[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/meg/ - Military Enlistment General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 30

Based Jody edition

>Discord
https://discord.gg/0y3eBT2ji4rHI4TM
>>The instant invite is invalid or has expired.
Replace with new Discord if know how
>IRC Channel
>implying anyone uses IRC
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

>http://www.sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

>www.defencejobs.gov.au/
For info on the Australian Defense Force, and how you can shitpost on the world stage.

>https://www.airwarriors.com/community/
Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

>Should I go nuke???
No.

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/4671253

Previous >>34291310
>>
File: 1481927261385.gif (385KB, 200x112px) Image search: [Google]
1481927261385.gif
385KB, 200x112px
Should I go nuke?
>>
>>34309542
should go kys
>>
File: nuke.png (286KB, 949x2587px) Image search: [Google]
nuke.png
286KB, 949x2587px
>>34309542
>>
Airborne (specifically 82nd) or Marines?
>>
>>34309595
Do you want to be a cool operator, or a dumb, slack-jawed grunt with a perpetual motoboner?
>>
>>34309498
I'm a bad dude, should I go SERE? The PAST standards are chump change compared to PJ anyway
>>
>Books
What are some useful books to read if joining the military, and can you say what they are useful for?
I know about the commandant's reading list, but anything else would be nice, for both tactical, strategic and other things.
I'm Australian btw, so anything more relevant to here would be extra nice

>Officers
How autistic/socially retarded can you be before they say your too fucked for an officer position.
Also how does transferring from an NCO to officer work, and when you do are you restricted to the same area as you were before (Ex. Infantry, armored, engineers)
>>
>>34309730
Sure just dont expect to succeed.
>>
>>34309851
>How autistic/socially retarded can you be before they say your too fucked for an officer position.
"How to win friends and influence people" by Dale Carnegie. Read it. If you understand what's written there and follow the advice, even clumsily, you'll be fine.
>>
>>34309982
Thanks m8
>>
>>34309498
https://discord.gg/XFQGZ actual discord link again, whoever makes the threads, replace the link this time
>>
>>34309595
Why don't you aim higher for ranger or recon?
>>
>>34309978
What do you even do in SERE? I read in Generation Kill that they tie you up and pretend to be racist hicks if you're black. I'm Mexican, so I dunno if they'll make me build a wall brick by brick or something.
>>
File: pepe.png (961KB, 1182x1370px) Image search: [Google]
pepe.png
961KB, 1182x1370px
How is life as a 35N? If I enlist into it as someone in my late 20s will I hate life?

How long is the commitment? If I already have a degree (and don't want to wait around to apply now), when could I reasonable think about dropping an OCS packet?

Also, what bonuses available? Quick ship? Ranger/Airborne?

Would this help me get a federal LEO job or just work in the IC?

Thanks much
>>
>wanted to join as combat camera
>recruiter asks me if I still want to do POG affairs later on after I sign up
I DONT WANT TO BE A SHITBIRD.
IM GOING TO GO GRUNT, FUCK IT.
>>
Do I need to choose atleast 3 MOS' at the recruiters office?
I just want to go 03 and nothing else. Do I really have to choose 2 more?
>>
>>34311885
They don't sign you up for all 3, you sign a contract for one.
>>
>want to join military because uncles did it and also really interested in military operations in training
>lol but idk lmao
the fuck am I doing with myself
>>
>>34311885
>I just want to go 03 and nothing else

Say those exact words to your recruiter and that's what you'll get.
>>
if given the choice : Air Force or Marines?
>>
File: b4a.jpg (38KB, 619x619px) Image search: [Google]
b4a.jpg
38KB, 619x619px
>>34309581
>>
Thinking about being a Coastie anons.

Anyone on the board have any information or insight if the US Coast Guard's OCS is easier to get in as a civilian or as a enlisted?
>>
>>34312195
Almost impossible as a civilian I've heard
>>
>>34312012
Air Force if you want to learn some relevant skills, or enjoy a 20 year career.

Marines if you want to grind through a 4 year enlistment, learn no relevant skills, and then brag about it for the next 40 years.
>>
>>34311998
That's good to hear.
>>
>>34312324
yeah but nogunz in air force
>>
If I go 35M, do I need to know a second language prior to enlisting, or will they take me if I have a high aptitude for learning languages?
>>
>>34312450
You want guns? Why even ask about the AF?

Join the Army. I can't ever really advocate joining the Marines.
>>
>>34312012
If you don't already WANT to be a Marine, don't join the Marines.

>>34312324
Why would you learn no relevant skills in the Marines? That depends entirely on what MOS you choose. You think infantry it the only job or something?
>>
>>34312537
Most of the relevant POG work for the Marines is done by the Navy
>>
>>34312524
Dude who wants to be 03 here

Why wont you advocate the marines?
>>
>>34312545
So no other job has any relevant skills huh?
You sound like an idiot.
Look up the MOS list.
There's plenty of shit that translate to civ jobs.
The only fields your argument might hold up with are infantry, armor, and artillery.
>>
>>34312570
>Grunts treat POG's even shittier than any other branch
>Most important POG work is done by the Navy anyways, so no real experience or training
>Extreme indoctrination which leads to an overly inflated sense of worth (seriously, I can't count how many Marines unironically think they're the equivalent of Army Rangers)
>Mostly criminals and kids fresh out of high school joining to "help turn muh life around"
>"Muhreens never steal or lie n sheeit" (as long as you ignore all the criminals that have joined lol)
>significantly lower budget than the Army, despite the fact that you do very similar work
>muh first responders/invasion force (as long as you ignore all the SOF's and possibly paratroopers that came in beforehand)
>Whenever some civvie asks if they are a soldier they smugly respond with "no, I'm a Marine"
If you want to enlist and have a job that'll give you good connections and experience for when you get out, join the Army. If you want to be extremely indoctrinated into thinking you're the most elite soldier on the planet become a Navy SEAL. If you want to be a rifleman, join the Marines. Just don't think that 3 extra weeks of BCT makes you some elite soldier.
>>
>>34312570
Not the same guy here I got nothing against marines.
But one downside for the Marines if your goal is infantry is that you don't just get to pick to be a rifleman (MOS 0311) there is a chance you get stuck with Mortar, TOW gunner, assaultman, or machinegunner. You don't have a whole lot of say, but from what I hear if you want 0311 there's a good chance you'll get it, but if you have a high (relatively) GT score and they need slots filled for assault or TOW, you'll get stuck with them.
With Army you sign an 11x contract and you'll most likely get 11b which is basic infantry, some get stuck with 11c which is mortar.
This info is only relavent for active, reserves work different.
>>
>>34309978
Cool, tell me more
>>
>>34312683
Honestly the reason why I'm choosing the marines over other branches is because I admire the extra PT and fitness dedication the Marines have. I plan on going to college with the sweet GI Bill afterwards so I don't really care about connections.

>>34312716
I don't think I'll mind being a Mortarman, tow gunner, or any of those. As long as it's 03 I'll be fine
>>
Do manlets ever make it in the Rangers?
>>
>>34309978
Can I have some source material for SERE so I can better make a decision?
>>
>>34313220

You have to be between 4 foot 10 inches to 6 foot 8 inches
>>
>>34313307
Ha okay then I'm 5'7/5'8 so I think I'll be good once I get in shape
>>
>>34313220
This info is from 2012 but apparently average size for Rangers is 69 inches (like 5'9") and 174lbs

Apparently SEALs average 5'10" 175lbs.

