[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Semi-auto vs full-auto

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: m4.jpg (108KB, 1800x750px) Image search: [Google]
m4.jpg
108KB, 1800x750px
Why does our military's infantry only use semi-auto fire, and never burst/full-auto with their standard issue rifles?

Through ultra realistic simulation games like Project Reality, and personal experience at the range, I feel like leaving the rifle at full-auto is good for any target under 150meters, because then I can have the choice between firing off one shot, a short burst, or a long burst, whereas leaving it on semi would limit me to one shot only.
>>
If enemy were to suddenly pop up and surprise me, I'd want my gun to be on auto. Same if I'm clearing out rooms.
>>
>>34318742
More accurate fire and not as much of a waste of ammo. Full auto doesn't have much of a use for infantryman with an m4
>>
>>34318742
Semi auto is so that your grunt FNGs can actually hit someone

Full auto is a waste of ammo and worst case scenario friendly fire fuck up
>>
Friendly reminder, full auto is shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyTCb3kG2BQ
>>
>Through ultra realistic simulation games like Project Reality
Yeah I'm sure those perfectly recreate the military experience you washout fruitcake.
>>
I think it's harder to control your grip to fire a single shot in full-auto in real life.
>>
File: IMG_2946.jpg (25KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2946.jpg
25KB, 600x600px
Sure is good to know that you know what's best the military, time to fire those thousands of really smart people who make decisions about stuff.
>>
>>34318742
all what others already said, and if you want high volume fire just tap it quickly, you gain same effect than with full-auto without wasting as much ammo
>>
>>34318806
That's more of an issue with having to move the selector 180 degrees on an AR style weapon to get from safe to auto. Not all selectors are like that.
>>
>>34318742
Full-auto is for emergencies only. A combat load is between 300-400 rounds, and even on burst fire, a full mag of 5.56 gives you just ten engagement opportunities.

SAW bursts, according to doctrine, should be five to seven rounds. Anything less just isn't effective enough from a statistical standpoint. You only get six engagement opportunities (at most) with the same burst pattern with an AR.

Modern small arms combat relies on focused and maintained suppression from the rifles, while the support weapons are relied upon to produce the greater number of casualties (Grenadiers, machine gun teams, and DMs).

In the context of utility, the rifleman is the pawn of today's battlefield; hardly useless, but his real value lies in enabling your knights and bishops to take out targets of opportunity. Making every rifleman an auto-rifleman undermines the effectiveness of the modern infantry unit.

Video games rarely implement logistical simulations, so they're not going to convey just how quickly you'll burn through ammo and how arduous the resupply process can be. Don't forget that in meatspace, military ball ammo isn't the pinnacle of modern accuracy; you'll hit your targets more often in a video game, compared to real life.
>>
>>34320568
>300-400 rounds
Is it really that much?
>>
File: 1496887080860.jpg (110KB, 540x592px) Image search: [Google]
1496887080860.jpg
110KB, 540x592px
>>34320626
Our combat ration was 180 rounds. Troops are usually issued with two rations of ammo at any time.
>>
>>34320682
Where do you keep it? In your backpack? I thought what was in the chest rig was everything you had.
>>
>>34320693
Not him but 7 mags, 210 rounds is bare minimum.
>>
related article
https://www.smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=2161

>SAR: Did you fire just predominantly full-auto with the AK74?
>Andrei: Yes, predominantly yes, although towards the end of the fire contact you would switch to single rounds, because depending upon how much return fire you were getting you would try and save rounds because you don’t know what may come next. But in the initial fire contact you need to unleash everything you’ve got full automatic with long bursts to suppress their will to fight. That was the usual exercise.
>SAR: How long were your bursts at initial contact?
>Andrei: You would put five or six rounds through, but as you know only one or two rounds will hit where you’re aiming and the rest will go elsewhere. They teach you that the best possible rate of fire is two to three rounds at the count of “twenty-two” and they teach you that at basic training. Depress the trigger when you say “twenty” and release it when you say “two.” “Twenty-two” and two rounds will go off, rarely three rounds will go off.
>>
>>34318806

Go away ATF

Full auto is good for ensuring maximum deadness, but is best at close ranges and does blow through ammo pretty quick. Also, full autos using a small caliber are controllable and stand a much better chance of killing your target than if they were semi because of their lead-spamming abilities (American 180 vs 10/22).Semi auto is good for longer ranges and conserving ammo, so it's understandable that an army would want people to use semi more than full
>>
File: 52345.jpg (6KB, 372x136px) Image search: [Google]
52345.jpg
6KB, 372x136px
>>34318806
http://www.defensereview.com/geissele-automatics-high-speed-selector-drop-in-spring-loaded-45-degree-instant-onoff-ambi-ambidextrous-full-auto-ar-selector-switch-and-super-select-fire-ssf-full-auto-trigger-kit-for-more-hits/
>Well, about a year ago, the United States Marine Corps (USMC) gunner community approached Bill Geissele about a selector switch issue they were having on their guns (M4 Carbines). Basically, they’ve been getting a 40% hit rate in the semi-auto-fire mode on moving targets exposed for 2.2 seconds while moving at 10 mph at a distance of 50-150 yards, and it was taking too long to flip the happy switch over to full-auto, where they can get 60% hits, which is a whopping 50% improvement.
And this is with shitty gun that has twice recoil of AK-74.
>muzzle brakes when?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.