[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

S&W sd40ve..talk me out of it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_3227.jpg (40KB, 738x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3227.jpg
40KB, 738x640px
Talk me out of it, it'll be my first handgun, I have a few rifles but wanting a decent and cheap first handgun. Is it decent? I don't wanna go out and buy a 1911 for my first pistol.
Everything seems to be good with the quality besides the magazine rattle which can be a DIY fix.
Is it a good starter pistol? About to head to the gun store and buy it RN..
>>
>>34293719
Only thing for me is the 8.8lb trigger pull, but I heard you can get a cheap kit to change it around 5.5.
>>
>>34293725
This, the trigger is god-awful but the work is well worth what you put into it if you're on a budget.
>>
>>34293719
What is your price range? There are a ton of options for good cheap guns with all the police trade-ins and whatnot. That's not to say the SD40VE is bad by any means but don't let yourself get too set on something and keep your options open.
>>
>>34293719
>Talk me out of it
It's in my top 10 list
>>
i've put about 500 rounds through mine, no problems. the trigger isn't too bad once you get used to it, everyone who says it's a deal breaker is gay

honestly though just save up a little bit more and get a glawk
>>
>>34293719
Nothing wrong with them, but they are budget guns that don't tend to go on sale, and you'd be stupid to buy one at the moment when there are a lot of premium guns available right now for REALLY good prices.

Beretta PX4 9mm with night sights - I've been seeing these for as low as $399 online.
Walther PPQ 9mm - I've been seeing these for as low as $394 after a $100 mail in rebate.

Both are much better guns than that SD40VE. Check https://gun.deals for links.
>>
>>34293793
I can score a brand new one for $325 locally. Don't really have a budget, I have a few grand to just blow, but I don't wanna just go out and buy a $1k pistol, just need a decent home defense one, my rifles are for hunting. Plan on getting an AR lower along with the pistol and start building from there.id like to stay under $500 total
>>
Also I'm in California so we get the shit end of the stick, so any pistol recommended would have to be CA compliant.
Thanks guys, looks like it wouldn't be bad besides the trigger, anyone have experience with aftermarket trigger systems or different pulls?
>>
>>34293719
I have two SD9VEs, but only because I got them with 4 mags each for under $300 including transfer fee.

The negatives are that the trigger is heavy enough that I tend to shoot to the left with it, but that's more of me being a shit shot with pistols than anything else. The sights are also polymer, but I've had no issues with them and for what it's worth the default glock ones are plastic too. The slide release/hold open is big enough that I tend to accidentally hold it down with my thumb so the slide won't lock back on empty.

Positives are it's cheap and will go bang every time you pull the trigger. S&W has good customer service from what I hear. The grip texturing is good, and it feels good in my hand. The serrations are nice, it's actually easier to cock than my glock. Magazines are steel which is nice, some of my glock mags have gotten a little chewed up on the mag release catch which kinda worries me, but I've never heard of that causing problems.

So I'd say fuck .40, get it in 9 and take the money you'd save by buying it over something like a glock on ammo and go practice with it.
>>
Consider a used gun http://www.gunbroker.com/item/655030581
>>
>>34294109
Also http://www.gunbroker.com/item/656215429
>>
>>34293719
I'm in the same situation. Been researching first handguns for years (turning 21 in a few weeks) and consistently come back to the SD40VE and the Ruger 9e as the only real poorfag choices that appeal to me. Personally, I'll be making the decision on ergonomics once I can head out to the LGS or Cabelas to see how they feel.

