[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the Ruger LCP a good choice for a .380 carry gun?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 12

File: ruger_lcp_b.jpg (52KB, 475x437px) Image search: [Google]
ruger_lcp_b.jpg
52KB, 475x437px
Is the Ruger LCP a good choice for a .380 carry gun?
>>
>>34374715
yes.
>>
>>34374715
No. Get a p238. Then man up and get a 9mm.
>>
>>34374715
>Is the Ruger LCP a good choice for a .380 carry gun?

Difficult to shoot?

Check.

Nearly unuseable sights?

Check.

Chambered in an anemic pistol round and holding a very small amount of said anemic pistol round?

Check.

Questionable reliability compared a conventional sized 9mm or even a single stack 9mm?

Check.

Viable to carry and fight for your life against a violent and determined attacker?

Absolutely. Because you know, it's easy and convenient to carry, as /k/ says.
>>
>>34374749
I don't need to "man up" for 9mm, I already have a Beretta 92

I want something to carry around in my pocket though, hence my desire for a .380
>>
>>34374763
At least get the LCP 2 with the better sights. You still won't like shooting it.

If you can swing the P238 they are really nice for the size. Running under $500 in some places.
>>
LC9S is better and only a tad bigger. Awesome trigger actually.
>>
File: 1479525369025.jpg (73KB, 706x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1479525369025.jpg
73KB, 706x1024px
>>34374763
>I don't need to "man up" for 9mm

You're right. You need to man up and carry a fucking real gun on you, on your waistband.

Seriously, carrying a Glock 26/19 sized gun is not difficult.
>>
File: sleep tight.jpg (131KB, 600x898px) Image search: [Google]
sleep tight.jpg
131KB, 600x898px
>>34374749
>>34374811
>HURR MAN UP LOL
>CARRY REAL GUN
Not him but faggots like you disgust me to no end, I was faced with the same exact question and every fucking dumb son of a bitch said "man up and get a REAL gun!" I carry a nobody-cares strike-fired polymer in .40 S&W only because they didn't offer 10mm Auto, I eventually got a Texas Defender for my boot gun.

You faggots are the type who chimes in with completely stupid and inappropriate advice when neophytes ask, "what should I use?" You suggest completely stupid, inappropriate bullshit that has no bearing in reality or sanity.

Fuck off and get fucked, I'm drunk off my ass on scotch and you can go right to hell. GOOD EVENING, SIRS.
>>
File: IMG_4502.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4502.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
The LCP2 is an alright pocket gun. I carry it in my work pants.
>>
>>34374755
>Difficult to shoot?
>Check.
>Nearly unuseable sights?
>Check.
>Chambered in an anemic pistol round and holding a very small amount of said anemic pistol round?
No.

>Questionable reliability compared a conventional sized 9mm or even a single stack 9mm?
No.
>>
>>34374781
LCP2 is also 2x as thick.
>>
>>34374715
Honestly I feel comfortable with mine, especially considering the most likely deadly force situation would probably only involve one person at a short distance. I feel confident in my abilities with the LCP out to 7-10 yards. Should you carry a bigger gun when possible? I'd recommend it, I have a Glock 19 and LC9 as well for that, but if you're like me and sometimes wear business casual (i.e. Polo/dress shirt tucked into dress pants) or gym shorts, the G19 isn't going to be practical.
>>
>>34374715
DONT DONT DONT DONT

Theres WAY better pocket pistols out there. My father got an LCP and straight out of the box it was a jam o matic. The slide lock doesnt even work either which is pretty fucking retarded.
>>
>>34374715
The trigger is no good, or so I've been told, so I'd look for something with a better trigger, or the LCPII
>>
>>34374715
>Is the Ruger LCP a good choice for a .380 carry gun?

Oh fucking hell NO. I actually don't even have anything negative to say about .380 as a caliber, and certainly mouse guns have their place.

