[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Modern Role of Submach

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0136.jpg (150KB, 1200x504px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0136.jpg
150KB, 1200x504px
Do submachine guns have any practical use in modern times? Specifically for military operations, self-defense, civil security, or police use, etc.
>>
>>34314694
If they were cheap and easy to obtain, self defense for civilians would probably be the primary market, police units being the second place.
>>
>>34314713
What I meant to ask better was how submachine guns compare to modern short-barreled carbines for civil or military use.
>>
>>34314859
Meh. They're good because pistol ammo is cheap, and compatible with your CC gun.

The raise most people will tell you to just get a carbine.
>>
File: mp7.jpg (52KB, 736x429px) Image search: [Google]
mp7.jpg
52KB, 736x429px
this is the final evolution of the submachine gun. Full size submachine guns, like the MP5 are obsolete, because carbines are about the same size, and just outperform them in every way. Also their cartridges are pretty impotent against body armour.

The Mp7, however is considerably smaller, to the point where something like a tank crewmen, helicopter pilot, or infantrymen carrying a considerably heavy CSW like a javelin would prefer to have it, and it has a bullet that is actually pointed so it isn't useless against a plate. Weak, yes, but not useless.
>>
>>34314938
>because carbines are about the same size,
theyre really not, a C8 is significantly larger in every dimension than an MP5

the only saving is on weight but only because MP5s are from an era where people refused to make anything military out of plastic. i bet a modern-made one with plastic furniture and aluminum parts would weigh significantly less than a C8.
>>
>>34314859
>civil
good for police since they're light and easy to carry, and the department can just fuck around with buying only one kind of ammo if they finangle their inventory right. most people not being armored means >muh 9mm (or other pistol cartridge) is not an issue. probably overkill though since it's not the police's job to murder people in the street with automatic weapons

>military
small caliber rounds arent good for range or defeating armor, and modern warfare features a lot of long ranges and guys who like to wear armor
>>
>>34314938
The MP7 is junk, P90 is superior
>>
File: scar vs p90.jpg (45KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
scar vs p90.jpg
45KB, 480x480px
>>34315085
>i bet a modern-made one with plastic furniture and aluminum parts would weigh significantly less than a C8.
can it be built with those parts even? It's a straight blowback closed bolt operating weapon. Doesn't that create a lot of pressure in the receiver? The Mp7 is a piston operated system on the other hand.
>>34315153
whatever, same design philosophy. The P90 is somewhat bigger, to the point where you might just say fuck it and get a carbine. Compare the size of the SCAR carbine with its stock folded a p90.
>>
>>34315208
>can it be built with those parts even?
I was referring more to the furniture and anything else that's not directly involved in the action, but
>It's a straight blowback closed bolt operating weapon.
i bet the bolt could be made out of milled aluminum, maybe not the whole receiver but it's stamped anyway so who even cares

>p90
a p90 is basically already a carbine imo: 5.7×28mm versus 5.56×45mm. Smaller, but not by all that much, and it's a pretty high velocity round. Get a PS90 and it may as well be a proper rifle
>>
>>34315314
In straight blowback, the bolt needs to be heavy in order to keep the cartridge from coming out of the chamber before the pressure drops to safe levels. An aluminum bolt would have to be the same weight, and three times the size to work correctly in straight blowback.

Of course, it doesn't need to be straight blowback. Delayed blowback like the Mp5 can have a bolt group that is a fraction of the weight, because it uses leverage to increase the effective inertia of the bolt mass. Or some sort of short recoil action could be used.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.