SOF seems to be a Manlets game.
>>
>>34313384
5'7" and 5'9" isn't manlet. Stop falling for /fit/ memes
>>
>>34313492
5'7" is pretty Manlet and 5'9" is definitely pushing it.
Average male height in the U.S. is like 5'10"
>>
>>34313552
Manlet is below 5'7" you fag. Get it right
>>
>>34311499
Stay away from "tactical" units and big units (anything that's part of a division). If you really wanna do cool guy stuff, 35N can be SOT-A in a special forces group but I think they require you to have a language and definitely need airborne school. It's hard to get into it because there's no standard way other than knowing people and requesting a PCS through branch.

35Ns are your stereotypical nerds. Even in the Intel field which is almost all nerds, 35N is the worst. If you're like me, a functional human being who can socialize, you won't have many friends that are novembers. If you like world of Warcraft and Magic the gathering you will fit right in.

I would honestly just go 35P if I could go back in time. You get to learn a language for free and for all practical purposes, they pretty much do the same shit 35N does.
>>
>>34313602
So you make the rules?
You must be 5'7" Lol
>>
>>34313625
Are you required to already know a second language of 35M, or do they teach one to you? Do you know what it's like as a Mike too?
>>
>>34313756
35P and 35M are required to go to DLI in California to learn a language inbetween basic training and advanced training, unless you pass a test proving you're proficient in another language. I knew a lot of 35Ms and they generally seemed unhappy with their jobs. Interrogations are not at all what you see in movies and on TV. There isn't much opportunity to do their job in garrison either.
>>
>>34313811
>There isn't much opportunity to do their job in garrison either.
Is this just for peacetime? I hate to sound pessimistic, but the way things are going I think we'll be at war by the time I graduate college next May so that might not be a problem for me. I do appreciate the information though. I'm still trying to weight all of my options.
>>
>>34313968
Even at war there's still units in garrison. It's not like every unit is deployed all at once. Combat arms guys obviously don't do their "job" in garrison unless you count going to the field or range. MOST POG jobs can do their job even at peace time, but not all of them. 35M can't do their job stateside, minus some special conditions. 35N and 35P CAN, but mostly only if they're in a strategic unit, as opposed to a tactical unit.

In the Intel field you have strategic units and tactical units. Strategic units do their job more, but don't deploy very much, if at all. They don't do a lot of basic soldiering in general either. Tactical Intel units deploy, but when you're in garrison you don't have much to do except for sweep floors, go to field/ranges and do MOS specific classes if you're lucky and your unit doesn't suck ass. Strategic units deploy individuals to get attached to bigger units, but the deployments are usually voluntary and you have to get in line behind everyone else that wants to deploy. Tactical units deploy as a whole unit, then generally branch off and get attached to other units when you're in theater.
>>
>>34312683
>Whenever some civvie asks if they are a soldier they smugly respond with "no, I'm a Marine"
Uhm. What's wrong with this? Airmen or Seamen don't call themselves soldiers either. The proper word would be that they're troops if you're referring to the whole lot.
>>
>>34314167
If I never deploy as a 35M, would I still be marketable for jobs that require security clearances with just the training and clearance alone, or would I be better off picking a different intel field?
>>
>>34314229
Your resume is gonna say you did [job description] for [x years] whether you actually did it or not. It's good enough for contracting companies when you get out. My buddy and I were both 35Ns. He didn't do ANY of the actual analytical side of the job, and ended up getting hired when he got out doing analysis work (that he had no actual experience in) making a shit load of money. I changed career fields because I hated intel and it's not worth the money (to me).
>>
Has anyone here taken DLI? Is it worth it? I want to go into an MOS that requires a foreign language, but I'm not sure if I want to spend over 1.5 years of my contract training; especially if we stay peacetime during my contract and I never actually use it.
>>
File: 14768762425_afdfcb6d01_b.jpg (178KB, 1024x717px) Image search: [Google]
14768762425_afdfcb6d01_b.jpg
178KB, 1024x717px
any RAFfags here that want to give me some advice?
>>
Just scheduled for 1pm next monday for a job interview with an Air Force recruiter.

I dont know the first thing about the Air Force. I was trying to go into the navy but it fell through.

What are they looking for? Is there anything I should say or do to make myself more candidate? Should I bring a copy of my resume?
>>
File: 1381654553636.jpg (90KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1381654553636.jpg
90KB, 500x667px
If women were truly equal to men, wouldn't they train alongside men, have their heads shaved alongside men, and be held to the same standards as men?

I've got a little bit of a problem calling a woman a Marine, a Soldier, a Coastguardsman, etc. when they're trained in all-female platoons by all-female instructors and without having to sacrifice their sense of selves/conforming to uniformity like men do.
>>
>>34314583
They're not interested in your resume or stuff like that... what determines your fitness as a candidate is your ability to meet the enlistment criteria, if you get what I'm saying.
They need someone who's not a total lardass, will pass the medical checks, no criminal background, and will score decently on the ASVAB. That's what it takes to get your foot in the door.

Dress something like business casual, as this will make a good impression on the recruiter. If he believes you're not a total shitbag, then he'll probably be more willing to help you get the job you want.

Also general tips:
>Don't admit to any drug use
>Do admit to anything that could be on any law enforcement record
>If anything, don't sign an "open" contract

It's almost a bit of an exchange. He wants to enlist you, preferably in a critically low manned job like Security Forces or Maintenance, but those jobs usually suck.
You want to enlist, but you don't want one of the sucky jobs.

To be prepared in advance, let's talk about jobs that you would be interested in. What do you want to do? What are you interested in?
Don't think just military type things, since the AF has airmen in a wide range of careers.
You'll want to have an idea of the jobs you want, or you'll find yourself standing outside for 12 hours looking at an empty field doing "missile security".
>>
>>34313811
Not that guy, but is DLI worth going to if it's an MOS that people don't like? I don't want to spend over a year in DLI and 30+ week in BCT and AIT if it isn't worth it.

Also, do you know how often 35M's see combat if they do get deployed? I know they aren't a combat MOS, but they work the field don't they?
>>
File: not samefag.jpg (20KB, 673x145px) Image search: [Google]
not samefag.jpg
20KB, 673x145px
From prior thread. I didn't actually samefag, someone else posted that.
Anyways, with a request for counseling paperwork that doesn't exist, would it be valid to give them paperwork of counseling events that did in fact happen in the previously specified time period or later? Am I looking for specific documents besides the counselor's notes and stuff?
>>
>>34315150
I had a friend who failed out of DLI. One of the smartest people I've met, but he managed to fuck up one test and he was instantly re-classed. its up to you do decide wether or not the amount of effort to succeed at DLI vs the benefits are worth it or not. If you ask me Id say no, though
>>
AM I FUCKED?

>Currently in the enlistment process for the Army
>In my early 30s, in good shape, have a degree
>8 years ago I was arrested for "Probable Cause - Dealing Marijuana"
>No charges filed, no convictions
>Class A misdemeanor
>I have submitted my records to the recruiter
>I am clean of all drugs now
>I know to be honest at MEPS
>I know to not to pick an MOS with security clearance

Will I be DQ'ed? I'm pretty nervous over this. I feel like the military is the only option I have to get ahead in my life right now and I hope my dumb ass younger self didn't just fuck this all up.
>>
>>34315323
>be honest at meps
lol who said that
maybe for crimes but always lie at meps
>>
>>34315323
You will need a waiver. You will talk to a Captain, a Lt Colonel, and it would be decided by a brigadier general.

Two shit heads in my office got felonies together when they were 17 for impersonating cops and wanted to enlist together. I don't know if it got approved.
>>
>>34315419
Can you give me any info on where or when it will happen? Before MEPS? Basic?

