[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would the LCR 22 Magnum be a good first gun/CC?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

File: Ruger-LCR-38-sp-front-quarter.jpg (123KB, 1024x625px) Image search: [Google]
Ruger-LCR-38-sp-front-quarter.jpg
123KB, 1024x625px
Would the LCR 22 Magnum be a good first gun/CC?
>>
Can it shoot .22LR as well?

If so, yes. If not, still not the worst possible choice.
>>
If you get it in 38 special p+
>>
>>34343369
22 mag? Yes
22 LR? Not so much
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmhmtJvLZQU
>>
LCR or LCRx?
>>
With that barrel length theres a minimal ballistics difference between the 2. I would get the .22lr for the extra 2 shots. As a first gun, anything under a 3 inch barrel is going to be a pain in the ass to shoot and get good with.

However ruger just brought out an lcrx in 38 special with a 3 inch barrel. That would be a considerably better first gun.
>>
>>34343369
The X variant is alright with magnums but the 22lr is cooler. In 22 you should have zero problems with the pistol weight and the trigger and grip is excellent. It's up to you if you think 22lr is good for CC. Some people think it is. In a revolver at least you don't have to worry about jams on dud rounds or light strikes. If you wan the extra power and are already considering shelling out for the 22 magnum then go 327 for carry and load 32sw longs for the lighter cartridge.
>>
>>34343440
I'm not OP but my question is relevant,
how much is 22Magnum in comparison to LR or 9mm?
I'm also noguns looking to be hasguns, and want a gun with cheap ammo.
>>
>>34343387
>38 special p+

Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't the extra power of a 38+P and a .22mag go to waste on such a small barrel??

I read that you need at least 4 inches of barrel since to take advantage of the extra gas pressure those two rounds create.
>>
>>34344493

on a scale of 1 to 10

the LR is 2
the 22 mag is a 8
the 9mm is a 10

this is going from what I have seen in those ballistic gel test
>>
>>34344650
>ballistic gel test
No I mean cost for ammo wise.
>>
>>34344662
oh

the 22LR are cheap as dirt and the 9mm and 22mag cost around the same.
>>
>>34343587
>>34343856
It'd be the LCR hammerless. I live in Chicago, so I cant carry a 1911 or Glock 19, so I'm looking for the smallest revolver with the best trigger. The consensus seems to be that the LCR is the best, but everyone says the recoil of the .38 isnt fun. Was wondering if 22 WMR is a good CC round.
>>
>>34344732
>the recoil of the 38 isn't fun

I have one, and unless you're a tiny woman or a dyel trap forearmlet it's fine. I suppose after 100 +p you might have a sore thumb web but who plinks with +p?
>>
>>34343369
>jews
Go away, merchant
>>
>>34344631
Nope

Just grab some 125 grain golden sabers and enjoy 14 inches of penetration with .63 expansion. Basically 9mm performance out of a snub nose. 38 special practice ammo is cheap, go to gunbot get a 500 round case of s&b or fiocchi and get gud
>>
.38+p recoil out of a light ass revolver aint shit.
>>
>>34344802
>when you've had so much /pol/ that you somehow see mention of jews in everything
>>
File: ayy.jpg (60KB, 320x241px) Image search: [Google]
ayy.jpg
60KB, 320x241px
>>34344779
"dyel trap forearmlet"
>>
>>34344802
Wat.
>>
Alright, so I see that most people are saying go with the .38. Tight. Anyone have any recommendations for pocket holsters?
>>
>>34344732
Go see if you can rent a revolver at a range. Call around to see if any ranges have them in stock to check out. You can always see if they have a similar .38 +P revolver too just to get a feel for the round.

Imo, the only gun I'd get in .22Mag is the Kel-Tec PMR-30 simply because of the capacity that is capable (30 rounds) in such a lightweight package.

I believe Ruger just released an LCR in 9mm too, and that might be worth checking out since it greatly opens up your options for rounds.
>>
>>34344871
Yeah, I live in Chicago so a range is gonna be a mission to get to. Just trying to learn as much as possible before I go so I dont have my dick out in the breeze once I get there.

Would the kick from 9mm be substantially more than .38?
>>
>>34343383
22mag is not simply a lengthened 22lr. 22lr cannot be safely fired out of a 22mag chamber. you can fire it without fear of catastrophic failures since 22lr is pretty weak but you really shouldnt.
>>
File: 357sw60.png (1MB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
357sw60.png
1MB, 1136x640px
>>34344887
a regular 38 special in a 10oz j-frame feels about like a .40. If you load +P for self-defense it is potent. The 9mm will have more recoil than the standard load. You can get low recoil rounds if the 38 bothers you but at that point you might as well be carrying a 380acp that's just as light but smaller and cheaper. 22magnum in particular loses most of its velocity when it isn't used in a rifle like intended. 38's less so, 9mm will lose the least. A .357 in a 1.8" barrel has performance roughly in line with 45acp. Centerfire cartridges work better in shorter barrels.
>>
>>34344977
Would a 357 have less recoil because its heavier?
>>
>>34344993
the 357 lcr is roughly 2oz heavier simply to compensate for the stresses and has a thicker barrel/cylinder. The 327 has very similar performance but has higher capacity and less recoil. The only drawback really is the ammo cost, but you can load 6 different types into it.
>>
>>34344732
yeah dude 22 WMR is totally enough power to drop a 200lb pissed off pavement ape lmao
>>
>>34343369
If you're getting anything smaller than .38/.357 get .327federal mag. You get 6 shots and .327 recoils like a cupcake and is VERY good out of a short barrel.

If you're considering .38, just spring the extra few pennies for .357, the couple extra ounces in weight that gives the .357's more strength will make .38s that much lighter, and you have a wider ammo option, even if you don't shoot .357s the option is there.

