[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the Savage 64 F any good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 0142085.jpg (46KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
0142085.jpg
46KB, 1600x900px
I'm looking to buy my first gun, and I want it to be a rifle since that's the gun I'm most likely to practice with (my skeet skills are sorely lacking, and I'm 8 months too young to buy a handgun in my state). I've been looking at my options, and with the added complication of a $150 budget, it seems like my rifle options are limited to something in .22 LR, specifically the Savage 64 F, Remington 702 Plinkster, and maybe if I can find one tommorow once I've got my banking stuff in order, a Marlin Model 60. (I like the idea of a Model 60, as there's something anachronistic and awesome about a semi with a tube mag).
I'm going to be using this mostly for bullseye target practice at up to about 100 yards, as I don't have a need for varmint control given where I live.

Which is best is a dumb question (like always) but what I will ask is what's each one like to shoot? Are mags available easily for them? What's the trigger pull like, and how are ergonomics for people with normal hands? Are the sights any good? How about reliability?
>>
i would go with a ruger 10/22 simply due to their aftermarket accessories and availability, and you could most likely find one in your price range.
>>
>>34295846
>Savage 64 F, Remington 702 Plinkster,
these are all significantly worse than marlin with the only positive being price
spend the extra 20 bucks get a marlin 60 or 795 if you want mags
if you can go significantly above 150 get a 10/22
>>
>>34295875
Ruger 10/22s, while an excellent gun from what I've heard, are a bit outside my price range as they're about $160 minimum but tend towards $175.
>>34295877
How are they worse than the Model 60? Looking for concrete reasons so I can make an informed purchase.
After some digging, I have found Model 60s at my price point, and like I said, it's a platform just weird enough for me to really, really like. What are some problems to look for when buying one used?
>>
>>34295993
>How are they worse than the Model 60? Looking for concrete reasons so I can make an informed purchase.
build quality
the moss702 plinkster is really a cut every corner that possibly can be cut to meet a $99 price point. like the stock plastic is really bad. havent had the chance to take apart a savage but my impressions were similar.
out of the common curently produced 22 market marlin has the second best aftermarket. #1 being the 10/22 by a huge margin. you can get parts for marlin trying to get improved savage parts wont happen.
im not hating all savage the boltaction 22s are pretty decent but the semi is meh.
>>
>>34296056
So if I see, say, a Savage Mark II at a competitive price, it would be a good idea?
>>
>>34295993
biggest problem with used model 60s is they havent been cleaned ever. they dont work.
some guy put like 10k through the thing a decade ago then sold it when it stopped functioning.

if you pick a used 60 the most important part is a good bore. take it home and detail strip it. you should be good to go. if it still doesnt work after cleaning the things you may have to replace on a 60 that are commonly broken due to age and abuse are the plastic buffer and all the springs. this will be roughly 30 bucks. it might be better to just buy a new one unless the stock is really nice or the price is really good.
>>
>>34296129
Noted, thanks. I've found a listing for a nearly new Mark II at literally $115 face-to-face, though the Model 60 is still my Plan B should Mark II Guy fall through. Thanks for the help.
>>
>>34295846
I own one, and I'm not disappointed. Cycles pretty reliably unless I get sand in the action. (I shoot from sand piles in a sand pit). Loved the price tag of course. Only downside is the irons were a little off. Adjusted them all the way down and it still shoots high.
>>
>>34296192
I love my Mark II G, still probably my favourite .22. I have a second hand opinion of the Savage 64, a friend of mine had one and it jammed enough to be noticeably annoying, and had some fairly bad ones. It was however pretty accurate, though I would say a Model 60 would likely beat it, the Model 60 I had I put a cheapo Tasco on and it shot excellently, even with bulk cheap shit. If you really like the 64 style platform, the earlier Cooey models and such seemed to function a lot better. That is just my experience with the three.
>>
>>34295993
>Ruger 10/22s, while an excellent gun from what I've heard, are a bit outside my price range as they're about $160 minimum but tend towards $175.
FFS put a hat down on the sidewalk and tap dance on the corner until you have the extra $25 bucks you need to buy a decent rifle.
>>
>>34295846
ive had 2 savage 64's they rust at the drop of a hat.
BUT are very reliable like i put 200 rounds through both and never had a single jam and are as accurate as any 22 rifle ive ever had
>>
File: IMG_8833.jpg (565KB, 2094x1352px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8833.jpg
565KB, 2094x1352px
>>34295993
>the 10/22 is 25$ over my already abysmally low price point

Jesus Christ this is sad, are the taxes on the purchase going to drive you into bankruptcy?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.