[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help ID A Mauser

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

Hey /k/, so, my gunsmith has a commercial mauser 98 + pu scope for sale at what seems like a good price, in good condition too. However, in trying to ID the thing in google images, i cant find a single example that matches this thing. It has a forestock that looks like the one in the pic attached, swept down at the end. But the rest of the rifle is exactly like an ordinary commercial 98.

Any idea what that means? Is this thing bubba'd? Or were there commercial 98's that looked like this? Google utterly failed me.
Cheers!

Btw, its tag in the store says its 8mm. Not sure if they made the commercials in 8mm. Maybe my store owner derped.

Thanks lads.
>>
Bump?
>>
I work in a place that has one of the largest collection of Mauser rifles. If you post a pic I will identify it. I don't believe Mauser ever produced a thumbhole commercial stock for 98s I could be wrong. The forend shape your describing is what's referred to a Schnabel. It looks like the underside of a dingus. Lots of commercial guns had them.
>>
No one?

If i dont find out whats up with this thing I'll probably buy his unissued unfired (except for storage testing) SKS instead
>>
>>34278882
A lot of commercial M98's had Schnabel forends, also don't be thrown off by seeing a military action in an old style sporter stock. Depending on the age it could be a Guild Gun, they were gunsmith guild built rifles from the 1920's using military actions.
>>
File: Andrew's 8x57 guild rifle.jpg (147KB, 1000x788px) Image search: [Google]
Andrew's 8x57 guild rifle.jpg
147KB, 1000x788px
>>34279032
>>
>>34279032
Fantastic answer, thank you! Do you think it detracts from the rifles worth at all?
>>
>>34278431
Have you looked here?
https://www.mauser.com/en/products/
>>
>>34279248
Yeah it doesnt match any of those.
>>34279044
Is the closest match ive found
>>
So to sum up it sounds like its a K98 guild rifle with a PU scope included, in good condition. Hes selling it for 400. Is that price worth it? I know nothing about guild rifles.
>>
>>34279503
God yes it's worth that, it may not actually be a PU scope but a vintage equivalent of some sort. Guild Guns can easily fetch 750-1000 or more depending on the quality of the work. They're a neat subset of sporting rifle and not that common.
>>
One of the easiest ways to determine whether you are looking at a purpose-built sporting Mauser, or one made from a military rifle is the way the action is marked with the manufacturer's rollmark, and proof-house markings. German military firearms have different proof markings than those made for the civilian market.

Lots of companies besides Mauser Werke/DWM made Mauser-pattern sporting rifles.
>>
>>34281526
Excellent! Thanks for the help! It's 400 in CAD too so I think I might have stumbled on something my gunsmith doesnt know he has.

I'll be sure to look at the rollmark, that will confirm the suspicions. But I'm fairly confident this thing is running mauser military action at the very least. The bolt handle is bent down flush to the stock, not raised, and the safety isnt modified either.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.