[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Road Trip

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 10

File: 1361921718808.jpg (473KB, 1920x1079px) Image search: [Google]
1361921718808.jpg
473KB, 1920x1079px
I'm taking a road trip across country in a couple weeks. Starting in Virginia and will be heading out to Wyoming, then south to Utah and Arizona, then back east along the Gulf coast. I'm planning on bringing one pistol, but I don't have a concealed permit. Any tips for transporting a firearm across multiple states? Also, I shoot best with my XD, but would it be better to bring my 1911 in case I go through any states with magazine restrictions?
>>
>>34361107
Just look up the laws for all the states you'll be in, most are pretty easy to follow. As far as the magazine, I wouldn't worry about it. Those laws are generally enforced at the point of sale or not at all. I live in Colorado and have bought multiple above limit mags for a couple guns, and I always use 30 rounders at the range with the AR and have never once had anything said to me. If you end up in NY just hide it really well I guess.
>>
>>34361147
I'm definitely staying out of NY. California as well. Any /k/ spots in Colorado worth hitting while I'm out there?
>>
Bumping. Any good spots /k/ recommends seeing out West?
>>
>>34361250
To do what?
>>
>>34362151
Just tourist shit. Museums, landmarks, monuments, national/state parks, whatever.
>>
File: Mount Sherman.png (3MB, 1508x1298px) Image search: [Google]
Mount Sherman.png
3MB, 1508x1298px
>>34361250
>>34362151
I'd suggest the following for gun friendly places...
Roosevelt National Forest or Pawnee National Grassland. They have a good sized town in between them, Fort Collins. Good town.
There is some BLM land north of Grand Junction, and the Grand Mesa is also nearby which is cool.
I've been told there are good places down south in the San Juan mountains, but have yet to go.

Non-gun places... I'd suggest the Black Canyon near Gunnison, or go climb some 14k ft mountains, plenty of good ones. Mt Sherman (pic related) and Sheridan are an easy day hike.
>>
im doing the same thing. Starting in VA and going to Arizona. The problem is I want to get high the whole way and have my guns on me. Whats the best way to get away smoking weed on my cross country trip?
>>
>>34362516
By not being a retard. Smoke when your camping or something. Don't be the guy who gets pulled over hot boxing a car with firearms in the vehicle, loaded or unloaded.
>>
>>34362339
Thanks anon. Question for you. Being from the east coast I really don't know shit about real mountains. What kind of clothing should I bring on big hikes? Is there going to be a big temperature change?
>>
>>34362940
No prob anon.
Well parts of Colorado can have highly variable temperatures in the summer; is that when you want to come out?
You really need to study the weather ahead of time, and plan for that. But, it can be hot and cold; if you are here in the summer bring a warm layer because it COULD get into the 40s or 30s and windy as hell.
Have something that will keep you warmish and protected from wind and wet.
I would suggest you use a windbreaker/rainjacket and keep a warm fleece layer that is lightweight and a pair of longjohns.

A few other tips...
Drink lots of water. If you are not used to being up at Colorado's altitude you run the risk of altitude sickness; especially when you get above 13k feet. Getting altitude sickness will feel like a migraine or a bad hangover.
You are high up, and can get sun burned really easily if you're a pale fucker like me.
>>
>>34363208
Thanks for the tips. I haven't really given thought to altitude changes, but that makes a lot of sense.
>>
>>34362940
>>34363208
Another thought.
If you are hiking up a mountain and you see the clouds rolling in, you probably need to get the fuck off the mountain.
Bad weather and high likelyhood of lightning strikes. If you're above tree line you are in danger of being hit.
Have a good buddy who got hit by lightning above treeline. He lived.
>>
>VA
where abouts you guys at?
>>
>>34363240
Accomack County on the Eastern Shore.

