[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /k/.. What is like to be under fire?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 17

File: 1.jpg (16KB, 350x268px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
16KB, 350x268px
Hello /k/..
What is like to be under fire?
>>
Not great
>>
>>34342249
A bit lower than being over fire
>>
>>34342249
like arguing with your girlfriend and she knows you cheated on her
>>
>>34342249

Depends on who's doing the firing, and what they're using, now doesn't it, pumpkin.
>>
>>34342249
Like being trapped in a basement of a burning building
>>
>>34342249
Ask your mother how it felt when a pack of niggers jizzed on her face for 5 hrs straight.
>>
fucking terrifying if you didn't start it, slightly less fucking terrifying if you did start it.

even when you are in a well fortified mountain top COP.
>>
>>34342249
Fine. Fire back harder and call in arty/cas
>>
NOBODY ON HERE KNOWS!!!
>>
>>34342332
I know. That's why I haven't commented anything.
>>
>>34342249
Uniquely erotic
>>
>>34342339
You wise wizard, saving his wisdom for the worthy. Fuck off nigger
>>
>>34342249
Not as bad as being on fire, THAT SHIT SUCKED.
>>
Nobody here knows
>>
File: SSH SSH SHAA.jpg (52KB, 576x445px) Image search: [Google]
SSH SSH SHAA.jpg
52KB, 576x445px
>>
My dad and I got lit up by a truck load of drunk Mexicans who were illegally shooting from the road while hunting. That was pretty terrifying, but I also got to shoot at Mexicans so that's a plus.
>>
>>34342274
>Depends on who's doing the firing, and what they're using

This pretty much sums it up.

I've been shot at with RPG's, belt-fed weapons, AK's, an SPG-9 recoiless rifle, 107 mm rockets, 60 mm mortars, and even got lit up a couple of times by some assholes who crammed a fucking DSHKA inside a van. It all sucks, but it really depends on who's using the shit.

Most of the fire we took in A-stan and Iraq was simply area fire, because Haj isn't into accuracy as much as he's into quantity, so when he unloads, you feel pretty confident about not getting hit if you can simply get down behind some cover. The only things that are sketchy are the RPG rounds, because no matter where you are, when you see or hear those fuckers kick off, it seems like they're always coming right towards you.

You can tell if the dudes shooting at you know what the fuck they're doing or not by whether or not they land hits, or get close, on their first shots, and if and how well they adjust their fires. If nobody gets hit, and they don't adjust onto target, then you know you're dealing with clueless fucks, though it still sucks because even a clueless fuck can get lucky from time to time.

Regardless, I always reminded my boys that the shit works both ways, so if some asshole is shooting at you, the best thing to do is SHOOT BACK.
>>
If you have adequate cover, it's not bad. No different then when you're in the range pit pushing targets.

If you start getting fired on when you're in the open, it's pretty fucking crazy. You think you know adrenaline until you're hearing that snap and seeing the sand fly up around you. I won't lie, it's like the ultimate high. Perfect for an adrenaline junkie or someone like that.
>>
>>34342643
what kind of adjustments do you do?

kentucky windage and aim higher?

irons? acog?

rifle M4?
>>
>>34342262
In other words, just a matter of time unless you end it first.
>>
>>34342709
Not him, but you just adjust with the ACOG reticle. If you have irons, you'll basically just Kentucky it. Unless you know you're going to be shooting at targets at a specific range for an extended time, but that never happened.
>>
>>34342709
>what kind of adjustments do you do?

