[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MONEY

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 19

It seems people on /k/ are in one of two places financially.

1. They are your typical 4chan poorfag.
2. I'd like to add 4 MG42s to my vault.

I feel like I'm the rare upper middle class person here. I'm about to go to college and money isn't a problem, but I'd like to make sure a get the right degree so I can own some expensive guns one day. (Currently own a basic Colt AR)

What degree should I get? I'm good around computers and I seem to have a fantastic public speaking ability. What's the best degree for these skills for maximum cash after college?

CASH=MG42s
>>
>>34284614
Any engineering major, some are harder than others and CS is the easy way out but is incredibly saturated, however SE is basically the same thing with more job security and managerial/lead positions.
t. CE major (computer architectural engineer)
>>
>>34284702
If you do this, try to get a job that requires security clearance. That way they can't hire Indians to replace you.
>>
>>34284614
Chemical, petroleum, or material science engineering.
>>
>>34284614
>good with computers
>good public speaking
Engineers who aren't socially retarded are sought after, and might make good leads or managers. At the very least, you'll have an edge over other engineers if you're not a sperg like them. Otherwise just pick something that is a good balance of interesting and prosperous, otherwise you'll suffer from poorfaggotry or loathing your job options.

t. Software Engineer, $75k 1 year out of school for not being overly autistic
>>
>>34284614
Where you live is more important than what you do.
>>
>>34284614
Don't go to college

Learn to weld
>>
>>34284614
>I'm good around computers and I seem to have a fantastic public speaking ability

That's me, and all I have is a regular Bachelors in Business. I was a Sales and Marketing Analyst, also referred to as a Data Analyst or Business Analyst. Spreadsheet and database dickery, but you have to basically help Marketers tell their story with data to support it, so be prepared for frustration when they try to use statistics. If you're good enough you'll be brought into Marketing meetings with the higher ups, who might lean on you to help better understand the business. This is a pathway to Data Science, Quant. Analytics, and other higher end stuff you'll need a Masters to really get into.

I'm now more on the Finance side, but I could easily transition back into Marketing if I wanted to. I make $82k a year and have about 3 years experience doing this. I use very little that I learned in college, but git gud at math, dabble in some programming languages, and learn SQL (in whatever DB is popular for students to learn now, HANA probably).

The suggestions about engineering since you can actually talk to people are good ideas, you'll be highly sought after. You just have to be careful not to get caught in the trap of becoming a technical writer. They make good money but go nowhere.

If you can't handle the engineering math, consider what I said about being a Business Analyst. Also keep in mind that 'Analyst' can mean different things - it can be anything from a reporting monkey that makes $40k/yr to someone who does actual analytics for a company to help better understand or measure their performance and make $80k/yr. This is all at non-manager levels. Managers make more, Data Science people make more.
>>
>>34284614
Check out the Bureau of Labor Statistics' Occupational Outlook Handbook.
>>
I got a two year degree from a community college in Missouri. Made 81k my first full year after school, and worked ten months. I'm hoping to break 150k by my fifth year. RP for commercial nukes.

I also managed 71k with no degree in the same industry(I went back to college at 26).

If you just wanna make money, nuke is a good industry.
>>
>>34284757

those jobs are intellectually worthless, pay terrible and have the worst hours imaginable

ask me how i know
>>
>>34284614
>I feel like I'm the rare upper middle class person here. I'm about to go to college and money isn't a problem
>He doesn't even fucking have job.
>Brags about his financial situation
You can shove that "silver" spoon up your ass, kiddo.
>>
>>34285917
Sorry, just trying to make the right decision asshat.
>>
File: IMG_0225.jpg (1MB, 3236x2099px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0225.jpg
1MB, 3236x2099px
Guns are pretty much my main motivation for trying to pick myself up from minimum wage hell. Every day I see fantastic deals on guns I want and I have to pass them up because I need money for rent, food, a car (eventually) and a future.

Pic related is my basic bitch arsenal. probably going to pick up a Ruger LCP so I can carry while working out and at the very least be armed pretty much all the time, but I want to get guns just for fun like a 1911 or a bolt rifle and I need money for that.

