[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would you guys recommend the LCR .38 as my first gun/CC? Need

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

File: Ruger-LCR-38-sp-front-quarter.jpg (123KB, 1024x625px) Image search: [Google]
Ruger-LCR-38-sp-front-quarter.jpg
123KB, 1024x625px
Would you guys recommend the LCR .38 as my first gun/CC? Need a gun for both. I live in Chicago so no big ass .45's please.
>>
Small frame da/sa revolvers are known to be difficult to master. If you have the time to train, and you're dead set on the revolver, it isn't a bad gun. However, i'd recommend a single stack 9mm instead.
>>
>>34287408

i have one and like it. it's my 6th cc gun the others being glocks, kahr cm-9 and ruger lcp 2. get the lcr-x for extra bad ass hammer cockin action, and remember to practice a LOT
>>
>>34287474
Is the trigger really that heavy? How many pounds is a normal .45? (only other handgun I've shit)
>>
>>34287408
I'd say yes. I both the 22lr for practice and shooting cans, .38 is still very viable.
>>
They're great guns OP. Maybe not as practical as a pocket 380 or 9mm but they're solid in their own right.
>>
>>34287408
Buy the .357 but only load it with .38
>>
>>34287546
I've heard this but why?
>>
>>34287587

.357 is solid steel as opposed to the aircraft grade aluminum of the .38
>>
>>34287636

i have both. the .357 is heavy as shit compared with the .38
>>
>>34287636
Would this make the gun easier to handle, more newbie friendly?
>>
>>34287408
Sure. I recently got an LCR in .38 for CC, and it's enjoyable to shoot. Then again, I have a preference for revolvers.

>>34287515
The LCR actually has a very nice trigger. You have to let it fully reset though.

>>34287668
Just get some standard pressure .38 Special to shoot if you're worried about recoil. I don't think getting the .357 version is worth it if you're just going to shoot .38 out of it.

In a .357, .38 Special leaves behind black rings when shot. This isn't an issue on a standard .38 model.
>>
>>34287408
If you're in Chicago you want as many and as powerful rounds as you can possibly carry.
>>
>>34287668

i would only get the .38 if i were you. both my friend and i bought the .357 lcr when it came out and we both agree its heavy as shit and unpleasant to carry. he actually wore a hole in his nice eotech pants by pocket carrying without a holster. i also can't shoot it for shit, which is why i bought the .38 lcr-x. the .357 permanently lives under my ikea desk as a last resort home defence weapon
>>
>>34287515
It's the recoil, the barrel height over your hand, and the long, heavy (comparatively) trigger that make small frame revolvers difficult to shoot well. I don't know what .45 you shot, but a 1911 is not a fair comparison.

I think the best comparison for a da trigger is to try a glock, and imagine a trigger with about as much travel but twice the stiffness. You can get used to it, and doing so might help you become a better shot with other pistols, but you will likely need to train yourself to get good groups.

If this wasn't your first gun, i wouldn't be so worried. Revolvers have about as much capacity as the common compact single stack, and snubnoses are about the same overall size as well. Whether or not you want a revolver is ultimately personal preference, but a semi auto single stack will be likely be easier to get used to for a new shooter.
>>
Chiappa Rhino 2" in .40SW and a stage 1 trigger upgrade. Big holes, slow velocity.
>>
Also, the LCR comes in 9mm Luger too, and that also has extra steel in the frame like the .357 Magnum version.

Get that instead if you want a heavier LCR. Otherwise, just opt for .38 Special+P.
>>
>>34287654
Yeah, but I like it that way. It feels more solid, and it reduces felt recoil when shooting .38 (which is all I ever shoot through mine).
>>
I carried the .38 special LCR for about 5 years. I decided on this version because it weighs 4oz less than the .357 version, the KLCR. The LCR is 16 oz Loaded while the KLCR is 20 oz Loaded. When guns are in this super lightweight class, 4 oz is a noticeable difference. I had the boot grips installed which are the smallest grips available.

The trigger was great for a revolver, but the recoil was a bit harsh. I never really fired more than 50 rounds through it on a single trip. Sold it to my bro and got eventually migrated to a Glock 42 after buying /selling PPS M2 and a G43.

Glock 42
>Weighs 17 oz Loaded
>Bare minimum +2 rounds over snub (6+1)
>7,8,9, and 12 round mag extensions
>faster, easier reload
>Low recoil, extremely fun to shoot

I was always against .380s as a carry gun and neither it or .38 from a <2" bbl is ideal, but it beats the doublestack 9mm or 1911 left at home or in the vehicle. From my experience, the G42 and the LCR/J-frame is the gold standard for pocket/NPE/gym gun. Try to rent before your final purchase.
>>
>>34287408
Three a fit when my wife picked one after I tried to push muh s&w 442 as the purchase, now it's my favorite revolver...carry it w hornady self defense rounds, it has a nicer trigger than my smith
>>
>>34287874
Came here to post this.
>>
>>34287408
Bought an LCR about 7 months ago and I too live in Chicagoland.
It's nice for it's size minus the cylinder being wider than most single stack 9mm's.