Why don't you enlist and find out.
>>
>>34342249
What's it like creating two shit threads for your autistic question?
>>
>>34342835
specifics please
>>
>>34342249
Is the guy in the pic ok?
>>
File: 1487187588121.jpg (285KB, 943x960px) Image search: [Google]
1487187588121.jpg
285KB, 943x960px
Is it true that people with antennas (RTO, squad leads, etc.) got more fire coming in than regular soldiers?
>>
I had an erection the whole time and had to mastrubate after we got back on base.
>>
File: prettysafe.jpg (77KB, 601x338px) Image search: [Google]
prettysafe.jpg
77KB, 601x338px
>>34342249
It's all relative
>>
>>34342919
No, given that at the sort of range engagements are conducted at you're not going to see an aerial anyway, and they're going to shoot at anything they can see as opposed to specific targets.
>>
>>34342919
If the hadjis are making a tactical attack. Often there ambushes are spray and pray clusterfucks.

A sniper usually tries to Target leadership, yes. From distance it can be hard to spot rank, insignia, even some comms. You rely on body language. Example: the guy standing in the middle with his arms crossed telling other people what to do, shoot that guy.
>>
>>34342931
I should watch this show again. Been a few years.
>>
>>34342931
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWoBtcFw040
>>
File: 1495246699568.png (67KB, 449x1197px) Image search: [Google]
1495246699568.png
67KB, 449x1197px
>>34342971
>what if they use an RPG on us
>they laugh even harder

every fucking time
>>
>>34342249
In your mind youre thinking "goddamn fuck this shit"

In reality youre shouting "fuck you, you piece of shit"
>>
>>34342253
Underrated
>>
>>34342880
He doesnt know specifics because enlisted are barely able tie their shoes, let alone adjust for windage.

T. Guy who works with army vets
>>
Walk into the low income portion of any major US city and loudly declare yourself 'King of the Niggers'.
>>
>>34342880
Fuck you Muhammad.

Figure it out for yourself.
>>
Just puffs of dirt and debris popping up around you if you're within the impact zone. Really, that's it.
>>
File: military profile pic.jpg (90KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
military profile pic.jpg
90KB, 512x512px
>>34342249
Its never happened to me. But my Russian friend who fought for Russia in the Russo-Ukranian war describes it like so: there is a constant ringing in your ears. Your mouth will always get dry, but you'll have a metallic taste. The heart begins pumping so fast that it feels like its going to fly out of your chest. You cannot hear the bullets until after they hit something, so that just makes it all the more scary. Assuming you survive the skirmish/firefight, you will - depending on who you are - want to kill the enemy even more - or - go home and never deal with this again.
>>
>>34342499

fucking dale
>>
>>34342643
The worst time I was ever under fire was from indirect. I was stationed at a tiny little outpost in the Afghan mountains. We almost never had ground convoys come out to use because the roads were heavy with IEDs and they were prime places for ambushes.

This convoy decides to absolutely muscle it's way through some roads to get to us, and even with CAA, they were just getting absolutely whacked with IEDs and spodadic ambushes. So they finally get to our COP, which is tiny as fuck and not really set up to have an entire convoy inside the wire. So all the vehicles are crammed inside, and we are dealing with mass amounts of wounded guys and damaged vehicles, and it's an absolute shitshow. And that time was when the insurgents decided to start hitting us with mortars, because we were so wall to wall packed in the COP that a mortar was going to land and hit *something* of value.

I was used to sustained and fairly accurate mortar fire (we had no CRAM, and helicopter support took almost an hour at best to get to us and the insurgents knew that), but this was sustained mortar fire at fish in a bucket. Worse was that all the guys were from a main FOB and were not at all used to being shelled without a CRAM to shield them, so they were at first over confident about IDF not being a threat, followed by them freaking out when it dawned on them there was no CRAM to save them.

Saw a dude get mortar frag to the neck and had to keep pressure on him and them lead a litter carry to a CASEVAC. Worst day by far getting shot at.

