[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Luxury Shotguns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: 150213144243431-4.jpg (126KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
150213144243431-4.jpg
126KB, 1024x682px
Ok, so I'm a little more than half way saved up for a luxury shotgun for clay shooting. This has been my dream for a very long time. Decided I might go for a Purdey & Sons over Holland & Holland because I actully want to shoot it and I have been informed Purdey will actually repair guns purchased directly from them for free, unlike H&H (I think it might have to do with Purdey making more shotguns than H&H- which is really saying something). I know this is a long shot in a place like /k/ but has anyone ever had experience with Purdey? Also, I'm leaning for 20 bore since I'll be shooting clays. Is this the right move?
>>
File: a95e7b3ea734313c87ee18d27a054848.jpg (171KB, 1000x700px) Image search: [Google]
a95e7b3ea734313c87ee18d27a054848.jpg
171KB, 1000x700px
bumping with more pictures
>>
Sorry I can't help you OP but I'm going to give you a bump and monitor this thread. I've always wanted one of those most luxurious of scatterguns.
>>
>>34322517
no problem.
bumping again
>>
There's no way anyone on /k/ is going to be able to give you any kind of relevant advice on this topic, OP. You'd be better off on a shotgun sports enthusiast forum.
>>
>>34322843
Nah I'll give it a shot
>lol fucking faggot shotguns are obsolete just get an AR-15
>>
>>34322843
Sad but true. We do not have enough luxury owners posting to begin to get someone competent let alone not a troll
>>
>>34321964
Why 20 over 12 for Clays?

The gun I luster over is a 725 Golden Clays.
>>
>>34321964
No experience with them, but fucking love my Rizzini. Italians make the best shit.

Also would reccomend Griffin & Howe, America's oldest gun manufacturer
>>
File: 1479176464938.jpg (389KB, 1284x980px) Image search: [Google]
1479176464938.jpg
389KB, 1284x980px
>friend buys $12,000 Italian handmade "luxury" shotgun
>go to the trap range with him
>he is showing it off
>he leans it against the truck
>it falls over into the gravel
>hand engraved and stippled wood is all chipped up
>mfw
>>
>>34322867
>>34321964
Either is just fine for clays

Personally, I'm kinda getting tired of using 12ga for clays
>>
>>34322843
Well it was worth a shot
>>34322867 for this reason >>34322917
>>34322902
I've thought about a few Italian makes. Believe it or not I think English makers have better wood selections if not lesser quality engravings
>>
>>34322909
You're a prick lol
>>
>>34322955
Yes indeed I am. He did get it replaced under warranty but it took like 18 months.
>>
File: 1497601903111.png (25KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
1497601903111.png
25KB, 300x250px
>>34322853
das it mane
>>
>>34322917
I picked up an old Husqvarna Model 20 that uses 65mm 12ga blackpowder loads.

Essentially low powered 12 gauge with 2.5" hulls. Looking forward to handloading some shells for it, because normal 12 does get needlessly tiring.
>>
>>34321964
For just clays, 20 will be fine, but I think for eventual resale/collector's value you may want to consider 12 carefully.

Purdey & Sons has always seemed a little overpriced in comparison to their nearest competitors to me, but it's more a feeling based on my interest than it is something I can objectively quantify.

Don't underestimate the value of Purdey's repair offer, though. That's a great thing, as parts alone can be expensive and odds are you don't want the local gunsmith marring up your finish because he's only ever worked with Mossberg 500's and Remington 870's. Customer service in times of a repair need is key -as an example, I won't ever own another Ruger because of their botched refusal to do anything about the extremely poor LCP trigger, which I'm sure they could have solved for under $25. I would own an ugly brick of a Hi-Point, and be secure in the knowledge that they'd happily fix anything wrong, forever, no questions asked. So when you're dropping 8-15k on a luxury shotgun, it's nice to know that someone who knows what they're doing will be working on it in the future if needed.
>>
>>34322948
No one I know with a H&H shoots it regularly, if H&H doesn't support post sale, that is probably why.

If you like the English aesthetic, go for it.

I'd still question going with a 20 gauge, however.
>>
>>34322909
Fucking this.

If you want a gucci gun to annihilate clays with, get an M4 and some chokes or a competition over/under.

Those $12,000 luxo scatterguns only make sense to hang on your wall and masturbate to, if you don't actually have enough money to fill your safe with them like Cletus does with his M&P Sports, HiPoints and 10/22s.

