[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

3 weeks. 200 miles. Should I solo it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

File: OHT.png (53KB, 632x328px) Image search: [Google]
OHT.png
53KB, 632x328px
So I've been wanting to go innawoods on a deep excursion for a while now, the only problem is that my friends are too pussy to go in with me. Here's the details on the trip

>200 miles
>Estimated time to complete-3 weeks
>Ozark Highlands Trail (Arkansas)
>It gets HOT. not dry heat, but humid heat. I'd take Texas summer over Arkansas summer anyday. somewhere in the 90-110 range at the hottest

What do you think? Can I solo it (I have a sat phone, or should I wait until I find someone willing to do it with me?

and yes, I will be well supplied/armed
>>
David Paulides, Missing 411 .
>>
>>34290352

Good thing I'm not a cute jogger.

I hope being 270lbs and carrying an AK (should it be legal) is enough to scare off any rapists
>>
>>34290352
OP still

but yeah. That's why I have a SPOT device, should shit get too hairy.
>>
>>34290312
godspeed you homo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ4Ib-7fJqY
>>
>>34290312
having someone there to call you a bitch literally doubles your energy
>>
>>34290312
Do it you fat fuck! Maybe you'll lose some weight while you're at it...
>>
>>34290363
Most of the people from that post are normies near other normies. No retards, autist or pudgy thic jogger grills. More than likely people like OP. In fact some of them that went missing discussed within interviews with Paulides on the subject. Were very well trained outdoors-men, like train the trainers type. Just poof gone found later in an area allready searched by dogs at a latter date, no damage to their clothes found folded neatly near them.
>>34290368
GPS is awesome, unless your in an area not covered by satellite or LOS equipment. Or it is using cell coverage.
>>
>>34290394

I'm only 170lbs though
>>
>>34290312
I wouldn't worry about it
>>
File: 1440679673735.png (71KB, 1000x700px) Image search: [Google]
1440679673735.png
71KB, 1000x700px
Do it. It will be fine. Just be careful around creeks and boulder fields.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14IsXTg1GH8
>>
>>34290401
Looks like you posted you were 270lbs in this post
>>34290363
>>
>>34290413
don't spam that
>>
File: 1497393842425.jpg (17KB, 640x597px) Image search: [Google]
1497393842425.jpg
17KB, 640x597px
Absolutely dude. It sounds like a blast, although it'd probably be more fun with pals.

Oh and also, because this is 4chan and everything has to be coated in 8 layers of irony

you fat faggot
>>
>>34290420

Sorry, must have hit the 2 key by accident.
>>
>>34290312
Consider getting (if you don't already have one) a dog to bring along. Prevents loneliness and will warn you if there is anything out there, especially useful at night.
>>
Pack light

Your whole kit excluding water should be < 20lbs. Total pack weight should be around 30ish for a hike like this.

Get a hammock with a rain fly and mosquito net.

Pack extra undergarments

And remember that mosqito and tickborne illness is for real so bring repellent and treat all your bedding with also

Pack a life straw too.

Oh and the level of rashy swamp ass will be horrible. Vaseline your gouche and powder your body.
>>
>>34290368
>SPOT device
you made me look this up and now im looking into buying one....
>>
>>34290483
You really should if you spend good time away from civilization. Never know what might happen.
>>
>>34290363
>good thing I'm not a cute jogger
Yeah, we'll be the judge of that
>>
>>34290312
Why are you going through the Ozark when the buffalo river trail is relatively close and so much better?
>>
>>34290312
First, 200 miles is NOT 3 weeks. In the summer, you'll be able to do 20 mile days very easily if you take your time, pack efficiently and light, get an early start, hike until the Sun is low in the sky and go slow. If you're fit at all, then you should be able to do many 25+ mile days. Throw in a couple rest days, and that's closer to a week and a half of hiking.

The answer, though, is that you waited too long to do an extended hike in the Ozarks. You should have done this in late March or early April when the weather was better and there weren't spider webs hanging over the trail every 25 feet and ticks infesting every inch of forest floor. As an alternative, plan your hike for late October instead. I've done lots of hiking in the Missouri Ozarks, and it can really suck from about late May to early October.

A better option for a summer hike on a long trail would be something like a 200 mile section of the Colorado Trail, Continental Divide Trail or Pacific Crest Trail. Those should all be clear starting early to mid July this year.
>>
>>34292286
is it bad that I get boners for s/k//out/s like you?
>>
Might be a good warm-up for the AT. Get your trail legs and work out your pack for a real 2k+ hike.

Yes do it. Old women through hike the AT every year.
>>
>>34290396

Inter-dimensional Wendigo bigfoots.
>>
>>34290312
Yes, absolutely do this, humans need to get out into nature more to reconnect with the world and understand there's literally nothing scary out there.
>>
>>34292973
Aaaaand I'm back to hiding under my blankets, thanks a lot hungry skinwalker!
>>
>>34290312
Did you think this was /out/ when you posted? Why is this on /k/?
>>
>>34290312
What is that meaning of deep excursion?
>>
>>34290312
If I get laid off my current job in the next few weeks I'll roll with you, I plan on taking a month long vacation regardless

wanting to go during hottest part of the year triggers me tho
>>
>>34290464
Can you explain your water volume at start, consumption an resupply with this loadout?
>>
>>34293211
This. Why is this post on /k/?
>>
>>34293211
Not OP, but /out/ is a wasteland of expertise.