From 2+ years of research, I'd say that it's a great 1st pistol in the price point. Go see how it feels in your hands before purchasing, and see if you can get a slightly used one to knock up to a hundred bucks off (lots of people buy cheap starters and sell them quickly to get money for their next purchase).
>>
>>34294107
The 9 and 40 are the same price at my shop.
And ammo prices don't seem too bad $3-5 difference on a box of 50.
I'll maybe have to go try a few pistols, but didn't wanna pass on this deal, plus I want a new gun lol.
>>34294109
I would but it seems like more of a pain in the ass to have to do a private party trans in CA, rather buy new for warranty and I know it'll work and be legit.
H&K firearms are fucking tits though I was looking at them a few hours ago before I posted.
>>
>>34294145
Please just get the 9. It's higher capacity, and $3-$5/box adds up quickly if you're practicing as much as you should be.
>>
>>34294134
Yeah that's what I plan on doing, checking a few out, I have bigger hands and the reviews of the sd40ve seem good ergonomics(unless you're a leftie)
I don't think I wanna go used, I guess mostly for the piece of mind that it's new and I know how many shots it has.
I'm weary on buying used guns.
>>
>>34293719
get the Apex spring/trigger fix and you're GTG.

SW customer service is great

a good, solid gun, unless you're also considering a used cop SW59 series.
>>
>>34294156
I'm in California for the 3-4th time, 10round limit on any gun.
I buy in bulk, I have probably 2k of .223 and 1,700 .308.
I work 65-80 hours a week so I only have weekends to shit shoot and practice, I haven't used more then 75 rounds a day since I got my first gun(went through 200 rounds first day, due to having a fucking blast lol)
I might go 9, but I heard you can swap the barrel on the 40 and make it a 9, but not vice versa, not sure about the truth on that though, it was on a forum from a few years back. Thanks for the input, much appreciated
>>
>>34294166
Fair enough point on used guns, you can never be completly sure about the real reason they traded it in for.

As for the people saying get a 9mm, 40 is perfectly fine. You'll pay a bit more per round, but if there's ever an ammo scare 40 ususally is on the shelf longer than 9 and 45. People like to have their caliber wars, but when it comes down to it- if the round works for you, the round works for you.
>>
>>34294189
how do you have thousands of rounds of ammo but are so broke youre considering buying this gun?

and look more, faggot. youll find deals like this
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2084_654_910/products_id/411555636/Firearms/Used+Guns/Police+Trade-Ins/Used+Beretta+92S+Italian+Police+15%2B1+9mm+4.9%22
>>
>>34293823
Considering the popularity of aftermarket triggers for EVERYTHING I stopped giving a shit about factory triggers and the people that bitch about them a long time ago. I've come across 3 triggers that I absolutely hated. Some little eastern block pistol, the FMK and SCCY because the edges are sharp. Too many people attribute light weight to a good trigger and that's wrong and too many people think what I would consider to be a service grade trigger to be terrible. The SD9VE I shot wasn't a target gun but fine as a defensive gun.

But I'm a DA/SA guy so anything under 10lbs and a little take up doesn't bother me
>>
>>34293719
>.40

Gross
>>
>>34293719
trigger is shit
>>
>>34294408
Again, you're not
Paying attention, I'm not broke, I'm just not going to spend $700-1000 on a handgun when I can have a nice AK or AR. Money isn't the issue I just need a reliable self defense pistol, my other rifles are for hunting and scoped for their respective ranges.
>>
I've decided to try and test the Springfield XD 40 and 9mm and decide, the XD grip and features seem better, I just don't want to drop a bunch on a pistol when I can get an AR or AK built for the same or less.

