[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can /k/ help me out

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: IMG-20170624-WA0000.jpg (241KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170624-WA0000.jpg
241KB, 1600x1200px
Hey /k/ I was chopping wood with my dad when we found this bullet in a tree. I'm trying to find out what kind of bullet it is. Can you guys help me out?

The tree we cut down was about 80 years old and it was near a battle in the second world war so it might have been from germans or canadians.
>>
>>34349906
What country are you from OP?
>>
The Netherlands
>>
I dunno, might be from a WW-era Canadian or German issue round.
>>
You can probably tell pretty well by measuring it with a caliper.

Also count how many grooves are left in the bullet. Eyeballing, it looks like 5, which suggests possibly a Lee-Enfield fired it, assuming it's a .303
German K98s had 4 grooves,
Lee-Enfields had 2, 5, and 6 groove rifling, depending on which arsenal made them.
I don't know about the different MGs used off the top of my head.
>>
>>34349931
The bullet is still in the wood i chopped but from what i can see the bullet has 3 grooves.
>>
>>34349939
just 3 visible to you? Or three in all?

However many grooves there are, they'd be symmetrical.
>>
>>34349906
Square-ish end of the bullet's base to me looks more like .303 than a 7.92- but I'm not an expert really
>>
>>34349946
three grooves in total symmetrically around the bullet
>>
>>34349967
Interesting. I did a bit of research for you, and the only rifle I could find from WW2 that has 3-groove rifling is the Schmidt-Rubin - it's Swiss, so it's highly unlikely that one of those was the source of your bullet.
I'd suspect that the bullet came from a hunter's or target shooter's rifle, but it's not really characteristic of modern hunting ammo. I can't rule anything in or out.
Narrowing it down by bullet diameter and weight would give you a much better idea, but I wouldn't pull the bullet out just to do that.

Cut it into a nice block, give it a bit of linseed oil, and put it on the fireplace for a neat display piece.
>>
>>34350006
Thank you I will
>>
>>34349906
The wood was dead when it was shot.
>>
>>34350119
No it died when it was shot
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.