[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Newbie in need of help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: water-pistol-ab0exf.jpg (36KB, 640x445px) Image search: [Google]
water-pistol-ab0exf.jpg
36KB, 640x445px
Hello /k/, first timer here.
I am 22 years old and I recently made some new friends, one of which has a few weapons. We spoke about it a bit and after showing interest, he invited me to one of his hunting trips or to shooting range.

My problem is I have a very bad phobia about guns, passed on to me by my mother who kept saying how dangerous they are, that one accident and you're dead and so on. I wouldn't call myself a psycho, but phobia sure is not normal. I want to get through it and enjoy the time with my friend since I -DO- like guns (I watch videos often), maybe even get one of my own at some point. I wasn't very open about it with my friend yet to avoid awkwardness.

Has anyone else had similar experience that they worked through? Any tips or hints that did the trick for you? Thank you in advance!
>pic related my only gun experience thus far
>>
>>34357707
Really only way to get over the fear is to shoot them. Start with a small caliber and work your way up. Or just learn how to shoot a larger caliber and then the smaller calibers feel like nothing. As long as you point the gun where you want to shoot and recognized that is where the bullet will go, it becomes a little bit smoother and easier to get over the fear.
>>
>>34357707

It's literally like handling a nail gun or a drill or a table saw. Just don't put anything you don't want gone near the muzzle or point the muzzle at anything you don't want dead or destroyed and you're golden. Here's what you need to know:

Mind where the muzzle is pointing because that is always where the bullet is going

When not using a gun make sure the mag is out, the chamber is empty, the safety is on, and your booger hook is off the bang switch in that order. Above all keep it pointed in a safe direction at all times. Manage this and it will be a breeze.
>>
>>34357718
>>34357738
Thanks guys! Also, do accidents happen often? Do you have any experience with them? Is it bad luck or human error? I'm led to believe (fear) they happen frequently.
>>
>>34357766
Very rarely is it mechanical error. Most the time its either caused by human error or human negligence i.e not taking care of the gun like they should resulting in mechanical damage. As far as accidents, I've never had one but I've seen one and it was because the person never maintained their gun and the safety wore out.
>>
>>34357766
its human error or negligence
if it makes you feel better your more likely to drown in a pool or die in a car crash on the way there
>>
>>34357766

>Also, do accidents happen often?

No.

>Do you have any experience with them?

Yes, including a few full autos. It's fun shit my dude.

>Is it bad luck or human error?

Usually the error is behind the sights/stock. Catastrophic mechanical failure is about as rare as lightning strikes and most of those won't end up harming you anyways.

>I'm led to believe (fear) they happen frequently.

Depends on if the other shooters around you are abysmally incompetent. 95% of the time they're not.
>>
>>34357778
Haha yes, I know that feeling with airplanes also, much smaller chance to die yet the inevitability of death in an accident makes you cringe. Come back to me, logic!

>>34357777
Thank you both again, I am generally very careful and orderly with stuff, I hope I don't ruin my spree in the worst possible way. The person you mention, did he die?
>>
The only way to get over a phobia, is gradual exposure.

Start off small & talk to your friend about what you're going through.

First maybe attempt a range session without actually shooting?
Next hold the unloaded firearm and play with it?
Next fire a .22LR?
Later fire a large caliber firearm?

If it's a real phobia, you won't be able to resolve this with a single range visit...

>>34357766
>Also, do accidents happen often?
>Do you have any experience with them?

Accidents with serious bodily harm? I've been shooting forever and never actually saw one.
The only thing I've ever seen is a bullet hitting a metal target hanger & a part of the jacket bounced back, causing a minor cut on a leg.

>Is it bad luck or human error?

Usually the latter. If you use your head & quality ammo, there's not a whole lot that can go wrong mechanically.

That said, do wear eye & ear protection.
>>
>>34357793
>Catastrophic mechanical failure is about as rare as lightning strikes and most of those won't end up harming you anyways.
Thanks! This helps.

>Depends on if the other shooters around you are abysmally incompetent.
So in a way it's like most other things in life, avoid to get in a car with a drunken driver etc.
>>
File: 1418506605310.png (3MB, 2048x1058px) Image search: [Google]
1418506605310.png
3MB, 2048x1058px
>>34357707
Guns are like tattoos. Everyone's afraid of them, but once you do it once you're gonna want to do it over and over.

like >>34357738 said, they're no more dangerous than power tools. Treat them like a saw and you won't fuck up.

