[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

this kills the katana

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 189
Thread images: 56

File: knight.jpg (48KB, 525x700px) Image search: [Google]
knight.jpg
48KB, 525x700px
this kills the katana
>>
*unsheathes tanegishima*
heh...your move...gaijin
>>
>>34307947
>heh...your move...gaijin
weeboo is smash by tin man
>>
File: 800px-Strings_for_night_firing.jpg (279KB, 800x1147px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Strings_for_night_firing.jpg
279KB, 800x1147px
>>34307970
>>
>>34307938
Man, for an ignorant peasant that would really be the most terrifying thing on earth. It's like you have to fight the Silver fuckin Surfer and he's got a lightsaber
>>
>>34307947
who do you think gave the nips the "tamegishima"? europeans.
>>
>>34307938
*invents gunpowder*
your move, westerner
>>
>>34308011

>invents gunpowder
>fails to ever effectively use it
>people literally from the other side of the world come around five hundred years later and subjugate you with your own invention

Jesus Christ they must have felt pretty retarded.
>>
>>34308011
>>
>>34308011
chinese, not japanese. japs were such an inbred backwater that they didn't get guns until 600 years later when the europeans gave it to them.

your move, baka dana watashi.
>>
>>34307986
Ironically, this kind of full plate was developed at a time when more or less lightly armored halberdiers had already become dominant on the battlefield.
>>
>>34308028
The chemical composition of Chinese gun powder was honestly too slow burning for firearms.

Don't quote me but I read they used something else as the oxidizer and until the Europeans started using salt Peter the gun powder burned too slow.
>>
File: comfut-4.jpg (297KB, 800x533px)
comfut-4.jpg
297KB, 800x533px
>>34307986

>>34307986

Reminds me of the time someone pointed out how in Africa, people believe in outright magic and child soldiers go to war in wedding dresses and shit. So to them, a foreign soldier in real camo, armor, and full tacticool kit complete with edgy skull mask would look like a fucking Terminator.
>>
>>34307938
th...thanks Captain Obvious...
>>
>>34309210
This is wrong, is it?

The time when halberdier become dominant was the 16th century, and this was the early stage of gunpowder weapons, meaning armor becoming more and more useless.
>>
>>34309300
>Africans knowing what 'The Terminator' is
>>
>>34307981

Why is string?
>>
>>34309543
preventing muzzle lift ?
>>
>>34309543
If I remember correctly majority were PGO muskets. So string is used to stabilize gun when aiming.
>>
>>34309300
Where can I get one of those retarded optic systems for my MG36 clone?
>>
>>34309543
So that you always shoot in roughly the same position, elevation of the weapon, etc. There is no stock so it used two strings instead.
It was done in the 80's and 90's with certain stockless short smg (steyr tmp particularly).
You push up until the string is completely extended on both sides and voilà, you shoot roughly always at the same point.
There is a very cool scene in Kurosawa's Rashomon where a guy set up a shot at night into the general's tent by adjusting the gun's ropes during the day, then he simply get back into the same arrangement and shoot the same exact spot he was targeting hours earlier.
>>
>>34309795
I think, but not sure, that that's a french "FELIN" combat system, it costs like 18k €
>>
>>
>>34309501

You'd be surprised how many African national militaries and militias adore American action movies.

At the rate every guerilla and warlord since the 90's has called himself Commando, Rambo, Predator or some variant thereof, I wouldn't be surprised if some chucklefuck in the CIA decided to include free VHS tapes to every anticommunist guerilla with their weapon & supply drops.
>>
>>34309300

>its so hot
>this rifle is heavy
>retarded frankenreich shit all over me doesnt work when i sweat on it
>cant see sheisse now
>my feet hurt
>how come hans gets chocolate chip desert
>i wanted chocolate chip desert
>everybody knows chocolate chip desert is true sex
>why am i here university is free anyway
>fucking frankenreich
>>
>>34309889
>>34309947
It's a FELIN system tested by the spanish military.
>>
>>34309300
>File: comfut-4.jpg (297 KB, 800x533)

holy shat that looks miserable as fuck. wearing pic related you'd be 9000 times more compfy....
>>
>>34309933
Who doesn't like American entertainment?
>>
>>34309968
Why does this make me aroused?
>>
>>34307986
>Man, for an ignorant peasant that would really be the most terrifying thing on earth. It's like you have to fight the Silver fuckin Surfer and he's got a lightsaber

Wasn't there evidence that plate generally was blued (blue or black), oiled treated (brown-green tint) or painted and that "bright" shiny armor was actually a result of victorian times? It became fashionable to polish told old armors for display purposes.

It's quite logical, since polished shiny armor would rust quickly as fuck and would be super high maintenance.

So a peasant meeting your knight would likely be met with black armor, not shiny silver surfer bullshit.
>>
>>34310097
That almost sounds more horrifying, encountering some steel man in black armor, almost as if you were fighting an avatar of Satan himself.
>>
>>34307938
If we ignore cavalry how did the knight fight exactly? Did they just walk around the battlefield hitting random soldiers or did they actually fight in formation as well? Just hard for me to visualise dismounted knights fighting against something like a shield wall or pike formation.
>>
>>34307986
The average cop could kill everyone around him with his service pistol but cops don't really strike terror to civilians (inb4 motor vehicle tickets). I would guess an armored knight wouldn't really strike fear to a peasant unless the knight was attacking.