The only people who should actually use them in their god-intended role are people for whom $12k for a shotgun is pocket change.

t. Sorta-rich-for-4chan fag

>>34322963
Coincidentally, you're probably much more likely to ratchet yourself to the front of the warranty work line when you compulsively H&H's or Purdy's the way we buy police auction 870s, because they know you'll keep coming back for more. That sucker who saves and scrimps enough for an M4, a pair of comp guns, a Dan Wesson 1911, AND a scar 17 over a period of months or years just to blow it on a shotgun that costs as much as a Patek Phillipe is utterly worthless to the boutique manufacturers, because they know he's as good as one-and-done when it comes to coming back to buy more of their shit.
>>
>>34323037
OP Here.
Something I have realized that a new (if not old but becoming popular again) trend in business is trap shooting. I have already gone to a couple meetings where we have gone to talk while shooting (not while-but you know what I mean). These people use clay shooting in the same sense as golf. They are also as impressionable by the shotguns you use to shoot as the golf clubs you swing with. The money isn't that big of a deal, as I see it as a business investment as well as a long time dream.
>>
>>34323166
Same sorta-rich-for-4chan fag again

Oh, it absolutely is. My buddy got into shooting sports because his 3rd and 4th year precepting MD's would take him out trap shooting on the weekends. That was in Maine, though, so there were probably fewer H&H's and more Brownings and other respectably high-end shotguns in the hands of the sorts of pragmatic surgeons who move up there in the first place.

I'd imagine that it's the same in pretty much every other high-paying field, and yeah, I can totally see it becoming an arms race.

I grew up in the sailing world, used to be into roadbikes and I rowed during/after college, once upon a time, and so I'm not against spending that much money on a piece of sporting equipment (if you ever want to cry, look at the MSRP's for an entry-level singles from basic bitch builders like Pocock or Vespoli. You're looking at $8k+ for the rowing equivalent of a bargain basement PSA AR carbine. And that seemed "cheap" to me compared to the sailing world, where an entry-level PHRF capable 20'-30' racing keelboat will set you back $30-50k, and a used one merely $10-30k), but if the business clay-killing world is anything like the rowing/sailing/biking communities, you'll get a hell of a lot more respect if you kick their asses with something respectably decent than you will if you are just average with the fanciest setup of the bunch.

That's all out the door if you're constantly pushing their shit in at the range. In that case, feel free to get the flashiest thing you can afford. We never respected the dentist with the $15k Hudson or Fluidesign shell who consistently finished mid-pack, but that 50 year old ex-olympian with the $22k Van Dusen hand-shaped to his proportions in some retired MIT professor's garage who still smoked D1 collegiate rowers at summer masters' events was seen as a literal god among men.
>>
>>34323486
Me, I'll never work in one of those fields, so the fanciest shotgun I'll ever get is an M4, just because it's equally adept at shooting both trap and tyrone alike.

Now, high-powered rifles, you say? A couple weeks ago I had a dream where somehow I ended up plinking at 1200 yards with a TRG-42.

It was fucking beautiful.
>>
>>34321964
Why not Krieghoff or Perazzi? They'd be my first choice for a top Sporting Clays, Trap, or Skeet gun. H&H would make a very nice heirloom type shotgun though.
>>
>>34321964
I mean go for it if it makes you happy, but personally if I spent thousands on a shotgun I'd just be thinking about how many shells and clays I could have bought with the money saved by just buying a Mossberg 500 or a cheaper over under.
>>
>>34323539
I know Perazzi, but never heard of Krieghoff. I'll check them out
>>
>>34323539
Double post but whatever. They look ugly as sin
>>
>>34323702
Do ittt.
>>
>>34323486
I'm relatively new to Clay shooting, but I was quick to pick up the same ideas. Since I'm shooting with a younger group no one really cares whether you use an auto but as soon as you step to competition or a fancy club it's brought up quickly why you don't use o/u.

Kicking someone's ass in score with a shitty Beretta with bent rib really pisses off anyone with a "luxury" gun.
>>
>>34323702
>>34323744
They are the Olympian Clay guns so they don't come very fancy most of the time but focus on fit of the gun
>>
>>34322948
how do i get better at busting clays? i shot 2 boxes yesterday and the best i got was 7 in a row. its like 35c a shot, thats sort of expensive to miss more than 50%
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.