[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do I need a long gun?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: AR.jpg (19KB, 745x420px) Image search: [Google]
AR.jpg
19KB, 745x420px
So is there any point in dropping ~$500 on an AR (plus more for sling, sights, flashlight mount, flashlight) for self defense? When would I ever need a long gun besides "muh SHTF" when I don't hunt?

I have 2 handguns, a G43 and a G19 and I kind of want to get a snubnose revolver for AIWB CC because my g43 doesn't conceal well. I'm too much of a pussy to carry a Glock appendix. I have a 32rd mag and a light on my G19 and I believe that is sufficient for HD, so do I really NEED a long gun?

Also post good snub .38s
>>
>>34344963
Why are you asking a question when you have already justified it. In addition to shtf the another reason to by the shit is cool factor which is why you own a G43. Also refrain from gun control baiting
>>
>>34344963
If you don't want a long gun why even create the thread?
>>
>>34344963
>When would I ever need a long gun besides "muh SHTF" when I don't hunt?
when you need to shoot something father than 50meters away without being hickok45
>>
>>34344986
>>34344991
So there's really no reason to have one besides shtf then? I just feel like if I already have 2 handguns I should probably get a long gun
>>
>>34345017
Do you want a modular semiauto rifle with a giant aftermarket and cheap ammo?
If the answer is no, then you have "no reason" to own an ar15.

How the fuck do you expect people to change your mind when you've already made up your mind that your handguns are enough?
>>
>>34344986
>>34345280
OP asked a question, he didn't say he didn't need one he wanted to know if there are any reasons he should have one. I think you guys are used to posting in troll threads. I don't think this is one

>>34344963
I doubt you would ever need a long gun but their uses are so versatile that as a firearms enthusiast (which you might not be) it would be strange not to own one.

You could get a good pump action 12 gauge for less than $500 that has the ability to shoot many different kinds of usually cheap ammunition
>>
>>34345330
Yea, he asked a question. Essentially for everyone to change his mind.

>>34345330
>he didn't say he didn't need one

>>34344963
>do I really NEED

Well he gave reasons why he thought he didn't, and ended with a statement/question. So ya, whatever, shit thread.
>>
>>34344963
Do get an AR-15. When shit goes down for real and tyrone armed with glock comes to rape your wife/daughter, you'd want to be able to stop him.
>>
>>34344963
>my g43 doesn't conceal well
are you a bb or do you dress like a girl
>>
>>34344963
>Bill of NEEDS

Assholery aside, strictly speaking, you probably don't "need" a long gun.

I guess the biggest reason I'd say you "need" a long gun is for home defense. It's going to be much easier to get hits on target under pressure with a long gun than a pistol.

I'd also submit for your consideration that owning an AR specifically has become a political/ethical statement at this point. I actually was kinda an AR hater til the election, but I thought, well fuck, if the powers that be say I can't/shouldn't have one, then I need one.

Once I got it I fell in love with it. There's the best reason, honestly: shootin' long gun is fun. Have a ball, OP.
>>
>>34344963
Since you seem to be only interested in self defense aspect of firearms ownership, have this:

“The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down.”

The pistol is a backup weapon. You should always have a long gun if your primary concern is self defense. Of course carrying a rifle or shotgun concealed isn't feasible for most, but for home defense you're rolling the dice that whoever comes knocking down your door at 3AM doesn't have a rifle or shotgun.

It's just common sense, my dude.
>>
File: 1488374886726.jpg (60KB, 516x604px) Image search: [Google]
1488374886726.jpg
60KB, 516x604px
>>34345808
both. I can conceal it fine at 4-o-clock but I need deep concealment, i'm not really supposed to carry at work
>>
>>34344963
What if you ever need to project force at greater than pistol range? I don't know what specifically might happen, but having something and not needing it always beats the other way around.
>>
>>34344963
I was so excited about getting an AR when I moved from New Yorkistan to a free state. I dumped SO MUCH money into dressing it up.

Colt 6920 was a pretty big letdown. 3-4 MOA with bulk isn't interesting and "the fun part" never really came. It just took up space, had a series of increasingly expensive shitty triggers, and was never worth spending my limited time with. I mean, my friggin' 452 Varmint shooting CCI Standard was more accurate at 100 yards. No thanks.

Sold it and don't miss it. I'd eventually like a .223 carbine to share ammo with my 700 Police (which, for all the hate Remington gets, is a solid rifle). But I'd be looking at like LaRue or similar.
>>
>>34344963
It's easier to use, more powerful, less likely to cruise through multiple walls, and costs the same.
You can also get an AR pistol and get a 'brace' for it and have a very short gun
>>
>>34346779
>buy a basic bitch ar
>probably bought literally any trigger but gessielle
>thinks he's going to do under 2 moa with bulk stuff on any rifle
>suprised a boltaction is more accurate than a semiauto
>plans to buy another overpriced ar that isnt even good because he didnt learn his lesson the first time

most cheap .223 is binary being lead and steel to save money. the bullet non homogenous, which leads to larger groups

teflon coated or nickel boron'd milspec fcg arent all that great and arent worth the $40-$60 asking price. there's some great gessielle triggers thatll feel pretty good, but the ar is a fighting platform and the trigger will always need a little weight behind it

shoot proper m193 and improve your trigger squeeze and you could have shot 2 moa all day.
>>
>>34344963
Besides SHTF, a long gun is often better for home defense than a pistol, especially something like an AR or good semi-auto or pump shotgun. It doesn't take an expert in terminal ballistics to figure out that those guns have the potential to cause much more damage per shot and are better overall at stopping a threat quickly. They are also easier to shoot and possibly require less practice to maintain proficiency with. Besides that they're just plain fun. If you don't find guns fun, idk what to tell you.
>>
>>34347088

G2S was not worth the money IMO. Sample of one but my second stage was creepy and gross. Maybe I got a lemon. The more expensive triggers are nice, I agree, but jesus they're expensive. I had a CMC single stage in the rifle when I sold it, which I thought was passable.

Surprised bulk rimfire repeatedly outshot reasonable centerfire loads (M855 and M193 included), yeah a little. I don't shoot steel case.

Assumed I was the problem too at first.

Think I did want too much out of it, that's probably fair.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.