Unless the knight was mounted you could just slowly jog away from him.
>>
>>34310131
>Unless the knight was mounted you could just slowly jog away from him.
oh boy

>A complete suit of plate armour made from well-tempered steel would weigh around 15–25 kg (33-55 pounds).[2] The wearer remained highly agile and could jump, run and otherwise move freely as the weight of the armour was spread evenly throughout the body.
>>
>>34310122
they were highly trained guards that operated in small groups that guarded royalty and castles etc. and fought in small numbers
>>
>>34309314
Err...

>By about 1420, complete suits of plate armour had been developed.
>The halberd was the primary weapon of the early Swiss armies in the 14th and early 15th centuries.[3]
>German wiki claims that halberds were most useful at about 1470
>By the fifteenth century they [the swiss mercenaries] were greatly valued as mercenary soldiers, particularly following their series of notable victories in the Burgundian Wars [1474-1477] in the latter part of the century.

So at the time that full plate armor became a thing (don't know when the OP example would be from) halberds were used and proven, but not exactly common.
(Also, halberdiers would also use as much armor as possible, though not usually full plate).
Following this, armies would evolve into pike and shot armies with ever fewer halberdiers.
>>
>>34310122
>>34310185
> In the 15th and 16th centuries, large bodies of men-at-arms numbering thousands or even more than ten thousand men (as many as 60% of an army) were fighting on foot wearing full plate next to archers and crossbowmen[citation needed]. This was commonly seen in the Western European armies especially of France and England during the Hundred Years War, the Wars of the Roses or the Italian Wars.[citation needed]
Not citations, but sounds about right.

Consider though that a knight would also be a (lower) noble who might have functions as officer, administrator etc. and might be feuding in small groups during peacetime, depending on the area where he lived.
>>
>>34310097
>Wasn't there evidence that plate generally was blued (blue or black), oiled treated (brown-green tint) or painted and that "bright" shiny armor was actually a result of victorian times?

no. most quality armour was highly polished and polisher was a trade of it's own and cost a lot. polished armour does not rust as quickly as unpolished armour which is why it was polished in the first place.
>>
>>34310131
>but cops don't really strike terror to civilians
Depends who you are and where you live, I don't particularly enjoy seeing cops around and it gets even worse when they casually walk around town with rifles and smg as if they were in occupied territory.
>>
>>34309933
Aside from the famous ones like General Buttnaked, Prince Johnson, and Taylor, the war in Liberia had two General Rambos, a General Mosquito, and even a General Mosquito Spray.
>>
>>34310009
>Why does this make me aroused?
because it's the equivalent of the most gucci HSLD gear you could get today.
>>
>>34310248
but wouldnt they be easy to see with like bright polished armor? why didnt they paint them camo
>>
>>34310131
The average cop does not operate after a chivalric code that literally has "menace the peasantry" on its to do list.
>>
>>34310097
>So a peasant meeting your knight would likely be met with black armor, not shiny silver surfer bullshit.
Some armor were black with white outlier though, it's a typical 16th century style of presentation, but a good deal were definitely trying to be shiny. The art of the period certainly points towards that anyway.
>>
File: almain rivet.jpg (64KB, 662x1000px)
almain rivet.jpg
64KB, 662x1000px
>>34310256
>but wouldnt they be easy to see with like bright polished armor? why didnt they paint them camo

why didn't hessian troop wear camo? it was a different mindset about all things war. yes, polished armour would show specs of rust and coloring especially if you got some blood on it. so what, polish it again if it bothers you. and yes, munitions grade armour of later ages was treated with a linseed oil that was burnt onto it. but generally speaking, 1400s armour of the german gothig, milanese italian and british patterns was highly polished. even this cheap off the rack suit retains it's polish some 400 years after it has been used for the last time.
>>
>>34310252
>chilling out in the burger king with bbq bacon burger
>no one else around
>suddenly an entire armed offenders squad rolls in for lunch
>surrounded by 30 dudes dressed head to toe in body armour
>mp5s everywhere
did not fell comfy at all
but it turns out they had just come from a regional training exercise with the Special Tactics Group and the army
they just wanted some food

same thing with the three cops that burst into the fish and chip shop
or the 8 squaddie who showed up for milk shakes and were wandering all up and down the ave
it was a weird month
>>
>>34307947
*pulls out mortar*
You were saying?
>>
>>34310256
>easy to see
Gee I hope they don't see me or my thousands of friends in this formation
>>
File: 1496537400949.jpg (45KB, 504x470px)
1496537400949.jpg
45KB, 504x470px
>>34310291
was this Britbongistan? Just last week I went to Germong-y by train and was passed over by a metal detector cop backed up by another one with an MP5. I guess that's the meaning of "part & parcel" alright... the the worst part is I'm the whitest dude you'll ever meet.
>>
what a period 1450-60s middle class merc for formation fighting would have looked like, sans long arm like a halbard.
>>
>>34310307
nz its just that we have some of the same slang
and my town is not so far away from one of the largest army bases

something really odd would have to be going on for cops to have guns here
like cops guarding the entrance of the court with bushmasters when the mongrel mob is on trial
or when a tinny house bust goes very badly