Also, I heard the Army isn't doing many waivers anymore. True?
>>
>>34315470
No, tons of people need waivers for various bullshit. What got phased out were Army OCS waivers for age.

It will happen before enlistment. Probably after MEPS. It will take several weeks because you need to either wait on phone calls or see them in person.
>>
>>34315419
>>34315323
I went to basic with a kid who spent a brief time jail.
He was able to get it waived, but his father also happened to be an E-9
>>
>>34315240
What's your MOS?
>>
Are any of you fucks stationed at Fort Dix?
If so I just wanted to say fuck you for keeping me up at night
>>
File: 1324350972878.jpg (88KB, 567x425px) Image search: [Google]
1324350972878.jpg
88KB, 567x425px
>>34315323
>I know to be honest at MEPS
Being honest at MEPS is the one thing you DON'T want to do.

They can literally end your entire fucking military career before it even begins with a single pen stroke. As far as they are concerned (and especially since you were never booked or had charges filed against you) you're a perfect Boy Scout, you say your prayers every night before bed, and only have sex in the missionary position for the purpose of procreation.
>>
>>34312504
My understanding:
Defense Language Aptitude Battery, then they teach you a language based on what you scored. There's 4 tiers. First and lowest is Romance languages (Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese). Next tier has German, but honestly that's fucking easy to pick up as an English speaker because English is a Germanic language. Highest tier has moonspeak and dunespeak and other shit.

This is off the top of my head, so I may be wrong about you being necessarily taught a language, but DLAB is necessary, or will be in FY2018, and I'm pretty sure I have the language tiers right.
>>
>>34316594
Any idea on how long it takes for those languages? I imagine it takes longer the higher tier you go. And do you know if they accept people that have lower tiers of languages, or do they just want people that can speak to ISIS and what not?
>>
>>34316532
Its on my criminal record that I possessed weed, but I really haven't done it in a while. What should I say then if they ask me? "I used to do drugs, but I gave that up" ???
>>
>>34316613
Honestly, I would say talk to your recruiter. The Army is seriously hurting for people. Be honest with your recruiter, but not with MEPS.
>>
>>34315323
You can still get a clearance, m8.
Just don't lie about it.
That shouldn't be disqualifying at all.
>>
>>34313811
If there's nothing to do in garrison, do 35Ms just sweep sunshine off of parking lots or do they train some more or just get extra time to fuck around or what?
>>
If you lied about something really minor at MEPS is it still possible to get security clearance?
Isn't there another sheet you fill out before the clearance test?
>>
>>34315240
Reclassed as what? If I fuck up at DLI do I go from say 35M to 92Y without any say, do I stay 35 series but get thrown into something else without any input, or do I have some say in the matter?
>>
>>34316714

The Army is only obligated to give you "needs of the Army". Sometimes your cadre will specifically do you a solid by letting you choose from some of the available needs.

Usually it depends on why you're being reclassed. Shitbag that lost your clearance for doing something stupid in school? They're going to give you the first non-cleared slot that comes around. Just couldn't hack it academically? You might get to choose from a couple open jobs, but they aren't guaranteed to be 35-series or even cleared.
>>
>>34316684
What is it
>>
>>34316735
I told my recruiter I ended up going to the ER twice for over drinking and he said don't bring it up at MEPS. Did I really lie about that? I don't even drink anymore so it's really not an issue.
>>
>>34316754
>my recruiter told me to do something so I'm going to do the total opposite!
>>
>>34316612
No idea if it takes longer based just on tier. It's more that a higher score means you can learn a harder-tier language.

Also, don't discount languages that aren't Arabic. They speak French in Haiti and Spanish all over Central and South America, and who knows what could happen to our south?

Plus, Euro languages are spoken across Africa, so even just passing the DLAB has SOUTHCOM, AFRICOM and EUCOM open to you.

Also, interpreters will probably be involved in the Middle East, so you coulf still interrogate a random ISIS dude even if you just speak English and French.
>>
>>34316781
No, I'm in. I lied at MEPS about it. I've never been sick, never touched alcohol. The real issue is if it's going to come back and bite me that I lied at MEPS.
>>
File: 0620172151.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
0620172151.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>34316786
This. Also, Ching Chong took 64 weeks, the other tier 4 languages were comparable in length.
>>
>>34316867
What was the experience at DLI like?
>>
>>34316732
Thanks, man.

Seperate note:
I had surgery as a baby for Pyloric Stenosis (bottom valve in my stomach wouldn't open wide enough). It's a common procedure, like 1.5 per 1000 babies have it in the US, and I've not had any problems since. Thing is, I'll need a clearance for 35M so no lying to MEPS, and there's a faded 3-4" scar on my abdomen that any doc would notice anyway.

On that note, how do I go about the medical history portion of enlistment?
>>
>>34316867
How's your accent?
>>
When you get a contract (say 3 or 4 years), does the contract include the amount of time you take training?
>>
>>34316936

Depends on the contract. A lot of them are 3 + training, which ends up being 3.5 - 4 depending on MOS. That's not always the case though, you just have to read your contract carefully.
>>
>>34316888
Personally, and with the Chinese, it took until about halfway through the clurse before it all "clicked", before that it was a little rough. That would obviously differ for everyone. As for the day to day, I was Army and it wasnt bad. I heard they really tightened up though in the years after I was there, restricting a lot of what you're allowed to do, so who knows what its like now.
>>
>>34316963
Are you 35M? Was it shitty going to AIT right after?
>>
>>34316924
I actually just got back from a work trip to China, one of our workers there said he couldnt believe that I studied in the States because my pronounciation was so close to theirs. He could have been blowing smoke, but ive gotten similar comments over there.

Also, they obviously dont know that I learned Chinese to spy on them. I just tell them I really loved studying it in undergrad.
>>
>>34316977
I was 35P
>>
>>34309730
Can someone tell me why I'm not going to succeed if I do this? I don't see why good work ethic and a positive attitude won't be enough.
>>
>>34317032
How should we know if you're going to succeed? You either have what it takes or you don't. Please don't ask "what does it take?"
>>
>>34316664
A large amount of MOS do fuck-all in garrison. It's one of the main reasons people don't reenlist. "I didn't sign up to be a janitor, weed puller, landscaper, etc" Your unit will have random tasks to do, then you've got field exercises and ranges, your NCOs """should""" be teaching you shit you don't learn at the school house (spoiler: most of them won't care enough to show you shit). If you're lucky you can get TDY orders to do some classes. There's some cool classes 35Ms can take, but your unit has to allow you to go which can be a nightmare.

Oh and there's also post taskings which are FUCKING RETARDED. You think all the gate guards on base are MPs? Guess again. And yes, we had 35Ms that scanned ID cards on base for 6-12 months. The military is dumb and they couldn't pay me enough money to go back.
>>
So, I'm about to finish up my college degree in history, and I've been pretty dead set on joining the Army for awhile now, but I'm not entirely sure what I want to do while I'm in.

I know it would be beneficial to me to enlist in an MOS that will help me gain job experience in the civilian world, especially since my major is pretty shitty. However, I also feel like joining the military to do office work would be a waste of time, and I'm considering doing a combat MOS.

On the flip side, I completely understand that combat MOS's do absolutely nothing during peacetime, and doesn't really give me any good career experience; making it an even bigger waste of time.

