[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Safe to shoot?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 20170618_131639.jpg (1MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20170618_131639.jpg
1MB, 2576x1932px
Hey /k/ I found a old weight lifting plate made of steel, I was wondering if this would be safe to shoot at. It seems really thick and has no protruding edges. I got this out of old junk pile where more are sitting, and if it is safe then I can go back and get more free steel targets. Pic related.
>>
It's probably cast. It might crack.
>>
Just make sure you angle it to the side so you don't ricochet your shit. Also confirm it's steel all the way through. Some steel weights are actually full of concrete. If that's the case, you can just destroy it with gunfire.
>>
>>34298974
>>34298978
this: very good chance you're just going to break it

which, I mean, hey, it's still a reactive target, right? :-p
>>
You can usually shoot brake rotors just fine but it's impossible to say the quality or composition of those weights. I want to say they look like of like iron but you could probably handle pistol/shotgun rounds with it.
>>
>>34298978
Usually the concrete weights I find have never had steel coating, just rubber coated.
>>
>>34298948
Angle it down and watch for cratering.
High velocity bullets will easily crater mild steel and increase the chance of a ricochet coming back.
>>
>>34299089
Will do, I think setting it on a shepards hook (for gardens) will suffice they give to the weight and naturally angle it.
>>
>>34298948
>mild steel

Be sure to livestream it so we can watch you bleed out.
>>
>>34298948
shoot it and find out
>>
Probably fine for pistols. Don't even bother trying rifles. Watch for cratering and cracking after putting a few rounds of 9 on it - if it comes out unscathed, have a ball and inspect it regularly. Wear good safety glasses, angle it appropriately, and stay a good distance away as you shoot.
Cast Iron, which it probably is, cracks easily, so try not to hit near the edges - but it looks thick enough to take some pistol loads.
If nothing else, it'll do fine for .22.
>>
>>34299266
How thick does a steel target need to be for rifles?
I bought a really thick one that said it was good up to .30-06 but .223 made deep craters in it and my mosin blew a hole clean through.
>>
>>34299315
On AR500 steel theres usually ratings 3/8in steel for .223, 7.62x39 etc, 1/2in and up for things like .308 and 54R and magnum rounds
>>
>>34299315
Depends on the grade of steel more than anything else.
I wouldn't shoot mild steel with any kind of rifle - it'll cause dimples and cratering, no matter the thickness.
Otherwise, the common go-to for steel targets is AR500 and AR550, since that grade of steel is cheap, plentiful, and available. Unless you really know what you're shopping for, stick to the AR steels. 1/2" will last a long time for .30-06.

OP's weight plates are probably cast iron, though. A rifle will probably shatter it in a single shot, cast iron is crystalline and brittle.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.