[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A world without Rubber

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: 124776.jpg (72KB, 500x609px) Image search: [Google]
124776.jpg
72KB, 500x609px
The World Rubber supply has somehow been almost eradicated. How would this affect mobility for both military and civilian purposes.

Would tracked vehicles be an expensive but necessary alternative? Or would we just see less vehicles in general.
>>
>>34324322
PVC everything
>>
Well, since you just killed off the world oil supply, I don't think we'll be seeing any kind of internal combustion engines anymore.
>>
>>34324358
This, we're goung back to brass and steam
>>
>>34324358
this

almost no one uses natural rubber anymore. it is all synthetics made from oil.
>>
>>34324358
What role does rubber play in the oil industry.
>>
>>34324322
Tracks are killer on gas efficiency. Hovercrafts would reign supreme!
>>
>>34324386
What do you think the synthetic rubber in your tyres is made out of?
>>
>>34324395
what do you think the skirts are made out of?
>>
>>34324395
That's not how you spell trains.
>>
Probably aluminum tires like the Thrust SSC.

If anything, America might improve. Cars are the cancer of this country.
>>
File: Rooikat with airless tires 1999.jpg (140KB, 764x520px) Image search: [Google]
Rooikat with airless tires 1999.jpg
140KB, 764x520px
>>34324322
But before you content yourself with that, get some mechanical engineers and ask them how many sealing elements and whatever else can't do without (natural) rubber.
>>
>>34324398
I was under the impression most industrial rubbers for car tires were of the natural variety than synthetic. Harvested from rubber trees.
>>
>>34324431
What are those made of? Or rather, what raw materials go into them.
>>
>>34324358

>no oil
>no fuel for internal combustion engines
>he don't know about coal gasification

Did you missed last 80 years of technological development or something?
>>
>>34324450
There's also wood gas. And a few other meme gasses which become cost effective in the event that crude oil goes the way of the dinosaur.
>>
>>34324450
Can that replace every hose, pipe and gasket too? And all the plastics?
>>
>>34324450
>>34324465
>>34324479
If we're taking away fossil fuels, lack of rubber will be the least of our problems anyway.
>>
>>34324438
They use both. And if only natural rubber disappears, it'd be a week before someone just makes entirely synthetic tyres.
>>
>>34324504
Still the point is, even without crude oil or rubber trees, lets suppose we're willing to settle for wood gas or coal gas.

We still have some fuel and we need to make vehicles. What are the alternatives to tires?
>>34324431
Also what are these made of and how are they made?
>>
>>34324479

nigga, there's a shitload of plants that could be used as a source of rubber. In fact isoprene is one of the most common substance produced by plants to protect against the heat stress. If you have source of isoprene you can produce any fucking plastic that you want.
Nobody is doing this nowadays because oil is so abundant and cheap. But the technology is here since early XX century.
>>
>>34324583
Which makes OPs 'all the rubber is gone wat do' scenario totally irrelevant.

Really this whole thread can be summed up with a simpsons clip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1iCZpFMYd0
>>
File: federnde Räder.jpg (31KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
federnde Räder.jpg
31KB, 400x225px
>>34324445
>>34324525
I have no idea honestly. Looks to be some kind of non-rubber polymer. The main advantage in this case was apparently durability and ease of maintenance rather than conserving rubber. There's a similar WW1 example made from steel springs here. I don't know how well that one works and how one would replace the rolling surface.
>>
>>34324607
OP here. I was musing on a scenario about where natural Crude Oil and Rubber Trees from South America aren't viable for tires any more.

But from the sound of it you can get tires from Isoprene which can be taken from lots of average trees here in the US.
>>
>>34324438
You're correct. The large amount of rubber in your tires is natural, with synthetic rubbers added to the compound to affect various properties.
>>
>>34324636

Isoprene = natural rubber (not exactly, but close enough for making a rubbery shit from it) and one of the best natural isoprene producers are oaks, poplars and aspens which are thriving on Northen hemisphere. There are even species of dandelion that contains up to 25% of natural rubber in their sap; it's not cultivated because processing of plant material is much more complicated and expensive (you can't fucking notch a dandelion stalk and install tiny cup on it to collect the rubber) but in case of SHTF for rubber trees there are viable options
>>
Does that mean Bad Dragon closes shop ?
Breaking news : troop moral at an all time low.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.