>by train
they are pretty strict on the trains
my dad was on the metro in London and had his folding nicked by the rail cops
but me mum managed to keep her knitting needles and garlic scissors

I know people who want to visit Paris because of the memes
but their trip has been postponed a few years
since things kicked off I'm not so sure if there will be any Europe left to go to
and I worry about people who still want to go
>>
File: Koryak_armor.jpg (41KB, 381x421px)
Koryak_armor.jpg
41KB, 381x421px
cant touch this
>>
>>34310351
>they are pretty strict on the trains

well as recently as 15 months ago you would not have dreamt of ever seeing a cop with an MP on a train here, much less them searching you with a metal detector. but hey, gotta get with dem diversity programs...

https://www.thelocal.se/20170423/man-stabbed-on-board-swedish-train

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2017/06/15/sweden-migrant-cries-racism-when-woman-in-hijab-asked-to-show-train-ticket-attacks-passengers-with-knife/

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/783701/Sweden-subway-stabbed-Stockholm-Stureby-south-police-manhunt
>>
>>34310122
Yes of course, they fight in formation like everybody else.

Except the formation can be loose.
>>
>>34310256

/k/ should HEMA in cerakoted atacs AR500 steel plate armor
>>
>>34310205
landsknechte and the like were mercenaries
knights were noblemen
they could buy better armor

btw the japs used guns in the sengoku jidai
>>
>>34310379
>that last link
Sorry, we are unable to accept comments about this article at the moment
fug makes me wonder how long places like 4chan will persist

>but hey, gotta get with dem diversity programs...
yep there are plenty of dumb sheltered idealists in university towns who like to feign relevance
and they are doing the best they can to turn even this obscure part of the word into the 9th circle of hell
>>
>>34310451
>yep there are plenty of dumb sheltered idealists in university towns who like to feign relevance

sure those are loud but the real thing is a political racket: construction companies build housing on gifted public land, tax free, tax payer subsidized. They then own those commie blocks and rent them back to the state for housing of "refugees". my city just built a whole new district with some 8000 housing units to that effect. I'm looking at 11 cranes through my window as we speak. I don't think liberal pieco of shit humanities students are relevant to this debate, there are more important people who are responsible for this....
>>
>>34310307
Ya'll need to lynch that goddamn coon mayor already
>>
File: psyops.jpg (106KB, 736x632px)
psyops.jpg
106KB, 736x632px
what is the Japanese armour made entirely of wood called ?
the kind that involves strapping blocks of wood to forearms and shins
>>
File: 01.gif (1MB, 625x352px)
01.gif
1MB, 625x352px
>>34310097
>since polished shiny armor would rust quickly as fuck and would be super high maintenance.
Yes, it would. This is the point.

Mandatory to watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COAIQPsgZWY
>>
>>34310534
HEMA trash here. I've been around the block and even low quality euro armour like >>34310274 and pic provides substantially better protection than japanese stuff. a full german field gothic harness dude like >>34310254 would +- basically see no difference between an armoured or unarmoured jap...
>>
>>34310496
>sure those are loud
and given voice by mass media
and legalism by appeals to emotion and other thought and discussion killers

>the real thing is a political racket
no doubt some idots are just tools of the elite

>construction companies build housing
they are too incompotent to build anything
but that does not stop private companys buying up old state houses
knocking all the buldings down
makeing each house cost $5000,000
then waiting around for the goverment and tax payers to pay for the roads and plubing and electrisity to the houses

>there are more important people who are responsible for this....
like the club of Rome...
but that is on a level too big for people to grasp
>>
>>34310617
>and given voice by mass media

the MSM is more in league with those building consortiums really. the libruls peasant trash is just a tool the paste on the screen to get their way.

>they are too incompotent to build anything

dunno, they are building 15 story tall commie blocks all over the place justs fine.
>>
File: Nanban dou.jpg (84KB, 736x700px)
Nanban dou.jpg
84KB, 736x700px
>>34310552
yes but I figure it is more flexible and a little lighter
steel armour has to be allot more complex in order to be as flexible
or it will use chain mail in the gaps

also Japan have less steel to work with
but they did eventually start using more plate style armour
>>
>>34310647

>that fucking helmet

what they suppose to do with it? bull-charge enemy castle gate?
>>
>>34310647
>yes but I figure it is more flexible and a little lighter

the flexibility is a non issue if you have a suit tailored to you. remember, the parts aren't pounded from homogenous gauge steel sheets but have variable thickness according to the need of the part. your forearm plates will be around 0.5mm in many field harnesses which means they are incredibly light.

>steel armour has to be allot more complex in order to be as flexible

true, but armourers had this pretty well figured out by 1400 and if you were rich you could get a geat suit long before that too.

>or it will use chain mail in the gaps

most field suits from the 1400 do that.