Has anyone ever been in the situation before, and/or has some good advice? Are there any MOS's that give you a good pathway to careers, but also do fieldwork and possibly see combat (I think 35M might meet this criteria, but I've heard so many mixed things about it that I don't know if it's worth doing)? Any input is appreciated.
>>
>>34309498
>waiting 1yr for 11b
i'm not getting in, am i?
>>
>>34317207
Shit, if I went Airborne would I increase my chances of doing less bullshit, or at least cool/fun non-MOS stuff like field exercises and range days? Is the chance of bullshit proportionally equal with a red beret or black? If you don't know personally, best guess?
>>
>>34317559
That seems like an absurd wait time
>>
What are some good non-bullshit fields to go into in the AF? I got a 98 on the ASVAB but I was a lazy fuck who didn't go to college out of high school
>>
>>34317544
>degree
>Army
>enlisted
Why?
Go Intel officer if you can
If not, then go for ACSO or whatever the American equivalent is
"Air Combat Systems Officer"
Nigger who presses the buttons to kill Hajjis on aircraft or drones.
>>
>>34318850
I think the equivalent is Sensor Operator. Does Reaperguy still trip around /k/ anymore? He'd know.
>>
>>34316892
pls respond
>>
>>34318515
For best transfer to civie life, anything that starts with 1N or 3D (Intel or Comm). Most come with TS clearance and give you enough training/certs to be hot shit for private companies when you get out. Or you can just go GS.
>>
Hey all!

Looking into the Army as a 35P, interested in learning a new lang wouldn't mind any of them to be honest. Looking into other jobs as well. However my question:

Is it possible to have a 3 years active duty then 3-4 year reserve contract? Looking into doing enough active time for the post 9/11 gi bill then going to college and do some reserve time. A lot of places online just go on and on about the "you're gonna serve 8 years technically" and don't really specify Any real AD/Reserve(or Guard) split.
>>
>>34319018
What kind of Intel jobs to civvies get hired in?
>>
About to graduate and looking into OCS

What is the comfiest branch in the military for officers?

Which branch has the most fun bases?--hookers? nightlight? male/female ratio? recreational activities?
>>
>>34319028

Pretty much all 35P contracts are going to be 4-6 active and 2-4 in the IRR for your total of 8.

You can choose to join the regular reserves instead of the IRR if you qualify when your active time is up.
>>
>>34316327
>>34316714
We're both Air Force actually, so the way he was declassed might've been handled differently. He was thrown into my tech school (cyber whatever). IDK if he had any say in the matter
>>
>>34317032
because a positive attitude and good work ethic isn't enough
>>
>>34317559
what, did you just finish your Junior year?
>>
>>34318850
I was under the impression that OCS is hard to get into, and I don't particularly stand out in anyway, so I just assumed I wouldn't get in
>>
>>34320509
Yep, I just read some of the general tips to get into OCS and there's absolutely no way I get in. They want people with STEM majors (which I don't have) who have a 3.7+ GPA (which I don't have either). I'll definitely be enlisting.
>>
>>34320566
what do you have?
>>
>>34320660
2.9, I fucked up my Sophomore year because I tried to take a bunch of hard classes to challenge muhself. Needless to say, it didn't work in my favor.
>>
>>34320691
you interested in which branch OCS? Degree?
got any extracurriculars/leadership/sports shit

PFA score?
>>
>>34320732
Here's my original post>>34317544
I used to do Cross Country and Track, but stopped after my freshman year of college because I transferred to a big state school. I do a few extracurriculars, but nothing that would set me apart.

I've pretty much accepted that I'll have to enlist, I was just answering someone that asked why I would enlist with a college degree instead of going OCS.
>>
>>34320566
This is bullshit. Most Army OCS candidates don't have a 3.7 or higher in STEM. If they did they wouldn't be joining the fucking army and they'd never make their recruiting mission.

The hardest thing about getting into OCS is waiting. It's a slog that can span years. And then when you get selected it's often several months to ship.

If you aren't a shithead with a decent APFT and a GPA above the 3.0 range you have a shot. If you don't mind waiting forever for it.
>>
File: 1488978036094.png (64KB, 658x901px) Image search: [Google]
1488978036094.png
64KB, 658x901px
>tfw too many misdemeanors on juvenile record to join

oh well neet life it is, no more pushups and running. hopefully ww3 starts soon and they accept former shitheads.
>>
Only tangentially /meg/ but fuck the police, would having dual citizenship (US born, applying for Danish) hurt my chances of getting sec clearance? I can get citizenship in a typically exclusive country for basically just paying $200 which seems like a good deal but I don't want it to fuck up my career path.
>>
Is Navy AD a good rate? got offered it today, have to go to meps friday
>>
>>34322309
https://news.clearancejobs.com/2010/09/29/dual-citizenship-and-security-clearances/
TL;DR they might take your foreign passport(s), make you renounce your other citizenship(s), and/or tell you to fuck off entirely.
>>
>>34322275
You should have been a gud boi.
>>
>>34322309
You probably can enlist, but getting a clearance is basically nil.
>>
Should I stop jerking off or is it possible to find time to jerk it in service
>>
>>34323029
its just stupid shit nothing too bad I might just join the FFL
>>
How difficult is the asvab? I'm more worried about that, than anything physical. How difficult would it be to score high enough for Military Police?
>>
File: srt-army-hr.jpg (778KB, 3184x1973px) Image search: [Google]
srt-army-hr.jpg
778KB, 3184x1973px
Any 31Bs on here? I had a few questions about Army SRT. What bases have them? How do you get on a SRT? What's the training like?
>>
Any Marines who can tell me about 46xx Moss's?
>>
>>34324634
MOS's
>>
>>34324000
If you considered yourself one of the "smart" kids in school, you should be able to score above an 80 easily. That will qualify you for most, if not every job.
It shouldn't be difficult to make MP at all.

Everybody in my shop (IT) has over a 75, but your score is a percentile... so that puts us in the top quartile.
3/4 of the military scored lower than us... yikes.
>>
>>34325091
What kind of questions should I expect? Should I bother with mock tests and study guides?
>>
>>34325211
>>34325091
Don't bother studying. If you can type that sentence without any major spelling errors you are good to go. I had to take an enormous shit and rushed through it and got in the 84th percentile.
>>
I guess I'll ask you guys
How should I go about becoming a civilian or military spy or a spy hunter?
>>
If I get deployed how likely is it that I could bring back home an AK with me lol
>>
>>34325723
>lol
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>34325723

Only really possible if you purchase it and get it purposefully broken into non-functionality. Acquiring it without buying it legitimately is taking war trophies, which is illegal. Bringing it home functional is importing arms, which you can't do either.
>>
>>34321350
4.0 in stem here
Fuck civie life, but it's taken almost a year now, 1 year in July, to get to DEP and I might be waiting till December or February to get a ship date

Shouldve just gone rotc, but now I know how much I hate corporate bucks
>>
>>34325907
Any war trophy is illegal?
>>
>>34325723
>>34325907
Worked with a guy who got a Bronze star and eventually a DD for trying to smuggle back a haji AK. So he said, don't know if true but don't know who would lie about getting a DD
>>
>>34326068
There's a definition of what is a "war trophy", shit like enemy bandanas or patches didn't count I think, but weapons certainly do, you have to go through a lot of work to be approved, if at all afaik
>>
>>34326147
If I steal the colors of an enemy unit can I keep them
>>
>>34319822
>What is the comfiest branch in the military for officers?

Any nonner officer job in the Air Force is cush as fuck
>>
>>34326123

A DD is unlikely, as those are pretty serious, but actually possible here since you can definitely go to courts martial for taking war trophies. A lot of military "rule breaking" will just get you UCMJ, but war-trophies are no-shit against international law so they tend to throw the book at you.
>>
>do interview
>waiting on phonecall/email for medical and security check
>been 2.5 weeks
am I fucked
>>
File: images(12).jpg (7KB, 338x149px) Image search: [Google]
images(12).jpg
7KB, 338x149px
Now that AF Aerial Gunner has become Special Missions Aviator, has their overall quality of life declined?