A lot of soldiers I've met totally laugh off indirect fire because they've only ever had sporadic one off's shot at them with shit accuracy or CRAM to knock it down. Sustained, accurate mortar fire is a bitch.
>>
File: pounded.gif (1MB, 486x273px) Image search: [Google]
pounded.gif
1MB, 486x273px
>>
>>34343968
Another story, going off of: >>34342643 talking about insurgents landing early shots was one time on a stop at a patrol, having a shot from across the valley land within a foot of guys, and then the second shot was a dead on hit on a guy's helmet. It turned out to be a 54r round that got stuck halfway in the helmet. Fortunately I can only suppose it was shot from so far away it lost enough velocity to not be an insta kill on the dude.
>>
File: 1478921980402.gif (3MB, 600x255px) Image search: [Google]
1478921980402.gif
3MB, 600x255px
Was some shit during it. Stayed focused through adren, had a strange lack of shakes. My head felt light and my legs felt heavier than a car. Never fucked up, followed protocol and returned fire.

Few minutes after it finished I threw up and had to grab my rifle really fucking tight to stop from flying off into space, or so it felt like.

Then the chatter came in that no one was seriously injured. Snapped back right then.

TL;DR Not a fun experience.
>>
File: death.png (2MB, 1474x510px) Image search: [Google]
death.png
2MB, 1474x510px
>>34343982
I will never stop finding that choked back laugh funny.
>>
>>34343997

Fuck, should include that a round hit directly beside my fucking head. We were engaged from multiple angles.
>>
>>34342959
it's only 7 episodes
>>
>>34343996
>>34343968
those for these real tales matey here's a (You)
>>
>>34342249
It's like being hyper focused. It wasn't scary- not because I'm a fearless dude, but just because fear is just like, not an emotional option. Fear 404s out. All my thinking became extremely utility focused and it was like thinking in an extremely detached, yet amped as fuck way.
>>
Neat!
>>
File: whip my hare.jpg (49KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
whip my hare.jpg
49KB, 800x600px
>>34342919
If they ID you, yes.

>Be RTO
>Walking back to COP from a KLE with a potential good guy militia leader
>His neighboring village doesn't like this.
>Get ambushed immediately after leaving friendly village
>Be in the dead middle of an intersection when they open up
>Dat snap-hiss tho
>get to cover, try to call up contact to higher on my ASIP.
>No dice.
>Realize that my antenna is dangling on a thread over my shoulder.
>Chuckle and tell the PL that his MBTR is gonna have to do the work.
>Be glorious disposable rifleman for the rest of the TIC.

Given the direction that the fire came from, the dude missed the base of my skull by a couple of inches, only to hit the antenna coming out of my backpack.
>>
>>34342835
I'd rather take some free time on the weekend than throw away 4 years of my life. I wouldn't be so critical if we would have been in a conflict worth fighting within my lifetime. Joining practically peacetime military is worthless unless you yearn to be a POG.
>>
>>34345423

no way skinning a rabbit like that works
>>
>>34345846
As it quite literally says, this is an instruction on dressing a rabbit. One could infer field dressing given the pucture. Dressing and skinning are two very different things man.
>>
>>34346094
i dont believe you
>>
>>34346271
Dressing is removing the guts.

You can remove rabbit guts with a good fling.

Believe it.
>>
File: 7790385.jpg (22KB, 456x628px) Image search: [Google]
7790385.jpg
22KB, 456x628px
Not that bad after the first 10 seconds.

before that its kind of like pic related.
>>
>>34342919
The taliban in helmand definitely knew who was who. They took notice of gear. They thought we were SOF or something because we were testing all new gear when we first arrived according to ICOM. Usually the THOR guys would get a lot of heat because they thought it was some kind of communications device.
>>
>>34346322
I feel like THOR guys would get even more heat when they figured out what they were.
>>
File: IMG_0080.jpg (195KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0080.jpg
195KB, 640x480px
>>34342931
This is actually kind of true.

>mortars (IDF)

Where I was at, this shit was more of a nuisance than any real threat. Although did have a shell landed around 50 meters away while at an IA COP.

Never got out of bed for any of them, they were more of a nuisance when we were on QRF and they'd have us go chase at the POO.

>RPG's

Honestly the scariest shit I've had fired directly at us, they usually did in volleys. They move a lot faster in real life than movies, and didn't help that our first KIA was a friend who was largely decapitated by an RPG puncturing his turret shield.