>but they did eventually start using more plate style armour

they started using european style breast plates but the rest remained the same - basically just clothes with iron langets and maille sewn to it. meanwhile on a full plate european man every freaking part of his body is an impact weapon.
>>
>>34310690
He looks so fucking sad about what he's doing
>>
>>34310740
guess so...
>>
>>34310685
i doubt he does much fighting, hes there for his men to identify him as a commander.
>>
>>34310534
Maybe lacquer/o-yoroi?
>>
File: Habitat 67.jpg (2MB, 2400x1553px)
Habitat 67.jpg
2MB, 2400x1553px
>the MSM
just looking at the logos tells all I need to know
studying symbols can really ruin ones perception

>they are too incompetent to build anything
at least where I am they spend the money but get no results
its all a scam to gut the public sector
many formally government owned assets are now rotting in private and foreign ownership
we used to have something like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_wealth_fund
but the gov betrayed its people

>they are building 15 story tall commie blocks all over the place just fine.
where you at any way ?
sounds like riots and fires are in the near future
high density housing is not to be messed with
>>
>>34310749
Do you know about crotch protection? Because most of the suits I've seen seem to be open on the bottom with the bit of chainmail shirt hanging out. I assume this wasn't really an issue of you were fighting on horseback, but seeing as armor on armor fighting was all about finding weak points it seems like a really big opening. Was stuff like >>34310343 common?
>>
>>34310791
>where you at any way ?
Graz, Austria. They sure are trying to emulate ghettos like Marseille and other famous commie block no go zones...
>>
>>34310685
>commander has skewered 4 men on each horn by the end of the Battle
Strongest neck in japan
>>
File: Ms.Thott.290.2º_085v.jpg (570KB, 2000x1324px) Image search: [Google]
Ms.Thott.290.2º_085v.jpg
570KB, 2000x1324px
>>34310808
crotch, ass, back of thighs, knees, ellbow and armpits usually get maille "voiders" sewn to the aketon/Rüstwamms, a strong, unpadded, linen undergarment worn under the armour. you can see the maille on the crotch and ass in pic related while the full set of thigh maille was foregone by this fighter. the armoured fighting manuals of the period name even the soles of the feet as "chinks" in armour but you have to see these in their context. if you attack the crotch, you are trying to stab through 2 layers of maille while he is likely to just stab you in the face.
>>
>>34310307
>>34310291
>dark enough hair and brown enough eyes to frequently being mistaken for middle eastern of southern european
>used to be chill around cops because dad used to be a cop
>get "randomly" selected at airports enough times to get self conscious about lack of whiteness
>been stopped by cops since sounding like they were sure I had already done something
>get job a 7eleven in a freaky neighborhood during nights
>pushers, gangsters, junkies, prostitutes and drunks everywhere
>customers casually ask me about directions for drugs or prostitutes
>being a helpful and professional clerk i tell them
>only for cops to arrive in the store moments later while they're still there
>coolface.jpg
>despite this always appreciate cops in the store and repeatedly report on gypsy activity because fuck those cunts

Funny part is, working at 7eleven has made me a lot more cool with getting profiled in airports because profiling people just makes any job so much fucking easier, I profiled fuck out of my customers.

Also:
>germany
>trains
My dad's cousin got GSG9'd twice during his interrail trip through Germany for being the spitting image of Andreas Baader.

>>34310351
My dad went to Paris years back with my step mom and had his tiny nail cutter with rubber tips confiscated while my step mom got to keep her 15cm pointed end nail file.
>>
>>34310915
>My dad's cousin got GSG9'd twice during his interrail trip through Germany for being the spitting image of Andreas Baader.

doubt it was gsg but yes, those traitorous cunts from the cops and military have their priorities straight at all times...
>>
>>34310685
to strike terror in the heart of you enemy

>>34310740
or he is really tired
the battles depicted here are more like trial by combat or a dual to settle some feud
it was a blood sport and the maker of the book made drawings of the fight to sell to people who were soon to fight
he also made weapons and studied the fights him self to learn the best methods

>>34310754
something older
>>
>>34310863
>dagger stabs to the sole
Nasty way to go. It seems that there was a lot of thought put into armor v armor combat, but how frequenty was it actually happening in battle? Plate v plate I mean. Any famous accounts of accounts at all?

Capcha: Hospital Pope
>>
>>34310973
*or accounts at all
>>
>>34310973
http://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Category:Armored_Fencing
>>
File: cat armor.jpg (37KB, 440x500px)
cat armor.jpg
37KB, 440x500px
>>34310817
>Graz, Austria
>deep concern intensify's
apartment blocks are pretty hellish
habitat 67 has an ok kind of lay out compared to them

>>34310853
uahhhh
cant breathe
trying not to laugh so loud at 2 am

>>34310915
I never used to be racist
up till I was 10 had a few friends from overseas who happened to come a close enough background
really kicked in when I started encountering more of "them" at my secondary shcool
and by 20 im pritty much irredeemably hostile and untrusting of people
I cant feel sympany any more
Matthew 7:6 and Joshua 24:20 come to mind

>tfw in Society of the Holy Name
>but not a habeeber
>>
>>34310365

>Tactical sleeping bag.
>>
>>34311100
>>
>>34310428
I don't even want to imagine how heavy full AR500 harness would weigh
>>
>>34310253
Niggas got some great banter
>>
>>34311100
>nuclear caterpillar
>>
File: Itachi's_Sharingan.png (682KB, 1912x1079px)
Itachi's_Sharingan.png
682KB, 1912x1079px
>>34307938
>this kills the western piggus
>>
File: 1496327503523.png (1MB, 1695x2142px)
1496327503523.png
1MB, 1695x2142px
>>34311841
>>
File: 1496329073151.png (518KB, 1118x701px)
1496329073151.png
518KB, 1118x701px
>>34311917
>>
>>34309300
>africans are literally orcs but without the WAAAGH!
It gets a lot less sad and a lot more hilarious that way.
>>
>>34309968
It'll also cost 9000 more
>>34310009
Tailor made work of biomechanical art incorporating everything from metalurgy to jewelry to make a second skin of steel.

