[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm new to clay shooting. What shells do you guys recommend?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: 00001c-shotgun-shell.jpg (21KB, 315x218px) Image search: [Google]
00001c-shotgun-shell.jpg
21KB, 315x218px
So I'm new to clay shooting. What shells do you guys recommend? I like sporting clays but I also want to do trap and skeet. I've had friends tell me to use 7 1/2 for everything, other friends have told me to do 7 1/2 for trap and #8 for skeet and sporting clays.
>>
>>34334812
If you're just starting out, get birds shot or the boxes that literally say target loads on them, in whatever Guage you have.
>>
>>34334812
You wont be able to tell a difference between the two if you're just starting out
>>
I use 7 1/2 for almost everything. Most officially scored trap shooting clubs don't allow anything over 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2 shot. I recommend using an improved cylinder choke for both trap and skeet.
>>
>>34334812
Just use 7 1/2 for everything
And what >>34335008 said
Improved cylinder is bae
>>
File: browningcynergy.jpg (49KB, 1274x1274px) Image search: [Google]
browningcynergy.jpg
49KB, 1274x1274px
>>34334812
if you don't care about spending a little more I like the #9 AAs for skeet, no science i just like the smaller shot i feel like spreads more evenly and makes a longer shot string

trap isnt really my thing but i like 7 1/2 i think it carries a little further and i like being able to wait for the clay to stabilize and get a good lead on it

also if you reload you can reload the AAs although lead prices are kinda high cus there are no more lead factories in the U.S. anymore so it might not be worth it unless your casting your own shot
>>
So what's with fudds claiming that you need a O/U for trap?
>>
>>34335243
Over under, side by side, or semi auto are the only types of shotguns that can be used for both trap and skeet with a remote chance of hitting both clays. I have yet to see anyone hit both birds in skeet with a pump or bolt action.
>>
>>34335281
I shoot skeet with a Maverick 88 and hit both. It's not that hard if you practice
>>
>>34335243
they are fudds what do you expect
you could do well with most any shotgun at skeet or trap, but you might want chokes for sporting clays, and i like an O/U for sporting clays cus sometimes theres a near, far pair. you can try to make up for that by waiting till its at the optimal distance for your choke but if its a true pair it could be more difficult
>>
File: image.gif (315KB, 500x275px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
315KB, 500x275px
>>34334812
MFW I will never go skeet shooting with frag 12 rounds.
>>
The ones that are twenty bucks for a hundred shells at wally world
>>
>>34334812
I shoot 7.5s for trap, I don't shoot much skeet. Try to get 1 oz loads for the 12 gauge
>>
>>34334812
The cheapest that you can get
>>
medium threadjack here: looking for a new trap and skeet gun (O/U or autoloader) don't want to break the bank but I want something decent. What do you all recomend?
>>
>>34334812
#8's are the most common target load and will serve you just fine for trap, skeet, sporting clays, and 5-stand for years to come. However the difference between #7.5's and #8's is so ridiculously small it literally won't matter.

Only once you start moving back to the 24-26 yard lines in trap will you start noticing you'll occasionally blow dust off a bird and not break it with 8's.

As to specific brands of shells, when you're just starting out buy whatever's cheapest as they will all work well enough. However, by the time you've gotten good you may want to start looking at Gun Clubs
>inb4 remshit
They have lower recoil than your bulkpack birdshot due to being a compression formed hull and using less powder, they pattern tightly and consistently (only really important for longer-range trap and sporting clays), and are reloadable if that's something you want to get in to. They're also almost as cheap as your bulkpack birdshot, can be had frequently for $5.50 a box and occasionally for under $5 a box.
>>
>>34336344
What's your idea of "don't break the bank"?

CZ makes an excellent clays-oriented O/U shotgun for around $1000, and a fairly decent field O/U for around $800. They're the only sub-$1500-new O/U worth even thinking about if you're going to be shooting it more than about 2,000 rounds per year. Otherwise I recommend you knuckle down for a used Beretta or Browning O/U if you want an O/U.

Good semi's are a lot cheaper. Dick's currently has their 11-87's on clearance for under $500 and the used market is pretty well saturated with 1100's, 11-87's, Beretta A300's, and Browning Silvers. Basically avoid Stoeger and any Turkish semi's and you'll have a solid gun (there are some Turk semi's that are decent, but this requires rather extensive research as most of them are reliable for the first few thousand rounds then start breaking parts, and most customer reviews are on either unfired or >500 round count guns).
>>
>>34336437
I was thinking as much wrt O/Us vs Autoloaders. The O/U I'd want is a browning citori, but thats too rich for my blood. I'll look into either the 1100 or the Beretta.
>>
>>34336689
Yeah I hear that about the Clitoris. I have a 725 Sporting that's my clays gun, expensive but worth it to me.
>>
>>34334812
that's fine. What you'll notice more is the choke you're using. Barrel length, weight, and action are important as you progress.

>>34336344
http://www.tristararms.com/products/over-under/sporting/
>>
For sporting clays, you dont really want TOO much spread, as the wider pattern will leave the clay intact too often.

High power, high velocity tend to blow apart your spread a bit much as well.

I shoot #8 7/8oz doing under 1200fps for state competition.

The federal flitecontrol wad is a miracle. When I'm on, the clays break. I never have to worry about a "rabbit" not busting (they use harder clays for "rabbit" sometime because they can withstand bouncing along the ground and off of rocks better.

Fuck trap, fuck skeet. If you're pressed for time, maybe do 5-stand and I still suggest #8 but in 1 oz and alot more velocity, like up to 1350.
>>
>>34338487
>For sporting clays, you dont really want TOO much spread, as the wider pattern will leave the clay intact too often.

I do fine with a Full choke auto 5. Everybody says I need a IC or skeet choke to have a chance at a tournament,but Idgaf about winning a trophy or some shit, it's all in fun.
>>
File: -1975437436863479551_1.jpg (130KB, 1000x746px) Image search: [Google]
-1975437436863479551_1.jpg
130KB, 1000x746px
>>34334812
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.