I've learned HTML, CSS and Javascript and am currently learning PHP because there are ton of jobs in my area looking for PHP developers. I know it's not a great future since pajeets are pretty much dominating that market but it's a start. If I can at least get my foot in the door with programming I can build up experience and eventually get a good web dev job.
>>
File: 1492169741290.gif (5KB, 290x290px) Image search: [Google]
1492169741290.gif
5KB, 290x290px
>>34286263
Decisions are irrelevant when he's addressing your unearned monetary status.
>>
>>34284614
1. They are your typical 4chan poorfag.
2. They are your typical 4chan poorfag fantasizing they werent
>>
>>34286368
Are standard capacity mags getting more common or am I imagining it?
>>
File: IMG_0143.jpg (2MB, 3219x2113px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0143.jpg
2MB, 3219x2113px
>>34286425
I like them for a couple of reasons.

1.They look cooler. Especially the straight ones.

2.Work better for prone shooting/bench shooting

3.work better for photo ops (main reason I have one in the OP)

That being said my HD mags are all Magpul Gen 2 30 rounders.
>>
File: eDhY5PC.jpg (65KB, 638x455px) Image search: [Google]
eDhY5PC.jpg
65KB, 638x455px
>>34286446
I think the only reason they look cooler is because high cap mags have been become inexorably associated with faggots
>>
>>34285756
that is partly lies to justify Obama's H1B visa program.

The inflate the number of jobs so they can bring more people over via the H1B.

The job might not be nearly as in-demand as the stats show.
>>
>>34286465
O-Obama's tryna take our jubs!!!!
>>
>>34286481
No he just lies about how many of them there are so he can import more non-whites.
>>
>>34286509
Yeah the guy who hasn't been in office for 6 months is still trying to ruin our lives
Fuck you Obama
>>
>>34285132
Yeah, you should still get a welding engineering degree.
>>
>>34286520
When did the latest issue come out, retard?
>>
File: 1468250555659.jpg (80KB, 960x406px) Image search: [Google]
1468250555659.jpg
80KB, 960x406px
>>34286368
I can way in since I'm currently employed in this field, pick up SQL and Python those two matched with what you've learned so far will start opening some doors. Also, considering what your end goal is for a career, and start picking up certifications for the skills required for the position. Lastly, show as much motivation in whatever you start out in. There are shit positions even in desk jobs, but if you show your current employers that you have a drive to do well in the position you can go far.
>>
>>34285132
That or machining. Or both. Thats what I'm doing.
>>
>>34284780

Chem E. and Petroleum E. are EXTREMELY saturated ATM.

It really depends on what youre good at. Quite frankly, not everyone is capable if being an engineer. If you have the math chops, EE and ME are the two best paths atm. There's basically never a lack of jobs for a competent design or metrology engineer.

I graduated from a fairly high end engineering school with a 2.5gpa in M.E. and 2 Co-ops, and immediately got 3 offers for 65-78k a year jobs. shit definitely pays if you can pass a drug test and get through an interview without going full aspergers.

If you cant cut it in engineering school, getting a math degree and going the actuarial route is an excellent choice. Going for a 3 year trade degree and becomming an engineering tech pays well and has a LOT of upward mobility as well.
>>
>>34288437
Definately this.

If you're not willing to work for the engineering degree you could also consider Construction Management which is basically just Engineering-Lite.

STEM is cash money though.
>>
>>34284614
>It seems people on /k/ are in one of two places financially.
>
>1. They are your typical 4chan poorfag.
>2. I'd like to add 4 MG42s to my vault.

Nigger what?

I'm an engineer with no debt, making a decent salary and no gf. That describes a lot of people on /k/.
>>
File: IMG_2591.jpg (188KB, 505x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2591.jpg
188KB, 505x960px
Would a mechanical engineering degree be the best bet if I wanted to design guns in the future?
>>
Currently working to become a forensic pathologist.

But like >>34288513 said, STEM is where you make your big money.
>>
>>34288563

>design
yes
>build
not necessarily. machining is a skill you have to learn on you own.

As someone with a mechanical engineering degree, I feel that Electrical Engineering is the true masterrace. Those guys have such a strong math background that they can pick up pretty much any engineering competency easily. I buy my departments sole EE doughnuts every week for a reason.
>>
>>34288620
Thanks, man. Didn't know EE has that much math knowledge.
>>
>>34288620
>>34289141
Aerospace engineering is another discipline that is heavy on advanced maths.
>>
The world is your oyster young fuck. Choose something your good at thay matters, and apply yourself to it. Good paying jobs will most likely be there.