Shit is pretty sexy
>>
>>34310534
They only used wood armor in the very early periods, by the feudal era, armor was made only of iron or steel, plus all the sorts of padded clothes and silk ones of course. You would have to look bronze age Japan for wooden armor basically.
>>
>>34307938
*knocks you to the ground*
*stabs you in the face with tanto*
*dreams of a /k/ where people understand that longswords and katanas aren't the only weapons on the planet*
>>
>>34310973
It was pretty common in the whole 15th century really, in Azincourt for instance, there was fighting between english and french man-at-arms and knights. Most of the foot vanguard would be typically heavily clad man-at-arms and you would respond by deploying your own, so there's no reason to think that two group of warriors in plate armor wouldn't clash regularly in battle, especially since knights would look for their equal to fight.

And this is not even talking about ruled armored fights of course.
>>
>>34309968
>holy shat that looks miserable as fuck
It is
About the only upside of being in a modern military compared to say the 15th century is that our medical care is better than some freak hairdresser with a leach.
>>
>>34312015
>*knocks you to the ground*

with what? his unarmored hands and feet? his 25kg less bodyweight? his 20cm less height? dream on son goku...

>*dreams of a /k/ where people understand that longswords and katanas aren't the only weapons on the planet*

the knight has a spear too and he will rek the naginata (lol weapon for women) samurai any time of day with it.
>>
>>34312015
>Tanto
>not a yoroi doshi
>>
>>34312123
>naginata (lol weapon for women)
I know this is trolling but still...
>>
>>34312123
>with what?
This hot new thing called wrestling, you might've heard of it from any culture ever.
>unarmored hands
The Japs had gauntlets my dude.
>the knight has a spear too
Very much like wrestling everyone has polearms too.

I sincerely hope you're just playing a character but Poe's law and all that.

>>34312138
Yoroi-doshi is a tanto Anon, just a specific variation.
>>
>>34310256
Because when you have hundreds of people fighting hand to hand you don't want to be hidden, you want to be as distinct looking as possible so one of your buddies doesn't mistake you for the enemy and stab you in the back.
Why do you think everyone wore bright, colourful clothing?
>>
File: 16092016289.jpg (653KB, 2592x1456px)
16092016289.jpg
653KB, 2592x1456px
>>34312191
>This hot new thing called wrestling, you might've heard of it from any culture ever.

yeah, I'd like to see you try when I put on my armour. You talk a good game but unless you have armour of your own, wrestling is a fantasy because every part of my body can cripple you.

>The Japs had gauntlets my dude.

no. they had back of the hand plates but nothing that comes close to a mitten or fingered gauntlet.
>>
>>34311924
those guys are kinda cute
>>
>>34310152
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-bnM5SuQkI
>>
File: 1452526393003.jpg (704KB, 2000x1500px)
1452526393003.jpg
704KB, 2000x1500px
>>34311981
>It'll also cost 9000 more

no. a regular gothic harness for a man at arms would cost about half a years pay max which is why there is so much of that stuff around still. granted, the pic is a somewhat higher class suit but good armour is not something you'd have needed to be filthy rich or a noble to afford.
>>
>>34310253
how about general buttnaked (joshua Blayhi)'s troops being called "The Tupac Army"
>>
>>34312389
B-but Tupac alive in Srbija?
>>
>>34310256
It's more valuable to intimidating than concealed in an open field battle of the late medieval period, where much of the violence is done in team melee, in the open, and only runs to about ~8% casualties before one side realises they're fucked and breaks.
>>
File: Jap gauntlets.jpg (348KB, 1024x768px)
Jap gauntlets.jpg
348KB, 1024x768px
>>34312257
>I'd like to see you try when I put on my armour
Things that knock people over outside of armor work just as well when they're in it Anon.
>they had back of the hand plates but nothing that comes close to a mitten or fingered gauntlet.
What happened to "unarmored"?
>>
>>34312555
>Things that knock people over outside of armor work just as well when they're in it Anon.

so which part of my body will you "knock over" or punch with that gounglet that doesn't even have the brass knuckles effect of every euro mitt/fingered gountlet? Ever heard of Battle of the Nations? You do realize that I can take a punch with the crest of my helmet without any issues right? it may not be healthy but I'm not doing it every day. you are talking out of your ass.