All the AG's I knew loved their jobs, but I never envied maintainers. Maintainers were the only people with more suicide attempts than us (security forces)
>>
Can you get a drug waiver for post college OCS?
>>
>>34326463
Moral waivers kill competitiveness for OCS but maybe it depends on the branch
>>
>>34326481
Should I lie about drug use then? No records/arrests and haven't smoked pot in over a year. Used to smoke a lot 2 years ago tho
>>
>>34326506
Yes.
As long as you don't put a bunch of burnouts as your security references, you'll be fine.
>>
>>34326610
I'm worried that when they snoop for the security clearance they'll talk to college friends who might say I've smoke with them.
>>
>>34326385
Air Traffic Controllers have the highest suicide rates.
>>
>>34326751
AF wide, yes, at my old base, nope.
>>
>>34326751
Why is that?
>>
How exactly do Marine MOSes function? Obviously you sign the contract and then it's in writing but can the Corps come along and say "Actually, you're infantry now"?
>>
>>34326716
As far as I'm aware, they didn't ask my friends about my drug usage.
You can make up a story if you want and say you tried it only a few times (no more than 5), but you have to stick to that story for the rest of your career.

>>34326804
Yes they 100% can do that, especially in the Marines. "Every Marine a rifleman".
>>
>>34326835
How frequently does that happen?
>>
>>34326857
I have no idea, I'm in the Air Force.
>>
>>34326835

Please stop. You have no idea what you're talking about.

There's no need to lie about marijuana on a clearance investigation. It's a non-issue if you did it, but if you lie about it then you're making it much worse. Any of your friends who lie to the federal investigator about it will also be put at risk.

The Marines will forcibly reclass you into infantry, that isn't what "Every Marine a rifleman" means. Instead, it refers to the idea that all Marines are to uphold a level of combat standards that would allow them to function effectively as riflemen if necessary. That's why the Marines have regular combat fitness testing, etc. The reality is still that most Marines never get anywhere near a fight, because most Marines are in support positions.
>>
>>34326892

>The Marines will forcibly reclass you into infantry

The Marines will NOT forcibly reclass you into infantry*.

Again, that's a fuckload of paperwork and a waste of training dollars. Compulsory reclassification doesn't happen like that.
>>
>>34326857
Fucking never, at least in the USMC.

Artillery batteries have served as supplemental infantry units in Afghanistan/Iraq, but that is also part of their core capabilities. Other MOSs (cooks, motor t, etc) are sent to the HQ company in infantry battalions, but the closest thing to doing grunt stuff they will likely do is stand post.

There are exceptions though, we had a cook who was attached to my company on my first deployment, he would go on as many patrols as we would let him.
>>
>just submitted my info on the marines recruitment web page
Fuck I'm nervous. I can't believe I did that.

>/blog
>>
>>34326892
I decided that I wanted to serve after I had quit smoking. I had smoked purely b/c bored. I don't want my chances at USMC OCS to be ruined because I stupidly smoked pot years ago, which is why I'm contemplating lying.
>>
>>34326892
>>34326901
I work in an organization where everyone has SCI, minimum. I also work closely with the SSO on-boarding new arrivals, so to say I have "no idea" would be a little bit inaccurate.

If he's 100% honest and upfront, he will have to get a waiver signed before he can even commission, and the chances of landing a commission with that sort of moral waiver are drastically lower.

If he lies to commission, and then is truthful during the investigation, they will have to process a discharge waiver for him, which is a different, yet significant risk, depending where in training he is.

If he never admits to it, and there is no evidence, the only possible issue is if someone tells on him, but here's the flipside: all the evidence they have is a statement from some random guy claiming that you did smoke weed. That's never been enough to get someone in legal trouble.

Also he asked if it he could be re classed, which is possible. Never commented on how likely.
>>
>>34326949
Yea call me back when you gotta make the walls drip with sweat before you get an hour of sleep
>>
>>34326964
Fuck I wish guys like you could be doxxed and turned into the OSOs.
>>
>>34325615
pls
>>
>>34327012
Does this really happen?
>>
>>34327056
The only people I've known this to happen to are army rangers and sappers, and all marines
>>
>>34327044
>Oh no! He smoked the marijuweenie! He's obviously unfit to serve his country!

Fuck off. People like you are the reason we're having a hard time recruiting and retaining technical talent. Sorry the world doesn't match your puritanical vision of reality.
>>
>>34327092
He would be instantly disqualified if he were honest. And as a Marine officer, he'll be thumping how chest about how much integrity he has for the next 20 years.

Fuck him, the Marines will be fine without him. Let the OCS slot go to somebody who followed the law. Better yet, let him shit his pants during the moment of truth in Quantico.
>>
>>34327128
anecdotally, I told Navy when I applied to OCS and still got in
Marines are a bit more anal about it and want a waiver for any use.
>>
>>34309498
>Based Jody edition

Are US recruiters really THIS DESPERATE
>>
File: 1378183114427.jpg (17KB, 568x356px) Image search: [Google]
1378183114427.jpg
17KB, 568x356px
>tfw lied at MEPS about so much shit I'll probably never get to operate
>>
>>34327149
I don't have a problem with drug waivers since you did the right thing. But an ex stoner who is going to lie about it and thus get an edge on acceptance over someone who was honest - how could this not piss you off. And this fuckwad is going to be leading people
>>
>>34327070
For what purpose?
>>
>>34327149
I admitted during my investigation, but my discharge waiver was a given since the AF was hurting for enlisted cyber at the time.

Not sure the same would happen for OCS.

It's a risk game that's totally up to him. I told him what I would do, and the risk associated with each choice. By omitting, you're taking a chance, but I'd wager that by being upfront he would be out immediately.

>>34327218
The fact that you call an ex-casual MJ user a "fuckwad" is concerning.
>>
>>34309498
looking to reenlist as a Construction mechanic in the navy, any advice?
>>
>>34327218
simmer down u pussy
>>
>>34322309
i had to give up my foreign citizenship when getting a clearance
>>
>>34327233
What do you mean, "for what purpose?" Making Sapper cry is YOUR ONLY purpose
>>
>>34327243
He's a fuckwad because he's lying about it. Integrity matters to the Marine officer corps more than anything. Google the 2012 night land nav scandal. If you think it's hokey and treat it like a joke find another career.
>>
>>34327012
What
Can you explain this
>>
>>34322377
bump, got out 8 months ago as an STG want to reenlist as either AD or CM cause fuck sonar.
>>
>>34327218
yeah it sucks, i was gonna apply to the marines but I thought it was retarded people who would lie about it would be rewarded over those who were honest and had their application

pretty happy with my decision overall in the end, I can sleep soundly knowing I dont have to worry about people talking about the pot use or the fact that I lied about it to the Navy in the first place.
>>
I'm thinking about joining the National Guard so I can remain close to home and help out my state and its people here in the US and not help imperialism in a sandbox.

Please don't laugh at this question, but if I go engineering (for its civilian after stuff and the general knowledge) would I still be able to go into Special Forces if I wanted (and was able)?
>>
>>34327460

You can apply to SF from anywhere, but SF doesn't opr8 domestically filling sandbags after hurricanes. They're a global-imperialism-only element.

