[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who had it worst in WW2?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

File: 101st vs 1st.jpg (768KB, 1996x1304px) Image search: [Google]
101st vs 1st.jpg
768KB, 1996x1304px
Screaming Eagles or The Old Breed?

1st Marine Division
>Guadalcanal Campaign
>Battle of Cape Gloucester
>Battle of Peleliu
>Battle of Okinawa

101st Airborne Division
>Normandy
>Operation Market Garden
>Battle of the Bulge
>Western Allied invasion of Germany

What do you think /k/?
>>
>>34280104
Old Breed.
>Malaria, an enemy that didn't take prisoners and would fight to the death, living in a swamp.
>>
File: Guadalcanal.jpg (83KB, 715x557px) Image search: [Google]
Guadalcanal.jpg
83KB, 715x557px
>>34280217
Yep that's a strong point, nice place to die.
>>
File: the old breed.jpg (54KB, 715x570px) Image search: [Google]
the old breed.jpg
54KB, 715x570px
>>34280249
>>
>>34280104
old breed
>>
>>34280104
the 101st was autistically trained for years before they finally jumped with the best gear and mission specific training. 1st Marines were just thrown into it with springfield's to make do. That said the 101st pulled of crazy individual stunts against the odds but they weren't as bogged down and miserable as the marines
>>
Old Breed. I fucking love the 101it's exploits during the Second Dubya.

But the Old Breed definitely had it worst. They went through fucking hell, man.
>>
>>34280104

>18 year olds with bolt action rifles thrown in against a Japanese force with momentum in a swamp island
>their supply ship gets destroyed before they can offload half of their shit
>fighting in the jungle with CONSTANT bombardment of the japs
>malaria
>Japanese warfare of no surrender and no prisoners taken

against

>last year of the European theater
>the Russians already claimed the war
>sent in a spot where the Germans arent even present
>the real fighting occurs at different beaches
>the real soldiers are dying in the Eastern front
>still manage to fuck up against the last ditch effort to turn the tide, which fails because the Germans LITERALLY run out of fuel

If Guadalcanal falls, so does Australia, which in effect means that the US loses its hold on the Pacific until years later. The Marines won the war in Guadalcanal.

The paratroopers of the 101st had 0 impact on the outcome of the war in Europe. The only thing of note was Bastogne, which again, was mostly due to the weather and lack of German supplies, not due to some "BAND OF HEROES" bullshit.
>>
>>34280104
Old breed. I even heard (don't know if it's just the old breed, or some other unit or a multitude of units) that at one point they had no water. Finally when water did come it came in empty oil drums that weren't scrubbed or cleaned out and they all got horribly sick from the water/oil mixture but they had no other choice than to drink it.

I'd take being cold and hungry while getting bombarded with German artillery constantly than that shit.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.