[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the Ruger LCP II safe to carry?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7

File: 7C.-LCP-II.jpg (430KB, 1200x847px) Image search: [Google]
7C.-LCP-II.jpg
430KB, 1200x847px
I ordered a Ruger LCP II a few nights ago.
I decided to consult the manual to figure out how to field strip it so I could inspect it at the FFL.

There were some disconcerting things In the manual. First I ran into this.

"If dropped or struck, the pistol may fire.
For maximum safety when carrying the pistol with a loaded magazine in place, the chamber should be empty"

Now this by itself would just be another example of Ruger being Ruger. "HURR NEVER PICK UP A GUN OR PULL THE TRIGGER EVER IT'S DANGEROUS!" type shit.

However once i looked at an exploded view of the gun I noticed that a few disconcerting things
-It's a single action pistol with a 5.5lb trigger
-there is no transfer bar
-there is no firing pin block
-there is no manual safety

There is literally nothing to make sure it doesn't fire when dropped on the ground. Even if one were to follow Rugers faggy rules, and then be ordered by the police to drop their weapon in the confusion, they need a drop safe pistol.

I read on a forum that someone called Ruger customer service about this and they basically said "yeah don't carry with one in the chamber" which is fucking stupid. It completely defeats the purpose of a pocket carry gun if you can't carry it with one in the chamber.

I'm thinking of refusing it when I get to the FFL, paying the shitty cancellation fee and all that garbage, and getting an LCP 1st gen which at least has a DAO trigger, and dealing with all of it's shittiness. Or just saying fuck it, carrying my Glock 19 and dressing like a fat cholo all summer as a result (it gets windy as fuck where I live)

I really hope someone tells me I'm wrong here though. Is there some sort of drop safety mechanism that I'm missing? I find it hard to believe that Ruger, the biggest safety sally company, in 2017 would market a non drop safe pistol as a pocket carry gun. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen. I also really liked the pistol when I checked it out in a gun shop. It felt great.
>>
>>34335989
Ever thought the lawyers wrote it to protect ruger from nds?
>>
>>34335989
The firing pin has a spring to prevent the FP from just striking a primer in a fall, the hammer is shrouded by the slide so it cannot be forced down on the FP, and the long DA trigger all this combined I really do not think it needs a striker block but if you are not comfortable carrying it without a striker block look at the G42 or Bodyguard

From a blog I frequent. I don't think it's anything to consider, it'd take a hellacious drop to light off that gun.
>>
>>34336044
I don't think the LCP II is Double Action. I think it's single action. That's what makes it kind of disconcerting.

>G42

Nah. I love my Glock 19 but I don't want to spend 500 more dollars on another gun that I need to sink 100 more dollars into just to make it feel right to me. I think I'd go with a Kahr.
>>
>>34336114
It's a fucking long single action, not at all a soft shooting gun
>>
>>34336258
The trigger pull itself is not as much what I'm worried about as the fact that I'm walking around with a cocked hammer with no transfer bar or firing pin block.

Now I'm thinking of getting a kydex holster for it, which kind of defeats the purpose of what I bought it for.
>>
>>34336329
It won't go off, I jog with mine constantly and it hasn't gone off you'll be fine
>>
>>34336329
1911 guys actually prefer the lack of a transfer bar or firing pin block, but they do have a manual safety. The 1911 is also technically not drop safe, but you'd need to get it to land with the muzzle pointing straight down to actually fire a round. The LCP II has the trigger blade instead.
>>
It's drop safe. Every pistol since the 80's has been with the exception of Taurus, Jimenez, and the new Walther CCP and Remingtons. Ruger has an overzealous legal department that puts warnings on everything.

Use a holster, actually check the chamber before disassembling like every other pistol on the planet and you'll be fine.
>>
File: 1493594078481.jpg (63KB, 500x751px) Image search: [Google]
1493594078481.jpg
63KB, 500x751px
I Carried an LCP in a pocket holster for 2 years in a fire ready state. Never had issues and I carry at work doing construction. If that helps at all.
>>
>>34336329
I dropped mine unloaded on a wood floor in my house the other day from about 3 feet and the hammer remained in place, Gen 1. There are at least two catches on the hammer where it should fall short of hitting if the trigger isn't pulled completely.
>>
>>34335989
Look at how it has a bladed trigger. Just keep the trigger covered and you're good to go.

We're you not planning on getting some type of holster? You can get kydex wraps that have a sort of hook on them so when you draw from your pocket the holster gets left behind. They also make nano holsters that only cover the trigger guard and have a string you tie to your pants so it comes away from the pistol when you draw.

If you're worried about all this and we're planning on carrying without a holster you're fucking retarded.
>>
>>34338082
I'll probably buy a kydex pocket holster, but I'll use the one that comes with it for a little bit.
>>
>>34336114
What? Why wouldn't you want what is essentially a scaled down G19? What do you have to spend $100 on?

