[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I store my guns long term?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: Storage-Unit-Sizes.png (133KB, 500x243px) Image search: [Google]
Storage-Unit-Sizes.png
133KB, 500x243px
I'm planning on leaving my guns behind for a few years. How do I store them so they aren't destroyed in a few years from sitting? I have a few ARs, some rifles with wood stocks and some polymer pistols and one stainless steel revolver. My plan is to rent an indoor climate controlled storage unit. I was going to break the rifles down and lock them in my tool box and the pistols will fit fine. But that's as far as I got with my plan. How do I ensure my guns don't rust as they sit? I know to keep them out of soft cases. Do i just fill plastic bags with cosmoline and stuff the guns inside? I don't have anyone who can periodically check on them or anyone I can leave the guns with.
>>
>>34274965
Give em here, I'll take care of them for you.
>>
>>34274965
Honestly, I'd bury them then probably. If you get a storage unit you better pay your shit or it'll be on one of those storage pawn shop TV shows.
>>
Socks.
>>
>>34274999

I have nowhere to bury them unfortunately. That was my first plan, but not many places to bury shit in Florida. I do have family and friends who can ensure my funds are allocated for the unit to be paid for.
>>
>>34274965
cosmoline
>>
>>34274965
If they're in climate control, there's no need to cosmoline them. Just make sure everything is clean and oiled and free from fingerprints, and toss them wherever. Ammo preferably goes in air-tight ammo cans with some dessicant packs. Be wary though, and make damned sure they storage place is always paid.

How long are we talking? While painful, you might consider selling them, considering the long term rental costs. Storage at a very good friend or close family member's place might be worth considering.
>>
>>34275024
This

>break down guns
>put in tub of cosmoline
>seal it
>bury it in a neighbor or friends backyard
>>
>>34275047

Not sure how long. I've enlisted in the chair force. How long is it usually until I would be able to get a hold of them and store them on my own?

The shed is cheap, $40 a month. Ensuring it's always paid for wouldn't be a problem. I've never been late or come up short on any bills ever.

Friends and family holding onto them aren't really an option. My old man is prohibited from owning guns and I don't trust him. Mom wants nothing to do with the guns. My friends all live in a state where simply owning most of my guns is a crime. Plus everyone I know rents so burying them on their land isn't possible.
>>
>>34275287
You obviously can't have them through BMT, then when you go to tech school you still can't have them. Once you get to your first duty station if you're single you'll be in the dorms, so you can have them sent but they need to stay at the security forces armory. If you're married you can just keep when wherever you want.
>>
For once this is your chance to apply glorious Cosmoline!

OP.... Do not pass this up. You will never forgive yourself.
>>
>>34275313
Okay cool. Soooo like a year maybe I'm looking at storing them until I can get them sent to my first duty station? What if I'm stationed somewhere with restrictive gun laws?

>>34275334
I'm probably gonna do this anyways just because.
>>
This seems like a good enough thread to ask.
Going to be moving into college campus, won't be able to take guns with me. Are there something like lockers you can store your rifles at off property at a nearby range? Can't have them at home but can legally own them in the state.
>>
>>34274965
>>34275455
>>34275379
I've looked into it a bit, and other than a self-storage unit, you might try valet storage. They pick up and store stuff for you, at relatively low rates. Some ranges have storage, but it's not terribly common.

>>34275455
Might be worth asking the campus PD about it. They may have storage recommendations or facilities.
>>
>>34275516
Second asking campus PD. If they don't know they'd probably look into it for you just to make sure no weapons were being stored improperly.
>>
>>34275543
Plus it might help you get chummy with the cops. Lord knows a lot of cops suck, but it definitely doesn't hurt to have some friends and have even the bad ones think you're ok.
>>
>>34275455
My unis police department offers free storage of firearms for students. I never did that, I just kept my fucking weapons with me and told no one. Easy
>>
>>34275553
Hell, I'd say it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility they'd store it for him.
>>
>>34275334
>>
>>34274965
Linn seed oil for wood. Soak the the metal with ballistol or oil or W/E. Wrap in silicone gun sock.
>>
>>34275455
If you don't have too many guns and have shaded parking you can leave them in your car since that's considered an extension of your personal property wherever you are in any civilized state. Barring that I'd look into ranges that offer storage. I wouldn't trust campus police but if you're willing to have all the property you leave with them inventoried and logged then what the other guys suggested might be a good option. Unless you have a ton of guns and a hundred thousand rounds general-purpose storage units are a last resort since it's not really worth the $40+ a month, usually much more for climate controlled, to rent out a large walk-in closet that you won't use most of. If all else fails, just close the blinds and don't tell anybody. There won't be cameras in your room.

If you can, look for a decent off-campus apartment as soon as possible. Living on campus is hell, even leaving aside the periodic nonconsensual invasions by staff and the restrictions on freedom within your domicile.
>>
>>34274965
>plastic bags
I think you mean polymer bags
>>
>>34275555
Where I went does this. Based on my interactions with the campus police, not sure I'd go this route though. Most of them were dicks and I could imagine they would do a semi-interrogation about why I needed them back but I digress.

>>34275555
If its an apartment, its fine (assuming you don't have a high crime campus) but I wouldn't do that in the dorms. You could get a shitty roommate that tattles or smokes too much pot and gets your dorm searched and, well, you just got kicked out of college.
Or your shitty stoned roommate forgets to lock the door and you just got your guns and laptop stolen. Which could happen in an apartment too I suppose.

I left mine in my parents safe for 4 years. Frankly, it was easier and safer that way.
>>
>>34274965
get a wood crate for guns, and slather them bitches in some cosmoline
>>
>>34274965
just pay a lawyer to hold on to them for you
>>
slather them in cosmolene and wrap them in a few layers of heavy duty trash bags
>>
>>34274965
Hide them in your rectum.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.