[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

M1 Carbine thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

Redpill me on national ordinance carbines, /k/. I've wanted a carbine for awhile and found a few good deals on both period Winchester models and later NO versions. While I appreciate the history, it doesn't make or break the purchase for me, nor do most collectability details. Do I take a major hit buying an NO carbine? What should I look for and be cautious of in general?

Also M1 carbine/garand general
>>
>>34364347

Get a USGI receiver if you can help it. National ordinance receivers were cast and 1960's casting methods are far inferior to forgings which the USGI rifles are mad of.
>>
>>34364347
Have fun buying .30 carbine to feed it
>>
>>34364347
They bought up a bunch of parts, slapped them together, and made M1 carbines. Roughly the equivalent of Century AK builds, so could be good, could be bad. Also 30 carbine costs more than it's worth these days.
>>
File: IMG_20170424_224435.jpg (4MB, 4160x3088px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170424_224435.jpg
4MB, 4160x3088px
>>34364391
>Ordering online is haaaaard
>There's no such thing as cheap PPU and Tulammo
>>34364347
How much is the NO reproduction? My Plainfield only set me back $600. In case any of the parts on the bolt or the recoil spring are worn out you need to replace them with USGI parts.
>>
>>34364391

.30 carbine is literally the same price as 5.56. steel case is like 25 cents a round and brass case is like 33 cents a round
>>
>>34364426
>>34364365
How hard is USGI equipment to find, and what does it set you back? Sounds like it may not be worth it, but I might be overestimating
>>
>>34364426

>Repro carbine
>$600

you got taken for a ride. You can still get USGI carbines for like $750 if you look around.
>>
>>34364462
You can find any USGI part short of a receiver on eBay. Prices vary though.
>>
>>34364470
Not in CA you can't. Everything semi auto is 20% more expensive and gets bought up pretty damn quick. Remember we're in a perpetual state of panic buying.
>>
>>34364447
>steel case
>M1 carbine

good luck faggit
>>
>>34364462

carbines are tough. the most you will probably need to replace on it is an extractor unless youre planning on shooting a few thousand rounds through it. GI mags are expensive as hell but repro mags are like $10. Just be careful that the springs are correctly orientated in them because sometimes those slants put them in upside down and dont feed right.
>>
>>34364508
They have relatively inexpensive USGI mags at JGsales.
>>
An SKS would be 500% more fun to shoot and 10% cheaper to feed.

It's really a terrible compromise gun.

I have zero regrets on my Garand, SKS, K31, Vz58.

100% regrets on M1 Carbine, Nugget, and Yugo M70 (AKM underfolder).

also 100% regrets I didn't get a swede mauser before they went full meme.
>>
>>34364507

I've never shot it through my carbine personally but most people dont seem to have any issues with it. Even though Wolf is usually under powered, these guns were designed to run off much weaker powder.
>>
i have the paratrooper version i love it to death has alot of history (korean era if im not mistaken), bu its really expensive to feed so i only really take it out when my girlfreind wants to shoot it.
>>
>>34364553
I kick myself for not grabbing a K31 when my lgs had a couple for 300 bux a year or so ago
>>
File: IMG_3166.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3166.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>34364347
My uncles gun. Anyone have a model?
>>
>>34364619
what an abomination
>>
>>34364557
>Even though Wolf is usually under powered

Case doesnt expand like brass.

>Powder blast fucking EVERYWHERE.

>Dirty as FUCK

>cleaning your carbine CONSTANTLY.

no thx, I'll pay a couple bucks for the brass, or hopefully I can sell this thing and run my SKS dirty for 2000 rounds+ and not even clean it </devilish>
>>
>>34364619

if srs that's a mini 14 nigga.
>>
>>34364347
I have shot a couple, they feel like toys and are not that fun to shoot. However, for their goal they worked great. Easy to shoot out to 150 yds or so.
>>
>>34364619
Ruger Muh Low Capacity Mini 14.
I do love them though, just not how ruger wasn't cool with hi-caps
>>
>>34364594
>I kick myself for not grabbing a K31 when my lgs had a couple for 300 bux a year or so ago

The REAL steal is getting a 96/11 with decent bore for 400 today. I like it much better than the K31, despite the newer rifle being able to take heavier powder handloads, All I shoot is GP11 anyways.

Get yourself a swiss rubin, and a swede mauser before they are even more overpriced. you'll regret this day if you dont listen.

Also, Get a Belgian Browning A5 before fall (before hunt season) anything under 400 is a steal if it's engraved.
If you MUST have a duck gun, the A5 Magnum 12 should be about 550-600 and does the high velocity 3" loads with no trouble.

The "sweet sixteen" is so fucking terribly overrated I cant bear to mention the numbers, unless you do grouse all day and squirrel on the weekends, DONT buy it.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.