I picked the G42 over and LCP/LCP2 for many reasons... it's a better gun in every way.
>>
It's probably safe but I wouldn't want to fucking carry it.

The newest fad is faggot gun owners thinking that machines, themselves and parts are infallible. It's why the market is flooded with lightweight triggered fully cocked striker carry guns.
>>
>>34340634
so do you feel the same about glocks?
>>
>>34340673
Glocks are double action.
>>
>>34340673
Not as much so. They have a partially cocked striker with a fairly reasonable trigger. I still feel like it's rather light but it has some travel.
>>
File: toofat4iwb.jpg (168KB, 2048x1221px) Image search: [Google]
toofat4iwb.jpg
168KB, 2048x1221px
>>34335989
I had the same concerns you had. Sooo I did a little experiment, I dropped the gun 5 times on each side from waist height on to an area rug (fuck dropping it and scuffing it up). The gun was obviously unloaded but was cocked. Out of the 20 drops I did, it never was uncocked and didn't "fire". Not sure if that proves anything, bit it made me feel better for carrying one on the pipe.
>>
The real biggest reason an LCP is a bad idea is its shitty trigger. There is literally no way to shoot it accurately because its shape, combined with a heavy and very long trigger pull completely overcome any attempt at accuracy.

I'm an LCP hater, but not for the reasons you mention. I hate it because Ruger sold a gun that is functionally worthless and refuses to acknowledge that fact and replace the trigger.
>>
>>34340702
>Heavy and very long

You have no idea which lcp this thread is about clearly.
>>
>>34340702
If I were a Ruger exec, I'd recall and replace every LCP trigger for free, for any owner, even if not the original. A Hi Point style warranty for the gun they royally fucked up on. Anything less just continues to soil the goodwill and Ruger name they've created for years with their revolver line.
>>
>>34340705
Right. Its about the LCP2, which one must wonder why Ruger released with its "look at me" red skeletonized trigger, to counter the huge customer complaint pool they refused to fix and continue to pretend there's nothing wrong with the original LCP.

I refuse to let Ruger get away with that on my dime, but they won't lose much on my purchase of a few guns in my lifetime, so I don't matter.
>>
>>34340730
>Red skeletonized trigger
No that's the lcp custom....
>>
File: IMG_8618.jpg (646KB, 1200x746px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8618.jpg
646KB, 1200x746px
>>34340741
Ditto, red trigger = lcp custom. The lcp 2 is the one with the tacticool angular serrations on the grip - pic related.

Good thread by the way, very relevant to me, and lotta points + anecdotal evidence around.
>>
>>34340702
I'm talking about the LCP 2. It has a nice trigger.

>>34340693
Well the trigger pull weight is the exact same as a glock
>>
File: IMG_0937.jpg (72KB, 828x724px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0937.jpg
72KB, 828x724px
The reason I think the G42 is far superior is it's size...yes, everyone bitched about how "big" it is, but I think it's the perfect size for a .380. The LCP/P3AT are just too small for the cartridge. The original design, the keltec P32 used a cartridge that was appropriate for a gun that is so small (.32).

The LCP2 helps to remedy the issue, but I feel it's just a squishy middle ground between the og LCP and the G42. The LCP had issues with cracking frames near the roll pin...the gun just wasn't designed to be shot extensively. The G42 on the other hand can handle thousands of rounds and furthermore, it's actually fun to shoot. After 50 rounds, the LCP gets old, it's snappy as hell.

There are currently only two exceptional .380s on the market that get just about everything right - Glock 42 and the Sig P238. All the other choices at too small or too large/heavy. The LCP2 needs another year of beta testing before it's ready for prime time anyhow.
>>
>>34341083
Yeah but I'm not buying this gun to shoot thousands of rounds through. I'm buying it to carry to the gym and places where my Glock 19 won't fit.
>>
>>34341117
But don't you want the most capable choice in such a scenario? I liked my LCR, but because practicing was such a chore, I never felt extremely confident in my abilities with it.

Now I've got a piece that carries every bit as good as the snub,but one that is also fun to practice with, which as we all know translates to a higher skill level.