.22lr out of a rifle is fine, but out of a snubnose handgun it's not going to be much. That being said it's still better than throwing rocks. If you must carry a .22, atleast you're doing better than most by carrying a revolver.

.22mag isn't much cheaper to shoot than .38s

Just get the .357 and shoot .38s out of ot bro. It's really your best option, and if you feel like you need 1 extra bullet get the .327.. either of those is going to give you a much broader range of ammo to shoot. You can shoot almost any .32 out of the .327fedmag btw.

>>34344866
Uncle mikes pocket poorfag special. No shit. I have been happier with their pockey holster for my lcp than almost any other option I tried. And if you don't like it? Omg you spent like $12 on it
>>
Still this anon >>34345860

Also I have the sp101. It was a tossup for me between the sp101 and the lcr. Kind of wish I would have got the lcr because it's a lot lighter to carry... but the sp101 is also a lot more pleasant to shoot because of its weight. Also If I run out of ammo I can beat some one to death with it.

Practice practice practice, OP. Get speedloaders and practice. Also speed strips are cool too
>>
>>34345039
>ammo cost

327, like any other straight walled rimmed cartridge, is piss-easy to reload. It'd be insane not to. Plus you can load mousefart rounds for plinking rather than buy 6 different types of ammo.
>>
>>34344631
>I read that you need at least 4 inches of barrel since to take advantage of the extra gas pressure those two rounds create
Yes and no, there are special loads made for short barrels.
>>
File: Ruger SP101.jpg (74KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Ruger SP101.jpg
74KB, 960x720px
>>34344732
>but everyone says the recoil of the .38 isnt fun
It should be manageable, but Ruger also makes the SP101 revolvers that are all metal, which will have a lot less recoil in .38 Special

>Was wondering if 22 WMR is a good CC round.
I would advise against it.

Also if you're concerned about triggers, .22LR and .22WMR will have stiffer triggers by the virtue of these cartridges being rimfire.
>>
>>34345242
So is .380acp, but 22 wmr more energy even in a pistol.
>>
>>34345860
.38s cause buildup in .357 revolvers, which is a pain in the ass to clean.
>>
>>34346405
>Carrying an sp101 in anything less than .357 out of a 4" barrel

You done goofed.
>>34344631
.38+P looses basically nothing out of a 2" barrel
>>
>>34344732
>but everyone says the recoil of the .38 isnt fun

Nigga what? Who the hell complains about .38 Special recoil?
>>
>>34346405
da fuck is that ammo?
>>
File: what-is-a-wadcutter-bullet.jpg (962KB, 2061x1373px) Image search: [Google]
what-is-a-wadcutter-bullet.jpg
962KB, 2061x1373px
>>34346708
>implying .38 Special out of an all steel snub isn't soft as a kitten as far as recoil goes, meaning follow-up shots are super easy
>implying you still don't have good firepower on par with 9mm Luger
>implying it's heavy

>>34346773
.38 Special Wadcutters, it's an oldschool kind of target ammo which is particularly light in recoil, it's a cylindrical non-jacketed lead bullet which is seated down into the case.
The entire point is really to make a cleaner hole when shooting paper, for the purpose of making it easier and cleaner to determine hits and score, and to be very easy to handle, but over the decades people found it actually doesn't work bad on two legged threats.
Both Colt and Smith & Wesson actually made some very specialized semi-automatic Race Guns (1911s and Model 59 variants, respectively), which chambered these .38 Special loads, accurate and light in recoil, the cartridge would actually be short enough that it could be made to work reliably with a specialized setup.

Some old timers will tell you it's the best stuff you can put in a snub because of how you will have basically .22LR recoil, but I beg to differ, I would rather have the better performance of a hollowpoint or an Extreme Penetrator, I'll still have a gun that's super easy to control in rapid fire at any rate, and I'd rather leave the wadcutters for plinking and practice.
That said I wouldn't want to be hit with them.
>>
>>34347086
Why are those wadcutters seated down in the case, while >>34346405 has them sticking out?

Is there a difference in performance or lethality?
>>
>>34346773
Wadcutters
>>
>>34346683
>.38s cause buildup in .357 revolvers, which is a pain in the ass to clean
Callum is that you?
No. No it doesn't. Is this some kind of new fuddlore I haven't heard yet? You're talking about miniscule differences in case size.. it's almost nothing and literally only different so retards don't put .357s in grandpas old service revolver from the 1920's

I shoot way more .38s out of my sp101 than .357s and have noticed no difference in carbon fouling between the two. It's a snub, they get dirty as fuck after 20-30 rounds of anything. Your reason for not getting a .357 over a .38 is retarded. You're going to clean it anyways, what's another couple minutes of swabbing
>>
>>34347323
There's actually a bunch of different wadcutters (some have a hollow base, some are double-ended, some have a rounded tip, etc), I couldn't tell you the exact reason why that one protrudes.
>>
>>34347416
>No. No it doesn't. Is this some kind of new fuddlore I haven't heard yet?
Different guy, I have heard this passed around recently, but I actually am not sure of the veracity of it.

Sure, it's just barely longer at all, but the case walls are also slightly thicker, resulting in a slightly wider case (partially to make sure a Magnum won't chamber in a Special under any circumstances), I have no idea if there's any way this matters.

I have also heard from someone working at a gun store that they keep getting .357 Magnum revolvers with cracked forcing cones from people who shoot a bunch of .38 Special out of them, and that this is something .38 Special does as well, but I don't know if that's actually true either.
>>
>>34347504
I only know of people getting cracked forcing cones on .357 revolvers due to shooting a lot of red hot 125gr .357 rounds.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.