[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Marine asks Army

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 10

File: 1494567786427.jpg (305KB, 1746x1180px) Image search: [Google]
1494567786427.jpg
305KB, 1746x1180px
US Marine here, got a question for Army dogs here:

How is your basic training different from our boot camp?

I'm honestly curious. I see big differences in attitude and performance in the field, but I don't buy entirely into our "da Corps is da best fighting force ever" stuff.

Does the Army just not focus much on indoctrination and teamwork? Is it because most soldiers never will see combat?
>>
>>34272717
That is a fantastically exploitable picture.

There are basically two different kinds of Army basic. Most people in combat arms do OSUT. One Station Unit Training takes you from filthy civilian to filthy infantry/MP/some other stuff. Generally all your DSs in OSUT are from the MOS they are training. There is also the expectation that your unit will continue training new Joes in their respective jobs.
Most soldiers have basic and then go to Advanced Individual Training. This may be at the same base and with many of their basic buddies, or it may not. This is where a new soldier either crystalizes into a military person at home in that context, or someone putting on the uniform and just doing the job. MOS schools differ, classes differ, so results can be all over. I did 68w training and it was nuts. PT every day, full kit movements all the time, STX lanes for everything, and then War Week at Camp Bullis. My supply guy had a whole different experience.
>>
>>34272717
>Because they'll never see combat
Army used to do big boy tours the Marines couldn't hack like 15 months so don't put your foot in your mouth son. Indoctrination was heavy in 2005 when I went thru infantry OSUT, obviously our POG basics were a bit soft.
>>
>>34272717
How's boot camp?
I think it's cool they let you use your phones so you can still make threads like this. Say hi to your DI for me.
>>
>>34272717
It's more the indoctrination than anything, less actually being more/less difficult.

While the Marines usually have that "rah!" attitude while doing shitty stuff, the Army (usually) doesn't.

In the Army being cynical/being a constant complainer but still doing your job or having "false motivation" (better than no motivation) is the norm while doing shitty stuff.
Nothing really discourages that.

Marines are just told/expected to have a more motivating attitude while doing the exact same tasks.
>>
>>34272717

I went through recently into Infantry OSUT, summer 2016. I've never been through Marine Corps training obviously, so I have nothing to compare it to. The Drill Sergeants we had ''fired'' our PLs every week for the stupidest sort of things, so we were in a constant state of chaos and disorder. We were also discouraged from things like looking certain Drill Sergeants in the eyes, etc.

We were arranged into four Squads with two Teams each with their own leader, and this remained fairly constant, so there became somewhat of a bigger reliance on the TL than on the SL or the PL. This created bonds, and we were always competing with the other platoons as well.

Smoke sessions were still very much a thing as well. I remember being smoked at 0430 every morning either because a particular Drill Sergeant just adored fucking with me (I was quite tall and very noticeable with my deep voice and glasses) or because they found something one of us in the formation wasn't doing right, and they frequently did this with our morning stretch routine, which really was more of a fuckfest after a certain point.
>>
>>34273325
Any other vets just completely skip over any new private's basic training stories?

Basic training stories are the most boring thing in the world. No one gives a shit.

>muh smoking at 0400 because Drill Sergeant didn't like me
>>
>>34273349

Are you some kind of nonserved cunt larping as a vet or what? What the hell?
>>
>>34273349
the only fun basic stories are normal stories that just happened to have happened at basic

like, i won a grill by poledancing while crossdressing once. during leave from basic. but really the more important part of the story is the crossdressing and poledancing, not that I was enrolled at basic at the time
>>
File: 1492973111807.jpg (40KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
1492973111807.jpg
40KB, 450x600px
>>34273349
>Basic training stories are the most boring thing in the world.

