[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is a break barrel air rifle the best survival weapon ever in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: Screenshot_20170620-125417.jpg (277KB, 1375x993px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170620-125417.jpg
277KB, 1375x993px
Is a break barrel air rifle the best survival weapon ever in a SHTF situation? I'm talking about a break barrel big calibre air rifle (.30 and .25)
Let's look at the stats
>accurate and deadly to 50yds
>silent
>can kill medium game with no trouble
>pellets no black powder/explosives is needed
>can be used in personal defence more than capable of killing a person
>ammo costs pennies per shot
>easily can carry 1000 shots without it being too heavy
>>
Probably not deadly at 50 yards to somebody wearing clothes or armor. Unless like a neck/headshot
>>
>>34310262
What's the propulsion mech for this air rifle? CO2? Cartridges are unobtanium after you use em up. HPA? Compressor maintenance is real. Pump? You get one shot then youre stuck pumping 30 or so times for a follow up. Spring? All the spring-plunger airguns I've seen are rather anemic.
>>
>>34310319
most break action airrifles are piston operated, bu the image itself clearly says "gas piston"
>>
In an actual SHTF situation like
>earthquake
>tsunami
>your home is on fire
Weapons would be your LEAST concern. You would mostly be worried about shit like.
>if I stay put will I die?
>where is my family?
>I'm cold I need shelter.
>I'm thirsty, hungry, and dirty
>I fucking lost my meds
>I think someone stole my shit. Should I steal shit too?
>Where am I supposed to go?
>>
I agree anon. With a plastic stock and back up irons with a scope, this type of rifle would be good for survival.
>>
>>34310297
50yds could kill with a headshot or the chest on a human easily its still going 500-650fps at 50yds thats more than enough to break bones penetrate skin and cause severe damage people kill hogs out to 50yds with chest shots an unarmoured person would be an easy kill
>>
>>34310369
Why plastic? For lower weight or just easier maintenance?
>>
>>34310352
Economic collapse? Break down of society nuclear war ect ect many situations could happen I hope none of them do but always be prepared amigo
>>
>>34310262
>>your home is on fire
>>where is my family
>>I fucking lost my meds
Kek burned your house down lost your family all because you lost your meds who the fuck needs meds you tard
>>
>>34310447
I doubt any ,of this I have .22 break barrel($100) and it just dents a tin can 50 feet.
>>
>>34310476
.22 isn't as powerful as a .25 or a .30 also a .22 at 50yds will easily kill a rabbit depending upon the power of the air rifle usually ones at 15ftlbs will kill at 50yds but that would be a maximum distance you can get .22 springers up to 30-40ft lbs of energy
>>
>>34310262

>silent

if it is supersonic (which serious ones are) it's definitely not silent
>>
Airguns are awesome. And fill certain niches very nicely.

During WWI and WWII we stopped selling primers and powders to civilians. Everything went to the armed forces. So 4 years buying no ammo could put a crimp in your style. Airguns would let you keep practicing and put squirrels and rabbits in the stewpot. If you look at the food situation in other countries during WWII, an extra 300 calories a day could make a big difference. An airgun would let you keep small game hunting even with ammo dried up. When you're out of pellets you're fairly well fucked but they're much cheaper to stockpile.

If you are looking at killing things larger than Raccoons, you're really looking at .25 PCPs. Honestly not a bad choice. Theoretically possible to cast lead balls small enough to keep it running even if you can't get pellets. Larger than that...eh...I'm unconvinced. At that point just start making your own blackpowder.
>>
>>34310750
No serious air rifle shoots supersonic. Pellets going supersonic then transonic become seriously unstable, rendering shit accuracy. All competitive air rifles, used in HFT, hunting, long distance shooting (100+ metres) shoot in the 850fps to 980fps range, regardless of calibre. In general, one should try not to be completely full of shit when posting on the internet.
>>
File: op.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
op.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>34310262

>silent

You've clearly not used a high powered one how have?

Next thing you'll say is all bows are "silent" too.

>>34310750
Ahahhahahah
pls see
>>34310998

> but anon, you just suggested the same thing

The piston powered air guns have a distinct sound you can hear from a decent distance away, akin to a bow's "pop" , now, there are some that are fairly quiet but not having personal experience with that particular rifle, and the fact on /k/ i'm gonna point laugh anyways.
>>
>>34310750
No 30cal springer is going to be supersonic. That's only about 550fps, but the muzzle energy is pretty intense.
The spring is probably going to generate more noise than anything on that 30cal.
>>
I have a spring piston rifle, and it is very consistent and reliable, much of it rebuilt/reconfigured by me for lower weight, more power, and better accuracy. But in a SHTF situation I'd go for my PCP, which I also rebuilt extensively. I know both rifles intimately but the PCP gives me more power and better precision while also shooting more quietly when suppressed. A good pump is necessary, but I have an FX so that's taken care of - the thing's lasted five years and is probably due for a new set of seals... which I have on hand, so no big deal. Same goes for seals with the PCP, always have spares, along with the expertise to maintain it.
>>
>>34311373
Will a pcp last 20/30 years?
>>
>>34310998
.30 cal and .25 calibre springers are usually under the speed of sound
>>
>>34311300
You can be 5yds away from someone shooting an air rifle and you wouldn't know they are there if someone poked a barrel out of a window and hit someone in a street 30+yds away they wouldn't hear anything
>>
>>34312032
Oh look! The ignorant idiots are finding each other. Warms the heart.
>>
File: IMG_5195.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5195.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>
>>34312032
that is not true, it makes quite the sound, you have obviously never shot an air rifle

source: me as an Hatsan rifle owner.
>>
>>34312024
unless it's unusually cold since the speed of sounds varies by temp. my 1000feet per second springer tends to go supersonic in the frost. makes quite the crack.
>>
It's fun to put a small amount of combustible gas/liquid in the cylinder of an air rifle desu. Gives you a decent boost to velocity.
>>
>>34310352
wrong thread? I don't think this is the one whose OP is "Is a break barrel air rifle preferrable to putting my head between my knees in a SHTF situation?"
>>
>>34314546
You have to really define your scenario before you can call a single weapon "best."
Generally, in protracted lawless situations, you want actual real steel firearms. In acute crises like fire or flood, you want to shed encumbrances not related to immediate survival, and your chances of any violent altercation are low (because everyone is running from the fire like you are).
This airgun would need a protracted emergency where sound is more critical than ballistic effectiveness and ammunition you can carry is important, but not so important that you'd set up a base and make your own black powder and proper munitions.
>>
>>34310262
Why not a bow or crossbow for those applications? It's probably a bit more quiet. Though if stealth is what you're going for a suppressed .22 isn't a bad option.

I have a bad taste in my mouth from those things since my gamo break barrel snapped in half from working the action.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.