[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Making IWB holster more comfortable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

File: 1497721639455.png (510KB, 2199x1258px) Image search: [Google]
1497721639455.png
510KB, 2199x1258px
Anyone have any good tips on making iwb carry more comfortable?

I use an alien gear cloak tuck 3.0 with my shield and I can't find a good way to make it not bug the hell out of me.This is my 3rd iwb holster with the same issue.

Is a different holster like stealth gear more comfortable?

I can't keep my pants up, so I tighten my belt, but then that hurts like hell and digs into my sides, so I back off a little but then the gun feels like it's sagging and shifting too much.

I carry at 4-4:30. I like to wear my pants right at my actual waistlime, not high like an old man. It's summer and hot as hell, so tons of layers isn't an option. I have a little bit a love handle fat I'm working on getting rid of, but I'm not overweight.

Ideas?
>>
>>34312200

Get a better belt. It should be tight, not as tight as you explained. Some belts will even have a kydex insert inside the belt, just to give it extra stiffness.
>>
>>34312200
1. get a better belt
Like a belt specifically made for ccw
2. get a better holster
get something not so huge like a galco or something
3. suspenders
>>
https://www.amazon.com/BLACKHAWK-40IP06CT-TecGrip-Holster-Coyote/dp/B01AV4O9RO/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1496450259&sr=8-10&keywords=blackhawk+TecGrip

Not trolling. Fuck all you tryhards. No other holster adds less bulk than this style. The grippy material ensures it stays put and doesn't come out with the gun on the draw like the older clip styles can. If you're gonna be doing super sweaty things get a Remora holster with a full sweat shield.

https://www.remoraholsterstore.com/
>>
I have two pretty good gun belts. An alien gear and a Hanks stitched. I don't really know if the belts are the issue
>>
>>34312317
Is it really only secured by friction? Yet somehow doesn't drop into pants ever?
>>
>>34312581
The holster material grips skin/fabric whatever. It doesn't move unless you move it.
>>
>>34312672
I will add that the downside of this or the remora holster is you will not be re-holstering one handed. Not an issue for me as I carry AIWB so the gun and the holster only go in my pants as a unit.
>>
>>34312200
Bumping for interest, this EXACT same shit happens to me
>>
>>34312200
I'm guessing your carry gun is 3 lbs or more. I've learned a few things while trying to hide a commander 1911 for a year and a half. I was only able to make things comfortable by getting the weight of the gun above my pelvis, so that the weight rested on my skeleton in some manner. You can try different positions around your hip to find what works. Personally, I've found that just forward of 3:00 works well for me and gives me a workable balance of concealment and weight bearing, which hides under a t-shirt if allowed slight printing that doesn't look like an obvious gun. I am also skinnyfat.

The old wisdom of "dress around the gun or pick the gun to match your dress" does apply, hence the market for pistols like the LCP. People do regularly carry different pistols at different times because they aren't always at liberty to dress around a mid or full sized pistol, or even have holster clips showing on their belt.
>>
>>34312200
Dumb question for you, OP. Do you wear an undershirt while carrying?
>>
>>34312200
Get a better belt, it will make a world of difference.

I bought a good Beltman brand belt and carrying is a lot more comfortable with it than my previous belts. Well worth the cost.
>>
>>34312878
Not always. Depends on the weather and occasion. As I mentioned it's hot as shit here right now 88+ degrees everyday, so mostly wearing cutoffs, tank tops, or light weight t shirts if I'm just out and about, running errands etc.

If I go out to eat or somewhere that requires me to look a little more civilized, then I'll wear an undershirt with a button up and the comfort level of carrying that way goes up, but I can't see dressing that way all the time everywhere I go.
>>
Bump for other ideas?
Maybe comfier pants or underwear options you've felt to help alleviate pressure/annoyances?
>>
>>34312200
Kydex iwb holsters are a meme brought to you by glockfags who would otherwise risk shooting themselves every time they holster their gun. Get a soft nylon holster with a thumb strap for maximum comfy, and a gun not designed to shoot you in the leg aka something with a safety.
>>
>>34312924
Try wearing an undershirt, tucked in behind your holster, every time you go out. It will definitely help with the irritating factor. I IWB a 4" 686+ (probably because I'm an idiot, but whatever), and an undershirt helps fix the metal against skin feeling.