Your goals are at odds because you're stupid.
>>
>>34327610

Fair enough. Maybe I should join the Marines then.
>>
Finally pulled the trigger on joining the CAF.

Any other leaf bros here to tell me what my chances are of getting into infantry?
>>
>>34327621

The Marine reserves are tiny and don't really do national disaster relief either. Good luck, anon.
>>
>>34327636

It was a joke based on the 'stupid' comment. Thanks for the luck though. Trying to get in shape and just think about my future. Don't know what I'm going to do, honestly.
>>
>>34327308
Marines will have to PT until the walls drip with condensed sweat at least 3x in boot camp, and unlike army being smoked don't stop when you graduate. Also PT is forever, so you better enjoy it
>>
File: 1489931404752.png (44KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1489931404752.png
44KB, 657x527px
Anyone do fun games to get in shape?

While shitposting I alternate between push ups, squats, or sit ups and do X amount based on how many (You)s I get.

During the day I drink gallons of water and alternate sets of each after every time I take a piss.

I bought a pull up bar and I do some after every meal.
>>
>>34327690
>During the day I drink gallons of water
Yeah, have fun with being overhydrated.
>>
When I get out of Active Duty, and want to become a weekend warrior, would I make more money in the Reserves or National Guard?
>>
>>34327706
Is there such a thing? I sweat a lot, I don't know if I've ever reached that point.
>>
>>34327714
Neither to be honest. I'm e4 on AT right now and they're gonna pay me 1.9k for 2 weeks of sitting on ass pretending to fix trucks. I imagine reserve is the same
>>
>>34327723
Yes, it's a common problem with athletes, particularly in high school. People drink a whole bunch of water trying to keep from being dehydrated, but don't regulate the amount they drink which fucks them over just as bad. The 8 glasses of water per day meme doesn't take into account that you get a good portion of water from the food you eat (unless you're only eating bread like a faggot).
>>
>>34326835
>"Every Marine a rifleman"
Please don't perpetuate that shit. It's not true at all.

>>34326804

First off you they won't give you a contract unless they need to fill that job. You won't just get unlucky and be reassigned. However, if you fail your MOS school you will be. Even then though, you won't be infantry. The marines have plenty of kids begging for infantry slots. Instead you'll end up as a cook or laundry specialist or some other shit job nobody signs up for.
>>
>>34327930
How many 03 slots do they need right now? If I just tell my recruiter to get me 03 would I be a shoe-in? I'm set to go by the next fiscal year.
>>
What's it like being in armor as opposed to infantry?
>>
>>34326949
Nigga they either give you a call or send you a letter in a self seal Manila envelope with Moto-EGAs all over the front about recruitment and shit, no need to worry about it until you actually meet a recruiter face to face in an office.
>>
>>34323527
After basic you will have all the time in world.

Some weirdos even crank one out after lights out DURING basic.
>>
File: check.png (582KB, 853x482px) Image search: [Google]
check.png
582KB, 853x482px
>>34323527
I am a man of culture and arts. My plan is to enjoy as many japanese h-games as possible before I go, that I may be sated. As the majestic grizzly bear gorges on food, that he may survive the winter, so too shall I consume an intense diet of nukige.
>>
where do you guys allocate your TSP funds?
I just got access to my account and I was thinking about moving them from G funds into a spread of F, C, and S funds
>>
What does it take to get kicked out of Basic Training?
>>
>>34331868
Just sexually harass someone.
>>
File: roving_jew.jpg (58KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
roving_jew.jpg
58KB, 800x450px
How do I make the most out of being an LS? Is it just paying close attention to what people want and knowing how to bargain favors well? I want to be pic related but in the Navy checking tools in and out.

How much free time do you have as an LS?

If you know any LS what are the best and worst parts?
>>
File: 1491239047544.png (15KB, 240x304px) Image search: [Google]
1491239047544.png
15KB, 240x304px
who /poolee/ here
>>
Well I spent the majority of my remaining money on the plane ticket to Paris

Gonna blow the last 500 dollars in my bank account out there and then join the legion like I always planned

Wish me luck boyos
>>
>>34332416
gl friendo

Hope u don't get your throat cut by some psycho Slav
>>
>>34332416
What will you do if you get denied or fail boot?
>>
>>34332597
You get like 200 Euro to go fuck off.
>>
>>34331772
Put in in a target retirement fund.
The government will automatically choose the best mix of funds, starting with the riskiest while you are young and moving into the safest when you get close to retirement.
>>
Are tanks air conditioned?
>>
>Do first DEP PT session
>Squats
>Squats
>Squats
>4 days later
>Thighs still sore as fuck
>>
>>34332416
do you have a record?
>>
>>34333233
Yes
>>
>>34332416
Don't blow that money. Save it in case you need to get home
>>
File: 1465570460438.jpg (83KB, 1375x645px) Image search: [Google]
1465570460438.jpg
83KB, 1375x645px
>>34333243
I don't think I've had a PT session where someone didn't puke. We had to do lunges across a parking lot after doing sit ups, burpees, half burpees, squats, and push ups until failure. Also we ran laps and sprints.
>>
File: 20170618_150850.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170618_150850.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Who /wrecker/ here?
>>
>>34333270
No
>>
>>34333285
I don't really have a home to go back too

Parents kicked me out I've been living in my car
>>
What makes aircraft maintenance jobs in the AF so shit that you should avoid them?
>>
>>34334484
I'm not even military so take this with a grain of salt but I'd assume the hard work isn't worth it since you're only trained to work on the aircraft there and that experience will mean nothing once you get out and try to transfer it to a trade
>>
>>34334027
Bring that up, they'd like you to be desperate if you're going to join.
>>
File: 1470416459478.jpg (30KB, 344x344px) Image search: [Google]
1470416459478.jpg
30KB, 344x344px
Are you allowed to receive photographs while in boot camp?

Will I be mocked if I have my family send me pictures of Chesty Puller to keep me motivated?
>>
>>34334861
You'll look like a moto dude
>>
>>34334553

Complete bullshit. Maintenance jobs transfer well into civilian jobs in the aerospace industry as long as you get your certification. At that point you can make a fairly comfortable career in the industry, or continue your education into a white-collar profession.
>>
>>34334925
Is that good or bad?
>>
>>34335175
Definitely bad.
>>
>>34335254
I thought DIs wanted you to drink the Kool-Aid.
>>
My OCS packet info is due tomorrow at noon and an O-5 who said he would write me a reference months ago still hasn't emailed me. Should I just ask a friend at to write one for me at this point? All the professors I have relationships with are gone for the Summer and I can't think of anyone else who would be a good reference.
>>
>>34334942
Good to know like I said I don't know much about that since I'm not even military but I just assumed since I've heard that's the case for stuff like working on tanks in the Army
>>
Alright, talked to a recruiter for the Navy today. Took a practice asvab, got a perfect score(didn't miss any questions) and he said I could probably do the Navy Nuclear program. Is this realistic, or is it just another case of a recruiter talking out of his ass to get me to join? I have always been smart in school, have an academic scholarship to college, but can he really tell if I am likely good enough for the Nuke program from a practice test?
Also how can I try and go to buds? I wanna at least try, and if I don't make it I'm fine doing pog jobs in the Navy.
>>
>>34335456
Your main goal should be NOT to get noticed in boot.
>>
>>34335947
Hmm that is true.
>>
>>34335947
As I understand it though, don't Marines have a massive hard-on for Chesty? I assumed they revered him as a Demi-God.
>>
How retarded would I be to enlist in the army in my late 20s?
>>
>>34335456
>>34336013
DI's don't "want" you to do anything. The whole point is that you can't win them over. One recruit will get smoked for doing X and then they will turn around and smoke you for doing the opposite of X.
>>
File: Student Loans.jpg (641KB, 800x4759px) Image search: [Google]
Student Loans.jpg
641KB, 800x4759px
>>34336051
A lot of people in this mid-to-late 20s are joining the military. It beats getting buried in fucking student loan debt.
>>
>>34336080
Lol I'm already in ~$30k worth of student load debt.

