[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Leaf beats the record for longest confirmed killshot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (93KB, 940x811px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93KB, 940x811px
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4628224/Canadian-sniper-kills-ISIS-fighter-TWO-MILES-away.html
>>
I was talking to my boss about this today. He claims it had to be luck, then made some analogy about golfers with hole in ones. Something about how it doesn't even happen to pros all that often. I was baffled at his comparison, because he brought it up after I said how much math it probably took, and how the sniper had to take into account for the curvature of the earth.

But was my boss right? I mean my boss is the kind of guy who always has to be right and everyone else is dumb. But also I have no idea if it really takes math or if it was a lucky shot.
>>
>>34336513
Even with perfect math and long range shooting skills, there is still a lot of luck involved at this range. Even the most accurate rifles still have a spread larger than a human torso at two miles and you cant predict the wind very well without flags at various distances
>>
>>34336091
>. But also I have no idea if it really takes math or if it was a lucky shot.

It took as much math as it did luck, vice versa.

A gust of wind a mile away could've turned a kill into a wounding shot, or a hit into a dent in the ground.

The hole in one analogy is actually a pretty good one. It takes tremendous skill, and a massive stroke of luck.

At that point you're really lobbing it in there and even the bullet/case loading has alot to do with these types of things.

you estimate calm-5mph for 3450meters. then a quick flap of a swallow carrying a coconut turns it into 7.65mph for a tenth second, there goes your "record.

This isnt "sniping" as much as it is lobbing bullets toward a position
>>
>>34336614
African or European swallow? And how big of a coconut
>>
>>34336513
Your boss was mostly correct.

Even with the highest-BC bullet they have access to (the 750gr A-max), it had dropped transonic almost a thousand meters before it hit. This TOTALLY FUCKS accuracy.

There is absolutely no way to tell wind conditions between the shooter and the target, it's flat-out guessing.

Yes, the shooter had to do ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING PERFECTLY in order to be even remotely close. But it also involved a fuckton of luck.
>>
File: 1498134827209.png (227KB, 500x326px) Image search: [Google]
1498134827209.png
227KB, 500x326px
>people still don't know what harassing fire is
>>
>>34336663
>>34336614
>>34336552
>>34336513
You do realize in real life snipers shoot a lot more than one shot.

Especially if they are in a secured position way out of range of hostile small arms fire. Which these two were as they fired from an elevated position of a building their team presumably controlled.

Firing like 10 or so shots to nail a dude from that far isnt bad at all.
>>
Wait if the Canadian SF are operating in the area, who else is?
>>
Automatic weapons have recorded longer kills regularly since 1916
>>
>>34336513
>curvature of the earth.
No. Stop this meme right now. You mean the Coriolis Effect. The curvature of the earth does not come into play with a 3.5km shot.
>>
>>34336715
Man, I am nogunz. I have no fucking clue what any of this means except for what articles are telling me.
>>
>>34336696
Lets see your 2 mile shooting then, deadshot. At that distance, the spread of even a .5 moa bench rifle could easily miss a human torso due to random error on an otherwise perfect shot.
>>
I'm more impressed about the marine sniper who shot eight Iraqi soldiers darting across a alley 700m away. I would love to know how many shots he actually took to get a hit with that TAC 50. The news reports I have read said he took only one, in which case he must of used witchcraft to make that shot.
>>
>>34336845
>implying canuck SO groups aren't always using maple witchcraft to appear and disappear, ensuring opsec
get with the times
>>
>>34336845
Fucking syrups are sneakier than gypsies.
>>
>>34336513
combo of very skillful shooting and very lucky conditions... not just on the part of the shooter but the spotter as well I think.

>>34336845
one that stands out for me is the somali pirate one where the seals took out the pirates from the deck of a carrier. I was very impressed by that.

>>34336867
>>34336927
we just don't cowboy into situations I think. Plan and practice, think things through first, focus on the task at hand.
>>
>>34336830
Which is why they shoot multiple shots and adjust accordingly.

My point is that theres alot more effort and calculations that can be done to assist. As well as just taking as many shots as necessary to nail a hit.

Just saying its possible is all.
>>
>>34337120
>we just don't cowboy into situations

Saskatchewan begs to differ pardner.
>>
>>34337182
I don't give a fuck how many shots it is. You can't reliably"walk in," a shot at 2 FUCKING MILES.

To put it into perspective, most WWI infantry rifles have a 2,000 meter indirect fire sight for hopes of volleying into line infantry or parade marches. This is 1.5 TIMES that at an individual target.
>>
>>34337482
>I don't give a fuck how many shots it is. You can't reliably"walk in," a shot at 2 FUCKING MILES.
Except thats how they did it.

Why are you so bitchy?

Do you honestly think this Canuck nailed it on their first shot?

No seriously, tell me what happened then.
>>
>>34337671
We won't know exactly what happened currently because of operational security. Yes there were probably multiple shots, but a shot like this was literally Allah guiding the bullet, bless his name.
>>
>>34336513
His comparison to hole in ones is actually pretty accurate
Yeah its a "lucky" event even for pros
But even having the chance requires a ton of skill
I could swing a club at a ball a million times and never get a hole in one. I've golfed literally once in my life, so I'd be happy to just send it in roughly the right direction.
It might still be an uncommon event for a pro, but that doesn't mean they aren't significantly better able and more likely to manage it as a result of their skills.
>>
File: reddit.jpg (13KB, 500x309px) Image search: [Google]
reddit.jpg
13KB, 500x309px
>>34337671
>>34337766
Someone on Reddit said the first shot hit the guys backpack, no idea if it's true or not.
>>
>>34337800
That was from the other canuck slingshot. The Furlong one.
>>
>>34337800
Fuck. Off.
>>
>>34337182
reddit spacing
>>
>>34337844
Not even him, but I've double spaced on /b/ before it turned to shit more than a decade ago you meming newfag.

That being said, these days, it's usually committed by mobilefags.
>>
File: 1487912228708.jpg (34KB, 567x565px) Image search: [Google]
1487912228708.jpg
34KB, 567x565px
>>34337844
>>
So how much math do modern snipers do in their head and how much is done for them via electronics nowadays anyway? Always been curious.
>>
>>34337246
Oi what's this about my little province?
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.