As for your belt being too tight, sounds like you need a better belt.
>>
>>34312200
Is your gat digging into your love handles?
>>
>>34313927
Also, have you tried moving the holster to a different position?
>>
>>34312200
Personaly I think hybrid holsers are uncomfortable. I have an alien gear, hate it. I have a don hume h715 for my glock 26 it is ok but i prefer to have a little cant. Snd some retention. So i went full kydex got a concealment express. I like it a lot. I set my retention kind of high, but i dont have to worry anout the gun falling out or becoming loose in the holster. After sitting down.
>>
>>34313941
This. moving from 4:00 to 5:00 felt so much better.
>>
File: 4.png (407KB, 595x573px) Image search: [Google]
4.png
407KB, 595x573px
>>34313927
Not really no. Its sits nicely along my body and above where my side fat concentration is
>>34313941
Yes, but my current holster, the cloak tuck 3.0 is too bulky for me at 3:00 and everywhere else just pissing me off sitting down which I why i don't want to even try appendix again
>>34314301
I think 5 is a tad too far back for me. I don't like the grip of the gun contacting the middle of my spine. I've tried it and though it sits fairly comfortable standing up, I don't feel as comfortable drawing.
>>
>>34314275
That's what I'm starting to wonder if it's just the large size of the hybrid holster that's bothering me and how it contacts my body like essentially from hip, to the middle of my back. I'm not a huge guy so I'm feeling it against me in pretty much 25% of my waistline.

I switched to the wider, double clip hybrid style though because it gave me better support and weight distribution and less of the side poking of an all kydex holster, so those are the advantages for me of the hybrid.
>>
>>34314485
You're describing everything I went through over 21 years of CCW. I tried straight leather. I tried straight kydex. I tried hybrid. They all add too much bulk to be very comfortable or very concealable. All nylon for me unless I'm exercising and then I break out the Remora with full sweat shield. It's as close as you can get to mexican carry without worrying about the gun sliding out of position.
>>
>>34314540
Aside from remora, any suggestions for specific IWB nylon holster you've had good luck with?
>>
>>34314580
I started out with the original version of the Blackhawk holster that had a belt clip. After seeing how well the Remora does with staying in place with no clip now I use the tecgrip version linked here: >>34312317

G19 BTW. Depending on the gun you might need a different size.
>>
Not Op but is there some trick to drawing from an IWB holster?
I just got a Clinger Wonder holster and when I have it on, I can not get my pistol out at all.
If I reach around my back with my left hand it comes out fine.
>>
>>34314788
Sometimes with kydex and the way it retains the gun with the dimple in the trigger guard it can be hard to pull out if you are applying pressure in any direction other than straight out. You can heat up the holster and then shove your gun in and out to loosen it up a bit or you can figure out what angles it doesn't like and train yourself not to draw that way. One more thing I don't like about kydex holsters.
>>
>>34312200
your problem sounds like you're using a cheap walmart belt. Get a good one made for concealed carry.

Seriously, it makes all the difference.
>>
>>34314873
Belt fags make me laugh. With IWB all you need is a belt that is wide enough and to wear it tight enough. It's not fucking magic that requires you to spend $100. Especially since you're IWB I'll assume you have a a cover garment so no one can see your fucking belt anyway.

Here's what I use. It's cheap, wide and stiff.

https://www.amazon.com/Spec-Ops-Brand-Better-1-5-Inch-Black/dp/B004WA8N8K/ref=sr_1_6?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1422408414&sr=1-6&keywords=bdu+belt
>>
>>34312200
>>34312361
>>34312735
Get on the treadmill fatty
>>
>>34314873
I'm using two $60+ belts one with a steel core (alien gear), and one with double thick leather and double stitching (Hanks), neither Walmart/Wrangler-tier both designed as gunbelts for ccw. Neither belt bends with holster and gun on it, so again I don't think the belt quality is to blame. Maybe the belt hole positioning sucks, but the belts don't sag from the gun weight at all.
>>
File: 1495988878453.jpg (40KB, 323x412px) Image search: [Google]
1495988878453.jpg
40KB, 323x412px
>>34314936
I think every guy on here has a bit of back fat. Pic related is you fuckboi
>>
>>34314977
I have a bit if pudge but not enough for my gun to bother me
>>
Have you tried AIWB?

