[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When was the last time Swords were used in Modern Warfare?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (50KB, 468x388px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50KB, 468x388px
Since guns were made
When was the last time two soldiers fought each other with Swords?

How common is to use cold weapons in Modern Warfare?
>>
>>34292358
The last country to use swords was Japan in WW2. The last time soldiers used swords against each other in any major war was probably in the American civil war.
>>
Russian-Japanese war
>>
>>34292380
Wrong. China also had swords during WW2, so at least one swordfight probably occurred.
>>
File: libyan sword man.jpg (99KB, 549x773px) Image search: [Google]
libyan sword man.jpg
99KB, 549x773px
>>34292358
How soon we forget.
>>
>>34292358
>>34292380
And Mad Jack Churchill
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Churchill
>>
File: 52345.jpg (115KB, 640x425px) Image search: [Google]
52345.jpg
115KB, 640x425px
>>34292358
>>34292380
>When was the last time Swords were used in Modern Warfare?
Unironically? Like viable combat tactics? Russian Civil War. 1917-1922
>>
>>34292429
>How soon we forget.
How to read? It says "swords" at the top of the page, Phil.

>How common is to use cold weapons in Modern Warfare?
If you're trying to answer this question with evidence of one instance then the answer is "Not very common" not "How soon we forget."

Thanks for posting, Phil. I always enjoy it.
>>
>>34292431
>Killed a Kraut with a Bow
>at Dunkirk he had a motorcycle with a German Officers Cap on the Headlight
>Charged Beaches with an officers Sword
>Played Bagpipes on a Beach Landing
>Was pissed that the Americans used nukes to end the war because he wanted to fight more

/k/ as fuck.
>>
Don't know about swordfights but bayonets are still commonly used to stab bitches.

Think some brits butchered some Afghanis with bayonets a couple of years ago.

A bit of cold steel is still very useful...not swords though. Besides a short spear or pike is arguably a better weapon anyway.
>>
>>34295084
I recall a story of a Gurkha beating an Afghani to death with tripod from a GPMG.
>>
>>34295134
This guy?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipprasad_Pun
>>
>>34295184
bingo
>>
>>34295084
bayonets have always been the blade for infantry, and before rifles and muskets they used spears.
swords were used more by cavalry, all the way up until machine guns and tanks made cavalry obsolete.
>>
Russian and German Cossack cavalry used them in WWII in addition to the Japanese who never let go of that ancient tradition. It would be fascinating to know when the last combat casualty from a sword occurred. It was a pretty obsolete weapon by the late 19th century. I read that the official Prussian cause of death records from the Franco-Prussian war of 1870 listed a grand total of 12 (yes 12) men killed by swords and this was when entire French cavalry regiments were charging them with drawn swords. I used to collect militaria and had lots of swords, a lot of them dating from around the 1880-1910 era. They weren't sharpened. The officers who carried them apparently regarded them back in that era even as being so obsolete that they would never use them in battle.
>>
>>34292380
>>34292358
look up iran iraq war

it was like trench warfare they ranout of ammo so were using swords and shit

also if you take terrorist attacks as modern war fare then yes the recent terrorist attacks were with swords
>>
>>34292358
There were cavalry charges on the Eastern Front in WW2 by Cossack brigades on both sides, as well as regular Red and Italian Cavalry brigades.
>>
>>34295329
The last cavalry charge was either 1942 or 1943 on the Eastern Front, might have been used then.
>>
>>34295697
>>34295329
I believe there was one American Cavalry charge in WWII while defending the Philippines
>>
>>34295713
A quick google tells me it was a few months earlier than the Italian charge but roughly followed the same concept. In both cases it was a bit of desperation that worked against unexpecting and poorly-organised opponents.
>>
My father told me that some Gurkhas fought in the Falklands, though he's kind of a bullshitter so I don't really know. And yes, I know that Khukris aren't swords.
>>
>>34294387
>>Killed a Kraut with a Bow
>>at Dunkirk he had a motorcycle with a German Officers Cap on the Headlight
>>Charged Beaches with an officers Sword
>>Played Bagpipes on a Beach Landing
>>Was pissed that the Americans used nukes to end the war because he wanted to fight more
>/k/ as fuck.

Jack Churchill had more balls than /k but he is ourguy
>>
>>34292358
Jungle warfare against muslamic terrorists in the Philippines usually end up with swordfights once ammunition runs out and reinforcements are still far away.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.