[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/k/, I just spotted a couple hogs on my land and am relatively

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1496710054685.gif (2MB, 240x103px) Image search: [Google]
1496710054685.gif
2MB, 240x103px
/k/, I just spotted a couple hogs on my land and am relatively new to guns, what rifle would you recommend I buy to help deal with them? Not hunting, mind you, just in case I run into them with my dogs while walking my land.
>>
>>34271282
whatever floats your boat man, remove invasive species. my recommendation is a fal.
>>
.357, 10mm, .44, .50
most things in 7.62
a semi auto 12 ga
>>
>>34271298
The caliber and semi auto are appealing, any ideas on lighter rifles or will I have to suck it up if I want to have stopping power?
>>
>>34271329
Shotgun.
Slug, buck, slug.
>>
>>34271282
Something semi-auto in a .30 cal, whatever you like. AR-10, AK-47, Garand. Get a bayonet.
>>
File: 1496301762165.jpg (13KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1496301762165.jpg
13KB, 200x200px
>>34271332
Any specific recommendations? I recently just bought my first rifle and was raised nogunz
>>
>>34271342
Is a bayonet effective against hogs? Or will my shit get stuck in them and get me gored?
>>
>>34271358
Good rule is you want to stay as far back from an animal in danger as possible. Fuck getting injured because lolbayonet.

You may not be happy with an intermediate caliber's effect on the hogs but really it comes down to shot placement as always. Something in .308 would be fine.

Alternatively a shotgun with slugs. There is nothing wrong with using a remmington 870 or mossberg 500 for this.

>>34271348
What is said first rifle?
>>
>>34271332
Yep, good old double barrel (O&U or SxS) with hammers is about as simple, safe and reliable as it gets

>>34271358
If you dunno what you're doing or just unlucky... yeah you're going to get fucked up
>>
>>34271282
I have had good results from .308. If you want to hunt them, get a semi-auto or a bolt / lever action and fuck them up. For close encounters when walking doggo, maybe a 45 handgun or a shotty / ar? Just don't catch your dog with the buckshot.
>>
>I want something to have on me when walking my doggos

The lightest and simplest you wanna go is a revolver in .357 or .44 mag, just make sure it isn't an airweight snubby. Revolvers are pretty foolproof.

From there you can go upward to rifles and shotguns, but they will be heavier to carry on you.

For a shotgun, in the absolutely indestructible and impossible to screw up route, you could get a break action single barrel or double barrel gun - but if you miss then god help you. You could look at pump actions, and there you're looking at something like a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500/590. And then there are all the semi autos that are out there, those I am not so knowledgable of - but what's important here is, no matter what you get, you load it with quality ammo. Slugs, if you can get them.

If you want a rifle to shoot the things you want something in 7.62 (x39, x51, etc) or .30-06. You can get an AR in .308 or 7.62x51 that'll do the job nicely, or there are all the flavors of battle rifles - the FAL, the M1A (Although those are pricy), the PTR, etc.

If leverguns tickle your pickle then they come in those same revolver cartridges, and then all the way up to things like .30-30 and .45-70. .45-70 is particularly good for pigs because relatively shorter (lighter) barrels don't hurt its performance much, and it's a nice big heavy round to blow big holes in the shits, but it'll kick hard for it.

Out of all of the above, if I had to pick one of them to recommend, I would say the shotgun. It's about as simple as it gets and packs a wallop, is hard to screw up, and isn't as easy to accidentally shoot yourself with as the revolver is.

Second pick goes for a .308 AR, because then you also aren't hurting for oomph and have a deeper magazine/magazines and quicker reloading - but really, one magazine should see you through any pigs you might encounter. It has a ridiculous, insane aftermarket if you later decide you want to tacticool it
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.