[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WWII service rifles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

File: springfield.jpg (34KB, 652x167px) Image search: [Google]
springfield.jpg
34KB, 652x167px
So /k/ recently I have been considering adding a world war era service rifle to my collection but I'm not really sure where to start, and what to look for.
Any tips and advice as far as ammo availability and pricing would be great.
>>
>>34328758
fuck that get an M1903 A1.
>>
>>34328762
fuck thats high

I was thinking something more like a mosin nagant that retails for like $350
>>
>>34328790
>$350 for a mosin

You're late to the party for that one matey, just dont do it. They were superior buys when they were $90, hell even when they were $120 it was a good deal. Now you can buy a brand new bolt action for the price of a 100 year old milsurp peasant rifle.
>>
>>34328758
M1 Garand, K98, and K31 are my favorites. I ended up selling my Enfield and Mosin.
>>
>>34328832
I really want it for more of the history aspect more than any thing. There is just something cool about world war era rifles and I have accepted I would have to pay a slight premium for something along those lines.
>>
>>34328889
Then get anything besides a nugget. They are stupidly overpriced. There's something like 30 million of them floating around, the price will go down again. In the meantime get an arisaka, mauser or really anything else.
>>
>>34328758
Nugget still has the cheapest ammo but it's a shitty gun.

Mauser/Lee Enfield/K31 are in roughly the same price and quality range, with similar ammo price/availability (although K31 has slightly cheaper milsurp). $300 for a beater mauser or Enfield, 500 for a decent one or K31.

1903 will be closer to $1k but is easiest to find ammo for.
>>
>>34328915
>>34328928
Just from looking at prices I definitely think the Lee Enfield is the way to go as far as ammo and price. Is there any things that I should look out for when buying one?
>>
>>34328956
yeah, you should look for a mauser
>>
>>34328758

If you want history a Mosin is a decent choice, get an M91 (not 91/30) and you'll have a gun that probably fought in two world wars.

Same can be said for an early model Lee-Enfield.

Most other guns came along much later, usually in the 30s.

If you want the most history I'd try for an early SMLE, but that'll cost a bit more than an M91 I think, so if you want the most history for your dollar get a Mosin.
>>
>>34328956
just pitting/ amount of rifling left. Some folks like all the serial numbers to match but I will choose a gun with mismatched serial numbers in good condition over a perfectly matched gun thats wore to shit.
>>
>>34328956

Some people gets twitchy about the idea of the Ishapore rifles (from India) but if you get a pre-independence one (meaning made before 48ish) then t should be made to the exact standards of the others. Later ones are probably fine too.

I find the No. 1 Mk III the most aesthetic, in fact it's one of my favorite LOOKING guns overall, but they are (IIRC) slightly less common than the No. 4 Mk 1.

Those are the two most common versions. There's also the No. 5 Mk 1 "Jungle Carbine" which is even shorter and handier, but has a reputation for a wandering zero.
>>
>>34328966
>>34328971
thanks this is the first time I have really ever looked into the antique gun market besides a few things that just got passed down the family
>>
File: toddangery.jpg (800KB, 1062x1062px) Image search: [Google]
toddangery.jpg
800KB, 1062x1062px
>>34328956
>Mfw I just got a 1916 Lee Enfield with no import markings for 250
>>
>>34328996

Lucky fuck. I'm happy with my '41 Lithgow for $375 though.
>>
>>34328984
It's a shame you didn't look into it a few years ago, could have gotten 4 mosins for the price 1 is going for now.
>>
I unironically want a carcano.

No JFK bullshit. I actually think the design is cool and en-bloc is lyfe.
>>
>>34329002
Did you happen to buy it in Sioux falls?
>>
>>34328996
How did you manage that?
>>
>>34329017

I want one too, but mostly because I want a complete set of WW2 rifles.

>>34329024

Nope, backwater store in SW Washington. Same place I got an 1873 Trapdoor for $750. I should swing by again and see if they have anything new.
>>
>>34329006
yeah it only recently dawned on me that the price will only keep going up for service rifles and I figured why not now.
>>
>>34329046

Same for me. I've spent about $4000 this year.
>>
>>34329046
Not necessarily with nagants. Like >>34328915
said there are millions, I would bet money the price will bottom out again, especially now that we aren't getting surplus ammo from russia.

Meanwhile the price of literally any other countries milsurp of that era will continue to climb in price and never come back down.
>>
A good K98k is around $500 and 8mm Mauser is relatively cheap and easy to find. And besides unlike a nugget it will most likely appreciate in value
>>
>>34329050
I wish I had that kinda cash to spend but I'm kinda tight on funds but if anyone asks I can sell it as an investment
>>
>>34329076

Guns and food are my only vices, and for food I prefer quantity over quality, so even that isn't much of a drain.
>>
>>34329070
yeah, I think I've decided on getting a Lee Enfield for the price and the fact that the price will keep (hopefully) climbing
>>
>>34329111

You gonna look for a Number 1, 4 or 5?
>>
>>34329130
haven't gotten that far would like a mk 1 though but I'll just have to see what price dictates
>>
>>34329149

Better to decide which one you want and make the money work.

Might take another couple weeks of selling your plasma, but it'll mean you have a gun that you really want, instead of one that's just close to what you want.
>>
>>34328758
An m1 garand is the only valid choice no matter the price
>>
how is mas36?
>>
File: Model1917R-1.jpg (51KB, 800x504px) Image search: [Google]
Model1917R-1.jpg
51KB, 800x504px
i want dis one :3
>>
>>34330098
I like mine a lot. Ammo isn't as hard to get as it was. Some people hate the sights but it's one of the best if not well known rifles of ww2
>>
>>34329030
He wanted 300, we met up, asked him if he would go lower, he said yeah. I also had my arms list add up for months, ignoring or denying bad offers and sporters
>>
>>34328758
Pick whichever gun gives you the hardest erection.

For me? M1 Garand.
>>
>>34328762

Can confirm. Love my 03A1.
>>
>>34328758
Get a 99 and take pictures of you holding it next to your waifu.
>>
throwing K31 out there
ammo is moderately available PPU and Hornady and Grafs make new ammo, surplus is available right now
should be able to get one for under $450 if you look around

fantastically well made and fantastically accurate rifles with an interesting and unusual action
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.