right, though.

I've seen it happen at various matches from time to time.

>shooter ready.....BEEP
>draws pistol
>aims at target
>visible flinch but no round discharge
>look of confusion
>examines gun and realizes WTF they did
>depresses safety
>commences to finally start the stage

I even saw a veteran police officer have multiple shooter induced stoppages during a match because he had a shitty grip, and would fail to fully depress the grip safety of the 1911 he was trying to use after the draw. The dude had been a cop for like 10 years, and was accustomed to shooting a glock.

Of course, anybody can overcome those issues with training, but some people just aren't willing.

Of all the shooting I did in the military, I have NEVER forgotten to unsafe my weapon prior to shooting. Ever. Training made it just a natural part of the target identification process.
>>
>>34385499
I'm so glad they gave me back my 1911. Thank you Highway Patrol for not stealing it forever.
>>
File: makpb.jpg (367KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
makpb.jpg
367KB, 1500x1000px
>>34385499
depends on how you intend to carry the fucking thing. is it necessary? I don't know, do you intend to carry say... a hammer gun with a light trigger cocked and locked? then yeah. Do you wanna carry in double action? Then a decocker is better.It's probably not safe to carry a beretta 92 with the hammer back. In general, don't carry a glock in the appendix position, be deliberate when reholstering unless you wish to be making your last call to your wife or mother shortly after doing so, and make the choice of the gun you like more. Double action isn't as big a deal as you think, just watch some Paul Harrel on the 92 and note how he practices to shoot the double action by simply shooting the double action over and over, but also devotes practice to single action. In no time, you should be able to shoot reasonably well with a double action for the first pull, alternatively, having no manual safety isn't going to be a killer either as long as you make sure to think things through when you do them, and if you WANT to, there is absolutely nothing wrong with carrying a CZ-75D or a 1911 cocked and locked with the safety on as long as you practice. Do what you want with it.

>inb4 heavy
Two pounds isn't that heavy, get a stiff belt.
>>
>>34385499
>>34389772
same anon here, CZ75B is what I meant, I just realized the D is the decocking double action model.
>>
File: 1490151743011.png (412KB, 569x492px) Image search: [Google]
1490151743011.png
412KB, 569x492px
>>34385499
When I am at home or my shop I have the manual safety engaged. When I walk out the front door I disengage it. The rationale behind it I constantly am bumping into shit. I have whacked into my pistol enough times to cause a NG. Been lucky to never have had one and rather keep it that way. knocks on wood.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.