>What happened to "unarmored"?

that's what you pic basically shows. if you'd ever even tried to grapply in armour with sharp sword, you'd know your hand protection there is a sure way to get your fingers sheard off, cut off, snapped etc.
>>
>>34312663
>punch
I'm sorry are you running all of this through Google translate or something? Because when people talk about wrestling they're generally not talking about strikes. T B H the fact that you don't seem to know how big a role wrestling plays in pretty much all martial arts is making me think twice about taking you seriously, not to mention this "1v1 me bro" attitude behind all of your posts.
>that's what you pic basically shows.
No it isn't. If you want to argue that their armor isn't as good as something else then whatever but that is not unarmored.
>>
>>34307981
>Knight pulls out superimposed load 6 shot Wheelock rifle
>Shoots nip from out of the range of his shitty copy of a smooth bore Portuguese match lock
>>
>>34312765
>I'm sorry are you running all of this through Google translate or something? Because when people talk about wrestling they're generally not talking about strikes. T B H the fact that you don't seem to know how big a role wrestling plays in pretty much all martial arts is making me think twice about taking you seriously, not to mention this "1v1 me bro" attitude behind all of your posts.

sorry but you said "knock over" which to me means punches. Unlike you, who's talking from a position of a cursory google search about HEMA and armored fighting, I'm an actual practitioner of said craft.

>No it isn't. If you want to argue that their armor isn't as good as something else then whatever but that is not unarmored.

great, enjoy your crippled hands. meanwhile, like >>34310863 shows, many euro gaunlets had fine mesh maille even on the palm of the hand.
>>
>>34309501
Ghanaians do at least
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXYmFqEkCGQ
>>
>>34312835
>sorry but you said "knock over" which to me means punches.
I specifically said wrestling in my 2nd post and I'm starting to think that you intentionally ignored that in order to argue against a point that I'm not making.
>Unlike you, who's talking from a position of a cursory google search about HEMA
Nice passive aggression dude but real talk, would it kill you to act like an adult? Would it literally stop your heart to do so? At that, do you seriously think I had to hit up Google to know that wrestling is a thing in the West? Do you not know that tons of schools here in the US offer Greco-Roman wrestling?
>>
>>34312998
>Do you not know that tons of schools here in the US offer Greco-Roman wrestling?

GR wrestling != Kapmpfringen in armour mate. Not by a very, veeery long shot.
>>
>>34313026
>The point
>Your head
Dude I'm sorry but talking to you is like talking to a brick wall.
>>
>>34313099
no. your point was that a nipp in his yoroi could just walk up to a fully armoured euro and wrestle him "down" (which is dumb in itself) because "reasons". Which I contest. he would not. he'd get his hands rekt and face smashed in by every turn of the knight with his ellbows etc. who could also basically take a spear to the face thanks to he bevor mounted to the breast plate.
>>
>>34309300
That's almost verbatim from Black Hawk Down.
>>
>>34310863
>tfw Wojack is a knight and you are not.
>>
>>34313150
>your point was that a nipp in his yoroi could just walk up to a fully armoured euro and wrestle him "down" (which is dumb in itself) because "reasons".
My point was that the Japs, like everyone else, practiced wrestling. Like everyone else, they'd developed techniques to deal with armor. Like everyone else, they stole a good chunk of them from the Chinese. I put forward one hypothetical by which an armored opponent like the one in the OP could be put down. Is the issue here that you think that I think that the samurai had some sort of mystical wrasslin' power? Because I don't. Put 2 similarly armored yuros in a ring with longswords and daggers and that fight is also likely going to end up on the ground with a dagger in someone's face.
>>
>>34313388
>Put 2 similarly armored yuros in a ring with longswords and daggers and that fight is also likely going to end up on the ground with a dagger in someone's face.

no, or only after the euro lay dying. ground fighting wrestling of the type you're thinking of (similar to GR wrestling) is almost absent from Kampffechten:

http://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Category:Armored_Fencing
http://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Hans_Czynner (click armoured fencing for images)

http://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Sigmund_ain_Ringeck (click short sword gloss)
>>
>>34313522
>ground fighting wrestling of the type you're thinking of (similar to GR wrestling) is almost absent from Kampffechten
Not the same anon but it's all there is in the gladiatoria though. Some of it in Talhoffer as well and voilà!
>>
File: 002.jpg (210KB, 574x910px)
002.jpg
210KB, 574x910px
>>34312663
>>34312998
>>34313150
>>34312257
>>34312123
>>34313522
>how to end them rightly
>>
>>34313603
>Not the same anon but it's all there is in the gladiatoria though. Some of it in Talhoffer as well and voilà!

wanna lie some more?

http://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Gladiatoria_group

the plays which could believable be said to be "ground fighting" are the absolte minority.
>>
>>34313522
>ground fighting wrestling of the type you're thinking of
I'm not thinking of ground fighting Anon, that's why the first thing after going to the ground in my first post was a stab to the face.

