[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/v/ maymays aside, is the action of a PPSH-41 strong enough to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 8

/v/ maymays aside, is the action of a PPSH-41 strong enough to handle 12 gauge shells if it was scaled up?
>>
>>34275202

probably considering shotgun pressures are comparatively low due to the smooth bore
>>
>>34275202
1200 fps shouldn't be a problem, why would it be. Could probably even take a heavier loaded one no problem.
>>
>>34275202
do you actually want to build it
>>
File: 1496903728840.jpg (17KB, 316x239px) Image search: [Google]
1496903728840.jpg
17KB, 316x239px
>>34275202

why do I hate the barrel shroud on the PPSH so much
>>
>>34275248
It's because you like penis anon.
>>
kp31 is better
>>
>>34275254
I like penis and I love the barrel shroud.
>>
>>34275248
Because the holes let you burn the tips of your fingers?
>>
File: superior finnish firearm.jpg (4KB, 313x161px) Image search: [Google]
superior finnish firearm.jpg
4KB, 313x161px
>>
File: sten action.gif (1MB, 800x409px) Image search: [Google]
sten action.gif
1MB, 800x409px
>>34275202
Not comfortably, it'd be a fucking big gun.

The PPSh41 is straight-blowback, meaning the action is 'locked' literally by the bolt being heavy enough to hold back against the force of the fired cartridge, until pressure in the chamber is safe enough for extraction to start. The bolt comes back, if it has an extractor it will have grabbed onto the rim of the cartridge (I can't recall if the PPSh41 had an extractor or not, but generally, small calibers seem to very consistently 'extract' on their own by chamber pressure), the bolt moves back to open the port and allow the extracted case to bounce against the ejector and fuck off.
Now, the PPSh41 fires from an open-bolt, and being a blowback submachinegun, this generally means that it doesn't have a separate hammer or firing-pin, rather the firing-pin is fixed to the bolt-face, and the bolt is held back in the open position by the sear/trigger, under tension of the mainspring.
When you pull the trigger, the bolt is let go, the spring pushes the bolt forward, where it picks up the next cartridge from the magazine and immediately chambers and fires it, the inertia and weight transferring through the firing-pin, acting as it's own hammer. The process is then repeated.

For small calibers like .22LR and .32ACP, this is easy and very functional, for service pistol calibers like 9mm and .45ACP, it works, but it's largely only done in carbines and subguns, it can be done for pistols but they will be heavier. For rifle and shotgun calibers, you start seeing diminishing returns, with more velocity, with more projectile mass, you need a heavier bolt, and a stronger spring.
A .308 Winchester blowback rifle would have a bolt heavier than the rest of the rifle, and a spring that's incredibly hard to overcome, meaning it's difficult to cock it manually.
Open-bolt blowback shotguns can be done, the AA12 is one, but it's not exactly amazing, there's a reason you literally only ever see them in movies and videogames.
>>
>>34275316
>>34275261
Pretty sure PPSh would win at average ww2 battle distance.
>>
>>34275396
dude ever hear of the winter war the fins used the kp31 the rusks used the ppsh
long story short the fins won
>>
You would basically have to make it really fat, and really heavy.

>>34275213
Well pressure is low, but you have projectile mass instead.

>due to the smooth bore
Not exactly.

>>34275261
Yes it is.

>>34275269
Don't stick your fingers inside it?

>>34275396
They have the same reach and are used at the same distances.
>>
File: aa-12.jpg (82KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
aa-12.jpg
82KB, 600x300px
>>34275389
So the AA12 works, it also uses a setup called "Advanced Primer Ignition", meaning the cartridge is detonated very slightly before chambering, the idea here being to counteract some of the force coming back.
It's full of concepts and setups like these, including being set up to fire at a slow cyclic rate, all in the effort to make a shotgun that is controllable in full-auto fire, and it is controllable, but it's really not a worthwhile endeavor, there really isn't a time where controllable full-auto fire has a realistically practical application with a shotgun, that can't be done better with a normal shotgun.

