[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First Gun

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: Ruger yes no.png (70KB, 1173x723px) Image search: [Google]
Ruger yes no.png
70KB, 1173x723px
Hey /k/,

I've read the sticky and been a long time lurker. I've decided to save some money and get my first gun to practice shooting with.

I'm currently working on getting my student loans refinanced so I want to save some money first. But, more than likely by next month I'll be out at a range and practicing in Ohio (near Cleveland).

I'm leaning towards pic related since it's at a great price and reliable gun from what I've heard. Any recommendations other that this?

I know I need .22lr ammo and, eyewear as well as ear protection, but is a sling or anything else necessary for a first-time buyer and shooter?

Please no bully.
>>
a sling is incredibly useful but if its a range toy where the only carrying you do is from your car to the bench you dont need one. also 10/22s dont come with any provisions to mount a sling. you have to buy aftermarket if you want one since ruger are cheap fucks.
>>
>>34271455
10/22 is a good choice, and that's a decent deal on one.

I would say a sling isn't necessary.

You will need something to transport it to the range in. Any generic $10-20 soft rifle case should suit your needs.

You also might need targets.
>>
10/22 Is good. Sling is useless. You don't need eye protection. You don't really need earpro for 22lr but use earplugs anyway. Keep in mind that 22lr rifles will get dirty very fast. Constant cleaning and oiling is required to keep the rifle feeding. Buy a cleaning kit, gun oil (motor oil if you are cheap), and bore cleaning solution. Watch youtube videos on how to takedown a 10/22 for cleaning and get familiar with the rifle. Follow the 4 rules of gun safety. Keep the rifle unloaded and ammunition hidden so you don't tard yourself into a bloody mess. Keep firearms away from kids. Have fun
>>
>>34271455
Im always a stickler for getting a shotgun as a firstgun.
>ease of dissembly
>cheap
>cheap ammo
>ease of operation

Mossberg 500 will run you sub $600 for a midlevel tier trim new.

Used. Pick up a beater for $200
>>
>>34271455
For cheap targets I use a blank sheet of paper and make a large cross with electrical tape.
Also if you ever get the need for high capacity magazines make sure they have metal feed lips, the plastic feed lips suck.
>>
>>34271490

>Don't need eye protection
>Sling is useless
>Needing to constantly clean a 10/22

Nogunz faggot detected
>>
>>34271540
My Savage 64f constantly needs cleaning to properly feed but then again, it is a cheaper rifle.

Why the fuck would you need a sling for a 22lr rifle? Shit weighs nothing. Also, why would you wear eye protection for long guns? The casing does not magically fly into your eye.

Also OP buy a cheap soft case and never dryfire a 22lr firearm.
>>
Not OP but in a similar situation, is there a reason not to get a Marlin Model 60? Shits like $80-90 cheaper around me and thats $80-90 more I can put towards ammo and range time if the difference is negligible.
>>
>>34271568
Seconded. Cheaper and more accurate than a 10/22. Not the gun to get if you like to accessorize though.
>>
>>34271553
Out of battery detonation due to bolt closing against the rim of a cartridge that failed to feed.
>>
>>34271568
I read good things about the Marlin 60. However, you have to load the ammunition in the tubular magazine near the muzzle of the rifle. Your hand will constantly swipe past the muzzle which can be unnerving. Box magazines are safer.
>>
>>34271568
>is there a reason not to get a Marlin Model 60?
if you want aftermarket and like tinkering dont get marlin since there is none
on the otherhand the 60 has no major defects or annoyances like a 10/22 that have to be solved with aftermarket.
>>
>>34271553

Yeah, I've literally put thousands of rounds through a 10/22 without cleaning. Only extra cleaning is on the Match barrels

>You sling up to have a stable platform, and when you need your hands

>I know you haven't shot that much. Ricochets, .22 brass shavings, OOB, excess gas when suppressed etc.

>>34271568

It's a cunt to load, the FCG is a nightmare, and the recoil spring will kink in half when reinstalling.

Not bad, really cheap, but the 10/22 is a hammer that can literally be banged all day.
>>
>>34271455
This was my first gun and it's never failed me in the 15 years I've owned it; aside from the occasional cheap magazine malfunction. I suggest getting a cleaning kit and learning the basics of disassembling the gun; it's incredibly simple and it builds good habits to clean it after every use. And as dumb as it is, it feels really satisfying to put it back together after cleaning.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.