T. Nurse practitioner/ wife is controller with CPA and MBA
>>
>>34284614

Mechanical Engineering my man, then you can build your own relatively nice bang sticks while being universally useful and pocketing tidy amounts of cash.
>>
>>34288569
Where are you studying? I've been told that there's not a lot of positions but I can't talk shit as a Paleontology student
>>
Engineering majors are the new psychology majors except they are for autistic guys not stupid teen girls.
>>
>>34288437
How was northeastern?
>>
>>34284780
Im in school for materials science engineering, metallurgy, right now and I can tell you what it is nowhere near saturated. just check this shit
>>>https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes172131.htm
>>
>>34284780
where you going/planning to go to school trip fag
>>
>>34289141

Circuit analysis and Control Systems are basically all Differential Equations and imaginary number bullshit
>>
>>34289505

The curriculum was hard, the professors and advisors in the MIE department are(ALMOST) all fantastic. The way the Coop program is integrated into the school means no one has trouble getting them, which is nice too.

The cost of living in that part of Boston is nutty though. Dorms are like 6-7k a semester and a studio apartment is 1400-1800 a month.
>>
>>34284614
>I'm the rare upper middle class person

You mean your parents are because as of right now, you've demonstrated absolutely zero value in your life at this point.
>>
File: endmylife.jpg (99KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
endmylife.jpg
99KB, 900x1200px
>tfw did a health sciences degree
>learned 2 years in the only job that this will get you that is at all interesting is in research
>to do that you have to do additional study
>the research field is known for being hard to make a living in
>tfw friend did same degree in honours
>he's been looking for work as a lab tech for 5 years
>tfw did a summer research placement, hated it
>tfw about to finish a degree I've been studying for 4 years and it led nowhere
Don't go to uni, get a trade.
>>
>>34290782
Fuck magic

OP could always enlist in the nuclear navy and hang himself in Goose Creek
>>
>>34284614
Nuclear Engineering.

There is a whole generation of guys retiring right now all over the country. Lots of openings that are paying premiums for new grads they can train to their facilities.
>>
I graduated as a EE in 2015 and currently employed as a software engineer at a small contractor. My advise: go to any and all job fairs and spread your seed amongst the people there. Get as many internship and co-op offers as possible.
>>
>>34284614
I used to work as a software dev and hated it. I quit that shit and just cook for the wife and her bull now.So much less stressful.
>>
>>34290873

Yeah, nursing school or med school are pretty much the only lucrative options in health sciences. It's a shame how many kids who aren't interested in working in a clinical setting get pushed into bio degrees
>>
File: 1495261554162.jpg (110KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1495261554162.jpg
110KB, 1024x576px
>>34284614
>What's the best degree for these skills for maximum cash after college?
Engineering (mainly ME and EE) is best, but you may end up as a soulless megacorp drone if you don't like it. as long as you're getting paid I guess. Math with some kind of finance/business expertise to work for shekelstein. If you're not interested in math, accounting is a good path if you are patient and become a CPA. Nursing is okay, put you need to clean up poo (lol). Most other degrees are for academia
>>
>>34291772
I know nothing the post.
>>
File: berniemac.jpg (29KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
berniemac.jpg
29KB, 450x300px
>>34284614
>I'm the rare upper middle class
>About to go to college

You mean your parents are. God damn kid you are such a tryhard retard fuck.
>>
>>34284614
Oven middle class
>>
File: BLANKFEIN.jpg (69KB, 664x441px) Image search: [Google]
BLANKFEIN.jpg
69KB, 664x441px
Don't fall for the stem meme, the industry is shrinking (personnel wise) and you won't find an interesting job without a masters

Go finance, vector towards an IBD job, you'll be able to clear $200k by the time you're in your mid to late 20s
Learn about M&A, S&T, LBOs, Raising Capital, Cash flow modeling, venture capital and private equity.
Work on modeling, less math than engineering, better outcomes.

In bonuses + salary I'll be making near $235k this year before taxes

Computer skills: VBA, financial modeling, research, Algorithm Based Trading
Public Speaking: Pitching, presentations, networking, ass kissing

Engineering is 40-60 hours a week of menial shit, my buddies in defense and automotive in R&D are on reddit most of the day
Finance is more raw hours but is significantly more interesting.
>>
File: 1497648521387.jpg (7KB, 210x230px) Image search: [Google]
1497648521387.jpg
7KB, 210x230px
>>34292680
>I don't know how to greentext: the post

brilliant argument
>>
>>34292746
What do your buddies in defense do exactly?
>>
>>34292832
Aerospace engineering for big firms
These first few years out of college I've been told they have very little work for non doctorates
They get solidworks projects and other menial stuff, they do CFD analysis, every day is more or less the same
>>
>>34292860
That's interesting, I'm >>34288563
So if aerospace has little work for non doctorates, would that also be the same for the firearms industry, given that they're both defense?
>>
>>34292890
Nah senpai, aerospace and automotive are very very reliant on fluids, heat transfer and crazy ass dynamics