>various small arms

First time was terrifying since they were lobbing RPGs like crazy at us at the same time.

Following SAF was much easier to deal with, and you learn what shots to be concerned with, and others you shrug off. Admittedly we were rarely engaged with SAF directly, mostly preferred IEDs.

One thing I will add, is quote from Winston Churchill that fully believe to be true in light of my experience.

“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result"

Pic related is couple neighborhoods away from Old Town, W. Mosul, where last daesh rats are hiding
>>
>>34342249
Salty milk and coins.
>>
>>34342249
Terrifying adrenaline rush. Invincibility afterwards.
>>
File: COP Tampa, destroyed in 2007.jpg (977KB, 2832x2128px) Image search: [Google]
COP Tampa, destroyed in 2007.jpg
977KB, 2832x2128px
>>34346322
This was also my experience.

The worst months were the first three months after we took over the AOR, and the last three, when you are handing the AOR off (missed the last three months since I was wounded by IED eight months in).
>>
>>34346291
Twinkie house
>>
>>34342249
I'd give it a 3/10, pretty poopy but at least you're not dead at that point
>>
Ever played a game of tag? A lot like that except it sucks a lot more to be "it"
>>
>>34346522
>Mosul

That was my last tour.

Not much was going on.
>>
It might be the most selfish moment in your life the first time it happens.Training yourself to snap out of the turbo self preservation mode and considering those around you is where you will find courage.
>>
File: IMG_5977.jpg (74KB, 1024x548px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5977.jpg
74KB, 1024x548px
>>34342249
it's fantastic
>>
>>34342249
>dust cover still closed
wew sure would suck getting killed without discharging your weapon
>>
File: IMG_5978.jpg (27KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5978.jpg
27KB, 480x360px
>>34347405
you can do it now
>>
>>34342249
WHAT?
>>
In Homage to Catalonia Orwell wrote that when he was under fire his entire body felt like it was on pins and needles, and everything felt super sensitive since he was expecting to get hit at any moment but he couldn't anticipate where.
>>
File: Picture 335.jpg (918KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Picture 335.jpg
918KB, 2592x1944px
>>34347236
Curious, when were you there?

Did our tour in 06-07(06-08 for the rest of my guys).

Had a friend that was in W. Mosul same as me, around a year later. Said the city was largely passive compared to our experience.

Won't contribute that to us, as far as I saw, my command made it worse while I was in AOR.
>>
>>34342514

Any Sanchos confirmed?
>>
>>34348024
>when were you there?

Mosul in 08'-09.

Compared to Baqubah in 06'-07', it was fucking dead. My guess is that they were just waiting for us to leave.
>>
>>34346522

We're you in Mosel for OIF or OIR?
>>
File: IMG_163.jpg (70KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_163.jpg
70KB, 640x480px
>>34348304
Unit we relieved in AOR got thoroughly reamed AFAIK as they entered Baqubah, and remaining time there (5/20-INF). Not to knock 5/20, guys made me reenlist for Fort Lewis just working with them, and Strykers.

>>34348316
OIF, 06-07
>>
>>34342249
you get really calm and focus on moving to cover and returning fire
>>
>>34348724

The 5/20 got fed the same shit sandwich other units had to eat due to the incompetence of senior leadership and the lack of support from congress for the mission they tasked us all to do by sending us off to war. They basically had to clean up the mess created by senior leaders telling 4th ID to let the Iraqi's run shit in that city, which, of course, resulted in little more than Haj stockpiling arms and recruiting dipshits for the Jihad. By the time 5/20 showed up, the only areas that were even remotely secured were the MSR's, because that's about all we had the manpower to cover down on.
>>
>>34342249
kinda scary but then you get kind of detached and go about your orders regardless of it

You get hit or you don't, shoot back at the assumed direction of fire, until someone tells you to advance, fall back, or move around to get an angle.

ass end of Mountain Thrust canuck reporting
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.