>When you [come to] each other, then be aware which foot he sets forward, then strike him to the left side with your right [foot]. From the beating aside, spring to him with your right foot behind his left, and press behind his knee joint with your right knee, and using both hands tear him backwards over your knee.
And you've brought it full circle by posting a link to the exact throw that I was envisioning when I made my first post which makes this whole shitshow pointless. Not to mention:
>Bring the forbidden wrestlings to the lesson wisely, to lock find the strength to wend over with. When he runs in, then drop your sword and use carefully the wrestling, that belong to the battle fight. These shall not be taught or shown in publicly accessible fencing schools, so is it from all to show sword mastery closed. Because he will to the earest fight to use dignity, and there are arm breaks, leg pieces, testicle thrusts, death strikes, knee thrusts, finger breaks and eye grips [gouges] and more.
>When he runs in, then drop your sword and use carefully the wrestling
>drop your sword and use carefully the wrestling
Where do we go from here Anon?
>>
>>34313620
yeah, Wallhausen is great

>beat him dead with your Glock
>>
>>34313662
It's all there is in the "grappling" session, you were trolling back then with the whole japanese stupidity, now this is another level.
>>
File: a25.jpg (67KB, 575x600px)
a25.jpg
67KB, 575x600px
>>34313672
dark souls maximilian armour was nice, i'll give you that.
>>
>>34309902
fake
that katana was folded only 100 times and by a american piggu
>>
>>34307938

Want that, but made from 5mm Titanium.
>>
>>34310647
A sign to distinguish the leader?
Who is not afraid of a guy which gets hit by the first lightining each time wears that helmet?
I give 1 in a 10000 that it works a bit like a faraday cage. For an instant. Once.
Looks a bit of a gundam too.
>>
>>34313835
why? I'd want 1-1.5mm (2mm for the helmet) stainless for it. I have stainless pots that are more than 50 years old, being used daily. imagine not giving a fuck about your armour at all...
>>
>>34313676
>Glock
More like AK "pistol"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp6CjU_eS2k
>>
HEMAfag here
You don't just wrestle a guy in armour, trust me I've tried it
You can just bout manage it but you will get injured by the armour and they will probably win 9 times out of 10 due to their mass and ability to harm you just from contact.

>pic related, me in just HEMA gear, and even with that I had bruises on my arms from defending from strikes.
>>
>>34310293
This board is for 18+ kiddo
>>
>>34311917
Made the fuckin screen cap
>>
katana was designed to go through flesh
Claymores/longswords were designed to go through armor

The katana is lighter and so, more maneuverable.
The longsword is bigger and delivers stronger hits.

If you were to smash them together, the claymore/longsword would "win" most of the time.

Two great designs, two differdnt purposes.
>>
>>34316489
You're right in that both are good weapons, a lot of HEMAfags seem idiotic in their anti-katana posting these days(there are still some legit katana fanboys, but they are very rare).

Katana and longsword are basically the same weight, and the longsword isn't made to go through armour. What people fail to realize is that the katana can still thrust well, and the longsword can cut nicely. If anybody actually does HEMA and also tries out japanese weapons, they'll find a lot of similarities and discover that it's really just preference. These days HEMA is on the rise and certain members are just as bad as the old katana fanboys. You'll see plenty of cringy Deus Vult fags and people who think the katana is this awful weapon that can't thrust and would bend immediately.
>>
>>34311148
Gondola.
>>
File: tip.jpg (79KB, 500x625px)
tip.jpg
79KB, 500x625px
>>34316489
>>34316644
>grorius nippon steel fanwankin
>>
>>34316489
>Claymores/longswords were designed to go through armor
>stopped reading there
>>
>>34316489
the anti armor capability of a longsword is not a function of the blade design, because against an armored opponent you hold the blade and hit them with the handle

you can't cut through armor with a longsword, that's stupid.
>>
>>34314825
>injuries due to armor

I could see this but on the battlefield I think we can assume the other guy will be wearing armor too

>they'll win due to mass

Maybe you should learn how to grapple.
>>
>>34316489
Literally nothing you just wrote is correct
>>
>>34316932
>>34316956
>>34317020
I think he means that it is more optimised for thrusting through joints than a curved, tanto point blade. Not that they're for cleaving through plate.
>>
File: kanabo.jpg (74KB, 342x950px)
kanabo.jpg
74KB, 342x950px
>>34307938
this kills the knight
>>
>>34307938
Medieval Europe was boring, gay, and had shit aesthetics
>>
>>34312389
>His rebel faction isn't called the West Side Niggaz
>>
>>34313863
I'm pretty sure that's why Gundams look like that.
>>
>>34307938
I know this is bait, but herr goes....*sigh*

Japanese Swordsmith
>selects refined iron (matsu-kobo) sand (harder than clumped Euro ore)
>heats (kankatsu) to over 7500°
>folds (higari-okatsu) and refolds up to 600 times (depending on client's instructions)
>quench knaps (nekota-rika) the blade an equal number of times
>sharpens (nomotogi-dentso) blade to a paper's edge
>makes scabbard (nomotogi-higun) the sides of which don't touch the blade

Euro blacksmith
>gets iron clump ore
>heats to 300°
>hammers
>no folds
>no quench
>wheel grinds it
>puts in rough leather scabbard which dulls blade rapidly

