[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

45 for camping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

File: SR45.jpg (89KB, 585x342px) Image search: [Google]
SR45.jpg
89KB, 585x342px
I'm looking into picking up a reasonably priced, rugged .45ACP, either a used SR45 or a new G21 (can't find them used anywhere at my lgs or local pawn shops) so take with me as an anti-cougar/black bear gun while hike/camp in the CO rockies. Is it really worth it to bite the bullet, and save the money to pick up a G21? Or, for my purpose, would the SR do the trick? What are your thoughts and opinions on this /k/?
>>
File: IMG_20170618_164237_5_BURST006.jpg (1MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170618_164237_5_BURST006.jpg
1MB, 4608x3456px
Fellow COfag, get a .357 or .44 revolver.
>>
>>34314994
Do I really need a .357 for black bear? I've seen them in the wild twice, and they are no where near as large or intimidating as your average /k/omrade makes them out to be.

If you really do suggest a .357 or a .44 revolver, which would you recommend for the budget minded?
>>
File: XD45Mod2SubCompactFlatDarkEarth.png (886KB, 1200x909px) Image search: [Google]
XD45Mod2SubCompactFlatDarkEarth.png
886KB, 1200x909px
>>34314888
I love my SR9C and SR40C
But, the SR45 trigger bar bangs the case and causes an occasional FTF
Pic is on my current shopping list
>>
>>34314888
monitoring this thread, also looking for woods bear/cougar/moose last resort gun

>hear rumors that even glock20 is not reliable
>tfw literally no polymer 10mm on the market that actually works

Must I carry heavy steel up that mountain? goddamit.

Open to being convinced .45 is enough though.
>>
>>34314888
Black bear and cougar aren't usually problem animals but if they come at you then they'll be trying to kill/eat you and it's all going to go down in a 1-2s.

.45 isn't considered enough for either. A rifle is a MUCH MUCH better choice.

If you have to carry a handgun then go with a .357 mag or 10mm. If you refuse to listen to reason then at least get some underwood/buffalo bore FN ammo meant for the task.
>>
>>34315256
45 isn't enough though

Just go 357 or 44
>>34315064
>Budget minded
Get a used ruger gp100. 44 will be too expensive to shoot for you, buffalo bore makes some sweet hard cast 180 grain pills that will make short work of mountain lions or black bear.
>>
>>34315299
I'll look around for a used gp100. Thanks /k/omrade!
>>
>>34315064
Not him but Ruger security sixs can be had for 400-450 most places. Great revolvers too.
>>
Get a 45-70.
>>
>>34315299
>44 will be too expensive to shoot for you
Sig Elite V-Crown at basspro for easy lookup
.357 mag $17.99
.44 mag $22.49
>poorfag has been found
Understand OP can afford camping in the Rockies
Your attempt to save OP $4.50 is pointless
Fucking morons that think it takes a small business loan to shoot 44
>>
>>34315484
>comparing cost per round between two higher end rounds instead of what the cheap stuff goes for to determine which round is cheaper to shoot
>not going to ammoseek.com
>not comparing the cheapest brass cased non reman ammo therein
>not realizing that .44spc is ~40-80% more expensive per round for plinking than .38spc

I mean why would anyone want to be able to train 40-80% more with a gun that their life might depend on
>>
>ironically using revolvers or lever guns to hit something running 40mph towards you while you are shitting your pants
>>
>>34315552
fuck, I meant unironically
>>
>>34315256
>must i carry muh heavy steel

No, your weak ass doesnt deserve it. Enjoy your plastishit with its ever expanding moa as it heats up
>>
>>34314888
>.45
Lmao good luck penetrating any barriers or hitting a moving Target when you're shooting at sub-800fps dumbfuck.

If you think .45 is anything but an outdated meme range toy you're a fucking imbicile, 45faggots are like toddlers who can only see "BIG BULLET GOOD" and you don't know shit about ballistics or how hydrostatic shock works. You realize that it was made like 150 years ago when people didn't know shit about how to make bullets right?

