[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Top Serrations?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

What are the top serrations on a knife for? How do they come in handy on a survival knife? Wouldn't you want double sides Incase one gets dull?
>>
Sawing cordage, ropes and such.
>>
pretty much just sawing, and double edge isn't great if you need to baton through anything you'll just destroy the top edge.
>>
>>34375366

Apparently serrations are not for
>>34375370
>>34375377

but for sawing your way out of a crashed helicopter or airplane.
>>
>>34375366
The top serrations work really well for scaling fish, and are shitty for sawing, as far as I know.
>>
>>34375377
you shouldn't be batoning anything anyway, that's how you snap blades
>>
>>34375366

Originally, serrations were first used on the bayonets and short swords of engineer and artillery units. Like the German 1898/05 bayonet. The idea was to provide those troops with a saw to clear away underbrush. They were in use during www1. One story goes that Allied troops thought these bayonets were an extra cruel way to stab with and so killed all the bearers at sight, but it is dubious to put it carefully. For one thing it makes it harder to pull them out of a stabbed body. For another, saw bayonets had been used by the British too for exactly the same brush clearing purpose.

But it is an idea with some traction. No wonder some blades still get them. How useful they are is something else. I have some swiss folders with 1.5 inch long saw blades...
>>
>>34375377
>>34376250
funny
>>34376048
>>
>>34375366
Depends on the type of serration, some are for show and I think that's what yours are. It may be the angle of the pic but those don't look particularly useful for anything.
>>
I mostly use them as fish descalers
>>
Increasing sales among clueless teens.
>>
>>34378449
Haha batoning is already retarded, but batoning with metal on metal?
>>
>>34378449
does anyone have the actual video?
>>
>>34375366
Good serrations help you cut rope/cordage. Some thick bladed knives serrations can cut thin metal without much damage to knife.

That said some knifes have absolutely useless serrations and are for looks only.

A lot of multitool knives have serrated blades specifically for cutting.
>>
>>34380057
>>34380329
The fact that it was metal on metal had nothing to do with it, it was just a completely shit knife
>>
>>34382425
>>34378449
gander mountain closing near me and i saw this bear grylls shit on clearance for like $30, glad i didn't bother.
>>
>>34380057
What could be retarded about hitting your knife with an axe to chop wood?
>>
File: it's tape.png (26KB, 633x623px) Image search: [Google]
it's tape.png
26KB, 633x623px
Depends on the knife. for most "survival" knives, the serrations are usually too large, dull and too far apart to be useful for sawing anything. it's a meme holdover from the first Rambo movie. I'd rather have a decent 90 degree spine for striking either a ferro rod or flint/other hard mineral to make some sparks with.
Although some knives do have usable serrations.
>>
>>34375366
how much did you pay for that shitty Strider knockoff? $10.00?
>>
>>34378449
He's holding a hatchet in his fucking hand! Use the hatchet!
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.