Firearms are much more simple, but unless you start your own company I can't imagine there are many R&D positions at gun manufacturers

I'm not 100% sure though, call up the smith and wesson HR people and ask, they're expanding like crazy lately
>>
>>34292921
Thanks senpai, do you know any other firearms companies that are rapidly expanding?
>>
>>34284614
get a degree in kys
>>
>>34292966
Very few are publicly traded
Sturm Ruger (Ruger, RGR) and Smith and Wesson (American Outdoor Brands AOBC) are the only public ones

You can read about their expansion via what's called a 10k or 10q (Annual or Quarterly report) to see what they're planning on
>>
>>34292746
>Go finance, vector towards an IBD job, you'll be able to clear $200k by the time you're in your mid to late 20s

Consider consulting as well. I work at an MBB firm and first year consultant comp post-MBA is 30k signing + 147 base +20-30 other

You can also lateral as an executive to a private equity portfolio company out of consulting, such as Remington/AAC (owned by the freedom group)
>>
File: IMG_2101.jpg (88KB, 864x722px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2101.jpg
88KB, 864x722px
>>34293040
I'm going to have to look at those reports now. Also, one last question. Would any companies making new factories in the states(ex. HK) have any need for a weapons engineer/designer?
>>
>>34293076
>MBB firm
My boy
Working for one of the big three is good shit
The accounting base that seems required always put me off
>>
>>34293129
>accounting base that seems required

I entered post-MBA and MBA accounting courses are easy as hell, along with all the other courses. The key skillsets you need to thrive in an MBA program and be good at consulting are mainly communication and teamwork.
>>
>>34284614
Edit: Mommy and Daddy's MONEY
>>
>>34284799
This is why I'm halfway though an engineering degree and thinking of going to law school after instead of working in the field. Fucking pajeets, chinks, autists, and autistic pajeets and chinks. Soul crushing but interesting to be an underclassman bossing around graduating seniors because they couldn't organize a project to save their lives.
>>
>>34293203
>thinking of going to law school

ISHYGDDT
>>
>>34293169
>are mainly communication and teamwork.

Shit
>>
File: 1493692147473.gif (982KB, 500x346px) Image search: [Google]
1493692147473.gif
982KB, 500x346px
>>34292713

Came here to say this. I don't think you can claim anything about your financial status untill you've proven you can obtain that status with your own resources.
>>
>>34293203

Just wait till they open up law to offshoring. Debt collections, rental contracts, and ancillary legal service are low hanging fruit, being easy jobs that could be done by automation today if it weren't for the liability component.
>>
>>34293290
This tbqh
>>
Burger thinks MG42 is expensive.
What about an FG42 pleb?
>>
How much would I get for a rusted 37mm anti-aircraft Bofors cannon from the thirties?

Because its still in my grandfathers barn, sometime during the war the soviets were here and sold it to my grandpa for his famous moonshine and the madman actually accepted for whatever fucking reason. Nowadays its a family secret nobody talks about but I'd dig through the straw to play with it as a kid. There's ammo too but gramps hid it separately somewhere and nobody found it yet.
>>
File: 1497733507998.png (281KB, 828x973px) Image search: [Google]
1497733507998.png
281KB, 828x973px
is there a job that pays well that isn't fucking engineering

i was going to get an engineering job out of high school and then I had an accident my freshman year of college which basically subtracted like -20 from my IQ and now I'm more retarded than I was when i went off to college, had to take a break for 3 years now I'm back in school taking business classes because i have no idea what to do anymore

is MIS okay? That's basically business management plus IT right?
>>
>>34294348
>i was going to get an engineering job out of high school
Sorry I meant to write, "I was going to pursue an egineering degree out of high school"
This is the head injury kicking in
>>
File: 1497402492316.jpg (7KB, 320x186px) Image search: [Google]
1497402492316.jpg
7KB, 320x186px
>>34294348
>had an accident my freshman year of college which basically subtracted like -20 from my IQ

wtf
>>
>>34294376
head injuries are no joke
>>
>>34292746
So a straight finance degree or like an economics/business degree with a focus on finance.
>>
>>34294348
'tism bucks?
>>
>>34294441
Power rankings for Investment Banking:
Finance + Statistics
Finance + Mathematics
Finance + Accounting
Finance + Economics
Finance + Business

What actually helps is networking, academic and meticulous clubs (I rebuilt motorcycle engines for 4 years on my FSAE team, was an officer in our extremely competitive investment club and generated some solid returns, worked on startups in algorithm based options trading, AI, defense engineering and VR for real estate).