Well, why are you in a thread that is discussing the point of the difference of the basic training period between the two branches then? That doesn't make much sense, now does it?
>>
>>34272717
less crayons
less glue
less indoctrination (unless you join the rangers)
>>
>>34273404
Nope. I'm an actual vet who is sick of hearing 18 year olds who just barely got out of basic talking about how crazy their FTX 3 was because drill sergeant woke them up in the middle of the night and then they did a foot march back and it was so hard for them.
>>
>>34273439

Well, whatever they did to you in basic back in your day obviously wasn't enough to give you enough discipline to read what an OP was about before posting.
>>
Why don't all americans do the same basic training?
>>
>>34273462
different branches want to train their people in different ways
>>
>>34273500
But if it's BASIC training, shouldn't everyone get it? Y'know, stuff like how to do drill, general military life, how to shoot a gun, how to swim, history and nomenclature classes, how to read maps, etc.?
>>
>>34273533
they dont all have the same needs and they dont all do things the same way
>>
>>34273349
not ones by trainees, ones by trainers are alright
>>
>>34273533
the basics of different cultures are different. take your totalitarian indoctrination fetish back to berkley.
>>
>>34273577
>there are basic skills everyone should have, hence the phrase basic training

>TOTALITARIAN INDOCTRINATION FETISH

uhhh if anything modern muhreen basic is more along the lines of " totalitarian indoctrination fetish" than anything ive described
>>
>>34272828
This is what I gather from most of the hooahs I spoke too, their POGs were fucking terrible but their infantry and mechanized/tracked guys were actually really good at what they do.
>>
>>34273439
>being upset at 18 year olds telling stupid stories

You act like this is limited to the military. Freshmen in college are the same, 18 year olds in general are stupid as fuck.

>'i got so drunk at this party '
>omg I was late to work
>omg teacher is a dick
>do you think xxxx likes me?
>>
>>34273533
Why does the navy need to read a map and why does the army need to understand nautical miles or barometric pressure effects on aircraft?

Seems like a waste of time.
>>
>>34272717
Infantry osut is constant chaos intentional PLatoon leadership shakeups inadequate gear. Contradictory orders from drills. It's immunizes you to bullshit to a degree. They realize you won't care about the 15 meter 2 man .50 cal carry so they don't make you. Osut drills are very honest with you, if you are doing some retarded shit for training they will tells you. No I love the army or anything like that, just be professional. When foreword facing I.e. Only make your bunk 100% perfect if first sargeant is rolling through. Post a guard when you have fight club on the workout mats. That kind of stuff. They did teach a hatred of pogues though.

But you will get a pat on the back for pushing back against meaningless bullshit respectfully or cheating in a inter platoon contest without getting caught. A few of us were given attaboys for taking our time zeroing even while being yelled at to hurry the fuck up. And we were expect to fucking win contests through cheating and even if you skated out of some bullshit detail you would be complimented occasionally.

It's weird but it creates a respect and admiration in infantry drills a from their platoons. I would enlist for life if I could garrentee serving under my senior drill sargeant.
>>
>>34272717
I would say army is more focused on adapting you to handle random bullshit, than any actual military skill or team building shit. Basic training and osut are just one long period of dealing with the most retarded things that could happen, until you can mentally not give a shit about doing retarded things.
>>
>>34272717
>I see big differences in performance in the field

