[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Canadian Sniper 3.5km kill. ?Bullshit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: Screenshot_20170622-164045.png (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170622-164045.png
2MB, 1440x2560px
Hey lads,

Need the experts to unleased weaponised autism on a conundrum to settle an argument. Pic below shows an article of a Canacuck claiming a 3.5km kill. I would of thought the bullet would be non-lethal at that range. Can someone prove with math that it is actually possible or impossible?

Cheers
>>
>>34330132
>Effective firing range 3,750 m (4,100 yd)
>McMillan took the world's longest sniper shot record with a 3,450 m (3,772 yd/ 2.14 mi) confirmed kill.
>>
>>34330132
Stop making new fucking threads about this and read the sticky. This is how good threads die.
>>
>bullet get shoot
>fly long way
>hit sandnigger
>sandnigger ded
Science checks out to me OP
>>
What is the situation that leads to taking these shots?
>lol that's way out of range man but sure go for it for giggles, maybe it spooks someone
>>
>>34330132
If he used M2 ball, which I doubt he did, here's what the ballistics at 3450m would look like:

>352.4 MOA bullet drop
>711.4 feet/sec velocity
>786.4 ft/lb force
>10.078 sec travel time
That's a basic bitch 700 grain bullet, by the way.

If you want a rough comparison:
A typical 1oz 12ga shotgun slug weighs about 440 grains.
At 100 yards, it'd be going ~900fps, carrying about ~850ft/lb force.

700gr of copper jacketed FMJBT is very different from 440gr of lead slug in terminal ballistics but it'd be fair to say that at 3450m, that the .50bmg struck the Hadji with comparable force to a 12ga slug would have at maybe 120, 130m.

It is an impressive feat to pull off that shot, but it's entirely possible. The Tac-50 advertises as being guaranteed to achieve .5moa with appropriate ammo, which would correspond to about a 16" group at that range. Since even a mild breeze would cause huge bullet drift at that range, plus things like the Coriolis effect, I suspect he probably walked the bullets onto the target rather than sat around crunching numbers trying to figure out his hold-overs and windages - the bullet would have been subsonic by then (ie, no crack) and the muzzle report would be so far away it'd be inaudible to the hadji, so they'd probably barely have even noticed the bullets walking onto them. Between that, and a little bit of luck, I can see it happening.
>>
>>34330429
Apparently Canucks have been known to use Hornady A-Max for this purpose. It has a heavier 750gr bullet, but it also has a much better ballistic coefficient, so here's what that'd look like at 3450m:

>207.9 MOA bullet drop
>910.2 feet/sec velocity
>1379.4 ft/lb force
>7.824 sec travel time
Impressive what a difference the right tool for the job makes at that range.
>>
>>34330429
Snipers carrying around railguns for 5km confirmed kills when?
>>
Very possible.

Mounted M2s were good for 5000 yards indirect fire IIRC.
>>
>>34330429
>it'd be inaudible to the hadji, so they'd probably barely have even noticed the bullets walking onto them
Those dipshits probably sat there thinking "if one of these hits me, Allah wills it."
>>
>>34330132
>metre

I can't stand britcuck spelling, the nonsensical lack of standardization of 'er' ending words triggers my tism
>>
>>34330464
>>34330429
I watched something on the history channel about the 2400m kill Corporal Robert Furlong of the Canadian Princess Patricia's Light Infantry as part of Canadian special operations in Afghanistan in 2002. He was using a Macmillain Tac 50 with the Hornady A-Max you mentioned. Took I think 8 or 10 shots to drop 2 Taliban fighters.
With the 50 caliber round even if it's lost most of its momentum it still carries enough energy to kill, with a pretty big margin.
They put the ammo in the sun to heat it up, and the thinner air at the high elevation which they were operating diminished drag.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqxwjsqfn6A
>>
>>34330429
>>34330464

I did my math based on the M1022, though the US and CAN seem to prefer 750gr Hornady and Lapua.

At 3,450yd:

>12027.5in/332.9MOA of drop
>730.2ft/s velocity
>769.4ftlb energy
>9.358 seconds of flight time
So even at 3,450 yards, the bullet strikes with approximately the same force as a typical .357 load, and probably is delivering a wound cavity of greater size.
Which is pretty dank

What in wondering is, if they are using M1022, is it designed for transonic? Or is continued destabilization not as much an issue with the .50BMG after it moves transonic like it is with smol bullets?
>>
>>34330755
The most impressive thing that the target must have been totally static.

If he moved at 3mph he could have covered 40 feet in the time the bullet was in the air.
>>
>>34330773

Almost certainly. Something like less than 1% of shots that actually hit targets snipers are firing at beyond 800m are moving targets.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.