So, you choose, your blade. I know which one I would trust my life with in a duel (minitaba-taiba-no-makatsu).
>>
File: 1445453299757.jpg (37KB, 500x360px)
1445453299757.jpg
37KB, 500x360px
>>34319047
>>
>>34318175
Pretty much what I meant.
>>
>>34316956
>because against an armored opponent you hold the blade and hit them with the handle
No, you simply use the point, striking with the handle is an uncommon technique, not the mainstay of how the longsword was used against armor.
>>
>>34316489
>katana was designed to go through flesh
>Claymores/longswords were designed to go through armor
Katana could be used to fight against people in armor as well, you just have to realize that they weren't made to fight european armor, against which an accute point like the Type XV and XVI were obviously more useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aeWU8CYl5M
(same old link as ever but then)
>>
>>34309947
KEK
>>
File: 1493883185847.jpg (33KB, 480x640px)
1493883185847.jpg
33KB, 480x640px
>>34310122
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hlIUrd7d1Q
>>
File: bec-de-corbin.jpg (55KB, 695x521px)
bec-de-corbin.jpg
55KB, 695x521px
>>34319705
>>34310122
The sword was simply to create distance in formation, but once the brawl began plate armor fighting mostly consisted of grappling to exploit chinks in the armor with daggers, or blunt orce / ranged weapons like bec de corbin, mace, hammer, etc.
>>
>>34319716
Top bullshit, half-swording exist, and there are way more swords surviving than mace/hammers.
>>
>>34310307
>the the worst part is I'm the whitest dude you'll ever meet.
Don't you know that white males are the worst beings on the face of the earth? One innocent Muslim killing himself in a misunderstood cry for help is nothing compared to the oppression unleashed by ciswhite scum. Check your privilege you fucking shitlord.
>>
>>34318249
reminds me of Japanese Gimli
>>
>>34310248
ignore that faggot, he knows fucking nothing
>>
>>34316644
>a lot of HEMAfags seem idiotic in their anti-katana posting these days
>implying HEMAfags would care about childish /k/ {{{sword}}}threads.

serious sword debates now take place on /his/ or at the hema thread on /asp/. Hell, even /tg/ is better than /k/, this here is BudK & Coldsteel shitfest
>>
>>34319836
This, the Kendo/Kenjutsu guys got asylum on the HEMA general, real swordfags stick together and respect each others.
>>
>>34319705
i don't know if that nose hole was such a great idea
>>
>>34310647
>flexible
no lad
>>
Pollaxe master race here, swordfags are chumps.
>>
File: azza3200_1.jpg (92KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
azza3200_1.jpg
92KB, 500x700px
>>34320019
Pollaxes where the tacticool AR-15s of the medieval age, looks cool and used by the most elite operators.
It's a multi functional weapon system that can stab, smash and chop a nigga all in one go.
>>
>>34320019
>>34320036
But why do you need a military style assault halbard? I held one once, and the experience left me literally shaking, and beseeching heaven for peace.

It's just overkill, and totally dangerous in the wrong hands, only the King's men at arms should have them.
>>
>west has superior technology
>ends up conquering less land than china
WHITIES??
>>
>>34320098
I'm pretty sure that the European powers combined, held or colonised more land than China i.e. N.America, Australia, India, Africa, and everything in between (plus bits of China).
>>
>>34319047

All that heat and folding to attach it to a mild steel spine.

Really gets the spaghettios abubblin'
>>
>>34320019
Why would you choose between sword and polearm when you can have and wear both?
Also, someone skilled in a single weapon is useless out of his field of competence, that's why training was pretty much about many different weapons and tactics.
>>
>>34311262

Heavy enough. I know it'd be impractical, but I'd still do it.
>>
>>34320091
>Halberd
This is clearly a poleaxe you knave. Figures a lowborn like you wouldn't know the difference.
>>
>>34310256
>why didnt they paint them camo
Knights only fought on tournaments and in big battles.
Also, no point in camouflaging an armor that clanks with every step.
>>
File: 1461033184608.jpg (392KB, 1482x961px) Image search: [Google]
1461033184608.jpg
392KB, 1482x961px
postan
>>
File: 1496603430093.jpg (441KB, 1524x915px) Image search: [Google]
1496603430093.jpg
441KB, 1524x915px
>>
File: infantry.jpg (600KB, 1312x894px) Image search: [Google]
infantry.jpg
600KB, 1312x894px
>>
File: 1280px-Jauslin_Sempach_1889.jpg (319KB, 1280x959px) Image search: [Google]
1280px-Jauslin_Sempach_1889.jpg
319KB, 1280x959px
>>
File: 1488691455132.jpg (1MB, 848x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1488691455132.jpg
1MB, 848x1200px
>>
File: 1496602175286.jpg (1MB, 1414x1000px)
1496602175286.jpg
1MB, 1414x1000px
>>
File: IMG_0101.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0101.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>34310254
The best? No no no. Now pic related is the best.
>>
File: 1496603810008.jpg (333KB, 1500x1069px) Image search: [Google]
1496603810008.jpg
333KB, 1500x1069px
>>
File: 1472376248150.jpg (227KB, 1600x478px) Image search: [Google]
1472376248150.jpg
227KB, 1600x478px
Guns actually took a while to develop before they invalidated plate armour, early guns could be blocked by a bit of a steel and padding at longer ranges. You would either have to get a lucky shot or hit them from up close to take out a guy in a high quality suit of plate armour with a single shot.
>>
File: GBE-37667.jpg (119KB, 3244x777px) Image search: [Google]
GBE-37667.jpg
119KB, 3244x777px
Mordaxt is best Axt!
>>
>>34320295
>poleaxe
>not pollaxe
ticklered.tapestry
>>
>>34320717
Oh hey, parade armor on display at the Nelson.
Thread posts: 189
Thread images: 56

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.