No you don't
>>
>>34272717
Because army pride isn't a thing, you are proud to be in the 101st or proud to be grunt or whatever. Also it's only really 8ish weeks for pogues and that's not too much time to make an impression. It creates brother hood in the big osut jobs because every grunt went to benning and did honor hill and he doesn't know anyone who isn't a grunt the entire time in basic. Unlike being A marine where you will train with some IT and motor pool and grunts and aircrew and finance pogues until you earn a title you all carry about. In infantry osut drills openly mock you earning the title of soldier at week 10 and roll their eyes for the soldiers creed. Infantry are taught to be motivated only when nessacery for things like pt, shooting and tactical shit like clearing rooms and battles drills. And bitching to your buddy isn't really frowned upon. It's treated like a job you are proud of not a lifestyle. Also pogue aren't really and the army and any gear/ammo fuckups will be blamed on supply pogues whenever the admit NCO ducked up and we don't have ammo for 4 hours at the range today. So mos pride over soldier pride and most Mos's have no pride which is good thing. Do you really want a super jacked up water purification guy or a finance guy who wants to crank shit out super fast?
>>
>>34272828
>rewriting his question to make it something you can smarm at
why
>>
>>34272717
How the fuck would they know anything more about marine boot camp than Marines would know about their basic. It's just going to be speculation. Unless they did both, which happens but is so rare, then for them to be a /k/ poster would be even rarer, like unicorn rare I wouldn't believe without proofs.

Anyways, boot camps for boots, that shit doesn't really matter in the long haul at all.
>>
>>34272717
most Marines never see combat either. please tell me you aren't a marine grunt, most of them are as reasonable/unmotivated as army grunts thank god. I dunno what kind performance difference you are seeing in the field but it ain't with combat arms or else the marines wouldn't be at home while the army is in Afghanistan and Syria
>>
>>34272717
>Does the Army just not focus much on indoctrination and teamwork?

The army, as a whole, is a bunch of soft, limp-wristed faggots and shitskins that joined to AVOID combat and get dem gubmint checks. There's only 1 actual combat arms job in the army for every 7-10 support jobs, and it's those support faggots that drag the army down as a whole.

SOF is the last bastion of anything decent in our army, and even they've been cucked by Obama and his faggotry.
>>
>>34275225
Not OP but was a 0311. With the downscale and deescalated war the corps downsized Infantry, even scrapping entire battalions. Marines have MEUs and stuff to do, as well as leadership wanting Marines to refocus on naval operations.

Army Infantry has less to do in peacetime. Itd be fuck all stupid to throw Marines on MEUs and focus on the middle East while Army rotted away in Garrison. Anyways OP is a boot, he's probably talking out his ass anyway, or reporting second hand.
>>
>>34275300
>he's probably talking out his ass anyway, or reporting second hand.

Could be, but he's right as far as the corps actually developing esprit de corps about being a Marine.

You don't find soldiers in the army with the same kind of pride about being a "soldier" in the army. At best, you'll get unit pride, and it's usually taking pride in NOT being like the typical shitty army unit filled with fat fucks that don't give a shit about their duty.
>>
went from Army to USMC. Had to do their Boot. Basically USMC is a more intense version. Longer more drawn out. Basically makes you physically fit and thoroughly indoctrinated in love of Corps and Country an making you physically fit enough. Big difference DS's Like bellow. Honestly it is a little lackluster compared to the straight up Screaming of a Drill Instructor. then after three fucking months you actually learn how to serve in combat. I defiantly understand why Marines do not have to do any other branch's boot. Also there is like legit no opportunity to get promoted after four years in the USMC. Which is why most people go the other way. Marines unable to re-enlist after four year because they did not hit corporal join the Army. i was silly
>>
>>34275225
lol there are battalions of Marines in Syria, Afghan and Iraq...
>>
File: disappointed.jpg (37KB, 658x370px) Image search: [Google]
disappointed.jpg
37KB, 658x370px
>The peak of his military career is fucking boot camp/basic
>He still talks about boot camp/basic

The failure is real
>>
>>34275276
t. local mall security and Cold Steel enthusiast
>>
>>34273699
Can confirm, am an old man back at college. Kids are either tryhards, loser punks, or puppies.
>>
File: drunkeevee.jpg (76KB, 660x828px) Image search: [Google]
drunkeevee.jpg
76KB, 660x828px
>>34276004
>or puppies.
WAO!!! What Did He Mean By This!?
>>
>>34275987
t. some fat piece of shit pogue army support faggot
>>
>>34276038
>Puppies
Naive, inexperienced, eager to learn, eager to please, not twits, etc
>>
>>34276069
>using the term "pogue" unironically
whats it like to be so insecure
>>
>>34276004
Going to school on the GI Bill now that I'm out as a 27 year old is hell.