Aside from just getting used to it being a DA revolver it's a pretty solid choice. If you have the chance rent one and see if it suits you. Otherwise I'd look into some single stack pistols instead.
>>
>>34289034
You like the 42 more than the 43?
>>
>>34291107
What range do you use?
>>
>>34291173
I primarily use GAT and On target. But that's in the northwest burbs. Not sure where your at.
>>
>>34287408

get the lcr 357

ignore those clowns saying it weighs a ton

look at ruger website

lcr 38 = 13.5z = very lite for 38 loads even 125 target

lcr 357 = 17z = still fairly lite for 38 loads

most steel 38s weigh about 24z

so op before you buy that gun take the $100 intro class at local range and get to shoot several different guns
>>
>>34291131
Yeah. The 43 just never felt right, and was heavier/bulkier than I wanted for it's intended purpose, which was an uber lightweight EDC/NPE piece. It was relegated to a belt gun, and there are far better choices when moving up to AIWB/OWB pistols.

The recoil wasn't bad, especially compared to my .38 lcr, but I wasn't able to become entirely confident with it compared to a G26 or the G42, which are very controllable. The 43 is so close in measurements to the G26 that it isn't worth the trade off. For my skinny ass, weight is a huge factor.

>G42 17 oz Loaded
>G43 23 oz Loaded
>G26 26 oz Loaded

The only thing a G43 does better than a G26 is IWB carry because it's slimmer, and only by 1/5th of an inch. The G26 shoots every bit as good as a 19, takes all Glock doublestack 9mm mags and is very robust. It is the most versatile EDC out there. G42 is a great alternative when carrying the 26 isn't feasible.
>>
>>34291464
4oz difference in a gun that weighs 16oz Loaded is 25% lighter. That's a huge gain and the gun isn't intended to be a primary EDC. Not entirely noticeable on the belt but it's a big difference when carried in the pocket or any other unconventional method.

.357 is essentially worthless in a sub 2" bbl. You might get an extra 100fps but your follow up shots are delayed bigly. Buffalo bore sells a .38 +P load that matches their .357 loads from a 2" bbl. Plus, when fired from a .357 cylinder, you lose some FPS and accuracy with .38.

I regretted getting the .38 version for a while, wishing I had that awesome .357 stamped on the gun, but after educating myself, I was content with the .38. If you really want a .357, get the SP101 with a 3"bbl or better yet the 4.2" version.
>>
>>34291689
I'll put it like this, you need at least 2 handguns.

>The biggest small gun that you can carry every waking hour without too much discomfort. The LCP was just too small for this role and the G42, while just riding the ragged edge of 24/7 gun, is easy to shoot and confidence inspiring, the gun must, above all else, be easy to draw, if it's too small to draw effectively, you should consider sizing up.

>The smallest big gun that can double as an EDC piece and a home defense gun, for some, the G19 fits the role, for me a G26 is more effective.

Everything else is icing on the cake. If you don't plan on carrying, by all means, get a heavy metal blaster such as an M9 or CZ75. Plastic guns were made to carry.
>>
>>34291214
I'm in lakeview
>>
File: 1475022489461.jpg (5KB, 227x160px) Image search: [Google]
1475022489461.jpg
5KB, 227x160px
>>34287408
>lives in chicago
>>
>>34287408
the 9mm is smaller, thicker steel and has moonclips

also you can whip it out and say "check out my 9" and confuse people because its a revolver
>>
>>34292803
Definitely a bit far for you. You'll need to look around for ones closer to you
>>
>>34287408
Wouldn't recommend it as a FIRST gun, but it is a fine CC gun if you have the time to practice.

As far as a first gun, go with a DOA 9mm or 22lr so you can practice and get used to not flinching.

The LCR is so lightweight, you'll pull almost every shot off target unless you put at least 500 rounds down range practicing first.
>>
>>34287408
Since you're asking about a first concealed carry gun, I have a question in return?

How much experience do you have shooting?

A snubnose 38 at 13.5 oz is going to be difficult to shoot accurately if you're inexperienced. Because the low mass of the gun is going to mean that a 38 special round gives it a lot of kickback, and the short barrel isn't going to do you any favors as far as the ballistics of the round go.

Try to test it out and compare how comfortable you are shooting it compared to the Ruger LCP, Glock 42 or 43, S&W Bodyguard, and see what feels best. See which you perform best with.
>>
>>34294732
Are you retarded? It's the exact same dimensions as the KLCR, same weight etc. Stick to .38/.357 for revolvers.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.