Just for fuck's sake not the LCP. Except maybe as a training tool, so you can practice shooting with a shitty trigger and clearing jams. At least it'll give you great appreciation for the next gun you choose.
>>
>>34376785
Which begs the question: If Ruger released a gun that is well known for a shitty trigger (LCP), refused to upgrade or repair that trigger for any of its buyers, and simply released a new model with supposedly better trigger, then why the hell would you want to do business with that company ever again?
Ruger needs to fix every shitty trigger they turned out, and that means every LCP.
>>
>>34376880
They have fixed the triggers you fucking retard
>>
>>34376880
Because if the LCPII is good it doesn't really matter if the LCP is shit if I don't own one.

I mean I don't really care if my fridge company made a shitty fridge one time in the past if my current fridge works nice. Sure it makes me lose faith in them, and it's a bit shitty of them not to fix a huge flaw, but it's not like they really owe people anything, they didn't lie or cheat or anything. And out of all the things to get outraged at that companies do, that seems pretty banal.
>>
>>34374715
nice for pocket carry in summer shorts.
otherwise good back up in winter.
>>
File: IMG_0359.jpg (3MB, 3061x2295px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0359.jpg
3MB, 3061x2295px
I just bought an LCP II. I wear it around the house and when I go to the store in my gym shorts, and to the gym. You can't make this thing print if you try. I forget I'm wearing it. Trigger is alright, wish they just smoothed up the DAO trigger instead of going for a Single Action trigger. Sights are great for a pocket gun. I painted the front sight orange with some nail polish and they come up real quickly. Not the most pleasant thing to shoot, but what do you expect.

I'd reccomend getting the II over the I, or even better saving up for a Kahr or a Glock.

At the end of the day .380 pocket guns are "if you have to" pistols. If I can wear my Glock 19. I wear my Glock 19. It's better in every way and safer (do not really like carrying a single action pistol that isn't fully drop safe), but if I absolutely cannot wear my glock 19, the LCP II is great for what it is.
>>
The LCP is probably the best in its class (pocket mouseguns, that is)

Just make sure you carry FMJ, never JHP.
>>
>>34376894
No, they did not "fix the triggers." Fixing the triggers would mean they actually repaired the ones that were bad. Instead, they sold a new gun with a new trigger, while refusing warranty service to anyone with the original LCP with a shitty trigger. Probably a $25 fix for them. They denied (and as far as I know, continue to deny) that the LCP trigger was ever bad, despite the overwhelming number of negative reviews about it. Interestingly, their next release was the "LCP Custom" with a red skeletonized trigger - sort of a "hey, look at us! Forget about that previous shit product that we're denying is shit and just buy a new super-not-shit one!"

Guess the only comparison I can make is if you bought a new phone (let's call it a Samsung G5), then realized it overheats and shuts down every time it's on for more than 30 minutes, you'd want it fixed or your money back. If Samsung refused, and just denied there was anything wrong with the phone, you might go online and realize that everyone else with a G5 was having the same problem. After being pretty annoyed at being ignored and refused customer service or warranty, imagine a couple months later Samsung released the "G5ii - Now with overheating protection!" Sure, they might have fixed the problem with their product line, but they didn't fix the problem with the products they already sold.
>>
Here's the truth, OP: The LCP is a good gun for particular situations. >For example, I sometimes pocket carry an LCP to church (because I don't like tucking in my shirt when I'm carrying IWB).
>Occasionally, I have to go to town to run some errands (put gas in my truck, pay the water bill, etc.) When I know I won't really be seeing anyone, I sometimes wear basketball shorts. I don't like wearing my VP9 or Glock 19 when I wear basketball shorts because they pull them down. So I'll shove my LCP in my pocket in a pocket holster.
>the wife and I usually vacation at the beach, when we go down to the beach, I'll shove the LCP in a plastic baggy and put it in our beach bag.

