[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting started.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

File: fad1f32a8828199a8a9be3da923358ed.jpg (226KB, 1280x956px) Image search: [Google]
fad1f32a8828199a8a9be3da923358ed.jpg
226KB, 1280x956px
Gun virgin here.
Recently I've felt compelled to one, carry a firearm and two, live up to my position that owners of firearms should always be educated on their weapons.

Question one: what is the most effective hand gun for reliability, price, and general safety for concealed carry?

Question two: What resources are the most useful for learning operation and firearm safety?
(aside from one on one training, I'm already looking into that and will address it shortly)

Question three: Are there any resources, personal training methodologies, etc, that should be avoided?

Thanks for the help.
>>
File: summer.jpg (377KB, 750x574px) Image search: [Google]
summer.jpg
377KB, 750x574px
>>
1. Look at some cheaper sigs first and if you don't like those look at glawks.
2. I personally learned via exposure and friends. Other people learn by watching a zillion youtube videos. Some learn by browsing gun forums. I 'unno, whatever happens to fall into your lap. Yeah you can go to gun safety and gun basics courses if you want, and those will teach you, but they cost cash.
3. Youtube videos should generally be avoided for learning about firearm basics. Some channels are good, some are bad, not worth the risk though. Honestly, as long as you're not clinically retard and have even a modem of common sense you'll be fine.
>>
>>34344731
Thanks for the response.

One thing I forgot to include in the OP, is there a qualitative difference between the performance of a revolver or modern handgun for the purpose laid out above?
>>
>>34344721
>how dare you want to get into guns at this particular time of year! Fucking newfag! /k/'s for us oldfags to jerk each other off, not for relevant discussion pertaining to guns!
Please kill yourself
>>
>>34344757
revolvers generally (depending on the caliber) have a lower capacity but do not suffer some of the mechanical problems as autoloaders. they are available in a wide variety of calibers however, from .357 to 45-70 to .410 shotgun shells. most handguns are chambered in .380, 9x18, 9x19, .45, .40S&W, or 10mm.
lurk more
>>
>>34344721
What does /k/ prefer: summer s/k/ool or summer /k/amp
>>
>>34345292
I like the /k/amps personally.
>>
>>34345305
How about /k/indergarten
>>
>>34345320
also a classic
>>
File: 1488124579732.jpg (94KB, 500x636px) Image search: [Google]
1488124579732.jpg
94KB, 500x636px
>>34344625

My advise: take your time. I know it sounds stupid, but the Internet is a fantastic resource. Spent a few weeks or months learning up on everything guns. Go into gun stores without the intent to buy. Fingerbang everything. You'll get dirty looks but fuckem, you're doing research. Any time anyone has anything to say about guns become intent and focus. Find out if they are knowledgeable. If not, correct them about EVERYTHING. If so, listen as long as they are willing to talk.

Laugh all you want, but /k/ actually is a decent source for info, insider opinion and general knowledge. We know everything. Just gotta motivate us.

This is the most important of all - no matter how much you read, no matter how long you lurk, no matter how many pictures you see, no matter how many videos you watch, you don't know SHIT until you disassemble, reassemble and fire a gun. After that you become a seasoned veteran of guns. Unless you're black - then you're a Coke dealer.
>>
>>34345430
Thanks for the reply.

I agree with your point on disassembly.
A large part of this decision has been prompted by my contempt for people who have large opinions on guns without actually knowing much about them. I couldn't think of a better way of learning other than buying and carrying myself so here we are.

Another aspect of the decision is that, because I have rather unpopular, far left, political views and am a homosexual I'd prefer to be able to defend myself from far right extremists and Muslim radicals.
>>
What is the general opinion of Ruger?
I've seen some nice looking revolvers from them for a reasonable price, are they favored or disliked, why?
>>
>>34345609

And who can blame you for any of that?
>>
>>34345609
>I unironically helped a commie arm himself
Wonderful. Hey, next time, include your political views in the OP please so people can keep themselves from wasting their time.
>>
>>34345683
>he didn't look at the picture of the red army soiling Nazi flags in the OP

This is a board for weapons, I asked a question about weapons. If you're so immature as to make red scare posts I'd say get off the website.