Either way I'm buying a pistol for defense, along with an AR lower and then build but I'll probably outright buy an AK and add too it. Money isn't an issue, I just can't justify spending $700 or more on a handgun. My father is ex military and competes with his 1911 and m1a, I wanted to go glock g21 but the weight is eh. Sd40ve just seemed like a great deal, which is why I started this thread and asked you're opinions. I'm not a rich fag but I work hard for my money and I can't justify spending it all on firearms
I have a bunch of ammo because I've been buying and saving for the past year or so, I have all casings and reloading equipment so I'm not worried about shortages.
>>
>>34295025
Yeah but when ammo shortages come up, 9 and 45ACP will be the first time from the shelves along with 556/223
>>
>>34295547
fuck it you already made your decision and are trying to rationalize it. buy it enjoy it. have massive amounts of regret later when you try out a buddies glock/m&p/sig/whatever and realize you could have gotten something much better if you just spent an extra 10-30%. when you try to sell your budget gun you are in for another shock as its resale value is shit and you sell it for 200 bucks.
>>
>>34294408
For the 100th time, I'm in Cali, 10 round max, I don't want to deal with a used gun when I have the money to buy new, just don't want to go past $500 in reality, my handgun I choose is stickly for home
Defense. My hunting rifles aren't zero'd for close combat, 300-500 yards yes then talk but I'm looking for a budget reliable pistol that will shut a shitskin down
>>
>>34295611
I haven't made a decision,
and I don't sell my guns. No point in losing money. I don't need a super l33t handgun just one for self defense and when I go
Camping or hiking .
>>
>>34295611
I can afford any h&k or glock , etc, I'm not looking for the best of best just a decent reliable handgun/pistol, I'm a rifleman if anything
>>
>>34295626
>>34295657
Don't feed the trolls
BTW, I'm Anon
>>34293800
>>
File: 9584768.jpg (58KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
9584768.jpg
58KB, 960x540px
I have a few Sd's and the older sigma models. Great guns besides the trigger which is easily replaced.
>>
Cabin TP9SF can be found for $300 or less and it's not a shitty glock copy with a ten pound trigger.
>>
>>34295677
Appreciate it anon.
I'm checking the SD40VE tomorrow along with the XD. Minor cost differences but whatever feels better in my hands will succeed. The S&W is just a deal I wanted to
Jump on, who knows I might. Only thing is the huger trigger pull, my hunting rifles are set up at 3.5-5lbs (223-308) so wondering the pull on a 8.8
>>
>>34295709
That doesn't faze me, save a couple hundred to spend $20-50 on the only fault, I'm a DIYer so glad for that feedback, thanks anon
>>
File: XD45Mod2SubCompactFlatDarkEarth.png (886KB, 1200x909px) Image search: [Google]
XD45Mod2SubCompactFlatDarkEarth.png
886KB, 1200x909px
>>34295721
I prefer to shoot my revolvers DA.
Love the heavy trigger.
I just move my booger hook over a tiny bit when shooting a lighter trigger.
I was 100% ready to buy the XD subcompact in 9, 40 & 45 at the same time at the next gun show, then Ruger had to drop the SR1911 in 10mm...
>>
>>34295721
>The S&W is just a deal I wanted to
>Jump on
buying a gun at normal resale price is not a deal
>>
>>34295810
Normal resale
If 389-399. Getting it at $325 is a deal cuck.
I'm more for the XD now, grip seems better and just better ergo.
I have $7k to blow in my savings, I budgeted $1k for an AR lower, AK lower and a pistol (all CA compliant) and build from there. Not a glock hater but I'd like to steer way from glocks
>>
>>34295921
Glock is the VW Beetle (rear engine) or Jeep CJ/Renegade/etc of the gun world
They are stuck in the mud for the most part
>>
>>34295955
Dubs for truth, lmao.
Yeah I'd like to stick to USA made or Germany made, because of my heritage. I'd like to stick to sw or Springfield or HK if I feel like I'm
Balling. But I don't wanna spend more on a handgun than a rifle
>>
File: 20170618_201945.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170618_201945.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
You live in TN?
>>
Ruger 9e or sr9
>>
>>34293719
My dad had one. I used to shoot it all the time but that trigger is absolutely the worst handgun trigger on the market. Combine the unbearably long pull with the snappy .40 recoil and you have some really bad flinching issues for the first 200 or so rounds.
>>
I do not like them for a variety of reasons. Yes the trigger sucks but there is more to it. It might be a good idea to try out a few others before jumping on that one just to get a feel for the lack of quality that S&W put into those models, even next to the SD99. Of the budget pistols in that range it's probably pick #15 for me. I cannot imagine getting one when the SR9E's are around $300 on sale right now.
>>
>>34296793
What would be higher on your list (within the price point) and for what reasons in particular?
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.