>>34363238
I've experienced that on some hikes in the Adirondacks. Storms can roll in quick.
>>
File: solareclipse2017.jpg (268KB, 1200x760px) Image search: [Google]
solareclipse2017.jpg
268KB, 1200x760px
>>34363267
When you going on your trip?
Just so you know solar eclipse on August 21.
Here's a pic.
>>
>>34363315
Two, maybe three weeks. I forgot about that though I'll have to make sure I see it.
>>
>>34362323
No movie theaters?
>>
>>34363379
No new batman movies these days
>>
File: killdozer.jpg (8KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
killdozer.jpg
8KB, 300x168px
>>34363342
Best of luck anon, hopefully a good trip.
Just remember, drink water.
Lots of really good outdoor stuff in this part of the country, you should have no problem finding something cool.
>>34363379
>>34363386
Pic related is my favorite Colorado weirdness.
>>
>>34363425
Thanks man. I'll post pictures of anything /k/ related once I get back.
>>
>>34363482
You can email my burner account, [email protected] if you have any questions after thread dies.
>>
>>34363501
I appreciate man thanks.
>>
File: MesaVerde.jpg (11KB, 194x259px) Image search: [Google]
MesaVerde.jpg
11KB, 194x259px
>>34363584
As I drink I think of other cool places.
Here's a pic of Mesa Verde.
It's not as good as it used to be because you have to go on a guided tour to see the good shit.
But, if you want a really different National Park this is it. Old stone native buildings and pictoglyphs.
>>
>>34363752
I have been looking at incorporating that. The Hopi indians lived there right?
>>
File: chacocanyon.jpg (13KB, 304x166px) Image search: [Google]
chacocanyon.jpg
13KB, 304x166px
>>34363786
Not Hopi they call them "Ancestral Puebloans," but the Hopi claim them, I think. Natives can be weird about that.
We don't really know much about them, they kinda disappeared and had no written language so all we have is their trash and stone structures.
Mesa Verde is nothing compared to Chaco Canyon in New Mexico.
Chaco is amazing I've been three times now, would go another three.
And, you can walk through the ruins.
>>
>>34363786
>>34363847
I did some archaeology work in these areas years ago.
>>
>>34363847
That looks cool I'll have to check that out. How old is the site?
>>
>>34363947
900-1150 AD.
So archaeology info here... Basically the way they have dated these ruins is by Dendrochronology (tree ring study).
They look at logs they used in buildings and have built and extensive history based on these trees.
What the tree studies reveal is that Chaco Canyon (and later Mesa Verde) suffered an environmental collapse, and people fucked off or died.
>>
>>34363975
No shit. It's wild how people can figure all that out from a few old logs. I'll definitely have to check that out you've aroused my curiosity.
>>
>>34361107
saty out of massachussets. just posessing a mag with more than 10 capacity will land you in state prison for ten years.
>>
File: aztec colorado kiva.jpg (11KB, 261x193px) Image search: [Google]
aztec colorado kiva.jpg
11KB, 261x193px
>>34364125
Well if you are interested... It gets crazy.
In that region of Chaco and Mesa Verde is called the "four corners" because of the four states meeting there.
It developed for a time a fairly unique culture or building style.
Pic related is a rebuilt "Kiva" (from Aztec, Colorado no relation to the Aztecs) it was a round room that you can see in other photos I posted.
They are of unknown purpose really, but probably ceremonial or social.
But here's the point; in some parts of the four corners you will find Kivas that were burnt down (had to dig a couple).
They sometimes found bones in them or evidence of cannibalism and some they suspected of being burnt in ceremony.
We went to this one valley to dig that the natives said was haunted, I never noticed anything weird.
But, there was a lot of evidence of cannibalism and violence being found there.
Sadly didn't get to dig up something so cool.
>>
>>34364216
No shit that's wild man. Maybe drought or crop blights splintered their society and led people to resort to extreme measures to get food. Lots of possibilities, definitely interesting.
>>
File: BandelierNM Rebuilt Kiva.jpg (370KB, 1280x851px) Image search: [Google]
BandelierNM Rebuilt Kiva.jpg
370KB, 1280x851px
>>34364423
Drought; things fall apart.
Place used to have a lot more trees. Different climate.
Go to these ruin sites nowadays... they are dry/hot scrubland with a few desert trees.
On another note, there is evidence of manmade environmental destruction.
Mostly though agricultural overuse resulting in erosion.
They only grew plants and hunted. No major domesticated animals, Colombian Exchange had not occurred yet.
>>
>>34364501
Any other similar good sites to hit out that way?
>>
>>34364761
In terms of stone structures not really much north of Mesa Verde. All of Montezuma county. More scattered around but good times in the desert.
But you want structures? Chimney Rock east of Durango, cool area with a great rock formation. And the Canyon of the Ancients, a few ruined structures and some petroglyphs. This area is also more rugged and makes a good day hike.
However there are all sorts of petroglyphs scattered all around Colorado and the four corners region.
>>
>>34365047
I'm going to have to add that into my trip. I don't know shit about the desert, any tips?
>>
>>34365074
Drink water and carry a lot, wear plenty of sunscreen, rest in the shade only.
There really isn't any wildlife to worry about, maybe you'll encounter a snake, but watch out for ants!
Water and sunburn will really be your biggest concerns.
And depending where you camp you may not be able to have a fire. Fire bans happen. I've broken this rule before, but sometimes you'll be in a place and you'll know that a fire is a super bad idea.
>>
>>34365142
Oh, and it gets cold at night.
>>
>>34361107
>taking a road trip
Nice, anon. Road trips are fun, i'm jelly. I'm taking summer classes so I finish my degree faster. Going to do any desert shooting in AZ? I'm in FL and always wanted to check out the Southwest and AZ in particular. Have a good trip.
>>
>>34365142
>>34365142
>maybe you'll encounter a snake, but watch out for ants