I managed to meet some serious people by reaching out through professors and speaking to speakers after talks.

Gotta be as qualified as you can and then differentiate yourself from the already top 1% you're in to the 1/100,000 that makes it into an analyst role at a bulge bracket bank
>>
>>34294480
Do you have any advice for me
>>34294348
What jobs are decent in the business field? Is economics an okay degree? Finance doesn't interest me at all
>>
File: 1497642982009.png (487KB, 944x720px) Image search: [Google]
1497642982009.png
487KB, 944x720px
Upper middle is 150 to 200k a year.
If you are wondering what degree to get to make money and you are pulling more than that already you are doing it wrong.
Pretty much sounds like your parents are upper middle you however are a poorfag.
>>
File: e0d267eb5fe213de92d67a087c759528.jpg (706KB, 2403x1475px) Image search: [Google]
e0d267eb5fe213de92d67a087c759528.jpg
706KB, 2403x1475px
>>34294517
>What advice
I just gave you a bunch dummy
Give me your elevator pitch
>>34294517
>Decent jobs
Unless you get your jollies in accounting or programming, no, you have to hunt for big money
Big money is either found in banking at high level roles or in sales if you are an absolute maniac that can stave for months and make big things happen, this is largely contingent on being an incredible salesmen, speaker and faux-friend and fiduciary to dozens and then hundreds of clients
>>
>>34284757
>If you do this, try to get a job that requires security clearance. That way they can't hire Indians to replace you.
>>34285797
>those jobs are intellectually worthless, pay terrible and have the worst hours imaginable
>ask me how i know

You misunderstood WHICH clearance for which jobs.

I am TS and ITAR, with a Ph.D. Nothing nonintellectual or worthless happens where I work.

Dont be a fucking half-ass machinist or designer at shitty job shop with a community college Associates degree
>>
>>34286554
>>34286554
>Yeah, you should still get a welding engineering degree.

Its not the most prestigious degree to say the least. Not even alot of highly ranked Universities offer it.

Materials Science and aeronatics are fucking GOAT degrees, and you dont have to find a local clown college to get one. Hell, everyone from MIT down offers them.

Despite what people might try to say, your School matters if not just for the networking. Get in good with your professors, and wag a Harvard sheepskin around and see how well you do.

better than a barely accredited financially unstable shit school. or worse, community college.

If you get an EE degree, DO get your Masters, and consider going somewhere on the west coast.
>>
>>34294348
>accident my freshman year of colleg

Drunken accident or directly from the booze (encephalopathy?)

Combination of Buspar and Melatonin can increase neuroplasticity significantly, get on that shit.

For the buspar, just say to your do you're anxious and depressed and want to try buspar, it's super benign, so you shouldn't have any trouble getting it prescribe.
>>
>>34294480
I was thinking about Finance + economics. I don
t know if I'm that good a salesman though.
>>
>>34294348
My brother had a similar head injury from a car crash as a passenger and is going through the same thing. He wasn't that smart to begin with but it really did in his ability to learn new things. Shit's debilitating man, but the best way to heal is to keep exercising your mind.

As for a career, I would have gone into engineering if not for my horrible math skills and a few other things. A few physical issues prevented me from pursuing mechanic and piloting and military career paths so I had to really find what I've got the skill to do.

I'm going for voice over / voice acting while pursuing a specialized degree and building connections as tie-ins or fallback employment, and to build connections. Took me forever to learn I have skill for an industry like this. Shit isn't gonna pay well unless I'm persistent and walk on eggshells and suck up to all the weird people in the industry, but it's one of the only passions I have left in life that I have a chance of making a living off of.
>>
The famous author and motivational speaker Zig Ziglar said: "You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." So, in other words, major in something that will give you the ability to offer a product or service that other people are are willing to pay you good money for. Don't major in art history or women's studies. Medicine, engineering, computer science, etc. would be some good options for you to think about.
Thread posts: 93
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.