[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wanting to buy a shotgun. Im still pretty new to the firearm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

Wanting to buy a shotgun. Im still pretty new to the firearm thing. Ive only got a single S&W handgun. Budget for a Shotgun is about 400 give or take.

Remington 870 or Mossberg 500? Is there REALLY a difference between them? Or is there a better Shotgun for that price I should be looking at instead?
>>
>>34329472
If you are on a tight budget, i would recomend a mossberg maverick88.
Its almost exactly the same as a 500, but only about $200.
It uses the same stocks, barrels, and aftermarket stuff.
iirc only the pump and safety are different.
>>
>>34329472
>remington
qc has gone down the shitter unless you find an older one (before the cerberus takeover).

Stick with the mossberg between the two.
>>
File: 1436467169473.jpg (146KB, 654x539px) Image search: [Google]
1436467169473.jpg
146KB, 654x539px
>shotguns all in all have insane variety, especially for lower budgets
>always ends up as mossman 500 vs remshit 870

I'll never understand this
Shotguns have a wonderful universe of their own for people to discover
>>
>>34329590
Because those two are the best.

>>34329472

I don't think you can honestly go wrong with either. The only practical difference between the two is the safety location. I like the one on the mossberg more than the 870, so I bought a mossberg. I still would trust either with my life.
>>
File: 1432487077766.png (52KB, 206x215px) Image search: [Google]
1432487077766.png
52KB, 206x215px
>>34329623
>Because those two are the best.
You have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.
>>
>>34329634

unless you find something cool like a slamfire fun Ithaca, it's true.
>>
>>34329590
to put it simply the 500/870 are simply the best options in the 300-400 range they can drop as low as 150 used.
when the choice is $150 500 vs new savage 320 with minimal aftermarket youd be stupid not to take the 500.
now lets say you cant find a $150 used 500. just wait a few more weeks and buy a new one. or cheap out and buy the 870/500 knockoff clone for 200. you get something 90% as good as a real one for 100-200 cheaper than the real thing.

but i wanna be a special snowflake and buy an ria m5 or whatever that looks cool at the gunshop and costs 200-250 while not being a 500/870. go ahead do what you want but dont act surprised when its subpar in someway

plenty of pump shotguns that are better than 500/870s like supernovas exist but nobody wants to shell out more than $400 for an pump shotgun.
>>
>>34329472
a new remington 870 is cheaper and has better balance than the mossberg 550 which i think is too light weight
plus you can get an extension cheap
>>
>>34329658
>>34329656
Goddammit you dense fucks
Next time you're at a gun show or even at a gun store that has a halfway decent selection try looking around for more than two seconds.

For the price of a new plain jane pump only a couple weeks back I saw a used Supernova, a M37, a couple Baikals, Auto-5s and a 1100, and that's only off the top of my head.
>>
>>34329680
>instead of a new gun you could get a used gun!
>it won't really do anything better, and a lot of things worse, no afer-market
>but you'll be really cool, I promise!

being a special snowflake is not the most important thing in the world
>>
>>34329680
when someone asks about pumpshotguns why would anyone recommend semiautos like an a5 or double barrels?
>>
>>34329693
Tell me where in the OP it says anything about pump action.

>>34329692
If you can't be assed to learn anything about evaluating the condition of a used gun you really should get another hobby.
>>
Mossberg 590 all the way. both pretty decent shotguns. However, the 870 failed the mil-spec tests horribly. you can pick up a 590 for around 500
>>
>>34329706
this is some grade A+ autism. Usually someone needs a trip to be this obtuse for no reason other than to get replies.
>>
>>34329718
>gets called out on spewing bullshit
>u-re an autist
lal
>>
>>34329729

Look, you're the same kind of fuck who would actually counsel someone to get a mosin instead of a new bolt action.

You're honestly just whiny and belligerent right from the start. I can understand the viewpoint of wanting to have something different from everyone else because god forbid that other bitch wears the same outfit as you, but christ on a stick, tone it down like five notches or else you're gonna get called out on being a giant fucking autist.
>>
>>34329706
>If you can't be assed to learn anything about evaluating the condition of a used gun you really should get another hobby.
firstguns/noguns cant be trusted to evaluate used guns
>>
>>34329736
Fuck no, I hate nuggets with a burning passion and I'm really not a huge fan of milsurp in general.
I've just grown tired of seeing multiple threads a week for years that are supposed to be about shotguns but people act like only the 870 and 500 exist after two replies.

By the way I have a 870 and I fucking love it.
>>
>>34329750

You know this thread isn't about you right?
>>
>>34329753
Then stop fucking calling me out because I don't only like basic bitch shotguns.
>>
File: 1300411749666.gif (778KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1300411749666.gif
778KB, 320x240px
>>34329472
590a1 and get a bayonet and stab shit, then blow it off.
>>
>>34329765
>Then stop fucking calling me out because I don't only like basic bitch shotguns.
Seriously, please just get a tripcode, then you can go hang out with them. You'll fit right in.

Reread your first post. That is why I'm calling you out. Because you started off right from your first post throwing a fit to get attention. OP wants advice between two pump action shotguns. Two very good choices for a beginner. But you just want to tell everyone there are other shotguns out there! Who cares, those are irrelevant to beginners. Is a Baikal really a good choice? Fuck no. How about a Browning Auto-5? How is OP who only owns a single pistol supposed to know if it's fucked or not?

Anyone with any sense would tell him to get a Mossberg 500/590 or a Remington 870. Maybe a Maverick 88 in on a budget. They dominate the market for a very good reason. The special snowflake shit comes later.
>>
>>34329785
>Shotguns have a wonderful universe of their own for people to discover
>throwing a fit

Okay, I'll just keep encouraging people to get an AR, a Glock and a pump-action shotgun then and nothing else because that's what autistic tripfags would do.
Sorry.
>>
>>34329796
the special snowflake shit comes after you purchase something decent and proven. if the dude wants to buy more guns later he should have enough experience by then to determine what he wants.
but no you want the dude to start off something like an a5 which if its that cheap will probably have a bunch of mechanical issues. nobody wants to tinker around with their first and only gun trying to make the thing work while having zero warranty. thats the kinda thing that turns you off off firearms.
>>
Bump

Before a retard starting rambling on I was waiting for good comparisons
>>
at this point in time the 870 express build quality is worse than the 500. if this is new gun vs new gun just get the 500.
it used to be a 50/50 tossup now its more like 60/40
however the 870 will probably feel more solid in your hands. this comes from the fact it weighs more and the 500 forend wobbles like a motherfucker. which is very offputting as a first impression. its by design for reliability but some people really cant stand the 500.
if you intend to swap the stock for a pistol grip the 870 has a better layout. 870 is better if you want to add mag extensions. you cant really do that with a 500 in a costeffective manner while having the gun still remain a 500.

either is a fine choice. even though the 870 has declined its mostly easily remedied or cosmetic issues. stemming from the fact rem just ships em out at like 98%done instead of doing it properly. if you do decide to get an 870 cause you prefer it you have to put more work into maintenance and rust prevention.
>>
>>34330160
Fuck I'm getting thorough replies tonight

Thanks
>>
>>34330160

basically what this guy said, chances are either will be a fine gun and it'll probably be up to personal preference in the end.

watch out for rust on the 870 though if you get it, heard they've had a lot of issues with that.
>>
>>34329472
Benelli M4. You won't regret it.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.