The LCP is sort of a niche gun that ultimately I replaced with a Glock 42. It's bigger, wider, but the quality of the Glock is better. I never had any realibility issues with the LCP, but it was NOT a fun gun to shoot. Also, when carried IWB, that bitch rusted like a motherfucker. If ANY sweat or humidity got on it, it would begin to rust within hours.

Ultimately, if you're gonna buy the LCP, there are a few things you should do:
>immediately get a mag extension, I have the hands of an 8 year old girl, but I could barely get a solid grip. Combine this with a short, lightweight muzzle and a snappy .380 round and you have to readjust after every shot. The mag extension helps with this.
>practice drawing from your particular method of carry. If you're carrying IWB you might find it hard to draw from a kydex holster, particularly if you're used to a large role handgun. It's such a small gun and there's barely any purchase on the grip.
>throw a laser on that bitch, as people have mentioned, aiming is a bitch with the meme sights. /k/ sometimes looks down on lasers, but this gun really benefits from a crimson trace red laser (the one you activate by pressing the button on the grip).

Overall, Op, the LCP is decent. It's cheap, decently realible, but if you've got the money, I'd go with the Glock 42.
>>
>>34377063
Also, people always recommend an LCP as a good handgun for women. This is a meme. Most women hate the LCP and benefit from larger handguns.

I haven't looked it up, but if you're not gonna buy a laser, I'd throw some combat sights on the LCP. I don't know if you can put XS Big Dots on an LCP, but since you're not gonna be precision shooting with such a small gun, combat sights are the way to go.
>>
>>34374715
I just had this question last month. Took it, a glock, and a p238 out to the range. Hands down I ended up going with the p238. Recoil is minimal, trigger is a Hell of a lot better, its not too large or heavy, and standard night sights were pretty good. Its more expensive, but at bass pro its like 599, and it has eaten everything ive put through it.
Don't listen to>>34377043 either. Never run fmj. Anything with an xtp is golden for around 12" of penetration and decent expansion. Hydrashocks arent bad either. But fmj is going to overpenetrate like crazy.
>>
>>34377100
>FMJ will over penetrate like crazy
>out of a tiny subcompact
Nope.
>>
File: eb6.jpg (42KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
eb6.jpg
42KB, 604x453px
>>34377100
>Anything with an xtp is golden for around 12" of penetration and decent expansion. Hydrashocks arent bad either. But fmj is going to overpenetrate like crazy.
>>
>>34374763
just get a Bersa Thunder then, or a bodyguard .380 with the rebate.
>>
>>34374811
True that, I sometimes carry my sd9ve which is the exact same size as a Glock 19 with no printing at all. If anything it makes my dick look bigger when I sit down.
>>
>>34377122
http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#380ACP

http://shootingthebull.net/blog/final-results-of-the-380-acp-ammo-quest/

All this fuddlore on this board
>>
I carry a Walther pk380 iwb . Fits my big hands but conceals nicely under a t shirt. Yeah it's 380 but I can drill 9 shots into a target like nothing. Hardly any recoil and accurate.
>>
>>34377351
Confirmed for stupid.
Those links get posted all the time, and the all show exactly what I've been saying for years: JHP in .380 will either expand but not penetrate, or penetrate but not expand. You may get one or two that actually make it into the 12" range and expand, but you can never rely on it.

Thank you for proving my point, yet again, that if you carry .380 ACP, you should only carry FMJ,
>>
>>34377824
And then get 20+ inches of penetration. And if you watch the tests, ALL of the xtp's and hydrashock were consistent within an inch or two of each other. In worst case scenarios where the jhp gets clogged, theystill didn't penetrate at the level of fmj. Expansion in pistol calibers is fun to have, but not having overpenetration is vital. So thse jhp's, even at their worst, were still better than fmj, and penetrated around what is wanted from fbi standards. Carrying fmj in just about any gun is incredibly retarded
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-06-27-12-57-09.png (176KB, 1440x2565px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-06-27-12-57-09.png
176KB, 1440x2565px
>>34377824
>You may get one or two that actually make it into the 12" range and expand, but you can never rely on it.

