[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did I fuck up?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: 0619172122a.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
0619172122a.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
Been working on my first mosin. Got rid of all cosmoline, and used an oven to sweat out the wood cosmoline. However, when putting it back together, the barrel band was a bitch to get down. The stock also seemed to bend away from the barrel toward the front. Once I got the two hand guards together I have a huge gap on one side (pic related) did I fuck it up?
>>
>>34306314
Sorta, but it doesn't matter.
>>
File: 0619172122b.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
0619172122b.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>34306314
Other side for reference
>>
>>34306327
What did I do and how fix?
>>
You threw your rifle in an oven and are surprised that the wood warped?
>>
>>34306314
You warped the stock, should have strapped it together and clamped it so it wouldn't do that.

You would have to steam the wood again and bend it back.

Also nice ex sniper, notice any plugged holes inside the receiver?
>>
>>34306372
Had it clamped together like >>34306384
said with vice grips. Thanks (not sure where to look), but is it going to affect how it shoots at all?
>>
congratulations. you personalized it. we call you bubba now.
>>
>>34306413

No but it will look stupid and you'll feel bad.
>>
>>34306413
It being an ex sniper shouldn't affect the accuracy.
>>
>>34306442
This is why I stick to modern firearms. Oh well, if it doesn't affect how it shoots I can wear it as a badge of autism
>>
>>34306451
Old guns are great and are super reliable. Don't throw your guns into ovens and you'll be fine.
>>
>>34306314

I'm pretty sure Mosins aren't Jewish, anon.
>>
How hot did you make the oven?
>>
>>34306314

That won't do anything to the gun's accuracy, other than looking a bit silly. For future reference, just do the following to make cosmoline fuck off:

>wrap gun in paper towel (just spin it around the gun)
>put wrapped gun in a black trash bag (or two if the gun is too long)
>seal trashbag with rubber band or string
>put gun trash bag contraption in a hot location such as a deck, a car's dashboard, a car's trunk, etc
>do this on a hot sunny day
>wait a few hours
>retrieve gun WITHOUT burning your hands
>remove paper towel, wipe gun down gently
>repeat until gun stops looking like a fat man trying to sprint

Generally, shit like ovens or fires are way too harsh and can fuck up the wood. Using the trash bag method will pretty much avoid excessive heat since it's just a slow sweat.
>>
Just leave it it's fine, if the wood slides around shim it by wrapping the barrel with an oil soaked strip of cloth, my mosin sniper had one of those from before it was imported in addition to other custom field shimming.
>>
>>34306580
Approx 170 with an open door.
>>34306595
Thanks, will do this next time. At least I messed up just the cosmetics.
>>34306617
Will do, but I don't think ill have to worry about it sliding at all, things tighter than a cunt in a convent
>>
>>34306413

Look at the high wall of the receiver for 2 pencil-eraser sized circles, those are where your scope holes were plugged. The lined out serial number on the left outer side of chamber is the serial of the scope that was once attached.
>>
>>34306384
How can you tell its an ex-sniper?
>>
why bother sweating out all the cosmoline, besides drying the stock out which will make it brittle it removes surplus smell.
>>
>>34306314
That's nothing. The front barrel band worked its way under the back one on mine, and I slid it on unknowingly. Took almost all the finish off the stock and handguard.
>>
>>34306595
This. Trash bag method is best unless you have a lot of time (hair dryer).
>>
>>34308836

Lined out serial number on the side of receiver is the serial of the scope that was previously on it.
>>
>>34306314
Fucking hell man, just grease it up and put a couple hundred rounds through it. Clean the bore, do a warm salt water bath on the bolt and rub the stock down with tung oil.
>>
Is it even necessary to fully remove the furniture in order to remove all the cosmoline? Like could I just use trashbag method a few times? Also whats the best way to clean the bolt the first time after unpacking it. I've had a mosin for a long time but I never actually fired it(bought it back when they were ~80-90ish)
>>
>>34312719

You can trashbag the entire gun to remove cosmoline, but you MIGHT encounter some cosmoline pooling up against the barrel (between the wood/metal) if you ever disassemble it. This will NOT harm the barrel or its accuracy in any way, but some OCD people can't stand it.

As for cleaning your bolt, learn how to fully disassemble it via youtube, and then just give it a nice wiping with Hoppes (or any gun cleaner really). Repeat until you have a nice clean set of parts, and then reassemble.
>>
>>34312538
Okay thanks!
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.