>>34292956
People do the OHT or the OT because they want to have a good hiking experience without all the crowds of the AT. Not that the AT is a bad trail, but the number and types of people it attracts, depending on the time of year, are red marks against it, ESPECIALLY northbound thru hikes.
>by the way, what's your trail name?
>see you at the shelter tonight?
>did you catch the trail magic by the last road crossing?
>>
File: IMG_4741.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4741.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>not doing it in the winter
What a puss
>>
>>34292286
pretty much this.

Grew up in Fayetteville, did Boy Scouts innawoods stuff all over that area.

OP has no idea what he's in for this time of year. Elevations and heat will wreck his shit w/i 3 days.

I'd go canoeing instead, do some of the Butterfield trail, definitely hit the Buffalo River.

Also be aware that there are a lot of grow spots and hillbillies that will fuck your shit up.
>>
>>34293640
Not him, but I'm familiar with the type of terrain and these aren't the right kinds of questions. You should look at a trail map in the planning stages of your hike to know how far apart creek crossings are, but as long as you fill up when you can, water supply tends to take care of itself. I use Aqua Mira, which is a chemical treatment. Plan to carry between 2-4 liters at a time in the Ozarks, depending on time of year - it always seems to dry out in late summer, but flowing water is plentiful in winter, spring and early summer.
>>
>>34290413
This OP
Seriously
>>
>>34293680
Winter hiking in the Ozarks can be really nice as long as you keep an eye on any major weather events. Only real problem is the short days. Having to set up camp before 5:00pm and then being stuck there all night, I tend to get bored.
>>
The Ozarks have some weird shit going on up in there. If there are cryptids running loose, I wouldn't be surprised.

Never saw things, but one time in scouts, we were doing trail maintenance when all of a sudden all 5 of us in the group stopped working at the same time. The woods had gone silent, and a couple of us had their ears popping like a sudden change in elevation. Lasted about 20 seconds, and things went back to before.

Normally, we would have just camped out that night, but we cut out early and did a quick 15 mile hike back to the rally point - the last 5 miles in utter darkness, which is really really dumb.

Not saying there's something out there, but something spooked all of us enough that we weren't even calling each other pussies on the way back, we just wanted out of there.
>>
File: sweetdreams.jpg (26KB, 530x331px) Image search: [Google]
sweetdreams.jpg
26KB, 530x331px
>>34290312
splash
splash
splash
aaaarrrrrrrrrrrooooooooooooooohhh
splash
splash
splash
>>
>>34290312
I only get 2 weeks PTO faggot

3 weeks is a long adventure innawoods, that might be why.

Also, you might be better off fishing than hunting, at least that's what my friend told me when he took an adventure.

The blood of animals might attract larger prey that you might not want to deal with even while arm3d (or sleeping)

Id personally go with someone else simply because muh buddy system, better safe than dead.
>>
>>34293996
Did I miss where the OP said he wanted to hunt along the way?
>>
>>34290312
I'm in Ozark. I'll go with you. And don't worry about the AK, open carry here is great.
>>
>>34290312
Do it. I've hiked that trail before and it was some of the most beautiful scenery I've seen. Make sure to detour out to some of the waterfalls, it's totally worth it. There's an excellent guide book written by a guy I actually ran into while on the trail. I don't remember his name but it shouldn't be too hard to find on Google.
>>
>>34294068
No I was just assuming

3 weeks of food is a lot of weight
>>
>>34290352
Glock 20 with 180-200gr xtp
10 mags
Thermal goggles
A small and large knife
Axe

You are the hunter now.
>>
>>34292286
Your not going to hit twenty miles a day with gear, any one who would suggest such a pace hasn't done this. i did 100 mile in ten days with a large group, with gear you will not be doing more than 8-10 mile a day.
>>
>>34294412
That is doable if you're fit. For 200 straight miles it might slow down eventually. But 20-25 Miles is very possible daily with a weight of 40lbs, I'm not even that much of a pt stud, and that wasnt even full days of hiking.
>>
>>34294412
I have done it many times, my friend, and I'm not even that fit. If you can barely hike 8-10 miles a day in Ozark terrain, you are eithwr not pushing yourself hard enough, you're taking way more gear than you need to, or you're so out of shape that a skinnyfat couch potato like me could beat you in a fight.
>>
>>34294305
Most people who do 3 week hikes would resupply their food along the way. You could cache a food bag in a tree not far from a point of interest like a trailhead, hitchhike into a town or have a friend meet you at a trailhead. I'm assuming that the OP has factored that into his logistics if he really is planning to take 3 weeks on the hike, which, again, is about twice as long as it should take him.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.