Likewise, you could make an open-bolt blowback shotgun that looks a lot like a PPSh41 in a lot of ways, but as a semi-auto shotgun, it'd be awfully inferior to a proper semi-auto shotgun design, and as a full-auto shotgun it would just be retarded.
>>
>>34275426
But PPSh have better firerate and ammo
>>
>>34275567
>muh firerate
accuracy is a better thing to focus on
>muh ammo
smol 7.62 is are weak compared to 9mm
>>
File: 343.png (485KB, 495x562px) Image search: [Google]
343.png
485KB, 495x562px
>>34275601
>accuracy is a better thing to focus on
>at average ww2 battle distance.
>>
>>34275621
so your telling me that accuracy is not important and ww2 era soldiers shoulda been using bullet hoses that cant hit a barn at point blank
>>
>>34275647
At least it works for machinepistols
>>
>>34275726
machine pistols are not very practical
>>
>>34275418
Lindybiege please go.
>>
File: kp31_72rd_drum_9mm_luger.jpg (136KB, 621x307px) Image search: [Google]
kp31_72rd_drum_9mm_luger.jpg
136KB, 621x307px
>>34275567
>better fire rate
I'd argue the high rate of fire is a disservice, there's never a scenario where a subgun firing 1200rpm instead of 600rpm would be an advantage in infantry combat, if anything it wastes the high capacity of the gun. Yeah you shot him 16 times, but what good is that if you could have shot him 5 times and done the same job, saving the other 11?
What if he dies or is incapacitated by the 3rd or 4th shot already, what good did those extra bullets do you?

>better ammo
Debatable, 7.62mm Tokarev works alright (I think it's better in a long gun than a handgun), but honestly higher bullet weights are preferred for pistol calibers in combat, better barrier penetration. They're roughly comparable, but nobody is issuing the cartridge these days.

The PPsh41 has a jamtastic drum by the way, they stopped issuing them with drums before the war was over, because they were too damn troublesome.
Meanwhile, the Kp31 has a drum that, while heavy, is also incredibly dependable and reliable.

>>34275621
It's an open bolt weapon, so right there we're looking at a dip in accuracy compared to a closed bolt weapon, a significant amount of the weapon's weight immediately shifts forward before it fires. 7.62mm shoots a little flatter, but it doesn't actually matter for a weapon like this.

Accuracy on a weapon like the PPSh41 or Kp31 will always be mediocre in ideal conditions, their range is 100 yards at the maximum, grouping wide, but most combat with one would probably struggle to reach much beyond 50 yards.
These things aren't like an H&K MP5 or Colt SMG where there's good inherent accuracy and very soft recoil, old open-bolt blowback subguns, particularly like the Kp31 and PPsh41, are by and large bullethoses, and in my opinion, a bullet hose that's easier to stretch longer, and which has a substantially more reliable magazine, the Kp31, is superior.
>>
File: Beretta 93-1-.jpg (142KB, 700x512px) Image search: [Google]
Beretta 93-1-.jpg
142KB, 700x512px
>>34275726
Machinepistols have a high rate of fire because they're full-auto versions of regular pistols, and most service pistols are short-recoil operated.
Short-recoil pistols tend to cycle very fast, which matters little in semi-auto, but a lot for full-auto.

Since machinepistols tend to thus have a very high cyclic rate, and they're small and not as easy to control as a long gun, it's a weapon that's very difficult for someone to handle without significant training and familiarity, and it's questionable if other guns can't do the same thing but better.

Machinepistols are not particularly widespread in use for these reasons.
I'd say that the best machinepistol devised is the Beretta 93r, for giving you a solid point of contact with the enlarged trigger-guard (which you hook your thumb through), an extension for grip, ported muzzle, and for the fact that the gun fires in semi-auto, or a 3 round burst, meaning it'll be a very controllable weapon in rapid fire, it will never run away on you.

If there was an easy way to reliably make a good machinepistol that cycles at 800rpm or less, I think they'd be a lot less niche.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.