And don't get me started on 1911s. 45fudds are worse than revolverfags, do you know any military that uses fuddyfive anymore? No? Yeah there's a reason for that, it's because its a hillbilly round and has fucking shit capacity, velocity and takes at least 4 seconds to ever get a *decent* follow-up shot.

Honestly I get it, really I do, you get pee-pee hard whenever you shoot your "big bullet" meme gun, at da range with Bubba but it's not viable for any serious use (self defense, animal defense, special forces etc.) so stop acting like it. this isn't a game, you're not on grandpa Bill's ranch, this is real life so how about you grow up and start acting like it. YEEEHAWW.

I hate you fuds so god damn much
>>
>>34314888
I'D sell you my SR45 if you lived in CA.
>>
>>34315537
>comparing cost per round between two higher end rounds instead of what the cheap stuff goes for to determine which round is cheaper to shoot
OP is looking for a defensive round
Not shit white box range garbage
Get a fucking clue
>>
>>34315484
camping in the rockies is free if you live near the rockies.
>>
>>34315611
>if
ffs at least try
>>
>>34315256
Glock 20 is less reliable than other Glocks but thousands of hunters still trust it as their emergency gun on a trek. I really would trust a mostly-reliable gun in a useful caliber than a totally-reliable gun in a useless one. Tanfos are considered excellent, all things considered, as well. You have to keep in mind this is all relative, only the Bren Ten has been truly made around 10mm, and it was a piece of shit, so 10mm guns are generally less reliable but that doesn't mean they end up failing most of the time. Just trust the generally good reputations of these guns if you really want a polymer pistol in a game-lethal caliber. You have to make a concession somewhere, better on the gun than the bullet.
>>
>>34315627
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>34315590
are you actually retarded?

Seriously, do you only practice with defensive rounds? do you think other people do that? do you think that most of the cost associated with carrying a firearm for SD isn't practice ammo costs? OP is looking for a defensive gun not a defensive round recommendation.
>>
>>34314888
get a tiny 12 gauge shotgun and use the $250 you save for some buckshot and a nice leather back holster.
>>
>>34315567
>No, your weak ass doesnt deserve it. Enjoy your plastishit with its ever expanding moa as it heats up
This entire post is so wrong, I don't know where to start.
>weak ass
It's funny, because the glock 20 is the most reliable 10mm ever made. The rest seriously suck. I know, I've shot them. It's why I don't use 10mm. It just doesn't have the support it needs to be viable, except for niches I don't care about like pistol bear defence.

>ever expanding moa
It is a pistol. Do you understand what MOA is and what it measures? Do you understand that MOA is relevent for marksmanship, as in long range marksmanship, not combat or defensive shooting, and certainly not bear defense with a pistol?

>as it heats up
Do you not know that steel does this too, and worse, since it retains heat longer? Also, that it is completely a nonfactor unless you are magdumping, reloading, magdumping, reloading, magdumping?

It has been decades since the world realized polymer pistols are superior to metal framed ones. It is time to accept it. I know it's hard. I'm guilty too. I own all metal pistols actually, because I am weak and like them. But there is no practical reason for them, only sentimental ones. You have to accept this if you want to do anything more than shitpost lies.
>>
File: 1497330785598.jpg (46KB, 362x460px) Image search: [Google]
1497330785598.jpg
46KB, 362x460px
>>34314888
>Implying literally any round isn't good enough for black bears
black bears are just pussy ass dog sized racoons. You could start tapping it with a .22 and it would run.
I've been camping with 9mm my whole life and it is completely capable. Cougars and black bears don't want to fight. 1 round will wound and scare it if it doesn't kill outright, 2 will dispatch it for good.
Why are fudds such cancer on this board?
>>
>>34315640
>do you only practice with defensive rounds
20 rounds of defensive EVERY time i go to the range
because it better fucking feed when i need it most
then shit box ammo for the rest of the hour
>>
>>34315660
>do you even into moa definition
yes its minutes of angle
>pistols dont need no marksmanship
Shit shot detected, i shoot quarter sized groups at 25 yards, 5" groups at 100 with my two favorite pistols
>dont need accuracy for bear defence
except for the fact that you need to put your rounds right down the bears nostrils if you're going to attempt putting down a large bear with a pistol.
>muh glock
bitch please, you need a 1911 if you want stoppin power
>steel gets hot too
yeah, but steel has to get a fuck of a lot hotter than poly in order to get squishy, not only that when steel gets hot it expands, so your slide will be working on tighter tolerances instead of fucking jello-plastic.
>>
>>34315575

