[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sights

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: image.png (935KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
935KB, 640x1136px
What firearm has the best Iron sights?

Do you think, as more optics are being developed, we could see and end to iron sights on firearms? Discuss.
>>
>>34342675
>What firearm has the best Iron sights?
AR easily
>we could see and end to iron sights on firearms?
You could choose not to have them, but I like the redundancy and I like being able to be proficient with them as well as red dots and magnified optics.
>>
>>34342675
The best iron sights ever put on a rifle, hands down, are on the M1 Garand and M14.
>>
>>34342675
SIG diopter sights. iron will always have a place for poorfag countries or backup sigths. small, light, no energy needed, less shit to break
>>
>>34343540
I love my M1 garand iron sights, too fucking good.
>>
The only irons I could pick up from zero and use right away were on a mosin, so I'd say I enjoy them the best.
>>
File: 1492020845165.gif (974KB, 285x171px) Image search: [Google]
1492020845165.gif
974KB, 285x171px
how are the sights on k11's and other swiss guns ?
>>
>>34342675
G3
>>
File: 415u7cqV-2L.jpg (20KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
415u7cqV-2L.jpg
20KB, 500x500px
The gun doesn't really matter. M1 garand, M14, AR15, even my gunsite scout. They all have one thing in common, a ring sight in the rear and a three prong fork up front.

It really doesn't get better than that.

Mosins come pretty close too, maybe even just as good

>three bricks line up to make the Berlin wall.

..but that ring sight, man.
>>
Has anyone here used Finnish M39 iron sights? they're damn good too. Probably the nicest open sights ive used.
>>
File: 631208770.jpg (153KB, 1100x762px) Image search: [Google]
631208770.jpg
153KB, 1100x762px
>>34342675
AK family, easily
People who claim to prefer aperture sights are just virtue-signalling.
The AK's sights are great because they're just big pistol sights and as such are nearly red dot fast at close range and require little training to use effectively since your handgun marksmanship skills transfer.
Yes, they're not great out past 200 yards or so, but optics exist and most shooting happens closer than that anyway so it's academic.
>>
>>34346086
> most shooting happens closer than that anyway

For urban/home defense, sure. Not for military engagements.

Weren't the vast majority of engagements in Afghanistan/Iraq 200-300+ yards?
>>
>>34346086
It depends. I have fucked up eyes (severe astigmatism and pretty strong normal prescription) and I can't shoot with AK sights to save my life, even with glasses on. Something about the rear sight being so small and so far from my eye really fucks with me. I can shoot quite well with peep sights, though, and don't have much of an issue with handgun sights either.
>>
>>34342675
>living in a basement
I can already taste the stale mildew
>>
>>34345816
Usually they start at a 300 yard zero, but I've seen some privately owned ones that had the k-31 style 100 yard initial zero.

I find the sites pretty easy to use, but typical of the era they were made.
>>
>>34346109
>Not for military engagements.
The "most combat occurs within 300m" meme is allegedly from a study of WW2 fighting.
>>
HK Diopeter sights.

All other answers are incorrect.
>>
>>34346086
I'm with you on that, I love AK irons.
>>
>>34347474
And yet since the adoption of smokeless powder more engagements have been fought at over 400 yards than at under 200 yards.

Yeah, more people get shot in the close range engagements because everyone's doing less missing, but they are comparatively less common.
>>
>>34342675
I love HK sights
>>
>>34346110
Ok, they're great for people without crippling health issues.
>>
>>34348114
>since the adoption of smokeless powder more engagements have been fought at over 400 yards than at under 200 yards
[citation needed]
>>
>>34342675
Aperture is as good as it gets, I'd say the M1917 rifle was when iron sights were finally perfected and every aperture iteration from then on was just making sure to maintain that level of functionality.
>>
Aperture sights are literally the worst fucking sight to ever exist.

I like HK sights on the open setting.
Where it's just a cut away, not a hole.

>Hey man look through this tiny hole when shooting to obscure everything else on either side of the target and even a little bit above!

And they're not easy to line up super fast either.

I can be quite accurate shooting an AK one handed arm outstretched but I could never do that with an aperture sight.
>>
apertures are always better than notch and block imo. I get equal height equal light but pretty much all notch sights are the same to me. Globe and aperture are the best for bullseye imo but not great for much else
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.