[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First Purchase Input

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 9

File: beretta92s.jpg (9KB, 300x203px) Image search: [Google]
beretta92s.jpg
9KB, 300x203px
Hi /k/,

Please steer me in any direction you think best.

I am considering buying my first gun this summer and need some input. My budget hovers right around $300. I was thinking I should buy a surplus Beretta 92s. I fired a 92fs years ago and liked it, whereas I have never fired a striker-fired pistol. Is it worth saving another $200 for a new Glock 19 if I'm just looking for a gun to leave around the house and shoot occasionally with my gun-shy live-in girlfriend? I know that Shields are like 250 right now but I liked the 92fs I fired in the past. Anyone have experience with the 92s? Should I get it from Buds/JG/SOhio/Gunbroker? I've been lurking a long time but am surprisingly nervous when it comes time to shop.
>>
File: 9c7.jpg (1MB, 2560x1608px) Image search: [Google]
9c7.jpg
1MB, 2560x1608px
>>34332935
I don't have it, but there's a little comic about coming here, and asking "What gun should I buy, /k/?"
>>
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/659309599
>>
>>34332935
I like mine. The sights are hilariously bad though. The mag release also takes some getting used to. Other than that, it's a'ight. I got mine from JG when they were $250. Bought it locally, so no shipping or FFL transfer fees.
>>
File: funkotron.jpg (74KB, 530x350px) Image search: [Google]
funkotron.jpg
74KB, 530x350px
>>34333048
Would you consider $300 a decent price for one, or would you spend that money differently?
>>
>>34333048
>I like mine.
me too. same here.
>The sights are hilariously bad though.
Can confirm. they're just "ok" in broad daylight and if your eyes are good. would hate to have to rely on them in low light conditions
>The mag release also takes some getting used to.
Just a little for me. but i find it to be no big deal
>>
>>34333112
Depends what your local gun store charges for a transfer fee. The thing is, the difference between $250 and $300 is pretty significant. You can get a surplus 92F or 92FS for like $320ish off gunbroker (CDI Sales).
>>
File: Snapchat-1845268023.jpg (879KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1845268023.jpg
879KB, 1440x2560px
>>34332935

I'm impressed by your solid choices despite being a noguns. I've shot my friends 92 many times and in my experience it's been a very accurate, reliable, easy to handle gun but it wouldn't be ideal for CC. I don't know the conditions of the surplus gun but if it's labeled "good" it'll probably be reliable just with cosmetic wear. If there are any issues, it's a popular gun, there will be parts for it and plenty of information and pictures on how to diagnose and change out any trouble pieces.

If there are any issues, it will most likely be the magazine (why my 50 year old BHP would occasionally FTF) and next the guide spring both cost less than $50, much less I think. Don't buy promags, buy mec-gear or factory for the most part for reliable mags.

As for the glock 19, you can CC it, plenty of cheap parts to customize to your needs (very cheap factory mags) and an all around great gun. There's plenty of other options but you can't go wrong what you're considering.

Also, don't buy Taurus anything.
>>
File: firearm personalities.jpg (748KB, 2840x1790px) Image search: [Google]
firearm personalities.jpg
748KB, 2840x1790px
>>34332935
Its not a bad deal. But if it's going to be your one and only pistol, i would save up a few more dollars and get something with at least better sights.
>>
>>34333112

Also, yeah it is a good price right now and I'd get one if I didn't already have my hammer fired pistol niche filled. Find an NFL that does transfers for ~25$ shipping is normally 30$.

Have at least 2 mags (3+ is ideal), a good one for self defense rounds that hopefully never gets used, the other for cheap fun rounds.
>>
File: 31835-DEFAULT-l.jpg (260KB, 1350x900px) Image search: [Google]
31835-DEFAULT-l.jpg
260KB, 1350x900px
>>34332935
not OP, but any thoughts on this for my next purchase? Torn between this or a cheap AK. Already own a CZ75, Bersa, a .22 rifle, a Remington 870, and a homebuilt AR.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/172711/p226r40dasag/sig-sauer-p226-40sw-dasa-police-trade-ins-(good)
>>
>>34332935
bought one at PSA's black friday sale a few years back. sights arent the best and barrel was pretty worn but it shoots just fine. just make sure when you're buying mags that it has the lower notch cut if its marked 92fs (some do, some dont)