What is the best thing to do if you encounter a rattler? I would assume either back away slowly or shoot it. Also, what do you mean by watch out for ants?
>>
>>34365142
Also, do you carry a rifle when you're out innadesert or innamountains or just a pistol?
>>
File: ar7andk.jpg (1MB, 1818x3284px) Image search: [Google]
ar7andk.jpg
1MB, 1818x3284px
Hi, anon. Greetings from a hotel room in Dallas. I'm doing a road trip right now: Silicon Valley to Tampa, then up the east coast to upstate New York, then back to California. I wanted to take a gun with me, but traveling through some serious cuck states meant that bringing a handgun was not such a good idea. I ended up bringing pic related with me - an AR-7. It's compact enough to easily fit in my suitcase along with 300 rounds of ammo, and is 50-state legal with no problems at all. It can be reassembled easily, and if anyone tries breaking into my hotel room, eight Mini-Mags should be enough to dissuade them. I'm pretty happy with mine - just be sure to feed it top shelf ammo and it'll serve you well. You might consider getting one yourself.
>>
>>34365199
I encountered one in that area.
It just rattled and was like 10 feet away from us and not in our way so we just let it be.
Thing is about the snakes and all the other critters is that they spend almost all their time hiding under a rock.
If you aren't flipping over rocks you shouldn't see them.
There are alot of ants out in the desert, just watch out for their nests.
>>34365217
Usually a pistol or nothing. When I go out I worry about weight.
My feet suck so I gotta go light as possible on multi day trips, and I haven't ever really felt threatened.
I've had encounters with and without guns with various critters, brown bears, black bears, grizzly bears, moose, elk, bison, mountain goat, and a pissed off big horn sheep.
But never felt threatened enough to shoot or panic.
>>
>>34365297
Upstate New York is fucking nice besides the fact that NY laws suck. My dad is from up that way. Giant Mountain is a good hike and it's definitely worth checking out Fort Ticonderoga. If you head that way check out Fort Crown Point while you're there.
>>
>>34365328
What do you usually wear out in the desert? I'm used to blue jeans when I hike.
>>
File: autism in the maze, utah.jpg (970KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
autism in the maze, utah.jpg
970KB, 720x1280px
>>34365416
I don't wear shorts so I can make due with jeans.
I'd suggest some sort of non-cotton material.
They are usually light weight, breathable, and quick drying. Not the warmest or most durable though.
Shirt doesn't matter, I just wear a tshirt.
I'll wear a hat with an arab head towel underneath it, it's also good to cover your face in case there is a lot of sand blowing around.
Boots, with breathable quick drying socks.
I was in the Maze in Utah this spring.
This is pretty much what I'll wear, here's an autismal picture.
>>
I just drove from southeast to northwest and I just threw my pistol in a safe buried in the trunk and put a cable lock on my rifle, wrapped in a towel, and buried also in the trunk. Only got stopped once by fucking Wisconsin state troopers for driving 81 in a 70 (while passing) and didn't really have a chance to offer up that they were there since he took my license and insurance info and took it back to his car to look it up.
>>
>>34365467
Thanks for the tips, I'll put them to good use.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.