Can you even read? Try ALL of them
>>
>>34374763
Get the lcp2. And dont listen to the haters, I put 100 rounds through it last weekend. It's not a bad gun to shoot
>>
File: toofat4iwb.jpg (168KB, 2048x1221px) Image search: [Google]
toofat4iwb.jpg
168KB, 2048x1221px
>>34377956
Forgot pic
>>
>>34374715
Personally I love mine and would definitely recommend it.
>>
>>34375856
No its not
>>
>>34374755
Literally none of this is true. Except for Maybe the .380 being anemic
>>
>>34377122
Its true, check googs
>>
My opinion obviously goes against the grain a little, but my LCP has proven to be very reliable and shootable for what it is. I've maybe had ~1 malfunction the entire time I've had it. It doesn't have a tuned 1911 trigger, but honestly it's not bad, certainly better than most DA revolver triggers. The recoil isn't bad either at least with regular ammunition. The only thing I'd recommend doing to the original LCP is putting some high visibility paint or even nail polish on the front sight and maybe throwing on a crimson trace if you like lasers.
>>
Not exactly on topic, but I've had a gun dealer tell me that a .380 might not be enough to stop a threat, but that a 9mm would spin whoever I shot around. He even told me 22 mag is a better caliber for defense than .380. This is also the same guy who told me that buying a silencer would subject me to surprise audits by the ATF.
>>
>>34378075
I own one and this is my exact opinion on it as well. Except I've literally never had a malfunction and I shoot it pretty regularly
>>
File: 1470672971287.jpg (27KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1470672971287.jpg
27KB, 600x600px
>>34375652
>You faggots are the type who chimes in with completely stupid and inappropriate advice when neophytes ask, "what should I use?" You suggest completely stupid, inappropriate bullshit that has no bearing in reality or sanity.
>no bearing in reality or sanity.

So you're saying I'm out of my mind for suggesting carrying at the least a 10+1 because attackers can be in multiples, you may miss and reloading in the middle of a gunfight sucks? Damn bro, I really really wish I were so gud at shooting, I was confident with a 2 shot .22lr derringer like you man. Mad props, I can just imagine you t-zoning niggas 24/7 with nothing but a NAA derringer damn man lmao.

In case you have the 'tisms and mistook that post as something serious and not sarcasm, you're a fucking idiot. A conceal carry gun is something that you will have to use in a life or death scenario and having a bigger, more shootable gun is always a better option. Especially since holster technology is advanced to the point where carrying a Glock 26 regardless of your dress is a breeze. Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>34378916
I don't think anyone is suggesting the LCP as the best primary carry gun. But where it shines is how it fills in the gaps where you can't carry something bigger. Try carrying that 26 in gym shorts and get back to me.
>>
File: received_301220537001592.jpg (20KB, 300x395px) Image search: [Google]
received_301220537001592.jpg
20KB, 300x395px
>>34378916
Fuck then with that logic I should just carry my AR in a guitar case everywhere I go in case I get charged by a pack of feral niggers on my way to Kroger's
>>
>>34375856
You just made that up.
>>
>>34374715
If you have to carry a .380 get a glock42 get the newest glock mags if the don't come with them and you will be good to go.
And to all the no glock fags fuck off
>>
>>34374755
Does it sting a little to lie so blatantly?
>>
>>34374755

> it's a gun
> .380 will kill someone

LCP is fine if your clothing doesn't allow a 9mm
>>
>>34375652

> completely stupid, inappropriate bullshit that has no bearing in reality or sanity.