p85 or 5906 might be others to look at that which fit that price
>>
>>34332935
Buds Gun shop had MP .40 police trade ins for right around that price. That's what I'd go for for the price range or the Shield if you don't mind subcompact. Just know that those older Berettas weren't made for +p loads, so you're not exactly handicapped just slightly limited on ammo choices
>>
I see a 6906 on GunBroker for 280 and no mag. There's also a store on Armslist near me with a p85 and 3 mags for 300. I guess it comes down to small differences from here.
>>
>>34333730
Well if you walk into a store, no shipping/ffl which is always more expensive than tax.
>>
Are there still frame safety Berettas around?
>>
>>34332935
Buying a milsurp as a first gun is pretty dumb is you actually plan on using it to defend yourself. There are plenty of new guns that you can get for around $300 that will serve you much better than some milsurp that could be of questionable quality. Canik, S&W, various CZ clones, and Ruger should all have decent options for you. However I wouldn't skimp out on the value of your life, get an HK USP, its worth it.
>>
>>34332935
Friend of mine got one from SOhio last year. He paid extra for the excellent condition and was very disappointed with the finish. Gun shoots great, just worn.

As for mags, if your handy, you can make the cut yourself if they don't already have a notch.
>>
>>34332935
I've handled both.

The 92s is a good pistol. If that is what you want, go for it. A couple points of note about the 92s:
>heel type mag release. Trainable
>smooth back strap
>smooth front strap
>blued, finish will vary on surplus but should be generally GOOD
>left side controls only, non ambi in any way
>will take any standard 92 series mag as long as it has the cutout in the rear, bottom portion of the mag
>>
File: IMG_0024.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0024.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>34337620
To be more precise, I own an M9 and have handled and shot several 92s pistols and 92fs pistols.
>>
File: FEG.jpg (66KB, 640x378px) Image search: [Google]
FEG.jpg
66KB, 640x378px
I have one OPie, I like it alot and everyone who shoots it also likes it. The grips are thicc, but you can dremel down the parts where your thumb/index finger rest and it's much more comfortable. I painted my dremeled grips OD green and it looks good and is comfy. The sights do suck though. If you're not scared of surplus another decent and cheap option is a FEG Hi Power clone, apparently they are pretty close to the same thing as a real HP, just stupid cheap because the are surplus from Shekelstan.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/659357288
>>
>>34332995
Why no love for the P320?
>>
92s are pretty good, but I'd look at the cz99. a cheap sig 226 clone that's actually pretty good. I'd also say it depends if you're trying to carry. If you just want a gun to shoot, it's better to start on a full size platform, much more forgiving and fun
>>34341182
because the chart is older than the p320 you fucking new fag
>>
>>34332935
Get a high point and save money
>>
>>34333131
Fwiw Beretta 92Ds can be found dirt cheap all day long, often with dead tritium that's still better than normal sights, plus it takes all the same parts as a 92fs besides the levers. You can swap out a SA or DA/SA hammer and sear set in an hour
>>
>>34333198
https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/99978/p226used/sig-sauer-p226-9mm-police-trade-in-pistols here it is 9mm, 40 s&w a shit
>>
>>34333164
nice tok with the import safety removed
>>
File: daewoo.jpg (72KB, 607x425px) Image search: [Google]
daewoo.jpg
72KB, 607x425px
>>34332935
Do you want a full-size 9mm or are you looking for something to carry? A 92s is a solid choice, and a good nightstand gun. Kind of a bitch if you wanted to CC.
You can grab a Stoeger Cougar for around $280 if you look around, it's a Turkish clone of the Beretta 8000. Still a decent gun, and a little smaller if you ever want to CC.

Also consider a 'Woo DP51, or the S&W steel frame series. A Ruger p85 can be had for like $200, and is vastly improved with some Hogue grips.
>>
>>34341307
I was thinking full-size because I don't plan on carrying really. I might end up buying this, though, because I like the way it looks a lot: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/655707224

It would cost like 330 after transfer and 1 magazine though.

There's a p85 for sale on Armslist the next city over for 300 with 3 mags.
>>
>>34342073
Oops someone bought it damn
>>
>>34333198
>cheap AK
Have you tried 2007?
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.