[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Weather megaweapons, are they possible?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7

File: Cloud seeding.png (222KB, 700x330px) Image search: [Google]
Cloud seeding.png
222KB, 700x330px
Cloud seeding is one way we have to manipulate the weather, in a very literal sense.

This is how it works:
>Clouds are formed when water vapor nucleates on a small particle, which creates an airborne water droplet.
>Usually these particles come from solar wind interacting with the upper atmosphere, or other as-yet-unknown sources
>By providing nucleation particles (silver iodide), we can effectively create clouds
>When clouds nucleate, they release heat. This can cause updrafts, air currents
https://cen.acs.org/articles/94/i22/Does-cloud-seeding-really-work.html

This technology has been used before to create rainfall, or dampen the effect of damaging storms. But how else can we use it? Here are some ideas:
>Deprive a region of rainfall, condemn them to starvation
>Create severe thunderstorms, potentially damaging enemy combat effectiveness at crucial times in the war
>Create tornadoes, even hurricanes. Potentially severely impacting an enemy city, or even the entire country

This has been done before on a small scale, but never has it been done on an industrial scale. We don't yet know how far we can push this technology. Will we see weather wars in the future?
>>
>>34323885
Something something too scary something something real supervillain something something "world domination is illegal!!!!!!11". Also no fun allowed.

Bump for interest, though.
>>
>>34323885
If it were to be done, it would have to be done in secret. Once the world finds out you're starving a nation, or flooding it, no one's going to be happy about that. I do think that if you could manipulate the weather to create a storm to create concealment for a stealth/recon operation, that would be cool
>>
>>34323926
I mean a hurricane is more powerful than a nuclear bomb. It could be a very devastating weapon to have in your arsenal.
And you don't have radiation, so it's more environmentally friendly
>>
Cloud seeding is small time.
>>
>>34323885
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Popeye
>>
go home COBRA
>>
>>34323885
>create hurricanes
I really doubt we could scale it up that high anytime soon.
>starve countries
doable. It's the way I would go, but you don't necessarily want to do this. Leads to refugees and all the problems that come with refugees.

The best kind of war to wage is and always has been total war. You don't have to worry about anything because all you did was kill people and loot shit.
>>
>>34323885
It depends on where you are, but you could create a huge rainstorn to fuck their crops a bit, but the real killer will be the drough afterwards since their clouds have being depleted. Depending on the source on those clouds it could take moths for them to come back, enough for starvation to kick in
>>
File: CLOUD SEEDING FLARES.png (3MB, 1584x1572px) Image search: [Google]
CLOUD SEEDING FLARES.png
3MB, 1584x1572px
>>34323885

Cloud seeding has been used for combat effectiveness, It is also used around air fields to reduce heavy precipitation and mitigate the effects of hail.

THere have been proposals to use it to stop heavy mechanized units (by flooding out their transit routes)

THe tornado and and hurricane are some tin foil hat theories (literally look up HAARP conspiracy)

It can be used to stop forest fires (by making it rain) and there have been proposals to remove moisture from hurricanes by causing the water to go away from the storm formation

Dry Ice can also be used. And I have heard that table salt in very fine concentrations could be used

But overall, there are several military technologies for changing the weather

https://www2.ucar.edu/news/weather-modification-and-cloud-seeding-fact-sheet

http://iceflares.com/

There was also a proposal to use artillery to seed clouds at one point (special pyrotechnic shells fired into the atmosphere to condense water molecules)
>>
>>34324221
>a hurricane is more powerful than a nuclear bomb
Nigger what? A nuclear weapon can have effects that lasts for literal decades and not to mention the blast zone is immediately decimated along with radioactive debris spreading through air currents, so it's pretty fucking devastating, not to say a hurricane isn't but it's nowhere near as devastating as a nuke could be.
>>
>>34323885
>Deprive a region of rainfall, condemn them to starvation

you would have to do this for months at a time though. maybe even years to really be anything more than an annoyance. The scale of """weather weapons"""" doesnt really seem to pan out to me
>>
File: 1496116174752.jpg (105KB, 640x616px) Image search: [Google]
1496116174752.jpg
105KB, 640x616px
>>34325922

Not really, just wait until right after their little seeds start to sprout in the fields,and then fuck them all with rain for days

>the crops will be ruined
>as effective as agent red or whatever they used back in 'nam to de-field the gooks food supply
>>
File: oh well.png (702KB, 553x672px) Image search: [Google]
oh well.png
702KB, 553x672px
>>34325849

I think he means more large scale minor damage, if 5000 roofs get torn off, society will descend into chaos. If 5000 houses turn into popcorn, then people will just avoid the area for the next gorrillion years.

it is equally as devastating, but in a completely different way
>>
File: 3D Batman.jpg (20KB, 315x282px) Image search: [Google]
3D Batman.jpg
20KB, 315x282px
>Cloud seeding

Not as good as daughter seeding.
>>
>>34323885
Modifying Hurricanes was experimented with in the 80s. When the results showed to be too dangerous they terminated the program immediately.

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/hrd_sub/sfury.html
>>
>>34325849
Not him, but are you dumb or did you just not read his post?

Dropping hurricanes is easier, more clandestine, and spreads the devastation over a larger area. Also, nukes need to actually reach the target to do anything which means they're either in bomb or missile format. Hurricanes are the ultimate standoff weapon since you could "grow" one and then laugh as it spends the next week and a half utterly fucking the target's entire coastline.

Try and intercept a motherfucking hurricane that's appeared out of nowhere.
>>
>>34325922
As a weapon of attrition in combination with sanctions or even combat operations, it would be devastating
>>
File: spurdo soldier.jpg (10KB, 127x124px) Image search: [Google]
spurdo soldier.jpg
10KB, 127x124px
>>34326616
This link seems to say that the project was done in the 1960s and that in the 1980s they challenged the positive results. Did you not read your own sources my man?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.