[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gun fear and self defense

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: leash.jpg (83KB, 1080x607px) Image search: [Google]
leash.jpg
83KB, 1080x607px
Hey /k/. I'm a strong supporter of 2nd amendment rights, but I don't think I could ever bring myself to owning a gun. This is due to me finding my step-father after he committed suicide by shooting himself behind the temple. It kind of fucked me up and perhaps gave me some irrational firearm anxiety. Makes me feel like a bit of a pussy. I could handle guns just fine before that, but I can't bring myself to touch one now.

That all said, I still want to carry something I can use for self defense if the situation calls for it.

I currently carry a doubled up dog leash in my coat pocket, pic related. I figure it's as concealable as a knife, but it has a greater range (in case they have a knife). Also, I'd rather beat an assailant to a bloody pulp than stab and potentially kill one. This is for both legal and moral reasons. Obviously this won't help me against anyone with a firearm, but I figure it's better than nothing.

I guess I could get a taser. I used to carry pepper-spray, but I gave the can to my girlfriend, figuring she might need it more if I'm not around.

Alternatively, I was considering "gun therapy", if such a thing exists, to break my fear of firearms.

What are your thoughts on any and all of this? Just looking for general advice, stories, and maybe some additional perspective.
>>
Better hope they don't step inside your swing OP
>>
>>34332034
This lol. If he's hitting someone with a dog leash he's already fucked, but if they get inside the swing then he's really fucked.
>>
>>34332016
Sad story, OP. Guns are the only real choice for self defense though imo. Try to get used to them again. Good luck.
>>
Get over yourself and get a gun.
>>
>>34332016
>That all said, I still want to carry something I can use for self defense if the situation calls for it.

Get over it and buy a gun, desu senpai.
>>
>>34332016
So if he used a rope, would you be fearful of tying knots?

If he sucked in a tailpipe, would you fear driving?

This is fake as fuck
>>
File: 1497926632921.jpg (97KB, 723x960px)
1497926632921.jpg
97KB, 723x960px
If you're not going to get a gun, a knoife is probably your best bet choina.
That being said, you need to realize that a gun is a neutral tool and an extension of the handlers body and will.
>>
>>34332118
People are irrational, even OP admits it
>>
I'm not a therapist, but I play one on the internet. I would just say a couple things in response. First, nobody should feel compelled to own a gun if they're not comfortable around them. And in fact, simply running away is offen the most effective defense there is--that, and situational awareness. Don't walk into trouble in the first place. Head on a swivel.

So that said, you have an understandably negative association to guns. I would point out that a gun is just an inanimate object. It's neither good nor bad, it doesn't hold any sway or power over people. What happened to your step father was unfortunate, but it was a result of a decision that he made, no matter incomprehensible those reasons may be to others.

I think if you're going to own a firearm, you need to demystify them in your mind. Realize they're just metal and polymer and wood and will just sit whereever they're placed until disturbed.

One thing I've done when I've taught people to shoot who were nervous was have them field strip and put back together one of my handguns repeatedly until they could do it without guidance. It helps reinforce the idea that a gun is nothing more than a collection of parts. Is there any way you could do that? Hang out with a friend for an afternoon of cleaning his gun collection?
>>
File: IMG_0760.jpg (87KB, 725x690px)
IMG_0760.jpg
87KB, 725x690px
Where do you live OP? Go to a /k/ recommended training class or have a fellow board member show you the ropes.

Guns are just like vehicles - both are inherently dangerous. However, if you are attentive, the dangers are very low. Freedom is dangerous, the responsibility is yours for the taking.
>>
>>34332137
What pistol is that?
>>
>>34332295
Looks like a customized glock to me, but I really know little to nothing about plastic fantastics
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.