A JM Custom or Dark Star or something similar should disappear and be comfortable. I AIWB a G34 now in a JMC and it's more than manageable - I used to carry a PPQ in the same position (also JMC) and it was straight-up tits.
>>
I had this problem with the same setup, alien gear 3.0 hanks belt and a G19 switching to 3oclock helped loads, at times an under shirts needed but thats to be expected with Gen 4 texturing and a longer grip
>>
>>34314851
So its not just me who has these problems. Thats good to know.
I'll try messing around with it more and see if I can find a good angle.
>>
File: IMG_0351.jpg (350KB, 942x1270px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0351.jpg
350KB, 942x1270px
I've been concealed carrying a Glock 19 for about 4 months and I've finally got it comfortable. Here's what I learned

1.an undershirt is a must. Get a good one too. $25 bucks for an underarmour tank top feels like a lot but it's worth it. it reduces the shifting and the digging sensation by a longshot.

2.Don't be afraid to dress like a faggot. This is one of my carry outfits. Where I live it's windy 24/7 so a buttondown is pretty much mandatory. Wear baggy, loose fitting clothes that prioritize comfort and concealment. The less fashionable you are the less likely you are to get robbed anyway so NEET it up.

3.adjust positions until you find one that works. I carry 3-3:30 and pull my pants up just above my hips.

4.Don't worry about it. The gun will shift, it will occasionally dig in to your thigh or your ass cheek or your leg, if you position it right it won't do it often but it will happen. You'll be convinced that you're printing like mad but you aren't. Stop touching it.

I'm not even using a hybrid holster. I'm using a Blue Line Concealment Kydex holster and don't have a gunbelt yet. So if I can do it you can too.
>>
>>34314936
I'm a 32 inch waist
>>34315663
I have been working on adjusting my dress for a little bit now. Prior to carrying I pretty much just wore basketball shorts and fairly snug fitting t's. The wardrobe adjustment is a slow but steady process.

Seeing as how my 4 o'clock carry eventually bothers me after an hour or so, I think I will start trying some other positions.

The one thing that does worry me is after I sit then stand every now and again I'll catch my shirt kind of bunched up on the holster and I just have to adjust.
>>
>>34314275
>Personaly I think hybrid holsers are uncomfortable. I have an alien gear, hate it.
Alien gears a bad reference for all hybrid holsters. alien gear is entry level mediocre the quality is acceptable for that price range but at the same time is shit compared to more expensive hybrid options.
>>
File: diagram.jpg (22KB, 297x521px) Image search: [Google]
diagram.jpg
22KB, 297x521px
>>34315663
Your quality of life would significantly improve if you used a thicker, sturdier belt. Think of how you felt after getting an undershirt, but way better.

>>34316323
I am a fat guy. If you wear your pants at your actual waist, which means if you're really fat wearing it over your gut, you should have no problem carrying in this position. Standing, sitting, etc. are all relatively comfortable. There are some uncomfortable positions like kneeling/bending straight over, but that's life. 4 o'clock is a lot more comfortable when it comes to range-of-motion, but I think the simplicity of an appendix draw more than makes up for any potential benefits of 4 o'clock.
>>
>>34312200
Try closer to 3, maybe a little back from that. I have a PPS M2 in the same holster, it doesn't bother me too much. I want to try other holsters to see if I can improve it, the N8 squared tactical products look nice, might to you too.

I also bought a pocket holster and it's far and away the easiest. I know it's not the fastest draw, but for absolute concealment and for comfort I haven't found anything better. The Shield is pretty small so depending on what clothes you wear it might be worth trying. Before I carried I thought it was silly, now I get it.
>>
File: G26-AIWB-REV-CLIPPED600.png (357KB, 602x604px) Image search: [Google]
G26-AIWB-REV-CLIPPED600.png
357KB, 602x604px
Here's an idea and you guys can tell me if it's retarded.
As I mentioned earlier, I like the hybrid for the soft back (compared to all kydex) and the weight distribution of two spread out clips.

What I don't like is the bulkiness and how it pretty much takes up a quarter of my waist line.

Would it work to use a holster that designed more for appendix carry that has two clips and wear it at 3 or 4 o'clock?
>>
https://raven-concealment-systems1.mybigcommerce.com/vanguard-2-holster-basic-kit/
>>
File: important.videos.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
important.videos.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
>>34314902
>>>34314873
>Belt fags make me laugh
>heres a link to a mall ninja belt
>>
>>34315663
>I dress like shit for a tactical advantage
your quality of life will rise incrementally if you gain some self respect and stop dressing like a 14 year old boy.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.