Honestly I just feel like I missed the boat by being a lazy fatbody and not joining right out of HS around '08. I'm just thinking I should maybe try now before I hit my 30s and pretty much miss the boat forever.
>>
>>34336160
You can sometimes get loan forgiveness if you commission. Do you have your degree?
>>
>>34336170
Just an associates for IT shit, nothing that would qualify me for a commission. I don't even care about the loans or money though, I just wanna do soldier/grunt shit basically.
>>
>>34336203
If that's your aim then wait. Get an MOS that will help you out in the future. There's no need for an infantry if nobody is fighting a war.
>>
>>34336203
That's not uncommon. I'm enlisting now at 24. Did the college thing first because it was the "smart" choice, but every year and I kept wondering what it was actually like being a soldier. So I decided to just do it instead of wondering for the rest of my life. Even if you hate it, whatever you're doing now will be here when you get back.
>>
>>34315150
Monterey is nice looking, but the people here are awful. Most of the kids at DLI are super nerds/weebs who make a trip to Gamestop every 1st and 15th.

I wouldn't recommend going to DLI, you're gonna burn yourself out on a language.
>>
>>34336080
(((elizabeth warren)))
>>
When can I start asking stupid questions about the space corps? Should I go talk to an af recruiter? I had a perfect score in all sections of the afqt in high school, but enlisting seems like it would be shit. Most likely space corps officer jobs?
>>
File: Q0mQTcZ.jpg (75KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Q0mQTcZ.jpg
75KB, 1920x1200px
What are my chances becoming an air force pilot? Preferably for the f-22 (19m in uni and AFROTC)
>>
>>34338381

Going off of zero information, sure you can be a pilot. You won't be picking your aircraft though.
>>
File: 1497092731775.jpg (78KB, 699x670px) Image search: [Google]
1497092731775.jpg
78KB, 699x670px
>>34330513
>>
>>34312324
>Big

If I remember correctly you are Cyber Transport Systems in the Air Force. Throughout my process for far I have benefited from your advice in your contributions to these MEG threads. Thank you.

As for me, i'm in DEP, booked a job for Cyber Transport and i'm leaving end of August. Id like to ask a bunch of questions pertinent to the job and training:

What should I do now to prepare?

I hear I must pas Sec+ in tech school, will I be tested on or trained in material on A+ or Net+?

If not, after receiving my Sec+, is it worth to go "backward" and get an A+ or Net+?

What is Tech School like? Any tips to be successful there?

Whats the Keesler AFB like? What's around to do in my free time?

What is a typical day at work like? Any tips to be successful at my job once I get to my base?

What other certs or training is available after tech school? Which would you recommend and in what order?

How do I set myself up for a successful civilian career? Whats the job market look like for someone getting out of a 4 year enlistment in cyber transport?

Whats the lowdown on security clearance?

Apparently this job is at every base. How do I maximize the chance of getting the base I want? What bases do I want? Which one should I avoid?
>>
>>34337212
>Most of the kids at DLI are super nerds/weebs who make a trip to Gamestop every 1st and 15th.
Sounds perfect for /k/.
>>
>>34309498
Looking to go Navy, I have a computer science and math degree. Not autistic and have leadership ability.

Which officer role should I look at for the best post-navy career options?
>>
>>34340142
NUPOC
>>
>>34338381
No PPL = no pilot slot for ROTC kids. Air Force simply doesn't want to spend too much money sending you all to IFT before pilot training. Exceptions exist, of course, but good luck if you're not a model officer candidate with natural leadership ability, a 4.0 GPA, and the brownest nose in the corps.
>>
File: i-have-autism.jpg (51KB, 500x492px) Image search: [Google]
i-have-autism.jpg
51KB, 500x492px
>>34340372
b-but i'm a shitbag who took adhd meds, broke his pinky in 3rd grade, and did tons of pot and I admitted to everything both at meps and on my security clearance and i still got a $100k bonus and the secret comfort women sucking my dick every day. trust me, just admit to every little thing no matter their ability to find out, slack off all the time, get a 2.1 GPA, and go for the toughest programs. your chances will still be great and your recruiter will love you for it. trust me, and you're a fuckwad traitor who will literally destroy this country if you do anything else.
>>
>>34331868
Call your DI/RDC a nigger and refuse to do pushups/situps.
>>
>>34332134
>bargain favors
More like just don't be a dick when you have to do your job. Also try to get all your quals done as quick as possible. Not much else to it really.
>>
>>34335753
Recruiting a nuke earns the recruiter an extra piece of cheese or something. There's a copypasta pic upthread i think that details why it's a miserable fucking job. I'm sure you're more than capable of doing it, but you should choose a job that YOU wanna do, not what your recruiter wants.
>>
G'day cunts, hope you're well.

Looking at Combat Engineer in the Aussie army with a keen idea of SOF in the future.
I'd like to say I want to apply for SF straight off the bat but I'm unsure if I can cut it.

For PT in preparation I'm aiming to run 10km Mon Wed and Fri

Lift weights on Tues Wed Friday and Saturday (upper lower strength and control split - Candito linear).
I'm also going to do pack marches on Saturdays for ~20km starting at ~10kg building up the weight I will ruck over the weeks.

How does this training regime look to you lads? Also any tips for the interviewing and psych testing component?
>>
>>34312195
Unless you have a degree that they want from a prestigious school, you're not getting in as a civilian. Just enlist and put in a package after a year or so. You'll still need said degree and a recommendation from your CO, so make sure you're seen doing lots of shit. Volunteer at soup kitchens and help other shops with their shit.
>>
>>34340828
How hard is it to get 70s on the APFT?
>>
>>34340851
Didn't mean to quote.
>>
>>34340801
>Recruiting a nuke earns the recruiter an extra piece of cheese or something.
IIRC, recruiting a Nuke counts as two recruits towards your quota
>>
So when the Marine recruiters asked me to pick 3 fields will a contract out of those 3 be chosen for me after boot camp or will I sign a contract for one of those before I leave

Also is where you do SOI completely up to luck?
>>
>>34341852
Not this anon but I want to know too
>>
I am trying to join Navy as a Nuke. I have a very apparent scar on my arm from two surgeries, which were for a broken bone that is now healed, and my recruiter said it was not a problem, but I got the medical documentation for my surgery and it mentions that I had a concussion. Could this affect me being able to join? I was 12 and I'm completely recovered by now.
>>
Been in the Corps for little over a year and a half. Deploying for the first time next month. AMA
>>
>>34342799
it'll be fine
>>
>>34341852
So at the end of MCT you will get told where you are going for MOS school. Say you choose engineers you might get combat engineers (which isn't as great as it sounds) or you might get heavy equipment operator. nothing is set in stone. My friend who joined after I did thought he was going to get Crash Fire Rescue but instead got Expeditionary Airfields. which is my mos. SOI is determined by where you went to boot camp. Parris Island goes to North Carolina, and MCRD San Diego goes to Cali. There are exceptions. I went to Parris Island but because my OG contract was recon I got sent to Cali for SOI.
>>
>>34342860
Where you shipping to?
>>
>>34340851
15:12 2mile
49 pushups
59 situps

I'm assuming you want to go 18x but the fact that you couldn't figure this out yourself with google means you should probably reconsider going SF.
>>
>>34342860
MOS?
Do you like it so far? Do you regret your MOS? Do you regret joining?
>>
>>34341852
You sign for a field, but not a specific MOS.
>>
File: 1396469976062.jpg (75KB, 817x845px) Image search: [Google]
1396469976062.jpg
75KB, 817x845px
What's the best branch to kill muslims and commies?
>>
>>34343230
Army. Go rangers or some other 3l!t3 shit
>>
The military in the Netherlands has a study where you can go to prepare for enlistment. If I do ground forces I'll start low if I eventually go to the Marine Corps, if I do communication's technology I can still enlist for the Marine Corps later, with a a specialization like frogman, sniper or whatever, mixed with a practical communications function for whenever they need help on duty.