Remember the 4 rules:
>Treat every gun like it's loaded
>Never point at something you don't want dead
>Remember what's behind your target
>Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until you're ready to being the heat

Welcome to the /k/lub, anon
>>
>>34357796
Nah, just shot in front of him. Unless the gun blows up, not really a chance of it happening. For that to happen, there has to be some serious neglect whether its using the wrong sized caliber or not taking care of the gun to where it doesn't actually shoot out the round. That usually only happens if the person is reloading wrong or isn't paying attention.
>>
As far as im concerned, you're far more likely to get hurt chopping vegetables than firing a gun in a safe manner. Remember the basic rules of safety.
>>
>>34357798
>If it's a real phobia, you won't be able to resolve this with a single range visit...
I'm willing to work on it, I've countered other phobias head on so I believe it will work out in the end. Thanks for the tips!

>>34357807
>Guns are like tattoos
Well, that doesn't help much, I don't like tattoos. But your rules are important, I think if I put rules the fear will diminish itself. Thanks for the welcome!

>>34357811
>>34357820
Great, so the fear hype is just unreasonable, I just need to be careful and not careless like with everything else in life.
>>
>>34357855
I dont care how much chirping i get at whatever range or even when I hunt. Always wear shooting glasses (interchangeable lenses are awesome) and some form of hearing protection.
Like >>34357807 said. Use those steps and you'll be fine and everyone you shoot with will appreciate it more. Also when at the range, make sure the barrel is always pointed down range in case you do fuck up.
>>
>>34357861
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb7tWcohYSY

I see this grandpa's videos sometimes, he seems to know what he's doing! (sorry if what I do is commercializing)
>>
>>34357855
The way you conquer a phobia is through exposure and rationalization.

The fact that you're even willing to try is a very good sign. Just remember that they're just some pieces of metal. They won't jump up and bite you, they won't just explode in your hands.

You drive a car right? Cars are very dangerous. A couple tons of steel, going 50 mph? That's a nightmare.
But you know how to handle one, and you're probably comfortable driving to the store or to work.
Guns are the same way. They're tools, and being uncomfortable with tools that you're unfamiliar with is normal. Most people take Driver's Ed. Well that's what you're doing with guns.

Like I said, remember the rules, don't be a cocky douchebag. I learned everything I know from an old ex-cop, he never saw anyone hurt themselves unless they were being colossally stupid.
>>
>>34357855

one hundred percent unreasonable.
With a knife, you have to be careful at all times to make sure nothing touches it that you don't want cut.

A gun is far simpler. You merely keep it empty and unloaded, until the moment you are aiming and ready to fire at your target. There is no risk of injury like when you use a knife and can potentially fumble/ cut yourself.
>>
>>34357873
Only one thing and it's just personal preference. Hate shooting at steel targets. Just never liked it. Much rather send a round into the dirt than send it to a steel plate. (seen a video where it kicked back and almost hit the guy)
>>
>>34357874
>That's a nightmare.
Yea you're right and I'm actually very good with driving, both big and small cars. I've participated in Kart races too. I've crashed few times and still feel comfy. It's in my control, and the gun should be in my control too. Maybe I'm a bit worried others might just turn and shoot me? (please don't make fun of me!)

Thank you for the comment, it helps!
>don't be a cocky douchebag
I try not to :)

>>34357879
Good point anon, I will never be reckless.
>>
Thank you everyone, I have to go for now but I will lurk /k/ more to further get myself in the 'gun climate'!

Take care and cheers for your help :)
>>
File: 1466646204026.jpg (185KB, 1440x1420px) Image search: [Google]
1466646204026.jpg
185KB, 1440x1420px
>>34357892
>Maybe I'm a bit worried others might just turn and shoot me?

Here's the thing: if you wanted to shoot some people, would you do it at a place where a bunch of people are gathered with their weapons loaded? Or...literally anywhere else?

Phobias are irrational. I could stay up all night playing out scenarios with you and you'd come up with more. I understand. But I think you've got the idea. A guy with a box truck could decide to smash your car, but you still go on the highways.

You'll be fine bro (or sis, I guess). You'll probably be nervous right up until you start. DESU, I was still kinda scared through my whole first time.

Also: NEVER EVER BELIEVE HOLLYWOOD. IT'S ALL LIES. Throw everything you've seen in movies straight into the garbage. They simplify reality, and it's often hilariously misinformed.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.