Any onions on Ruger?
>>
>>34345720
> If you're so immature as to make red scare posts I'd say get off the website.
Do you not see the irony here you indescribable fucking retard? You come onto /k/, willingly say you're a gun "virgin" and new, and then you think you can tell me to leave this website and call me immature especially after I gave you advice? I'd pay money to see you killed. Fuck off.
>>
>>34345749
"I'd pay money to see you killed."
And people like you are the reason I'm goign to carry.
Any opinions on Ruger?
>>
File: Fucktard.jpg (73KB, 549x721px) Image search: [Google]
Fucktard.jpg
73KB, 549x721px
>>34344782
Oh I'm sorry I wasn't aware that calling out a retard who wants spoonfeeding when he has the collective knowledge of the entire human race at his fingertips was frowned upon here.
>>
>>34345625
>Ruger

Their audoloaders are mediocre, but their revolvers are all excellent. They are stronger than the equivalent Smith and Wesson designs--in some cases vastly stronger--yet are less expensive.
>>
>>34345807
Thanks for the reply.

A'ight, the visual aesthetic of the LCR made my dick hard at an affordable price.
>>
File: 1482898907933.png (314KB, 794x589px) Image search: [Google]
1482898907933.png
314KB, 794x589px
>>34345720

Ruger is a good name mostly catering to .22lr can't say anything about their other weapons as I own none.

Given the info you've displayed, I'd advise against revolvers. You're looking for something more along the lines of a 9x19mm handgun. Glock is a straight up rip off. Grab a Taurus PT111MG2 or an SD9VE.

Throw away any video game and liberal logic you've learned thus far. It's not more powerful just because it's a revolver - they shoot practically the same round - revolvers just lose half their power because retard ass design where bullet is half a mile from chamber.

"You only need one" logic. Then get a Derringer single shot pocket pistol and die because you - like everybody else - will miss WAY more than you will hit. The REAL question is how many do you feel safe/confident having.

Force projection actually does matter to some extent. If you have to stop and reload your .45LC every 5-6 shots, your force projection is pathetic and the enemy will make bolder and more lethal moves against you. 12-16 and one lightning fast reload away from 24-32 means your projection can force your aggressor to hunker down or leave.

I am a quality-over-quantity person... but when it comes to guns - great quality with low quantity will always be overtaken by high quantity with low-mid quality.
>>
>>34345720
Can't say much about anything besides Ruger's rifles. As a whole they come across as a damn good company that values you. I own a Ruger American bolt action chambered in .270 and it is an absolute treat. Very smooth cycle and well cushioned, little recoil feel perfect for cold days taking deer. Assuming their handguns are half as good as the rifle they are well worth a look.
>>
>>34345763
Rugers suck

Buy a jennings
>>
>>34344625
Assuming you are not some underage kid and you have an interest in guns the best advice is to do research on internet, make your opinions on what you actually experience not what kids on summer /k/amp tell you, and visit gun stores and gun shows before buying. Talk to store owners or guys at shows and they will be more than happy to help and can give you good advice.
>>
>>34345913
Thanks for the reply.

The main reason I was considering a revolver was the durability and simplicity of the design. No complicated mechanisms, near solid metal construction, it just seems logical.

I can see the logic in your bit about quantity though.
>>
>>34345979
Thanks for the reply.

Have you had any experience with purchasing used firearms, is it advised for the price factor or discouraged for the wear on the mechanism?
>>
>>34345609
You really ought to be less condescending, I mean that's how you're coming off to me anyway. The whole
>anyone with a gun must be educated in the safe and proper handling thereof (paraphrasing)
thing reeks of contempt towards the image of gun-toting right wing redneck that I'm assuming you as a mid twenties liberal have in your head. Fact is I'd trust a man like that with a firearm any day over you, because experience counts above all else. So go get some.
P.S. get the cheapest second hand not-outright-shit gun you can find and spend the money you saved on ammo.
>>
>>34344625
Fuck off commie.

I hope you accidentally kys with your new gun
>>
File: greta;.jpg (280KB, 2000x1125px) Image search: [Google]
greta;.jpg
280KB, 2000x1125px
>>34346070
"liberal" No, I fucking hate liberals.
In fact I'm trying to get experience, " I couldn't think of a better way of learning other than buying and carrying myself so here we are. "

Aren't cheap, poorly owned weapons rather prone to things like jamming or general mechanical failure?

>>34346092
>*teleports behind you*
>nothing personel kid
>tfw you save your lily white virgin boi pucci from kultural markism and totally aren't a notsee
>>
>>34344625
1. Glock 19
2. Take a class
3. 4chan
>>
>>34346321
>3. 4chan
Great point, desu.
I'm just bored on my day off and this is easy to have running in another tab while I read about this stuff.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.