[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Theoretical Bullet for Sci-fi

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

I'm writing a sci-fi and want to work out how feasible it would be to have a ferrofluid projectile in a coilgun. The problems I've run into have been how the bullet will leave the barrel without turning into a spray. My first thought was to freeze it. That leads to a few problems, it would make the weapon overly complicated, requiring both electromagnets and a cooling system capable of freezing the fluid into shape in a short amount of time. Is there a way to work around this? Is this theoretical design full of shit?

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=336567
>>
Any context for why a ferrofluid would be needed?
>>
>>34351537
Why can't the ferrofluid be inside a metal jacket?
>>
>>34351537
>ferrofluid projectile

JUST USE MAGNETIC METAL GLASS IF YOU WANT TO SOUND TECHNOBABBLY YOU FUCKING RETARD
>>
>>34351537
Just put your fluid inside a tungsten sabot. The sabot absorbs all the heat, peels off and the fluid should form a very aerodynamic tear drop.
>>
>>34351555
Partially for artistic reasons, the title is Black Jacket Bullet. But the other reason is a liquid bullet to help eliminate ballistic evidence that comes with a solid slug.
>>
>>34351616
That sounds like it could be an ideal solution. I'll have to look into the science behind it to make sure it's what I need, but it sounds like it'll be ideal.
>>
you could always go the Halo route and make the gun project magnetic fields/have a projecting core that keeps the fluid together and provides some guidance or tracking
>>
A container that is shed whenever the electromagnet in the bullet activates so you can do neat things with the ferrofluid.

I mean, you already have electronics in the bullet if you're going to be manipulating a ferrofluid on its surface.

Why not just have its casing dissolve or shed with the activation of the ferrofluid?

You're presumably shaping it into something cool midair and then it should harden before impact?
>>
>>34351602
no need to be such a sassy molassey, anon :^)
>>
A glob of liquid doesn't have the cohesion to work as a bullet, it'll be torn apart by wind drag, and it'll refuse to be spin stabilised while we're at it.
>>
>>34351537
Why not just have it deliver something that burns up on impact with the target instead of using the fluid? Like the bullet hits deforms and it starts a primer that burns up some mg or something i don't know. I'm just imagining it not being stable at all because it's a fluid.
>>
>>34351654
>But the other reason is a liquid bullet to help eliminate ballistic evidence that comes with a solid slug.

Figure out how to keep Gallium bullets cooled during firing. Gallium turns to a liquid at 29.8°C and seeing as how body temp is 37°C....
>>
>>34351537
Just use "nanomachines, son".
Ferrofluid that has nanomachines get fed into the chamber, where the desired bullet shape and other info get fed to the nanomachines, which then take shape before leaving the barrel.
Want to shoot a bunch of needle shaped flechettes? sure why not.
Just one solid bullet? coming right up.
APFSDS? can do.
All your projectile needs in a one-stop-shop solution.
>>
>>34351537
maybe some kind of fancy pants technomagic core that is electromagnetically charged during the projectiles acceleration and holds the ferrofluid to itself? upon contact with a target the increased amount of force could cause it to shear off and fragment.

The core could be fragile enough to do the same or you could have it stay intact and use it as a clue.
>>
>>34351537
to be fair, it is a scifi novel so you can say that we found some magic 2150 bullshit way to freeze it and all that
>>
>>34351537

Not to be that guy, but isn't it going to be a significant forensic marker when the dead dude has ferrofluid in his wounds?
>>
>>34351537
you're a "writer" just make something up. it's called creativity.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.