[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Land based combat robots/drones

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: cheetah robot.jpg (1MB, 3000x1985px) Image search: [Google]
cheetah robot.jpg
1MB, 3000x1985px
Why are all combat robots portrayed as being slow (or human speed i.e. slow) or bipedal?

https://youtu.be/QCqxOzKNFks

Is bipedal humanoid really the design to shoot for? Its only advantage is that it wastes less energy and that only applies to biological platforms that use ATP (and only when compared to quadruped animals). Robots don't use ATP.
>>
>>34325510
>Is bipedal humanoid really the design to shoot for?

Hell no. 2 legs means slow inefficient and easy to get shot at.

make a 4 legged fast moving machine and put guns on it. it will be death incarnate.
>>
because mechfags want everything to have legs
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7xvqQeoA8c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf7IEVTDjng
>>
>>34328480

Both of those look awesome but the four legged ones can move on rocky terrains and go up stairs.
>>
Needs to have legs so I can easily find where the penis/vagina is.
>>
Teaching a two legged robutt to walk is easier because it has two less legs than a four legged robutt and I am a leg scientist so trust me.
>>
>>34328597
As a leg scientist what is your opinion on skipping leg day?
>>
File: 1380377920979.jpg (320KB, 889x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1380377920979.jpg
320KB, 889x1000px
>>34325510
in GiTs the only reason for androids was they could already use tools humans had been making for centuries.
Tachikoma would be a nightmare to fight IRL. because it is a small mobile tank that can hack you and be invisible.
>>
>>34325510

Generally legged robots will have an easier time navigating areas built for human use. Two-legged robots will find it easier than quadruped/hexapod ones, too. Stairs, hallways, doors, elevators, all of them are designed with a certain height/length in mind, and with the idea of manipulators being limited to a certain height range. Doorknobs are always going to be around three feet off the floor, and doors will need to be pushed/pulled. An eight-foot-long quadruped might have trouble fitting inside an elevator, whereas a six-foot-tall biped wouldn't. Using tools originally meant for humans is also a possible factor.

Now, this all assumes that there will be a need for robotic combatants to navigate human-use areas, like houses or other buildings. That may not ultimately be true. I imagine that robots built for open-field combat would be very different. Having a lower frame would be an advantage there, certainly, the same as it is for tanks.

In the end, though, we don't know what the future of robotic combat is going to look like, or if there will even be one. All we can do is speculate.
>>
>>34325510

>Is bipedal humanoid really the design to shoot for?

In entertainment mostly, also to test all kinds of balance-related calculations etc.

In real life you could ANY kind of robots, really.

A combination of any number of limbs, wheels and threads, there's no limit really.

>>34328480

FUCK! That Handle bot is creepy!
>>
>>34325510
Two legs and two hands are better than just four legs. One can use current equipment and manipulate objects without the additional weight of a mounting system or even a fifth limb stuck on the back.

Not to mention that the amount of articulation needed for a 4 legged design to actually match its potential rather than being a stiff box with """legs""" in place of wheels is much greater than that of a bipedal design. You can get away with just good hips/waist and two legs (no arms) for a bipedal walker. Programming and teaching a two legged robot is already hard enough and now you want it to coordinate four legs and a flexible waist in a natural, efficient manner? That extra work and cost will come out of somewhere else.
>>
>>34328480

>that jump at the end

UNDERSTAND UNDERSTAND

THE CONCEPT OF LOVE
>>
>>34328644
>Tachikoma would be a nightmare to fight IRL. because it is a small mobile tank that can hack you and be invisible

Plus

>Zero turn
>Fuckton of funs
>Analytical AI
>The weird cable launchers
>Fast as cars, about ten times as maneuverable at speed
>Can be augmented with human pilot
>Adorable little girl voice you don't want to shoot.

They're really the perfect weapon.
>>
>>34328627
You can do it. There is every reason for leg day but if you skip leg day you will only be less leg. It is sad but you can live and even look normal if you skip handarm day next.
>>
>>34328806
So you're saying I should skip every day?
>>
>>34328825

skipping is a decent exercise by itself

but cardio won't mask a low self steem like gains do.
>>
File: detahkorpsofkreig.gif (2MB, 817x537px) Image search: [Google]
detahkorpsofkreig.gif
2MB, 817x537px
>>34325510
outlawstar.jpg
>>
>>34328836
At least I won't die in a sauna.
>>
>>34327585
> 2 legs means slow inefficient
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kotWv4MCxNI
>>
>>34328955
If the cyclists were going on the grass rather than the perfectly smooth and flat road the ostrich would have run circles around them.
>>
>>34329049
It would have run exactly up to them and no further before it started kicking holes in their little spandex suits.
>>
a ball like bb-88 is unironically the best design for a quick mobile land drone
>>
>>34329096

we're not building your droidekas, chancellor.
>>
>>34325510
the japs are gonna kill us all with battle droids arint they?
>>
>>34328955

That's just the scout, you can't see the flock of hundreds chasing the camera guy.
>>
File: TARS.jpg (161KB, 590x421px) Image search: [Google]
TARS.jpg
161KB, 590x421px
Why bother with legs?
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.