Do.. do you know where you are?
>>
>>34376766
Retard, the LCP doesn't have a slide lock. You want a slide lock it's on the LCP II

You either failed or are a liar.
>>
>>34374749
Then man up and get a full size.45 acp.
>>
>>34374715
trigger sucks hot dogshit. i tried my uncles Ruger and decided i'm never buying one in my life.
>>
File: UHHHHHHH.jpg (20KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
UHHHHHHH.jpg
20KB, 480x720px
>>34378916
>I really really wish I were so gud at shooting, I was confident with a 2 shot .22lr derringer like you man
Woah, what? Who the fuck suggested that?

Here's the only thing about derringers in the original post: >>34375652
>I eventually got a Texas Defender for my boot gun.
Boot gun implies it's, uh, for a boot and not for carrying. I know this because the sentence before that explicitly says there's a semi-auto in .40S&W because 10mm wasn't an option so it's a backup and I believe >>34378951 caught that too. Texas Defender doesn't come in .22LR either, it only comes in .45LC so that's pretty stupid of you. Actually you don't get to accuse anyone of having the "tisms" or being an idiot, it's clear that you can't read anyone's posts.
>>
>>34374755
Bud anyone who has above average shooting skills, and a basic mastery of the fundamentals can use the LCP just fine. It's definitely not for new shooters I'll give you that, which if you had a hard time using it I assume you're relatively new
>>
>>34377054
Your analogy was shit and you're still a retard, sorry m8
>>
>>34383518
>anyone who has above average shooting skills, and a basic mastery of the fundamentals can use the LCP just fine.

I can mag dump 10 .25acp in less than 2 seconds out of a Beretta Jetfire at 7 yards and hold a 2" group. 6 .380s out of a LCP will print one in the Xring and maybe one or two somewhere on the paper in 2 seconds, the rest are flyers.

Guess which gun I CC?
>>
>>34376880
>>34377054
>i don't understand the difference between "shitty" and "defective": the posts
Ruger owes you or anyone else nothing. Just because you bought something you didn't like and an improved version came out later doesn't mean the old one needs to be repaired or replaced or upgraded to meet the new standards at all. The triggers were not defective; you pull, goes bang. Fuck you if you don't like it..no one forced you to buy it.

A better analogy would be if Ford was selling F150's with 4cyl engines and you bought one and along with a lot of people complained it was underpowered. So what? Still makes truck go, and they knew what they were doing when they put it in there, just like you knew when you bought it. Just because next year's model is a V8 doesn't mean there's a mandatory recall on the old ones.
>>
>>34382330
> Then man up and get a full size.45 acp.

t. Gramps
>>
>>34374811
>>34374763
Not OP but I'm looking into mouseguns to pocket carry when I have to put pants on to do something, e.g. take out the trash. I want something to throw in my gym shorts for a short 3 minute walk from my front door. Carry a glock 19 w/ TLR1 or SW Shield daily. I am heavily considering a LCPII
>>
>>34374715
Personally, it's such a small firearm that I have to consciously fight to keep it in my hand. There's just simply not enough room to grip it.
>>
>>34383907
Well if you're comfortable with the .25 then carry it. I don't carry the LCP for a bullseye pistol, I'm quite confident I can quickly dump the mag and maintain hits on the chest, vital areas.
>>
>>34374715
Any gun is better than no gun, especially if you live in a relatively safe environment where an assailant won't be expecting you to pull on them.

If dis is Tyrone, dough, 'n dah hood lyfe runs strong in yo' blood wit niggas pulling Glocks on yo' ass, dah LCP some weak-ass shit nigguh.
>>
>>34384006
I have one and love it. Word to the wise. There is a slight learning curve with mouseguns. You have to learn to grip them well to avoid feeding issues. Also you dont have the same trigger reach. As a full sized or compact gun. A lot of guys with limited experience fire them and claim they are garbage, when they dont take the time to learn there is a difference. Sometimes they say the gun is breaking in, when it's actually them that's breaking in.
>>
>>34376766
Percect example of someone who doesn't realize the learning curve for mouse guns.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.