It seems like an obvious choice, but seeing as I want to join the Marine Corps and I'm already 18 I want to start as quick as possible. The lower study will take roughly 1.5 years, while the latter communications study will take 2.5 years. I also get a more stable future with the communication's technology in the future.

Should I just go for it, even though I'm not truly interested in the study itself? It'll just net me a lot of benefits in the future. Already passed the physical tests which is parallel to the marines itself. It's just that I don't have a degree yet due to school shit that stops me from enlisting asap.
>>
Shipping out to Ft. Benning in 6 months for basic. How is it there?
>>
>>34343752
MOS?
>>
>>34343769
25N
>>
I ship into the marines in 5 months under a recon contract. Any training tips/ workouts I should implement?
>>
>>34343154
I'm a 7011 Expeditionary Airfields Systems Tech.
Google would do more justice for an explanation. Basically we build airfields out of aluminum matting, maintain the airfield lighting, and we also operate arresting gear, which is the stuff that aircraft carriers use to catch jets but on land.

The Corps really isn't that bad. you'll here people complain 24/7 but those are usually people who came from money or hadn't worked a day in their life. Talking with my friends who joined other branches I've realized that the Corps has more BS in it but it really matters on your unit.
>>
>>34343135
Europe on a MAGTF. It's pretty much BS for 6 months.
>>
>>34344362
Coming from a recon drop you probably fucked up with a recon contract. statistically I looked great for a recon contract but as soon as I hit boot camp all my numbers dropped. I went from 1st class PFT to barely scrapping the 1st class threshold. It wasn't until I hit the fleet for about year that I was blowing the PFT out the water but now I realized that the recon/infantry thing is over played and you'll hate life.

I didn't drop for physical reasons anyway. Had a girl back home I was trying to get back too. Bad choose, she turned out to be a cheating whore.
>>
>>34344362
Get extremely comfortable with swimming.
>>
File: 1416711866672.jpg (77KB, 800x758px) Image search: [Google]
1416711866672.jpg
77KB, 800x758px
>Lost tons of weight
>Decide to enlist because not much else going on in life
>Had to strip down for my anus test
>Doctor asks me how much weight I've lost
>Wonder how he knew
>Check my ass out in the mirror when I get home
>Ass skin hanging looks like triple stack of pancakes
>tfw I feel absolute shame in having to show the MEPS doctor that
Guess I better start doing squats before they see my ass at boot camp.
>>
File: image.jpg (36KB, 400x460px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36KB, 400x460px
>>34344531
>>
>>34344362
But I guess I should offer tips. Swim. Swim alot. my recruiter repeated to me a million times that I had better be a good swimmer. When you get to recon you'll notice that new joins such as yourself will be put in MART- Marines awaiting recon training. You have to be selected to go on to BRPC- Basic Recon Premier Course. Once you complete 6 weeks of that you'll go on to BRC- Basic Recon Course which is 3 months.

To even get picked up from MART you'll need to prove you belong. You'll do so by doing a physical test that they hold every month or so. I've seen people with low as fuck PFT scores get picked before people with 285 PFT scores just because they could swim better. You will be in Cali for a very long time so don't expect to leave anytime soon when you get there. Once you do leave Cali, the training won't stop for about another year.
>>
What are some tips for getting through boot camp?
>>
>>34344571
Kill all the sand fleas you see and present them to your DI as trophies of how badass you are.
>>
File: 1476053476131.jpg (185KB, 1698x1140px) Image search: [Google]
1476053476131.jpg
185KB, 1698x1140px
I've heard horror stories of getting your wisdom teeth pulled during boot, but mine are kinda bothering me and I don't have the cash to do it. Anyone know about this?
>>
>>34332274
u bedder be a brad colbert boy
>>
>>34344531
Losing weight is nothing to be ashamed of. You should be proud of your pancakes.
>>
>>34340372
ROTC site says the minimum.
>>
>>34344810
is 2.5 GPA to be a pilot.
>>
>>34340801
Found the pasta. Fuck that. No Nuke for me. I'll just go in as electricians mate.
>>
>>34344677
If you enlist, theyll pull them out
>>
>>34344861
Not that anon, but my wisdom teeth are perfectly fine and never bothered me. Do I still need them pulled out?
>>
How do you get out of the military with a general discharge?

What are some things you have seen people do?
>>
From this thread I gather that that nuke enlisted is one of the shittiest and least respected jobs. Does the same go for their nuke officers?
>>
Tips for job interview and psych testing?
Worried I could fuck it up

Also what happens if you enlist SF direct and washout? Are you banished from SF?
>>
>>34345195

Being a fatass and failing pt tests is the biggest one I've seen net someone a general under honorable.
>>
>>34340372

People selected for pilot in my ots class has 3.0s with engineering degrees.

You guys are so full of shit when it comes to air force requirements.
>>
>>34346297
>tips for psych testing
Don't be a psycho.

>18x washout
You can attempt selection again at a later date after you meet the regular rank + time in service requirements assuming the cadre didn't drop you for being a psycho.
>>
>>34345195
>Fail PT tests (often honorable in the AF)
>Fail major tests like your career training
>Being a major shitbag and constantly showing up late, not getting work done, etc
>Falling asleep on post
>Showing up drunk/excessive DUIs/drunk on duty
>Fradulent Enlistment/lying on SF86
>Drugs

It doesn't really impact your life in the civ world aside from government/DoD jobs. Depending on the circumstances, you may or may not want to speak too much about your military service.
The main kicker is that you don't get the GI Bill, so it's important to shoot for that honorable if that's your goal.

Other than Honorable and BCD (Bad Conduct) are the ones that you really don't want to get. You do have to *really* fuck up to get those, like assault or abuse of authority/trust.
You forfeit most of your benefits and probably shouldn't mention your time in the military, lest prospective employers do some digging.

Dishonorable is equivalent to a felony, but is generally reserved for rape/murder/mutiny/AWOL, though most AWOL people get OTH discharges since they run away stateside.
>>
just PCSd to my first base. how do i not be a fuckup
>>
>>34348733
>>34348733
>>34348733

NEW THREAD

>>34348733
>>34348733
>>34348733
>>
>>34348505
Show up to work and formations on time.
Make your supervisor look good.
Give an effort, don't dodge (too much) work.
Stay in shape.

Basically, if you don't cause your superiors too many headaches and show that you are putting forth effort in whatever your job entails, you'll be in like the top half.

Way too many people just want to show up, dodge work all day, and collect a paycheck. Other people cause headaches by blatantly ignoring rules, getting DUIs, failing tests, etc. Stay out of those two camps and you'll do fine.
>>
>>34343530
I'd honestly just go to /int/ and ask a dutchman there. How many europeans even lurk /k/? just you and that british guy, from what i've seen.
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.