I'm 100% certain that you could have conveyed these opinions with fewer words and less emotions.
>>
>>34315064
>for black bear
nigger you don't need anything, black bears are pussies. just don't go starting shit with their chilluns and you'll be fine. grizzlies are the real problem
>>
>>34315659

>back holster

Sling is best.
>>
>>34315753
So what you're saying is that you fire almost entirely non defensive ammo, so the .357 would even in your case be significantly cheaper to become proficient with and maintain proficiency with?
>>
>>34315863
>So what you're saying is that you fire almost entirely non defensive ammo, so the .357 would even in your case be significantly cheaper to become proficient with and maintain proficiency with?
I don't speak Yoda
>>
>>34314888
I didn't realize how nice Ruger handguns looked before.
>>
I haven't seen how the SR45 stacks up to the American 45. The SR was great in 40 but if this is true >>34315128 then I'd go to something like the PPQ instead. A 40/45 is fine for cougars or wolves but you want something more potent for the bears unless you have amazing aim like that ranger that killed a charging grizzly with a 9mm to the head.
>>
>>34314888
I went to the range shooting with my buddy and his SR45. After every shot the mag would get kicked out of the magwell. Sent it in to Ruger and they said they couldn't replicate the problem. We went to the range again and took video of 3 of us shooting it and it happened with all of us. My buddy gave up on that pistol. Its too bad as I really like my GP100 and will probably be getting the Ruger American Pistol at some point.

Anyway, I did some research and it sounds like those SR45s were hit or miss for dropping the mag after each shot.
>>
>>34315575
You're not wrong, you're just an asshole.
>>
What do you guys think about a gun with a 5 or 6 inch barrel in 40 for black bears? There's some hungry ass ones and some momma bears where I live and I wanna upgrade from 380 without going up to a revolver.
>>
>>34314888
There is literally no reason to use .45 ACP for your stated purpose. Either .40 S&W or 10mm will give you more power and magazine capacity.
>>
>>34315256
Anecdotal, but my G20 works fine and you can get a G21 slide and barrel for ~$300
>>
>>34315256
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wzh16zi55G0

ONLY RIGHT ANSWER
>>
>>34316908

Also, this or 10mm? I kinda wanna put a suppressor on it too because I'll be in big ass open fields and can spot wild hungry animals far away, draw time doesn't matter.
>>
>>34316985
>>34316908

Shit maybe even .357 sig, so many options these days
>>
>>34314888
How much work are you willing to do to the gun?
If you go the Glock 21 route you could do a barrel and recoil spring swap and run 45 super, which would get you around 1300 fps for a 200 gr pill, and still be able to cycle +p regular 45 acp .
Now some guys have gotten away with only swapping springs but the catch is the lack of chamber support in factory Glock barrels, you might see 'smiley' case bulges which could cause extraction problems or god forbid you blow up your gun, I wouldn't risk it.
If you hand-load or trust remanufactured ammo, starline makes dedicated 45 super brass, which has a thicker case web and might be able to make up for lacking chamber support.
You could also look into a drop in 460 Rowland kit and end up with what amounts to a 13+1 44 mag. I would recommend stronger magazine springs for reliable cycling if you go that route.
>>
>>34314888

Buy a fucking 1911 you faggot.
>>
>>34315575
>>34316854
>>
File: alienpepe.jpg (8KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
alienpepe.jpg
8KB, 228x221px
>>34315575
Chill out autist. I own 2 9mms (I'm still working on building up my arsenal) and I'm also saving up so I can build my own decent AR.
>>
>>34316733
>>34316733
This. My SR45 started dropping the magazine with the factory mags after a couple hundred rounds. New magazine held in place.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.