To each their own, but it's great having a small gun which inspires confidence. Since you're a Glock guy it seems like a no brainer.
>>
>>34335989
you have to pull the trigger back to strike the firing pin, the firing pin is spring loaded according to: >>34336044

my opinion is thusly it is absolutely safe if you are comfortable with it being essentially a Glock with no safety
>>
File: s683809880824851470_p60_i2_w2048.jpg (387KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
s683809880824851470_p60_i2_w2048.jpg
387KB, 2048x1152px
>>34336329
I use a boraii for pocket carry
>>
>>34335989
No, get an LCR
>>
>>34341833
Sounds cool. Was
Going to get a belly band but now I think I'm just going to do that and wear cargo shorts to the gym.
>>
>>34341857
Thinking of getting the LCR as my first gun/CC. I live in chicago so im not gonna carry anything bigger. Which caliber do you have it in?
>>
>>34342000
If you really want a snub, stick to revolver rounds. That being said, if you can afford the costs, the .327 fed mag has decent ballistics and an extra round. If not, just get the .38 version. However, you must understand that a snub is very difficult to shoot accurately. Make sure you rent one before you buy.
>>
>>34341978
I purchased a Comfort tac belly band recently and I'll tell you now that I'm not going back to pocket carry. I highly recommend it. A bit pricey but much better than cheaper options.
>>
>>34342000
Right now, I'd get a m & p shield. They are cheap af right now after the smith & wesson rebate and a much better gun than the LCR.
>>
>>34342053
I was thinking, since I'd be deep carrying it, that throwing boot grips on the LCR would make it super small (smaller than a Shield). Would the difference be that much? There is no range anywhere near chicago, so I just want to be sure I know as much as possible before I go to a range
>>
>>34335989
This is exactly why I got an LCP Custom instead of the LCP 2.
>>
>>34342030
Shooting a snub accurately isn't that hard with the right ammo.
>>
>>34342030
>However, you must understand that a snub is very difficult to shoot accurately.

The only reason they have this reputation is because they are disproportionately popular for personal protection among women and other demographics that typically do not buy or practice with their weapons. The techniques to shoot a snub competently are exactly the same as those for any other pistol, and there are other types of pistols that are legitimately harder to use than a decent snub. Most DAO-only automatics (HK LEM is the one exception to this I have found) have inherently worse grips and have triggers that are equally as heavy but feel worse.
>>
>tfw a NIB updated gen 1 LCP goes for $600 in your state

Oh well; it's my favorite non-sentimental gun.
>>
>>34340953
Like I said. Glock is also partially cocked. Weight isnt the only factor here.
>>
>>34335989
Its fine. Just carry it. Chambered.
>>
>>34335989
>>34336329
The LCP/LCPII doesn't have a firing pin block, but the firing pin is made of lightweight titanium and the firing pin spring is pretty taut, so it would take being dropped from a very high distance right on its muzzle in order to have an AD from the inertia of the firing pin alone. I wouldn't worry about the hammer breaking the sear. The internal parts are very robust, and there's no way the sear could break from dropping the gun from normal human heights.
>>
>>34335989
I run with mine a lot, just keep it secured in a holster and you'll be okay.
>>
OP here. I just picked it up. Thing is fucking gorgeous in person man. Pictures don't do it justice. The ergos on this thing are excellent for a pocket pistol. I still do think the trigger is a bit light for a defensive pistol. I wish they found a bit of a middle ground between the LCP 1 and this. I hope there is an aftermarket for a NY1 style trigger spring for it (I have that in my glock and I actually shoot better with it anyway)

I gave it a quick field strip + cleaning and ran some dummy rounds through it and it functions great. Can't wait to shoot it tommorow. Definitely going to get a kydex holster for this thing but I think I'm going to keep it. I really like how it feels. in fact I'm carrying it right now and I totally forgot about it.
>>
File: IMG_0359.jpg (3MB, 3061x2295px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0359.jpg
3MB, 3061x2295px
>>34346037
forgot pic
>>
>>34341083
>The LCP2 helps to remedy the issue, but I feel it's just a squishy middle ground between the og LCP and the G42.
>There are currently only two exceptional .380s on the market that get just about everything right - Glock 42 and the Sig P238. All the other choices at too small or too large/heavy. The LCP2 needs another year of beta testing before it's ready for prime time anyhow.

I tend to agree that the LCPII occupies a weird middle ground now that they made the grip wider (and I feel like they made the gun a bit taller too). If I compare the LCPII with my P938, there isn't a HUGE difference in size. The niche for the LCP and LCPII, however - the place it still shines where no other gun shines quite as well - lies in the gun's extreme light weight. My LCPII is a bit heavier than the original, but it's still only 10.5 ounces unloaded. The Glock 42 is more than 3 ounces heavier, and those three ounces can make all the difference if you're carrying in shorts without a belt.
>>
>>34342075
>>This is exactly why I got an LCP Custom instead of the LCP 2.

Then you're fucking retarded. None of the LCP models have a firing pin block.
>>
>>34346037
>>34346057
Enjoy it, man!

BTW- cycling dummy rounds through a semi-auto tells you absolutely nothing if it will work reliably, but I've never had a problem with a Ruger semi-auto jamming. They make good guns.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.