[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gun Cleaning General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: photo1.jpg (184KB, 1220x776px) Image search: [Google]
photo1.jpg
184KB, 1220x776px
Admit it: cleaning them is almost as fun as shooting them.

What products are you using lately? how often do you clean them? any funny things you've found out about the process of cleaning them.

I am usually a Breakthrough/hoppes + CLP type of guy, but lately i've taken a liking to ballistol just because I'm lazy and I don't always feel like opening a window and putting on a respirator every time I want to clean out a gun after shooting it, Hoppes seems to make me light headed no matter what I do, but it works the best.

The one thing is I hate what Ballistol does to the slides of semi autos. It feels like you just dipped your gun in burger grease and makes the slide slippery as fuck. I generally only use it for the barrel and put a light light coat of CLP on the exterior (I live in an extremely humid area so this is necessary)
>>
>>34360930
You're a fucking fag.
>>
>>34360943
This.
>>
>>34360943
>>34360953
other than OP calling it a "general", it's on topic so why don't you leave if you don't like it, "fags"
>>
>>34360930
>not huffing hoppes
>not dripping some hoppes on your clothes so you can always inhale that intoxicating scent
>not subtly conditioning everyone around you to associate your with hoppes and therefore guns
>not using hoppes as colonge
>>
Is it true you don't need to clean an AK? I'm buying one and I've never cleaned any of my guns before (I own like two). Should I learn?

Is cleaning something that's necessary in general? How long does it take to clean, say a hunting rifle? What about an AK?
>>
File: 1460602144599.gif (492KB, 460x345px) Image search: [Google]
1460602144599.gif
492KB, 460x345px
cleaning my guns used to be fun when i was a brand new gun owner. now it's a chore that i fucking avoid like the plague
>>
>>34360930
>>34360963
great premise for a thread, only pops up once in a while so ignore those shit posting faggots.
>>
>>34360963
>implying faggots cannot be "on topic"

Sup now, bitch tits?
>>
>>34361093
Premise of thread is fine. Being all "cleaning is just as fun hehe" attitude is why OPs a faggot.
>>
File: hoppesfresh.jpg (25KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
hoppesfresh.jpg
25KB, 320x320px
>>34360930
>>
>>34360930
For cleaning chemicals, I strongly recommend M-Pro 7 Gun Cleaner for general purpose cleaning. It's non-toxic, non-hazardous, and non-oily, so you don't need to be in a well-ventilated area, and it won't stain your clothes or leave your workspace all slimy if it gets everywhere. If I let that sit in the bore, it's usually enough to break up the soot and I only need 1 or 2 patches after running a bronze brush once or twice, but it's good to have some specific "bore cleaner" solvent for the tougher, baked-on soot. Butch's and Hoppes #9 are both very effective, in my experience, for those rare times when the bore is really dirty. M-Pro 7 makes a non-toxic bore gel which is significantly less nasty than either of those, although in this case, it just doesn't cut the muster like the nasty chemicals do. Mil-comm does make a de-greaser, called MC25, which is basically Simple Green, but specially formulated to have a 0% chance of damaging gun or wood finishes. I hate having my entire gun get slimy when Hoppes or another CLP gets everywhere.

For lubrication, I use Mil-comm TW25B for guns that require grease and Slip 2000 EWL for oil lubrication. I recently got turned on to ALG Go Juice for gun oil, and results are also very good. I use aftermarket fine tipped applicators for all grease and oils, though some oil gets applied with a patch.

Finally, some gun oils work better than others as a protectant, or a rust preventative film, on blued finishes. Hoppes and M-Pro 7 gun oils are very highly rated at this, so I will often rub down the exterior of a blued firearm (as well as the bore of any firearm) with an oily patch and let the oil kind of work its way into the finish for a few hours before wiping off the excess, especially if I don't plan to shoot it again for a while.

You could use a CLP for all three purposes, but the typical result is that after you're done cleaning the gun, you'll have over-slimed it with a mediocre lube and a mediocre protectant.
>>
Bore cleaner
>hoppes elite
Copper remover
>mpro7 copper remover
Oil for use
>hoppes
Oil for storage
>eezox
Grease
>hoppes

Cleaning method
>otis

I gave up on rods years ago. Otis kit will not scratch or mar anything, and use brass ends.
>>
>>34361048
>Is it true you don't need to clean an AK?

Cleaning guns is just a military thing because they drag their shit through the mud and dirt.

Cleaning guns is a meme, like clearing a squib before you shoot again, or trigger discipline..
>>
Relatively newguns here

I just use a mix of slightly diluted balistol in a spray bottle

I rinse parts off first, give them a through scrub with the balistol using a toothbrush and qtips, run balistol soaked patches thru my barrel until they come out clean, rinse the dirty mix off my parts, dry them and give them a light coating before reassembly.

Never run into any dirty gun related malfunction yet but wanted to see if /k/ would cringe at my method?
>>
>>34360930
>What products are you using lately?
Boretech cleaners.
>how often do you clean them?
About once a year.

Hoppes is trash and you should get rid of it.
>>
>>34362852
thank you for your opinion
>>
why is overoiling seen as bad? I drench most of my guns in oil and I've never had any problems.
>>
>>34362882
Theoretically if water can cause FTF so could over oiling.
>>
>>34360930
>cleaning them is almost as fun as shooting them
the fuck?
>>
>>34362958

It's the OCD
>>
>>34362958
Pour a glass of bourbon, sit down, crank some music, and clean all your guns and relax. You get to really give then a good close look too.

Take the time to get close to your raifu.
>>
>>34363017
The best way to 'get close' to a gun is to burn primers with it. Sitting in your garage cleaning it does nothing to build your skill for its actual purpose.

Most autistic retards clean their guns far too often. Nearly every modern handgun will fire thousands of rounds without any care at all. All bolt rifles need nothing more than a pass of any cheap solvent you can find through their bore. Semi auto rifles same, with the addition of a shot of oil in a few spots.
>>
>>34363017
This sounds like a post right out of the buyfag thread on /a/.
>cleaning your anime figurines gives you a chance to have some alone time with them
You sound creepy as fuck.
>>
>>34363086
>Nearly every modern handgun will fire thousands of rounds without any care at all.
You really should keep your handgun lubricated for its own sake. Some guns, like Sigs, will literally beat themselves to breakage if you shoot more than a few hundred rounds at a time without lube.
>>
>>34363017
>raifu
I'm a pistol guy. Every time I sit down to clean my guns I curse whoever designed the little cunt; I can't imagine trying to clean 4x the barrel. Plus I don't even understand it when people describe shooting as "fun" — you're practicing killing things, take it seriously. Also berbin is shit.
>>
>>34363126
You are a retard. I have a P320 that has ~4k rounds through it less any cleaning or lubrication.
>>
>>34363145
I was obviously referring to the alloy frame models.
>>
>>34363145
Lets see it and the internals, I'm interested to see what it looks like.
>>
>>34362286
>will not scratch or mar anything

isn't the solution just to get a carbon fiber cleaning rod?
>>
>>34363134

What pistol do you have that it's so hard to clean?
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.