These little kids running around all look and act like clones.
>>
>>34276111
>insecure

Only women and faggots use that term, so which one are you?
>>
>>34276199
join an anime club then, old man
>>
File: i love the salt.jpg (47KB, 600x556px) Image search: [Google]
i love the salt.jpg
47KB, 600x556px
>>34276204
shouldn't you be off valiantly protecting the local JC Penney?
>>
I went to Ft. Jackson in 2014.

It was a joke. I already knew it was going to be a lot more amateur compared to USMC initial entry training. It was easy.

I learned more from 1 year of MCJROTC freshman year of highschool on BRM than army Basic Training.

Army has a lot less attention to detail than Marines. You guys might think your little quirks are dumb wastes of time but holy hell the Army needs more of it.

>>34272787
>PT Every day
Good. That's normal.

>Full kit movements all the time
Good.

>Lanes, Camp Bullis
>Nuts

It wasn't nuts. Bullis was easy. We slept every night in hooches and had showers and shitters.
>>
>>34276253
>JC Penney

Since shopping is the first thing that came to your mind, you must be a woman.

Figured as much.
>>
>>34276304
>I went to Ft. Jackson in 2014.
Oh, look, it's another support puke talking shit. Imagine that.

>It was easy.
ALL basic training is easy, you dumb fuck. That's why it's called BASIC training. It's designed for the lowest common denominator.
>>
>>34272717
will not lie was no the best at basi mad at myslef for that more mad that I am a support pogue but remind myslef to become a better solider everyday. long story short the army has a spirit to it more for the untis your attached to many times
>>
>>34274760
> Army pride isn't a thing
This is mostly because every time I think the Army as a whole will do something cool, it fucks up
Hell, this happens at the Division level and downward, all the damn time
>>
>>34276368
Go away hunter
>>
>>34273309
But we bitch about literally everything. What's that? You're at the range? Sucks that it's fucking hotter than a camel's ballsack. The only debils I've known who don't bitch are the super POGs.
>>
>>34272717

The difference is negibible between good soldiers and good debbil dawgs.

The difference between bad ones is that there's more lazy fucks in all of the less cult-ish branch.

How long ye been in?
>>
>>34276304
>Full kit movements all the time
Good.

Lmao print this out and frame it. You can take it off your wall when you do 10 years.
>>
>>34273325
>summer 2016
Company?
>>
>>34272828

It's more of a rotational thing, Marine units already do 7 month deployments during peace time for MEUs and UDPs so they pretty much keep that rotation for combat deployments. Most of us probably would have willingly done a year long deployment, I knew a Marine that was part of an Embedded Training Team for a year, and kept cross-decking to other units so he was on a constant deployment cycle.
>>
File: 100_1221.jpg (766KB, 2032x1524px) Image search: [Google]
100_1221.jpg
766KB, 2032x1524px
>>34273686

What era are we talking about here?

I did infantry OSUT at Benning in '06, back then it was all male, and all infantry DS--all of whom had already done at least one tour in Iraq by then.

Now? Fuck, I don't know. Female infantry 'n' shit.
>>
>>34279429
Recent, like 2014 recent, they still fuck with their boots too. Lol the privates and PFCs I spoke to stood at parade rest for everybody, even Marine Lance Corporals lol and they had that "Oh Shit Corporal is gonna come out of nowhere to fuck me up" look
>>
File: yoursoulIseeit.jpg (16KB, 350x402px) Image search: [Google]
yoursoulIseeit.jpg
16KB, 350x402px
>>34279476

I'm pretty sure I'd just grow gray hair and die of an aneurysm if I met some fresh boot camp Privates from today.

>back in my day intensifies
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.